Optimism

DMan77

There is a lot of anger, hopelessness, apathy, gloominess, defeatism, cynicism, and just a general sense of unhappiness around here lately, in pretty much every thread.

And you know what, that's rightfully so. Things are bad. This season was a disaster. It's hard to find any bright spots and we should be angry and we should feel defeated.

But that doesn't mean we can't find a little something to be optimistic about.

With so many threads being ruled by pessimism, I thought maybe we could have just one thread where we can focus on the good and the parts and pieces of this organisation that we can put even a tiny molecule of hope in, and not argue about if it's right or wrong to feel that way.

Let's just try and have a place where we can simply point out the good and the things that give us hope and optimism and not fight over if it's right or wrong or crazy, even if the things we find hope in are tiny or dim.

We all know what has and what could go wrong, but lets talk about what could go right, even if the odds are against us. Let's just have a place for a little while where we can lay out what might go right, and what the team could do if all goes perfectly, and not berate each other over it.

I know it's easy to be cynical and sarcastic in here. I know it's easy to scoff and roll our eyes at any thought of feeling hopeful... But I hope we can at least give it a try in one thread.

__

I'll go first and simply say that I really liked what I saw from Leonard Williams in the last few games and the last few weeks. I think he's poised to be a real leader in that clubhouse and a really productive player on the field. I could see him taking control over the attitudes in the locker room and keeping that DL focused, prepared, and playing well together as a team. I'm hopeful for that. I have no idea if good leadership translates to wins, but I know I'll be happier to see a better locker-room and have LW as the spokesmen for it. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ASH1962 said:

The only good thing I can think of that happened during the 2016 season is that it ended.

There were no other positives that I can think of at all, unless I reach.

Reach away! This is all about finding the positives even in the darkest of corners. Just something to grasp to help wash away a tiny speck of the apocalypse that was this season. Just something to hold onto, even if it is a stretch. 

The bad apples have been identified (Brandon, Sheldon, Revis...etc) so over the next few months let's see who is shown the door...Brandon & Sheldon need to go..This doesn't appear to be Harris, who could just be a cap casualty. Now maybe for example Revis can have a come to jesus meeting w/Bowles and get back to the competitive Revis we used to see

The young WRs..Jets finally have depth at this position.

The young players brought in via Mccagnan's drafts and UDFA appear to be low maintenance, go to work type players.

Otherwise good luck w/this thread..Good idea but know where this will go

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

"There is a lot of anger, hopelessness, apathy, gloominess, defeatism, cynicism, and just a general sense of unhappiness around here lately, in pretty much every thread. "

New York Jets the last 40 years.

yep..but this regime & these players shouldn't have to pay for those 40 years. But of course they will and so will this thread.

Sorry ASH but even when the Jets went to the Conf Championships twice or won 10 last season, you couldn't find anything positive

I've got a couple

1. Macc, a genuine football scouting and personnel guy running things

2. Bowles better than the circus clown he replaced

3. Some young, promising players in Shell, Burris, Anderson and a future longtime all pro in Williams

4. Finally cleaning out and removing the dumpster fire known as Geno Smith

Just now, C Mart said:

yep..but this regime & these players shouldn't have to pay for those 40 years but of course they will and so will this thread.

There are positives for this team but it is frustrating knowing that in some cases the positives are being screwed around by some of the big negatives.

23 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Reach away! This is all about finding the positives even in the darkest of corners. Just something to grasp to help wash away a tiny speck of the apocalypse that was this season. Just something to hold onto, even if it is a stretch. 

Ok, here I go.............................reaching..................................................reaching higher..................................reaching further...............................reaching down into a corner......................looking.................

Sorry, I have not found anything to be positive about yet, but will keep looking LOL....

We have some promising young players and real depth at WR for a change.

Mac has shown that he can find some quality players in the late rounds and UFA.

Mac will have a reasonable amount of money to spend an some (hopefully less sexy) FA signing to fill the gaps and allows us to go BPA.

We aren't the Bears for the Jags

.. that's all I got.

26 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Ok, here I go.............................reaching..................................................reaching higher..................................reaching further...............................reaching down into a corner......................looking.................

Sorry, I have not found anything to be positive about yet, but will keep looking LOL....

Haha, keep looking! How about how Powell really turned it on? Or That Shell looks like at least a starting RT? Or maybe that with a healthy Decker, Marshal, Enunwa plus Marshal and maybe even Peake the Jets will have a nice WR corp?

Or how about feeling good about the way MM drew up some of these contracts and that he can cut bait with a lot of them this offseason? 

1 hour ago, DMan77 said:

There is a lot of anger, hopelessness, apathy, gloominess, defeatism, cynicism, and just a general sense of unhappiness around here lately, in pretty much every thread.

And you know what, that's rightfully so. Things are bad. This season was a disaster. It's hard to find any bright spots and we should be angry and we should feel defeated.

With so many threads being ruled by pessimism, I thought maybe we could have just one thread where we can focus on the good and the parts and pieces of this organisation that we can put even a tiny molecule of hope in, and not argue about if it's right or wrong to feel that way.

Let's just try and have a place where we can simply point out the good and the things that give us hope and optimism and not fight over if it's right or wrong or crazy, even if the things we find hope in are tiny or dim.

We all know what has and what could go wrong, but lets talk about what could go right, even if the odds are against us. Let's just have a place for a little while where we can lay out what might go right, and what the team could do if all goes perfectly, and not berate each other over it.

I know it's easy to be cynical and sarcastic in here. I know it's easy to scoff and roll our eyes at any thought of feeling hopeful... But I hope we can at least give it a try in one thread.

