Bill O'Brien to be fired per Glazer

Matt39

Just now, RSJ said:

What team specifically do you think would have interest? I don't see any. Going to the wrong college program could be a horrible move too. 

I think any team that just fired its HC would be interested in a HC that got his team to the playoffs without a QB in back-to-back seasons. GMs are aware of just what a handicap that is, vs a HC that can just ride a really good QB who erases tons of coaching blunders.

So far the openings (or possible openings) are:

1. Rams 
  2. Jaguars
  3. Bills
  4. 49ers
  5. Chargers (so far McCoy looks about as safe as Bowles: about a 3:2 shot he returns, but those aren't awesome odds.)
  6. Jets (maybe)
  7. Saints (unlikely but possible; they have been under .500 since the 2013 season ended)
  8. Bengals (also unlikely, but Lewis hasn't gotten his team past the wildcard round in his 14 years there. A 6-win slide from 2015 may just be the last straw if they think an available Bill O'Brien is a better fit)
  9. GB or Detroit. Could be the loser of this game gets canned. Not betting money on it, but it's possible. Each has had rumors of being on the hot seat at one time or another over the past 6 months.

This doesn't include any college programs that would be eager to get an experienced NFL HC.

I can't believe O'Brien would have to settle for the Jets' OC position, for a (bad) lame duck HC on his last chance, on a team without a QB.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glazer is saying there is a disconnect between O'Brien and the Texans org. And that he could be fired if Houston loses the first playoff games which is at Oakland. The thing is the Raiders might have to start their 3rd string Qb Connor Cook who's hardly played. I was just thinking. If Raiders interested in a Qb available could they sign him. Like if the Jets cut Fitz tomorrow. Could Oakland sign him?

27 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think any team that just fired its HC would be interested in a HC that got his team to the playoffs without a QB in back-to-back seasons. GMs are aware of just what a handicap that is, vs a HC that can just ride a really good QB who erases tons of coaching blunders.

So far the openings (or possible openings) are:

1. Rams 
  2. Jaguars
  3. Bills
  4. 49ers
  5. Chargers (so far McCoy looks about as safe as Bowles: about a 3:2 shot he returns, but those aren't awesome odds.)
  6. Jets (maybe)
  7. Saints (unlikely but possible; they have been under .500 since the 2013 season ended)
  8. Bengals (also unlikely, but Lewis hasn't gotten his team past the wildcard round in his 14 years there. A 6-win slide from 2015 may just be the last straw if they think an available Bill O'Brien is a better fit)
  9. GB or Detroit. Could be the loser of this game gets canned. Not betting money on it, but it's possible. Each has had rumors of being on the hot seat at one time or another over the past 6 months.

This doesn't include any college programs that would be eager to get an experienced NFL HC.

I can't believe O'Brien would have to settle for the Jets' OC position, for a (bad) lame duck HC on his last chance, on a team without a QB.

Thats what I mean. If you go down that list, I dont see any of those teams interested in hiring him.

9 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Thats what I mean. If you go down that list, I dont see any of those teams interested in hiring him.

Why? Who would they be more interested in hiring over O'Brien, and why would O'Brien be a worse choice than those other candidates?

Not trying to break balls; I'm seriously curious why you think there are between 4 and 8 more attractive head coaches out there. Actually whatever the number of potential teams is, add one more to that since you'd have to include the Texans among the teams that would rather someone else coach their team.

@RSJ

Known openings now:

1. Jaguars (so far they've interviewed Coughlin I think)
  2. Rams
  3. Broncos
  4. Chargers
  5. Bills
  6. 49ers

I can't believe there are 7 NFL teams with HC vacancies that would rather hire someone other than O'Brien. Not that he's the greatest eva but repeatedly making the playoffs without a QB will carry some weight. 

