What will Minnesota do with Sam Bradford?

deucebag

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Because Jets fans are simply "stats whoring". They look at 3,900 yards, 20 TD's and 5 ints and they suddenly call that an "excellent season". Well for Bradford thats indeed an excellent season. Pretty similar to Fitz excellent season last year.

This is my problem with Bradford, he doesnt fit our players. He doesnt stretch the field. Now im not saying to go out and get a "gun slinger". We just had that in Fitz and guess what? He couldnt stretch the field even in his "excellent" season. We need a guy who can do both efficiently, and THIS is why I like Mike Glennon (back to Glennon in a minute). 

Bradford dumps the ball off as if his life freaking depends on it. His passes are glorified rushing plays most of the time. The dude threw the ball 552 times and couldnt crack 4,000 yards or throw more than 20 TD's? More specifically. This guy has multiple games where he threw the ball 28 times in a game and couldnt accumulate more than 171 passing yards, mind you, 1 game he completed 63% and the other 71%. How the hell do you throw that amount of passes at that high of a completion rate and you cant break past 171 passing yards? Its because he doesnt throw the ball down the field. Thats the answer. That's not going to help guys like Devin Smith Charone Peake and Robby Anderson. This is what I mean when I say that he doesnt fit our players. 

Bradford had 11 games (he played a total of 15) where he threw 30 or more passes and couldnt break 300 yards passing. Of those 11 games, 7 of them he threw 35 or more passes, 4 of them 40 or more passes and 2 of them were over 40 passes. 

Smash, how does Sam Bradford throw over 40 pass attempts and cant break over 300 yards? How do you throw for over 30 pass attempts 13 total times and 11 of those games you cant crack 300 yards? The two games that he did throw over 300 yards he threw 40 times and 50 times. Remember, this is coming from a guy who's completing the ball 70% of the time. He's entire game is screens, slants and dump offs to the flat. 

How many times must people say that Sam Bradford's game is limited, while people simply google stats and completely forget that stats dont tell the ENTIRE story? More importantly, we got people actually considering the thought of giving up a 1st round pick for this level of limitation. C'mon. 

As for Glennon, I keep pushing a guy who HAS taken a snap this season, and when he did he went 10-11 with a TD and a converted 2pt conversion. 

So please, when you speak Glennon's name guys know that when he gets his opportunity, below is what he'll be saying with his actions on the field...

put-some-respek-on-my-name.png

Except it's not comparable to Fitz at all. Fitz had one of the luckiest years I've ever seen from a qb, he got away with so many passes that should have been picked off and played on a stacked offense. Bradford is playing behind a o-line that got him sacked 37 times, and this is with an offense that as you stated was based on check downs. Also, he average 7 yards per attempt. You know who also average 7 yards per attempt, Derek Carr, who was at 7.02 yards per attempt. But yeah, let's sign Glennon, a guy who has yet to ever break <60% completion rating, and also is apparently a check down king with his best season being at 7 yards per attempt, same as Bradford. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

There's no talking to you.

Did you ever think why QB's of today have insane Comp percentages compared to the guys in the 70's who all seemed to hover in 50 to 55 range ? Its the offense that are run . Shorter patterns more passes to the RB . What made Kurt Warner so great ? Was it Marshall Faulk catching those same 5 yard passes your complaining about opening things up for the entire offense or was it just that Kurt Warner was slinging the ball to deep and intermediate patterns all day long ? Bradford is a smart QB and if The Vikings play their cards right by bolstering their O Line and getting some more talent in their he will grow just fine in that offense I'm not sure why you cant see that.

Obviously there Is much more to what Brady does than just a short passing game a lot comes down to reading defenses properly but you simply don't see Brady Slinging the ball 20+ yards down field on a regular basis and that's why you see very little in the way of turnovers from him. Smart ball control offense is the way to go so when Brady does need to go for a 3rd and long you have to respect both parts of his game you also have to see how many times he has receivers running wide the **** open more often than not. If Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Peyton Manning played in the 70's with the way those offenses were designed they would be putting up the same 50 % completion stats you saw from the guys of that day. Its all about scheme and then having a QB to execute it. Just as much as a guy like Brady helps Bill Belichick, Bill Belichick helps Tom Brady. Also that goes into an elite QB is just as much about the coaching as it is the player.

How is it a team like the Pats can plug in any coordinator on either side of the ball yet still succeed ? How is it that even when their defense stinks (like it did up until a few years ago) they ALWAYS seem to make the big play ? Its Belichick cheating or not he gets it done and that's what this team lacks is an Elite coach not an elite QB because both are a dime a dozen. Im of the opinion that an elite coach can take a QB from college and turn him into something great just like Garrappolo or Cassel Brady was not there  when Cassel wentr 11-5 and he was not there when Jimmy was playing just as good as Brady to start the season.

If anyone thinks this Jets team would have been just fine with a guy like say Glennon at the helm this season then they are just grasping at straws this team will not get better until we get a HC capable of mentoring a QB with some talent. Harbaugh did it with Both Kaep and Smith. Andy Reid continues o do it with Smith. Parcells did it with Vinny the Raiders of the 80'sd did it with Plunket ... Sean Peyton took an ordinary Drew Brees and turned him into a star and one of the years Brees had his 5000 yards he had 190 completions to RB's (might have been their SB year./ So once again why is there no talking to me ? The answers are right in front of you.

