Chan retires, 5 coaches fired.

southtown24th

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

The Jets are expected to target Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo and former Chargers coach Mike McCoy as OC options, according to Adam Caplan of ESPN.com and Albert Breer of The MMQB

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer 

One potential Jets OC target: ex-Chargers coach Mike McCoy, who will have plenty of options.

Nice. 

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Jets are interested in Eagles QBs coach John DeFilippo for their offensive coordinator vacancy.

A sprightly 38 by coaching standards, DeFilippo had a well-regarded year as Derek Carr's QBs coach in 2014 before overseeing a number of career years for the otherwise dispiriting 2015 Cleveland Browns. He would be an excellent hire for Gang Green, but the Eagles don't have to grant permission to interview.

Jan 3 - 1:48 PM

I'm not really sure how I would feel about this candidate either way, but no team worth anything blocks their assistants from interviewing for a promotion, especially one with a team that's in the other conference and your team isn't even in the playoffs.  If the Jets want to, I'm sure they'll easily get their interview.

35 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He was out of the game for 2 years, before he came to the Jets. Once you retire, I believe it is hard to ever truly get your heart back into it. Hope he enjoys his time

I find it hard to believe Bowles knew all year that Chan was retiring. And yet the day the season ended Bowles said he needed to talk to Chan. Did he try to talk him out of it? Or did he not now? Just seems strange.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Gailey, with all his experience, and respect he has around th league, would not say something that careless. Patullo is a good bet.

I was thinking Brandon Marshall was the other one. He fancies himself as a coach around here, right?:D Hack will be in 3-4 ProBowls with the Jets before Patullo gets another job coaching HS jv players.

Seems Todd is looking for a young guy to groom Hackenberg, not a bad idea. You need continuity on the offensive side off the ball. I just hope he likes to go under center on 3rd & short. This 5 wide BS in shotgun blows!

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I find it hard to believe Bowles knew all year that Chan was retiring. And yet the day the season ended Bowles said he needed to talk to Chan. Did he try to talk him out of it? Or did he not now? Just seems strange.

Very similar situation when D-Brick retired supposedly asked to take a pay cut and then all of a sudden retires. 

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this whole retirement story is BS to make it easier on everyone, however Bowles' comment doesn't convince me of anything either way.  Bowles was refusing to comment about any of the coaches, and it could easily enough be that he wasn't going to take it upon himself to make the announcement in his own press conference, regardless of what he knew.

35 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

didn't chan state just recently that he wanted to coach next year.  wonder what changed 

Five days ago he said it was in his blood and would coach until he was in his grave.

12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Retirement just seems convenient. My guess (pure speculation) is that he does not come back anywhere, that this year sapped all his energies, and said that was it. He and the Jets came to agreement. 

The only thing that would sway me, if the Jets were to announce their new coordinator in coming days. If they had all this lead time, then they certainly would have put their feelers out and been secure in follow-up. I doubt that is the case.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Five days ago he said it was in his blood and would coach until he was in his grave.

You are mis-portraying what he said. He said:

"I've always loved to coach, I’ve always loved to do that," he said Thursday. "I think it’s in my blood. I think it’ll be there until I go to the grave."

There is a difference.

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

He was originally Bowles first choice before Gailey when Bowles was originally hired.

That would be a good hire too.  The Andy Reid system is a damn good one for training young QBs and he did a damn good job with Wentz.  Watched plenty of Eagles games this year. If they are had any Recievers that could hold on to the ball, the offense would have been far more productive. I don't think I've seen more drops from wide open players than when I watched that team.

36 minutes ago, C Mart said:

The Jets are expected to target Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo and former Chargers coach Mike McCoy as OC options, according to Adam Caplan of ESPN.com and Albert Breer of The MMQB

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer 

One potential Jets OC target: ex-Chargers coach Mike McCoy, who will have plenty of options.

Would love either one.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Hey, neg rep me all you want for my vid on Gailey.  But I'm not the clueless dick who ran our offense.  Decided to forgo TEs, a competent QB, etc....   Face it, Gailey was, is, and will forever be a joke.  Have at it. LMFAO!

Gailey was way, way down the decision making hierarchy and likely had little to no roster input.   If you want to assign blame for the TE debacle look at Macc not Gailey.   who was he supposed to target, Kellen Davis?   the ball hit him in the helmut when they tried to throw it to him. 

Archived