I'll believe it when I see it, that the best opportunity for O'Brien - or even among the better opportunities - is to be the OC for the QB-less Jets, with a conservative, defensive-minded HC that just watched his team tie the NFL record for fewest takeaways in a season. If he does a good job, what he may end up doing is help Todd Bowles get an extension.

(This would be very Jetsy, I admit: after extending Bowles, O'Brien then leaves for a HC position elsewhere, and we go back to being garbage as a temporarily-good 2017 offense goes back to crappola in 2018 without him lol).

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

@RSJ

Known openings now:

1. Jaguars (so far they've interviewed Coughlin I think) Jags are going to Coughlin imho
  2. Rams - Possible but Rams are a disaster sort of. Bill O'Brien's boring style won't sell tickets.
  3. Broncos - Cant see him working for Elway after Elway almost signed the QB he hates.
  4. Chargers - They will probably keep their HC in fear that the Broncos will take him
  5. Bills - Anthony Lynn
  6. 49ers - Depends on the GM they hire really.

I can't believe there are 7 NFL teams with HC vacancies that would rather hire someone other than O'Brien. Not that he's the greatest eva but repeatedly making the playoffs without a QB will carry some weight. 

I'll believe it when I see it, that the best opportunity for O'Brien - or even among the better opportunities - is to be the OC for the QB-less Jets, with a conservative, defensive-minded HC that just watched his team tie the NFL record for fewest takeaways in a season. If he does a good job, what he may end up doing is help Todd Bowles get an extension.

(This would be very Jetsy, I admit: after extending Bowles, O'Brien then leaves for a HC position elsewhere, and we go back to being garbage as a temporarily-good 2017 offense goes back to crappola in 2018 without him lol).

I am not saying its right. I am just saying that the above is what I see personally. You are totally right he should be hired by one of these teams. I just don't think its a slam dunk.

It would be totally Jetsy. lol. But maybe he could develop a QB. I had the feeling from all the quotes that Mac was O'Briens ally in the front office. We will see. Never a boring offseason with the Jets. Only boring regular seasons. lol

11 minutes ago, RSJ said:
  1. Jaguars (so far they've interviewed Coughlin I think) Jags are going to Coughlin imho
  2. Rams - Possible but Rams are a disaster sort of. Bill O'Brien's boring style won't sell tickets.
  3. Broncos - Cant see him working for Elway after Elway almost signed the QB he hates.
  4. Chargers - They will probably keep their HC in fear that the Broncos will take him
  5. Bills - Anthony Lynn
  6. 49ers - Depends on the GM they hire really.

Jaguars may hire Coughlin. They did interview him. But they also didn't yet hire him. It may be just a formality until they can satisfy the Rooney Rule, or it may be a desire to see what else is out there before settling on Coughlin.

His "boring" style may be due to the QBs he had.

Elway should value O'Brien's opinion on the subject since he was right and Elway wrong about Osweiller. If, in fact, Houston signed him despite O'Brien's strong protests. I don't know that Elway was so in love with Osweiller either, or he'd have matched any offer & moved around whatever was necessary. His top offer was what, $14m? I'll bet he was never so happy to be outbid.

Bolts did fire Mike McCoy.

Anthony Lynn may be retained past today's embarrassment, and retaining him as HC may be why they felt he'd do them a solid by benching Taylor per their request (which Rex wouldn't do), but he's not hired until he's hired. We'll see, but I can't believe Buffalo would have been O'Brien's top choice either (unless it was his only option). 

49ers could do - and have done - worse. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Jaguars may hire Coughlin. They did interview him. But they also didn't yet hire him. It may be just a formality until they can satisfy the Rooney Rule, or it may be a desire to see what else is out there before settling on Coughlin.

Elway should value O'Brien's opinion on the subject since he was right and Elway wrong about Osweiller. If, in fact, Houston signed him despite O'Brien's strong protests. I don't know that Elway was so in love with Osweiller either, or he'd have matched any offer & moved around whatever was necessary. His top offer was what, $14m? I'll bet he was never so happy to be outbid.

