Chan retires, 5 coaches fired.

southtown24th

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

After Carr's rookie season the Raiders did the same thing (change coordinators, coaches, system, etc). Patullo was being groomed to take over for Chan so the retirement doesn't automatically make it a lame duck situation. Then the season happened and the team decided they want to go in a whole new direction on offense and he gets axed too.  

I'm a big defender of QBs and a supporter of stability, but if our two kids can't handle a simple system change, that could be a big improvement and more geared towards pro style, then they were never going to be the answer. Hackenberg, the one the focus will be on, spent one year in Chad's system.  Petty only spent 2 in there.  Everyone is blowing this up to be bigger than it is, IMO.

You could have a point here. If your HC has been paying any attention to his young QBs then maybe he should hire a OC that can compliment the QB's on the roster. 

24 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Seriously, I thought I had reached a point where there was nothing else they could do this year to piss me off... but this takes the cake. 

I was wondering the same thing, if Gailey told Bowles a year in advance that he was indeed retiring in 2017, then where was the contingency plan? not good...if the Jets were a stock, it'd be a sell, sell, sell.

6 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Fascinating really

Jets end ties with OC and fire 5 coaching assistants

A number of posters here erupt in anger and condescension with rants whine and witless attempts at jokes and GIFs

The fascinating part

If the Jets did nothing

OR

Fired every single staff member

OR

Extended all their coaches with 5 year deals

MOST of the exact same gaggle of posters would....you guessed it...

erupt in anger and condescension with rants whines and witless attempts at jokes and GIFs

Why are you not upset at all the needless changes to the team?

37 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

No OC with a track record for success will come here just to get fired next year. Not surprised DeFlippo is the choice . We will hire a first time coordinator  looking for his promotion  

Yes, while I understand the retention of Bowles, I also felt they had both to fire Rodgers and "retire" Gailey.  But yeah that means with Bowles on the hot seat for 17, who will want to come here to be an OC for a year?  Either a first timer adding to his resume, but just perhaps also someone who might step in as the HC if Bowles is fired.

Also want to point out if Gailey really had said he was going to retire at the end of this season, why was he the right guy to be OC for two developing Qb's?  Did Woody know that?

Just now, Big Blocker said:

Yes, while I understand the retention of Bowles, I also felt they had both to fire Rodgers and "retire" Gailey.  But yeah that means with Bowles on the hot seat for 17, who will want to come here to be an OC for a year?  Either a first timer adding to his resume, but just perhaps also someone who might step in as the HC if Bowles is fired.

Also want to point out if Gailey really had said he was going to retire at the end of this season, why was he the right guy to be OC for two developing Qb's?  Did Woody know that?

Which is the main reason Mike McCoy would come here

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

For what it's worth

Carson Palmer views Browns OC John DeFilippo as head-coach material, 49ers are giving him interview for their job
Browns offensive coordinator John DeFilippo has suitors, and the quarterbacks who have been tutored by him aren't surprised.
DeFilippo is interviewing with the San Francisco 49ers for their head-coaching vacancy on Friday, and he has received permission to meet with the St. Louis Rams early next week about their offensive coordinator position, a source familiar with the situation confirmed.
DeFilippo, 37, became the offensive coordinator of the Browns last year after Kyle Shanahan resigned from the same post with two years left on a three-year contract.
This season was DeFilippo's first as an NFL coordinator, but Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer has viewed him as head-coaching material for a long time. Before DeFilippo joined the Browns, his second tour as quarterbacks coach of the Oakland Raiders spanned 2012-14. Palmer played for him 2012 before the Raiders traded the veteran to the Cardinals.
"You knew it right away. You could see it right away. You could see a potential head coach," Palmer said of DeFilippo during a conference call in October. "Just his whole philosophy and the way he saw the game, you could tell he is going to be a great coordinator. I have had a chance, just because we are playing against a bunch of AFC North teams, I have seen Cleveland on offense a number of times.
"He is doing a great job. He gets the ball out of the quarterback’s hand. He does lots of screens. They run the ball effectively. He takes his shots. Always been a big fan since we had the chance to work together, and I have enjoyed watching them play on offense because he is doing a great job."
Under DeFilippo's command, the Browns' rankings were not impressive. They finished 25th in total offense (331.9 yards per game) and 30th in scoring (17.4 points per game). They ranked 21st in passing (236.4) and 22nd in rushing (95.6).
But their 4,155 passing yards were the fourth-most in franchise history. They also compiled at least 4,000 passing yards and 1,500 rushing yards in a single season for the fourth time in team history, accomplishing the feat in 1980, 1981 and 1986.
Although the running game disappeared for the vast majority of DeFilippo's only season with the Browns, its strong finish reflects well on the Youngstown native. In the last quarter of the season, the team averaged 160.5 rushing yards per game.
"I love Flip," Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, who spent his rookie season with DeFilippo, said during a conference call in September. "He was huge in my development, working with me every day, spending extra hours with me here at the building. He’s a guy that I could keep going for 10 minutes about. I have too many good things to say about him. I’d take all of our time here. The nicest things that I could say about Flip I would because he means the world to me, and he knows that."

57 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Sorry, can I have a link to this please?  the lack of formatting here and the wall of text hurts the eyes lol

I was able to find the article and for context this article is 12 months old.  Still interesting but the information about the 49's and the Rams are obviously outdated at this point but they probably will be interested in him again!

