QB USC Sam Darnold's play at Rose bowl

Lupz27

I watched 4 USC games this year and was on the Darnold train after about half way through game three.  Things can always go sideways for QB prospects in their draft year but this guy does really look like a franchise QB.  Very good arm, makes some really great throws, seems to have control of the offense, Very mobile in the pocket but looks to throw after evading the rush rather than just run.  We couldn't be so lucky s to have a shot at him.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The kid looked really good, but being the Jets fan that I am there are several issues none of which are on Darnold.

1.  This fan base and media will not allow the Jets FO to tank.   We will bitch and moan the whole time.

2.  I may be wrong on this, but Hackenburg had the same stuff said about him his freshman year in College.

3.  Does no one remember Peyton Manning?  The Jets "tanked" (not really, but the sucked so bad it looked like they were tanking) for Manning his Junior year and the Jets got burned when he returned for his senior year.

4.  This is the Jets we are talking about.  They will **** this up someway, somehow.

53 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I had no problem with them being aggressive. They actually turned too conservative, the second to last series. Needed to get the ball to Gesecki, somehow. That guy will be an all pro NFL Tight end

I agree with that series, but you liked that last pass? With about 34 seconds and on the wrong side of the 50, why throw deep and risk what happened? USC was dropping deep in coverage. I dont know, very frustrated by the loss.

I have been disappointed with the qbs coming out the last few years. This is the first guy since Luck I've been really excited about. Maybe it's going too far but he kinda reminds me of Rodgers maybe a little less mobile. 

He can make all the throws and rarely do you see a young qb so poised who goes through all his progressions. No happy feet.

Aside from having a bad record the other thing we have to root for to have a better chance at him is that as many teams as possible at the top pick qbs so there's little chance they take one next year.

Only way we get Darnold is if Mac trades for Romo and Romo gets injured in preseason and we're stuck with Petty/Hack at which means 0-16 and the #1 pick.

And ofcourse you know with our luck Darnold will announce this time next year he's staying for his senior year

Have you guys looked at our schedule next year? There's a very good chance we only win 1 or 2 games. We play several teams that should light us up, including the entire AFC West and NFC South. San Diego and Denver may not be great, but we won't score on Denver and we won't be able to stop Rivers. The rest of the schedule gives us our 6 division games and then the Jags at home and Browns on the road. Honestly though, depending on when we play those teams and who they each add during the offseason, I honestly wouldn't even say that those are sure things either...as I expect us to be AWFUL next year. 

Either way, I want Darnold as well. He came back and lit up the entire 4th quarter, his arm strength is up there with anyone in college football, his accuracy and ability to make his reads are both pretty good as well, and with another year under his belt, I expect his decision making and mechanics to improve as well (not that they're bad, but there's always room for improvement). 

9 hours ago, jwill182 said:

Have you guys looked at our schedule next year? There's a very good chance we only win 1 or 2 games. We play several teams that should light us up, including the entire AFC West and NFC South. San Diego and Denver may not be great, but we won't score on Denver and we won't be able to stop Rivers. The rest of the schedule gives us our 6 division games and then the Jags at home and Browns on the road. Honestly though, depending on when we play those teams and who they each add during the offseason, I honestly wouldn't even say that those are sure things either...as I expect us to be AWFUL next year. 

Either way, I want Darnold as well. He came back and lit up the entire 4th quarter, his arm strength is up there with anyone in college football, his accuracy and ability to make his reads are both pretty good as well, and with another year under his belt, I expect his decision making and mechanics to improve as well (not that they're bad, but there's always room for improvement). 

I would love to go 1-16 and get Darnold

Petty/Hack baby!

The thing to watch next year is how Darnold adjusts to the new players around him.  He is losing a lot of talent that have a lot of game experience.  Loses for USC offense: LT Chad Wheeler (3 year starter), LG Damien Mama (2 year starter), RT Zach Banner (3 year starter), WR Juju Smith-Schuster (#1 target, 2 years, #2 target 1 year [behind Agholor]), WR Dareus Rodgers (#2 target), RB Justin Davis (#2 RB), TE Taylor McNamara.  Though USC still has a lot of talent behind these players, there are going to be a lot of changes for Darnold.  Deontay Burnett returns (his favorite target in the Rose Bowl game), and Steven Mitchell returns from injury.  But that offensive line is going to change a little and Darnold is going to have to adjust a bit.  It will be an interesting year if he can build on this year's success with a new cast around him.

Archived