Would you do this if possible?

Jetster

The NY Jets have needed a stud pass rusher forever! We've got Leo, Mo, Simon, up front. Hypothetically, would you trade Sheldon Richardson to move up so you could draft Myles Garrett or Tim Williams? 

Whichever one you decided would be the best NFL pass rusher? 

I ask this question because Leonard Williams is a BEAST. If Macc can find some pass rushers, Leo & Mo would be freed up a lot more on the inside to wreak havoc. Being in the 6th spot in this draft without any concensus #1 QBs, there are plenty of stud players available in the 1st 6 picks. I know fans are like "we need more picks", well we had 12 in 2014, how did that work out? What we need are STARS and we already have one playing on our Dline inside. What we truly need is our own stud pass rusher! 

My thinking is we're going to free up a lot of money unless we go veteran QB. I don't care who you have in the secondary, if your facing a decent QB, if you don't get pressure, they will find the open man. A team still picking in the top 6 & getting Sheldon Richardson is a pretty great coup. Just a thought, because I'm all for going after Jamie Collins. Pretty exciting group, Collins, Jenkins, Lee, Garrett or Williams with Leo, Mo, & Simon. 

22 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The NY Jets have needed a stud pass rusher forever! We've got Leo, Mo, Simon, up front. Hypothetically, would you trade Sheldon Richardson to move up so you could draft Myles Garrett or Tim Williams? 

I ask this question because Leonard Williams is a BEAST. If Macc can find some pass rushers, Leo & Mo would be freed up a lot more on the inside to wreak havoc. Being in the 6th spot in this draft without any concensus #1 QBs, there are plenty of stud players available in the 1st 6 picks. I know fans are like "we need more picks", well we had 12 in 2014, how did that work out? What we need are STARS and we already have one playing on our Dline inside. What we truly need is our own stud pass rusher! 

My thinking is we're going to free up a lot of money unless we go veteran QB. I don't care who you have in the secondary, if your facing a decent QB, if you don't get pressure, they will find the open man. A team still picking in the top 6 & getting Sheldon Richardson is a pretty great coup. Just a thought, because I'm all for going after Jamie Collins. Pretty exciting group, Collins, Jenkins, Lee, Garrett or Williams with Leo, Mo, & Simon. 

If it would decrease the value of a package to move up, why not?

We have so many holes it's insane and a pass rusher right now isn't our biggest one. If Revis is cut we're out a #1 corner (not like he played like one this year but still). Our O-line is banged up and besides James Carpenter noone else has shown they deserve to be here. When Gilchrist is cut we won't have a safety who can cover #3 wrs lol. Also Richardson did everything he could to demolish his trade value pairing him with a 1st is more enticing but idk if the Browns would pull the trigger. We should trade this pick back to get more picks because this roster has more holes than a slice of swiss cheese

7 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'd trade our 1st and Sheldon to move up and draft Myles Garrett. 

I am all for getting rid of Richardson.  Trade up and wait for offers -- try to load up on picks from a team where Garrett really fits.

48 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Jamie Collins will be franchised by the Browns, as they are well over 100 million dollars on cap space, and have to start investing in someone. That trade with Cheaters made sense from a Brown perspective.

21 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Jamie Collins will be franchised by the Browns, as they are well over 100 million dollars on cap space, and have to start investing in someone. That trade with Cheaters made sense from a Brown perspective.

I'm sure. You just never know.

19 minutes ago, pointman said:

No more DL. Please. 

Are you freaking serious? We need guys that can rush from the edges. Garrett & Williams can do that. What would the Broncos D be without Miller, Ware & now Ray.

If Sheldon was a FA today, he would sign a contract (with clauses of course), that would bring in a 3-5th comp pick. He is also 'reasonable' next year. You should be able to trade him for something reasonable - you just might have to give back a conditional pick in case he is either suspended or they can't sign him long term. Either way, the team that gets him (unless he is suspended) will get the comp pick.

So, you would get a 3rd, but have to give back a 4th the following year if he gets suspended for more than 2 games. Or something like that. Actually, I think his stock went up a bit in the last few weeks once they started playing him in his natural position. He was unstoppable yesterday and that one arm tackle against the Pats was amazing.

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Are you freaking serious? We need guys that can rush from the edges. Garrett & Williams can do that. What would the Broncos D be without Miller, Ware & now Ray.