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/carson-palmer-views-browns-oc-john-defilippo-as-hc-material-49ers-giving-him-interview-for-job-1.653039

26 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Fascinating really

A number of posters here erupt in anger and condescension with rants whine and witless attempts at jokes and GIFs

The fascinating part

If the Jets did nothing

OR

OR

erupt in anger and condescension with rants whines and witless attempts at jokes and GIFs

I blame it on XBox Live being down. :)

Just now, JETSfaninNE said:

I was able to find the article and for context this article is 12 months old.  Still interesting but the information about the 49's and the Rams are obviously outdated at this point but they probably will be interested in him again!

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/carson-palmer-views-browns-oc-john-defilippo-as-hc-material-49ers-giving-him-interview-for-job-1.653039

The context was more of what he has done in the NFL and players that he mentored, vouching for him. 

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The context was more of what he has done in the NFL and players that he mentored, vouching for him. 

No worries, but you should always provide a link to the source of the article.  Firstly out of respect, secondly so they can get the credit/click for their work!  The article is interesting and I appreciate you providing it, I just wanted more information like who the writer was and when it was written and not to read it in a big blocky wall of text! :)

I am surprised that Kacy Rodgers survived, thought he was a lock to go. Goes to show you can look in from the outside all we want but have little idea of what's in play.

John DeFilippo seems to be a hot property and while he sounds like the type of guy we should try and land (young, new ideas, works well with young QBs) I'd be surprised if we are able to beat out other teams to get him.

I like McCoy, Turner or O'Brien. I suspect O'Brien might get another college gig if released.

41 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I hope we get a QB coach who makes the QBs play good (like Patullo in 2015), not one who makes them play bad (like Patullo in 2016)

I would look elsewhere than the Qb coach for why the position sucked so bad this year.

For starters I think the late signing of Fitz did not help, and how much it hurt is an open question.  People at the time said Fitz knew the O and did not need the camp time to get ready, but then when Decker got hurt, the WR roster that had worked with Fitz before was basically B Marshall and a second year player Enunwa who while talented did not have a large body of work with Fitz from 15.  The rest were young guys who Fitz had very little or no chemistry with, and of course Forte also was new.   So there was harm in the late signing.

And what exactly did the Jets gain by the late signing of Fitz?  Nothing as far as I could tell. They basically ended up taking the deal Fitz wanted them to give him.

And then there was the Decker injury which made the lack of chemistry with the younger guys more of an issue.

All the understandable hate for Fitz doesn't describe why he could have the year he had in 15 and then the year he just completed.  The key variables were Macc's late offer of a contract and Decker's injury. I don't see Patullo as a major factor in all that.

3 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

I am surprised that Kacy Rodgers survived, thought he was a lock to go. Goes to show you can look in from the outside all we want but have little idea of what's in play.

John DeFilippo seems to be a hot property and while he sounds like the type of guy we should try and land (young, new ideas, works well with young QBs) I'd be surprised if we are able to beat out other teams to get him.

I like McCoy, Turner or O'Brien. I suspect O'Brien might get another college gig if released.

The problem with most of these candidates at the moment is the 6 vacant HC positions in the NFL.  All of these guys I expect to be interviewing for those first and then falling back on an OC job if they can't land another/first HC job.

If we take the HC positions out of the mix I don't see too much reason why they wouldn't want to come here compared to anywhere else in the NFL.  Most coaches probably look at a bad product as their chance to improve it making a bigger mark on their careers.  Its a challenge.

36 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

99.999pct of all coaches would fire assistants it meant saving their job. Bowles may be a bad coach, but this decision is far from cowardly. It's not like he is firing competent people. 

If he fires them because they did a sh*tty job then that's ok.  If he fired them cause Woody told him to, then it's cowardly

Mike Munchak quit when he was told to fire his staff.  That's Ballsy.  He never got another HC gig.  Bowles doesn't have those kind of huevos.

3 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

The problem with most of these candidates at the moment is the 6 vacant HC positions in the NFL.  All of these guys I expect to be interviewing for those first and then falling back on an OC job if they can't land another/first HC job.

If we take the HC positions out of the mix I don't see too much reason why they wouldn't want to come here compared to anywhere else in the NFL.  Most coaches probably look at a bad product as their chance to improve it making a bigger mark on their careers.  Its a challenge.

Yep agree, the main obstacle to landing the guy we want is if he gets a HC position first. 

The other thing is the opportunity John DeFilippo has as the Rams OC is to work with a #1 drafted QB in Goff. We can't offer him that but it might not matter, it might come down to what his trained eyed sees in what we have to what LA have.

I feel like Gailey knew he was on the chopping block and opted to retire rather than accept a firing that would probably be his last. This way he can take a year off and come back somewhere else. 

The only semi-head scratcher for me is the RB coach. Our problems at RB this year was not running Powell enough and trying to use Forte as a bulldozer. That's not as much an RB problem as an OC problem. I dunno, maybe he was cut for other reasons. The rest needed to go. Rogers too.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets could have had the best coaches who ever lived, with this roster, they'd still be 5-11 or thereabouts. 

Uh. No. This CS was a whole new kind of suck. Try reading some of the headlines from the locker room.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I cannot ******* believe Kacy Rodgers still has a job.

Un-*******-acceptable.

Rex's "protect my buddies" culture is here to stay.

It really is a major indictment of the DC/Kacy based on this performance of this Defense. If he stays than Bowles isn't just incompetent, he is blindly loyal to a fault as well. 

1 hour ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Fascinating really

The fascinating part

If the Jets did nothing

OR

OR

This team, in case you hadn't noticed, was an embarrassment. They ALL deserve to be fired. The fact that Kacy Rodgers is still employed ANYWHERE, let alone the NY JETS is a travesty.

Archived