Bill O'Brien to be fired per Glazer

Matt39

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Was he, though?  I remember him doing an interview in the off-season where he broke down a handful of throws Osweiller made with the Broncos that he said were were so impressive, that he was fine with the team bringing him in without so much as a face to face sit down before hand.

If the guy has a rep as a QB guru, and that's why you brought him in, why would ownership force him to take a guy he didn't like?

This was the story around the original signing--that management signed osweiler without O'Brien's input. Who know what the truth is there. 

Well...he didn't exactly make hackenberg NFL-ready, did he? 

players play...Obrien couldn't clean up our dumpster fire. 

Coaches make a difference, yes, but our players suck ass. I'd be fine bringing him in as OC. 

I think. 

**** this team

**** em all

If Sean Payton is really available he's the guy to go get , if he gets traded and we go into next year and go 4-12 with Bowles again I don't know how Woody recovers from that one with the fan base ...not that he gives a s##%

16 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

Well...he didn't exactly make hackenberg NFL-ready, did he? 

players play...Obrien couldn't clean up our dumpster fire. 

Coaches make a difference, yes, but our players suck ass. I'd be fine bringing him in as OC. 

I think. 

**** this team

**** em all

You know he only coached Hack as a freshman, right?

35 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Any Jet fan that would not take Bill Obrien over Todd Bowles tells me all I need to know about the Jet fans, they're no smarter than Woody Johnson. Who knows if he comes available but just like upgrading players, if you can upgrade your coaching staff you do.

I will take my dog over Bowles to lead the Jets. That's not the point. If Bowles is canned, I rather see somebody else. 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He'd be an ideal hire. He went to Penn State when they were a trainwreck and he managed to keep things together and outperform everyone's expectations and is the reason the team is as good as they are today. He also finds a way to win games when they team lacks a QB. 

If the jets don't try to hire him and fire bowles they are a joke. 

No, James Franklin and Joe Moorhead are the reasons Penn State is as good as they are today.

5 hours ago, Jolot said:

Toms right , none of these Belichick guys are coming here again ..ever..it's not worth even thinking about , even if Obrien is available....he's not available to us . 

I don't know. He hasn't been with Belichick since 2011. Unless O'Briien just doesn't like or think highly of Maccagnan, it's an obvious fit. It's hard to imagine Maccagnan not having received significant influence from O'Brien, and he jumped on Hackenberg so early. That would suggest Maccagnan has a high opinion of O'Brien, but not necessarily the other way around.

The Jets will be coming off a garbage season on and off the field, and will be cleaning out a bunch of players that led to it. They'll also be drafting high and using up a bunch of freed-up cap space to (hopefullly) make improvements. Expectations would be low for 2017, especially if he takes a particular interest in Hackenberg, and he'd have a somewhat long leash since any team is less likely to fire back to back HCs quickly. 

Likewise, Maccagnan would be wise to lobby Woody hard for a coaching change, as it would extend his own job security by at least another year and probably at least another 2 at that. Another year of Bowles making his already-questionable moves look even worse, and Maccagnan may be tossed right along with him a year from now.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I have been against firing Bowles...But in this case it would be hard to pass up on O'Brien.  Especially if you thinks he can have Hack play at a high level

For me it depends on what Woody is likely to do a year from now, in the event of another letdown season with Bowles at the helm. Is he likely to just fire Bowles and leave MM in place? In that case I'd prefer hiring O'Brien now to Woody's consultants doing another search for HC-only a year later, which will surely lead to another defensive coordinator who'd never been a HC at any level.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

For me it depends on what Woody is likely to do a year from now, in the event of another letdown season with Bowles at the helm. Is he likely to just fire Bowles and leave MM in place? In that case I'd prefer hiring O'Brien now to Woody's consultants doing another search for HC-only a year later, which will surely lead to another defensive coordinator who'd never been a HC at any level.

The best case scenario is if you can get him as OC - getting rid of Gaily this year and most likely firing Bowles at the end of next year you'll be on 3 offensive systems in 3 years.  That's tough.

Bring in O'Brien as OC and when Bowles gets fired you can promote O'Brien to HC.

Is this a joke? Guy has a winning record this season and got into the dance. How are they talking about firing him? We have 4 wins, run down the clock and kick field goals when we have a chance to go for 6 instead, and our players are having a mutiny... and our coach gets another season. This is.. amazing. 

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The best case scenario is if you can get him as OC - getting rid of Gaily this year and most likely firing Bowles at the end of next year you'll be on 3 offensive systems in 3 years.  That's tough.

Bring in O'Brien as OC and when Bowles gets fired you can promote O'Brien to HC.

Why would Bill Obrien not just take another Head Coaching job then? If he gets let go he'll have more options than working under a crappy coach & motivator like Todd Bowles. 