Yeah, when getting a DL means getting a Von Miller, we'll talk. The way we draft, we don't need another fatty up front. Lets use a #1 somewhere else. Our secondary is trash.

2 minutes ago, pointman said:

Yeah, when getting a DL means getting a Von Miller, we'll talk. The way we draft, we don't need another fatty up front. Lets use a #1 somewhere else. Our secondary is trash.

Garrett & Wiiliams aren't "fatties". They are bonafide pass rushers. We took Leo instead of Beasley, we might have a chance to have both if we somehow end up with either Garrett or Williams. 

2 minutes ago, BrickzNY said:

I am so tired of defense draft pick after defense draft pick. Our offense is the reason we lose so many games. Yet we still want more defense.

Bingo he gets it! - No point having an all world corner, when your O puts no points up to defend!

I don't believe Cle would give up the top pick unless it guaranteed them a proven franchise QB.  

They have already released that their draft grade on Garraett is astronomical.  Zero chance they pass up on him even if it means they have another season with Kessler at QB.

19 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Sheldon will be on this team next year. Not because they want him, but because they aren't going to want to give him away. 

He will be playing for a new contract too. There is a chance he plays like we know he could

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Richardson has devalued himself with his poor play and off field behavior.  He has no trade value.

Yeah right .. everybody know he is out of positiion .. he still a damn good D linemen .. you probably can't get a 1st for him but you will definetly get something 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

The way QB's like Brady get rid of the ball so quickly it negates even the best pass rush. I think the Jets MAJOR need is on the offensive line. This team has spent what seven straight first round picks on defense and they still stink. Misses like Coples, Milliner, Pryor, Kyle Wilson have left me thinking offense is the way to go. The offense has been a second thought for too long and with two young QB's the line must be a priority

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Yes, I would trade Sheldon to move up.

If some team offers me several million dollars because of my sparkling personality...I would also accept that.

It seems doubtful either will happen. 

I doubt it too, but you never know? Moving down to 6 in this draft & coming away with 2 players, is pretty damn sweet for a team with a great need for a Dlineman. I actually think Tim Williams will be there when we pick. Gonna be a lot of good players at 6 in this draft, especially if someone in front of us picks a QB, or hopefully 2 go (Watson & Trubisky?). 

If that happens I could definitely see a trade down scenario for the Jets. If two QBs go there will be a ton of good players @ 6. Garrett will probably be gone, Jonathon Allen. Sweet spot could be the Jets @ 6, that would be awesome.

22 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

The way QB's like Brady get rid of the ball so quickly it negates even the best pass rush. I think the Jets MAJOR need is on the offensive line. This team has spent what seven straight first round picks on defense and they still stink. Misses like Coples, Milliner, Pryor, Kyle Wilson have left me thinking offense is the way to go. The offense has been a second thought for too long and with two young QB's the line must be a priority

We don't play Tom Brady every week. He's a bad example for anything you do to try & improve your team. I don't want Macc reaching for Olineman @ 6 as there are going to be players there who are BPA at other positions. Trade back? Yes, and pick an Olineman later while having another pick. 

Another scenario is what I spoke of using Sheldon as trade up bait. Let's say we love a player that's dropped & into the top of the 2nd round, because we pick so high in the 2nd maybe we target a need who has dropped & use Sheldon to move up & grab him. I wouldn't mind doing that. Didn't we move up for Revis & Mangold?

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

He will be playing for a new contract too. There is a chance he plays like we know he could

Agreed. The kid has talent. He needs to be focused. And I think playing for a contract and a fresh start next season will do the trick. I just hope he doesn't do anything stupid in the off-season and face another suspension. 

imo they really need to resolve the qb situation.  petty/hack are probaby not going to be ready next season so the move is to go hard after cousins or a guy who has proven ability.  i think the age of the vet qb is dependent on the confidence the jets have in pettyhack.  that's probably the hardest thing to predict. then there's also the possibility of getting a qb in the draft and using him right off the bat.  maybe the new oc won't be so afraid to throw a rookie in. after that go hard after a corner and oline especially left tackle.  the thing about a pass rush is that qb's are getting used to throwing quickly.  the jets secondary hasn't done a very good job against the receivers so no matter how good the pass rush is, it still doesn't get there fast enough.

5 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

This is a good point, learn the lesson from Santonio and let someone else pay for that contract - if he plays great next year and signs a big contract the Jets would at least get a comp pick - challenge would be keeping the locker room under control for another year

Archived