Anthony Lynn may be retained past today's embarrassment, and retaining him as HC may be why they felt he'd do them a solid by benching Taylor per their request (which Rex wouldn't do), but he's not hired until he's hired. We'll see, but I can't believe Buffalo would have been O'Brien's top choice either (unless it was his only option). 

It's going to be interesting. I hate Norv Turner as a HC - but love him as a coordinator. McCoy also a good option. Didn't know he just got fired..

Just now, RSJ said:

It's going to be interesting. I hate Norv Turner as a HC - but love him as a coordinator. McCoy also a good option. Didn't know he just got fired..

Could happen. Like you said, an "also ran" HC candidate might take the OC position figuring he'd get the nod after 1 more year of Bowles.

I don't know. I just want a real QB with an actual future beyond the upcoming season.

Could happen. Like you said, an "also ran" HC candidate might take the OC position figuring he'd get the nod after 1 more year of Bowles.

I don't know. I just want a real QB with an actual future beyond the upcoming season.

Who would you go after for that QB? 

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Interesting Question .

I'd honestly like to know, @Sperm Edwards is a very smart guy, and usually is very well thought out. He also usually doesn't put himself out there with these types of things, and plays the sit back and critique angle instead. I'd love to see him put himself out there with the path he wants us to take at the QB position. 

11 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Who would you go after for that QB? 

Will Sanchez be available?

In all honesty I'm pretty open minded, so long as it isn't another veteran patch, designed to fill in until the Hackenberg blows up (oh, the humanity!). No bandaid starters in their mid-late 30s: Cutler, Romo, Fitz. We're not winning a Super Bowl with any of them and all that would do is delay the process.

Take the best QB we can get our hands on in the draft, so long as it's not another QB who needs to hold a clipboard for 2-3 years before he's good enough to be 2nd string. We already have a couple of those. I'll leave it to others to rate these prospects I haven't seen. Since the 2 we have now have looked so terrible thus far, consider drafting two even if we take one earlier.

I'm not going to pretend I closely remember the great Glennon, but our crew should be agonizing over every snap he took (and allow more slack the further back hey look). I think the knock on him was taking sacks, but I don't know how much of that was the line. IIRC, McCown also became just as sack-prone after moving from Chicago to Tampa, and I'm not convinced he had the best QB coaching either. Even still, his numbers weren't that bad all things considered. Hard to say how interested I'd be before seeing the pricetag. 

Also don't be afraid to cut bait with either of the two we've got. Keep the best 3, even if that means cutting Hackenberg after 2 summers.

29 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I'd honestly like to know, @Sperm Edwards is a very smart guy, and usually is very well thought out. He also usually doesn't put himself out there with these types of things, and plays the sit back and critique angle instead. I'd love to see him put himself out there with the path he wants us to take at the QB position. 

lol I just saw this after I posted. Sorry for being off the site for the past 12 hours. 

I must have a hazier memory than I realized. I only critiqued the Fitzpatrick route after he fell on his face? In my mind I'm remembering otherwise. I must be getting old. 

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In all honesty I'm pretty open minded, so long as it isn't another veteran patch, designed to fill in until the Hackenberg blows up (oh, the humanity!). No bandaid starters in their mid-late 30s: Cutler, Romo, Fitz. We're not winning a Super Bowl with any of them and all that would do is delay the process.

Take the best QB we can get our hands on in the draft, so long as it's not another QB who needs to hold a clipboard for 2-3 years before he's good enough to be 2nd string. We already have a couple of those. I'll leave it to others to rate these prospects I haven't seen. Since the 2 we have now have looked so terrible thus far, consider drafting two even if we take one earlier.

I'm not going to pretend I closely remember the great Glennon, but our crew should be agonizing over every snap he took (and allow more slack the further back hey look). I think the knock on him was taking sacks, but I don't know how much of that was the line. IIRC, McCown also became just as sack-prone after moving from Chicago to Tampa, and I'm not convinced he had the best QB coaching either. Even still, his numbers weren't that bad all things considered. Hard to say how interested I'd be before seeing the pricetag. 