__

I'll go first and simply say that I really liked what I saw from Leonard Williams in the last few games and the last few weeks. I think he's poised to be a real leader in that clubhouse and a really productive player on the field. I could see him taking control over the attitudes in the locker room and keeping that DL focused, prepared, and playing well together as a team. I'm hopeful for that. I have no idea if good leadership translates to wins, but I know I'll be happier to see a better locker-room and have LW as the spokesmen for it. 

I'll provide one on the other side of the ball.  I think Enunwa is going to grow into that same leadership position on the offensive side of the ball.  Kid has a great head on his shoulders, well educated and thinks before he speaks and has made great progress over the last 2 years and look forward to his continued ascension in 2017!

1 hour ago, DMan77 said:

__

You're happy about one player ; how about the other 51 miscreants ? Not to mention the dimwits in the front office and coaching staff ?

1 minute ago, OH THE PAIN said:

You're happy about one player ; how about the other 51 miscreants ? Not to mention the dimwits in the front office and coaching staff ?

Like I said, this isn't about trying to balance the good with the bad. It's about trying to find SOMETHING to be optimistic about, no matter how small... It's an exercise in trying to find hope somewhere, then maybe seeing someone elses post and thinking "oh ya, maybe that too..."

It's not about being optimistic about everything, or a lot of things even... It's just finding something. 

One thing that makes me feel positive is the loyalty of the fan base. Yes, this team can frustrate, anger, disappoint.........

Yet, there is not a more passionate group of supporters. Sure, we all complain. We say we are going to give up on this team.

Guess what?  We continue to hang in there. Hoping that next year will be the year. One day, it will be.

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I am going to date a super model half my age this coming year!

Keep hope alive! I mean someone has to date them...

Speaking of super models, isn't Decker's wife one? Decker will be back! He's a big part of the passing offense. See, that could be good! 

Ok, I've come up with the positives going forward regarding the NY Jets

1- Father time always wins & although it looks like Brady could play until he's 50 we all know he won't. He'll be 40 on August 8th, 2017. Belichick won't hang around without Brady, why kill your legacy.

2- No one wants anything to do with the Bills. The owners are idiots & its just a matter of a few years where they'll be hitting the reset button .No QBs & a defense just good enough to go 7-9, 8-8 and be mired in mediocrity for years.

3- The Miami Dolphins will be getting better just when their players fall off a cliff. Suh, Wake, Kiko, Maxwell, Stills, Pouncy, Williams, Albert, Miso & you know Tannenbaum always swings for the fences & maxes out future salary cap. Plus Tannyhill is mediocre.

So, while all these other teams go through major changes heading into the next few years, Macc will be slowly building the Jets into a young hungry group ready to take over the AFC East by 2020. Sar I will be saying, "I told you so" when MetLife is sold out & tickets are hard to come by. PSL Gold.

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Ok, I've come up with the positives going forward regarding the NY Jets

1- Father time always wins & although it looks like Brady could play until he's 50 we all know he won't. He'll be 40 on August 8th, 2017. Belichick won't hang around without Brady, why kill your legacy.

2- No one wants anything to do with the Bills. The owners are idiots & its just a matter of a few years where they'll be hitting the reset button .No QBs & a defense just good enough to go 7-9, 8-8 and be mired in mediocrity for years.

3- The Miami Dolphins will be getting better just when their players fall off a cliff. Suh, Wake, Kiko, Maxwell, Stills, Pouncy, Williams, Albert, Miso & you know Tannenbaum always swings for the fences & maxes out future salary cap. Plus Tannyhill is mediocre.

So, while all these other teams go through major changes heading into the next few years, Macc will be slowly building the Jets into a young hungry group ready to take over the AFC East by 2020. Sar I will be saying, "I told you so" when MetLife is sold out & tickets are hard to come by. PSL Gold.

This is actually a reasonable possibility...  Big Ben is aging as well.  Would be helpful if we

1- Get and or develop a decent QB

2- Hit in a 2nd round pick or two

I am fearful that Woody and or his brother will interfere, not allow Mac his selections and we get SOJ's/

39 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I am fearful that Woody and or his brother will interfere, not allow Mac his selections and we get SOJ's/

I think although it's clear they're still pretty involved, there have been some good signs that ownership is backing off a little bit and letting the "football" people do more things... This was really evident when they brought in those football experts and such for the GM hiring process. That was a good sign that maybe Woody was turning a page and going to let his scouts and GMs make more of the calls, even if it's just one little decision at a time. 

I'm also optimistic about having maybe 50 million in cap space available when they get through with the roster... That money can be used to fill in a few holes... Just finding an average player for a few positions will automatically make the Jets better after the terrible performances they had from a few spots this year... So I'm looking forward to them adding a few solid, contributing players. 

I think Brandon Shell is a bright spot, and fills a huge hole in the O-line. I also think Justin Burris played well, and he and Darryl Roberts can be the #s 2 and 3 CBs next year, and we can draft Jabril Peppers. As you mentioned, Leo Williams is definitely a bright spot. 

I think we should swing a deal for Mike Glennon. He's a good young player who definitely has starter potential. I know people are saying good things about DeShaun Watson, but the guy reeks of INTs and would probably be Geno Smith version 2.0. 

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

"There is a lot of anger, hopelessness, apathy, gloominess, defeatism, cynicism, and just a general sense of unhappiness around here lately, in pretty much every thread. "

New York Jets the last 40 years.

To SOJFs like you.  Not me, not the people I tailgate with or go to games with.  We get something out of it.

You get more material when they fail and an odd sense of happiness.  You're that fan, just own it. 

Archived