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't see O'Brien being that desperate that he would need to take a demotion to OC for a low-regarded HC. If he takes an OC position I'd think it would be with NE should McDaniels take a HC offer. Or with Baltimore, seeing as their OC position is also vacant and he'd have a veteran, superbowl-winning QB on his team.

Plus O'Brien would likely get promoted only if the team is doing poorly only on the other side of the ball, resulting in a poor record again. If he's done a good job as OC it will help Bowles retain his job as HC. It's a calculated risk, but it's also a risk O'Brien wouldn't need to take. There will be multiple HC offers & he won't have to lower himself to being an OC under Bowles. Not unless ultimately being HC of the Jets is his dream job.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't see O'Brien being that desperate that he would need to take a demotion to OC for a low-regarded HC. If he takes an OC position I'd think it would be with NE should McDaniels take a HC offer. Or with Baltimore, seeing as their OC position is also vacant and he'd have a veteran, superbowl-winning QB on his team.

Plus O'Brien would likely get promoted only if the team is doing poorly only on the other side of the ball, resulting in a poor record again. If he's done a good job as OC it will help Bowles retain his job as HC. It's a calculated risk, but it's also a risk O'Brien wouldn't need to take. There will be multiple HC offers & he won't have to lower himself to being an OC under Bowles. Not unless ultimately being HC of the Jets is his dream job.

This team is going to be bad next year no matter who the HC is.  Bowles is gone next year -

If the O can show promise or growth or see Hack begin to develop then it's easy to promote him even though the team lost.  With that said, I do hear ya about him not taking an OC job.

10 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

That's a good one.....You know that if they didn't win the Super Bowl within two years the fans would call for his head.

Not after this season & watching these veterans collecting checks while checking out. A good percentage of Jet fans understand the bandaid method is not the way to go. Perfect time to do it right with Brady & BB, with probably 3 more good years left.

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Just a question if O'Brien is such a FANTASTIC HC, then why are they firing him?????

Ummm more conservative than Bowles, that what you want?

Egos.

Not everything is about capability. Men are petty.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You think he will get a HC offer? I mean it's possible - but I think he is going to have to go back to being an OC for a few years. Either way if the Jets could get him in here as the OC it would be a huge hire. 

O'Brien hired a lot of  ex BB coaches who were also not brought back to NE. I don't expect him to go back there at all. Also, his future from NE would hinge on how well McDaniels does after he leaves. So there is risk with that too. All things considered, I think it makes a lot of sense for him to go to the Jets as OC.

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

You think he will get a HC offer? I mean it's possible - but I think he is going to have to go back to being an OC for a few years. Either way if the Jets could get him in here as the OC it would be a huge hire. 

O'Brien hired a lot of  ex BB coaches who were also not brought back to NE. I don't expect him to go back there at all. Also, his future from NE would hinge on how well McDaniels does after he leaves. So there is risk with that too. All things considered, I think it makes a lot of sense for him to go to the Jets as OC.

Sure. He hasn't had a good QB there since basically ever, yet he hasn't missed the playoffs since Fitzpatrick was his QB, even when he lost arguably the NFL's best player, whom the defense was built around.

I don't think anyone with multiple choices would choose to take a demotion to OC, to the Jets, who have no QB, whose HC is a dumbass and may well be fired a year later, and whose GM's superiority to even the lousy HC is purely subjective. All of this added together isn't a textbook recipe for increasing O'Brien's stature around the league.

I think as likely as not he'd take a college HC position before a pro OC position. There's simply no way that the best offer that his agent fields is offensive coordinator of the QB-less Todd Bowles-coached NY Jets. Even the Jets' HC position isn't such a marvelous opportunity for a seasoned HC.

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Sure. He hasn't had a good QB there since basically ever, yet he hasn't missed the playoffs since Fitzpatrick was his QB, even when he lost arguably the NFL's best player, whom the defense was built around.

I don't think anyone with multiple choices would choose to take a demotion to OC, to the Jets, who have no QB, whose HC is a dumbass and may well be fired a year later, and whose GM's superiority to even the lousy HC is purely subjective. All of this added together isn't a textbook recipe for increasing O'Brien's stature around the league.

I think as likely as not he'd take a college HC position before a pro OC position. There's simply no way that the best offer that his agent fields is offensive coordinator of the QB-less Todd Bowles-coached NY Jets. Even the Jets' HC position isn't such a marvelous opportunity for a seasoned HC.

What team specifically do you think would have interest? I don't see any. Going to the wrong college program could be a horrible move too. 

5 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Just a question if O'Brien is such a FANTASTIC HC, then why are they firing him?????

Ummm more conservative than Bowles, that what you want?

He's won his division twice with Brock Osweiler, Brian Hoyer, and Tom Savage... and JJ Watt was out the entire year....

Archived