Also don't be afraid to cut bait with either of the two we've got. Keep the best 3, even if that means cutting Hackenberg after 2 summers.

I am pretty much 100% in agreement here.

lol I just saw this after I posted. Sorry for being off the site for the past 12 hours. 

I must have a hazier memory than I realized. I only critiqued the Fitzpatrick route after he fell on his face? In my mind I'm remembering otherwise. I must be getting old. 

That was in response to Tinstar, not you. 

That is not what I am saying at all, I am saying you almost never put out there the guy you want to go after. At least I have never seen it.

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

That was in response to Tinstar, not you. 

That is not what I am saying at all, I am saying you almost never put out there the guy you want to go after. At least I have never seen it.

In fairness, I don't watch much college ball at all. Certainly not enough to gauge whether a QB prospect is worth a top pick or a 7th round pick. But for someone like Maccagnan, Idzik, Tannenbaum, Bradway, etc. on the other hand, that's their business. The #1 task at hand for any of them is to see to it the Jets have a good QB to build around.

I don't even mind if they miss. I mind if they miss on what's an obviously misguided move:

For example, I was fine with them moving up for Sanchez. He sucked and became one of my less-favorite players, in case you'd forgotten. But the move to get him was sound, even if I was nervous that a player expected to go between 16-20 shot up to #5 after he'd played his last game. Also Tannenbaum didn't surrender a lot for such a large climb to #5. His charming personality aside, I thought Geno was a sound pick at #39 (since no one would have dropped their jaw if we'd taken him a full round earlier), though he's another that didn't pan out. Had they taken Lynch at #20, and he ultimately busted, same thing (but I was against trading up to get him; every picture I saw of his delivery he was throwing sidearm, which to me negates his prototype height). Ditto Petty with a 4th round pick, once things had reached that far. Was fine to take him at that point, but the team should have already made other arrangements well before the 4th round of an expected rebuild season.

On the other hand, failing to move up for a QB two years in a row when it was doable is worth second-guessing. Not taking another that fell to our pick is also worth second-guessing. So is taking Hackenberg with our 2nd rounder -- a huge project despite being a 3 year starter in college, who was deemed by plenty of people to be untouchable except for a throwaway pick just in case you get lucky. Again, well worth second guessing, especially when he's so far turned out as bad as expected (maybe even worse). And lastly, making such a half-assed effort to pick up anyone other than overdrafting Hackenberg, so he could get humiliated into chasing after Ryan Fitzpatrick for 5 months, only to have him fail as I expected, yeah sure I'm going to second-guess that. You do the same with Geno. Fair game, as far as I'm concerned, but the closest any Jets GM/HC/OC/QBC has come to going all-in on Geno, in the last 2 years, was Mike Maccagnan in 2015. So there's that.

Otherwise, despite your claim to the contrary, I've always put out there what positions I'd look at in the draft and which I'd stay away from at all costs, based on our draft position. Individual college players are difficult for me to rank, as I've said, because I didn't watch them play. But when I'd hear talk of drafting a guard with the 9th pick in the country, I let my opinion on such foolishness be known well before the draft.

14 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I had Marrone might be getting the Jags job

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In fairness, I don't watch much college ball at all. Certainly not enough to gauge whether a QB prospect is worth a top pick or a 7th round pick. But for someone like Maccagnan, Idzik, Tannenbaum, Bradway, etc. on the other hand, that's their business. The #1 task at hand for any of them is to see to it the Jets have a good QB to build around.

I don't even mind if they miss. I mind if they miss on what's an obviously misguided move:

For example, I was fine with them moving up for Sanchez. He sucked and became one of my less-favorite players, in case you'd forgotten. But the move to get him was sound, even if I was nervous that a player expected to go between 16-20 shot up to #5 after he'd played his last game. Also Tannenbaum didn't surrender a lot for such a large climb to #5. His charming personality aside, I thought Geno was a sound pick at #39 (since no one would have dropped their jaw if we'd taken him a full round earlier), though he's another that didn't pan out. Had they taken Lynch at #20, and he ultimately busted, same thing (but I was against trading up to get him; every picture I saw of his delivery he was throwing sidearm, which to me negates his prototype height). Ditto Petty with a 4th round pick, once things had reached that far. Was fine to take him at that point, but the team should have already made other arrangements well before the 4th round of an expected rebuild season.

On the other hand, failing to move up for a QB two years in a row when it was doable is worth second-guessing. Not taking another that fell to our pick is also worth second-guessing. So is taking Hackenberg with our 2nd rounder -- a huge project despite being a 3 year starter in college, who was deemed by plenty of people to be untouchable except for a throwaway pick just in case you get lucky. Again, well worth second guessing, especially when he's so far turned out as bad as expected (maybe even worse). And lastly, making such a half-assed effort to pick up anyone other than overdrafting Hackenberg, so he could get humiliated into chasing after Ryan Fitzpatrick for 5 months, only to have him fail as I expected, yeah sure I'm going to second-guess that. You do the same with Geno. Fair game, as far as I'm concerned, but the closest any Jets GM/HC/OC/QBC has come to going all-in on Geno, in the last 2 years, was Mike Maccagnan in 2015. So there's that.

Otherwise, despite your claim to the contrary, I've always put out there what positions I'd look at in the draft and which I'd stay away from at all costs, based on our draft position. Individual college players are difficult for me to rank, as I've said, because I didn't watch them play. But when I'd hear talk of drafting a guard with the 9th pick in the country, I let my opinion on such foolishness be known well before the draft.

All fair points. I was wondering more if you had a preferred FA or Trade target at the QB position. Seems like the two most likely will be Glennon or Taylor.

1 minute ago, thadude said:

I had Marrone might be getting the Jags job

Could very well be. All I said is it's not written in stone that the job is going to Coughlin. I think they'd view Coughlin as an upgrade and instant credibility, but ideally they'd like a reason to give it to someone else.

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

All fair points. I was wondering more if you had a preferred FA or Trade target at the QB position. Seems like the two most likely will be Glennon or Taylor.

I can see the upside and downside of either.

Glennon got a bit of a chance and didn't totally collapse despite some pretty bad surroundings. Back to back HCs about to be fired (and deservedly so). He should have had a pair of wideouts but Mike Williams just didn't continue the promising career he started off on. His only real target was a fast-aging Vincent Jackson, whose drops would make Brandon Marshall blush. He caught less than half his targets after finally getting paid, but his drops went way up. I don't know if the reason for the low catch rate was on VJ or if, with so few others to throw to, he was just targeted whether or not he was open. It's just interesting that Glennon had a higher completion percentage away from VJ than he had when targeting him. On the flip side, VJ's catch rate noticeably went up after they went away from Glennon in favor of the uninspiring McCown. At the same time, he hasn't taken a snap since the first half of his 2nd season with the Bucs drafting of Winston. In his favor, Tampa wasn't so quick to dump him even with Winston locked in there. They do seem to like him, just not as much as Jameis.

Taylor is a tough call. On the one hand he benefitted, at times, from some superior OL blocking. This year they had injuries that made his protection worse. On the other hand, last year was an inconsistent one for McCoy. This year McCoy had one of his best seasons, and on the Jets he isn't likely to be able to lean on a 5.4ypc, 13 TD season from one of the game's special RBs (who, I just realized from looking it up now, caught 50 of his 57 targets). Our starting QB threw 6 picks in 1 game. Taylor threw 6 picks all season long, two seasons in a row. He's a weapon with his feet and, while that's always an injury concern, it also means a broken play can turn into a 1st down run instead of a sack, incompletion, or interception. Especially on a must-pass 3rd down, it's the difference between maintaining and losing a possession. I can't get on him too hard for the lower TD numbers because his HC was known to be overly conservative (and with the year he had it was hardly foolish to keep putting the ball into McCoy's hands). 

Cost may be a factor, but all other things equal, I'd go with Taylor if they go the FA route. It's just been so long since Glennon has seen the field, and it may be some time before we put together the type of line a QB like Glennon would need to really shine. I also get nervous bringing in QBs that couldn't manage a 60% completion rate in his 2 NFL seasons (or in his senior year prior to that). I'm also less impressed by Glennon's size because 25% of his stature is neck and head, so his release point may not be any higher than Taylor's despite a 7" height advantage. 

This thread is even worse than than the I :wub: Tyrod Taylor thread,

Just what has fuggin O'Brien done at all to have people slobbering over him.  He was Bradys mineral water getter for a few years, was okay at penn state, his success in Houston is 100% due to a great defense and a horrible division.

He's an offense and QB guru and actually went out of his way to get ex pats in hoyer and mallett, both awful and then Oswieler arrives (I have still not seen even one credible bit of info that he didn't want oswieler and I refuse to believe the gm got this QB against the wishes of his QB guru)

His offenses and QB play has stunk year after year.  this would be akin to other teams salivating over Todd bowles when bowles the D guru had the worse d in the league this year.

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This thread is even worse than than the I :wub: Tyrod Taylor thread,

Just what has fuggin O'Brien done at all to have people slobbering over him.  He was Bradys mineral water getter for a few years, was okay at penn state, his success in Houston is 100% due to a great defense and a horrible division.

He's an offense and QB guru and actually went out of his way to get ex pats in hoyer and mallett, both awful and then Oswieler arrives (I have still not seen even one credible bit of info that he didn't want oswieler and I refuse to believe the gm got this QB against the wishes of his QB guru)

His offenses and QB play has stunk year after year.  this would be akin to other teams salivating over Todd bowles when bowles the D guru had the worse d in the league this year.

Probably has something to do with 3 straight winning seasons despite having garbage at QB like fitz/hoyer/osweiler

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

Probably has something to do with 3 straight winning seasons despite having garbage at QB like fitz/hoyer/osweiler

Yeah as I said, awful division great defense and the part of the team he is most responsible for having those QBs that in at least two cases he hand picked and whom he failed to improve even a smidgen.  The whole rationale for getting obrien is this fable that he is a QB guru and a great offensive guy.

The guy we presently have as our OC has on several occasions got good performance out of jag qbs.  Obriens offense has gotten worse each year and he is going through qbs like people change under wear,

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah as I said, awful division great defense and the part of the team he is most responsible for having those QBs that in at least two cases he hand picked and whom he failed to improve even a smidgen.  The whole rationale for getting obrien is this fable that he is a QB guru and a great offensive guy.

The guy we presently have as our OC has on several occasions got good performance out of jag qbs.  Obriens offense has gotten worse each year and he is going through qbs like people change under wear,

Most coaches aren't able to turn horrible QB's into gold, I'm not necessarily going to hold o'brien fully accountable for the lack of talent at the position. The question is though do you think he is a better head coaching candidate than what we have in bowles

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Doesn't seem that realistic.  Take the best QB we can get in the draft?  From what I've read, supposedly this isn't a good draft for QBs.  If we don't sign a veteran guy to be our starter, I don't see what we're left with.  If we draft a QB at #6 then we've got the draft pick, Hack and possibly Petty (if he's not cut).  Hard to imagine the Jets are going into next year w/ that group.  Glennon might hold out for an Osweiler type contract (or bigger) which could potentially set the team back several more years.  Unless we can get Tyrod Taylor or make a blockbuster trade, I don't see how we don't sign a band aid starter again.

Archived