On the other end of the coaching spectrum we have Todd Bowles and the NY Jets with Ryan Fitzpatrick singing the football all over the field like he's Brett Favre that's dumb football and that's not a winning combination. I think that very idea is what split the locker room and caused major problems but we didn't see Fitz get reigned in until it was too late and he played much better in later season games. He was horrific early in the season minus the Buffalo game. Dumb Coaching.

On 1/3/2017 at 10:32 PM, Jet Nut said:

Tyrod Taylor is not getting that kind of money.  

If sh*tz can get 12 mil you really think Taylor will not get his? Come on. He will get that much at least IF the Bills are stupid enough to release him.

4 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

If sh*tz can get 12 mil you really think Taylor will not get his? Come on. He will get that much at least IF the Bills are stupid enough to release him.

Fitz was a vet who was coming off a 10 win season and signed a 1 year deal with the same team.  He may get it but I don't see how he gets close to what established franchise QBs get

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Fitz was a vet who was coming off a 10 win season and signed a 1 year deal with the same team.  He may get it but I don't see how he gets close to what established franchise QBs get

He's literally on the books to get more than 15 million from Buffalo this season if they don't cut him loose. If he gets cut loose, he'll find a job that pays him in the neighborhood of that. 

On 1/4/2017 at 6:13 PM, Smashmouth said:

Did you ever think why QB's of today have insane Comp percentages compared to the guys in the 70's who all seemed to hover in 50 to 55 range ? Its the offense that are run . Shorter patterns more passes to the RB . What made Kurt Warner so great ? Was it Marshall Faulk catching those same 5 yard passes your complaining about opening things up for the entire offense or was it just that Kurt Warner was slinging the ball to deep and intermediate patterns all day long ? Bradford is a smart QB and if The Vikings play their cards right by bolstering their O Line and getting some more talent in their he will grow just fine in that offense I'm not sure why you cant see that.

IIRC, Walsh/Montana ("The Genius And The Gun") popularized that (maybe created it) back in the 1980's.  It was a big deal back then to "use the pass to set up the run".  Nowadays it's commonplace.  But I also think some of the higher completion percentages are based on the rules changes, no?  Playing defense is pretty much a penalty nowadays.

On 1/3/2017 at 6:46 PM, Smashmouth said:

Just to be clear I don't think Bradford is as bad as some are saying here but I also would not trade a first round pick for him and his contract would have to be a bit more reasonable.

That being said I would trade a 3rd rounder and offer him between 13-15 per for 3 years with a way out after 1 year so not much in the way of guaranteed money for an injury risk.

If Bridgewater does come back Bradford will either be traded or cut out right. I doubt anyone will pick up that contract and offer any more than a 3rd for him

Dude Fitz got 12 Mil.  Have you seen the cost of QBs lately?  

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He's literally on the books to get more than 15 million from Buffalo this season if they don't cut him loose. If he gets cut loose, he'll find a job that pays him in the neighborhood of that. 

Maybe

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

sh*tz was a career backup who even with that 10 win season never came close to being called an established franchise QB. Taylor will command annually at least as much as sh*tz made in that one year deal in a multi year deal with some team. Maybe its the Jets. Maybe not.

5 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

sh*tz was a career backup who even with that 10 win season never came close to being called an established franchise QB. Taylor will command annually at least as much as sh*tz made in that one year deal in a multi year deal with some team. Maybe its the Jets. Maybe not.

And Fitz was coming off of a 10 win season, no matter what you change it to.  Taylor has won nothing, not sure what he will get

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And Fitz was coming off of a 10 win season, no matter what you change it to.  Taylor has won nothing, not sure what he will get

sh*tz has a career record of 46-69. That's 46 wins and 69 loses. THAT IS NOT THE RECORD OF A FRANCHISE QB. Tyrod Taylor is 14-14 in his short career. While the book is out on Taylor being a franchise QB He is still more than comparable to sh*tzpatrick and will get a multi-year deal with the annual value comparable to sh*tzpatrick's salary of last season. How can you argue this point when sh*tzpatrick lost both games to Buffalo when the season was on the line? All He had to do was beat Buffalo and they were in the playoff's. That's what franchise QB's do. When the pressure was on your boy sh*tz folded like a cheap suit. Granted Taylor's sample size is too small to say if He is a franchise QB or not but that's not what we are arguing here. We are arguing whether or not Tyrod Taylor will get a multi-year offer with the same value as sh*tzptricks deal this year. Which you seem to think is the going rate for a franchise QB. Facts don't lie. Unless you are too blind to see them.

19 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

sh*tz has a career record of 46-69. That's 46 wins and 69 loses. THAT IS NOT THE RECORD OF A FRANCHISE QB. Tyrod Taylor is 14-14 in his short career. 

lolz

In all honesty I think Mac will try to sign either Taylor or Glennon.  He has to he needs to make the playoffs to save his career next year.  But I think unfortunately we wind up with Romo which really means we wind up with Hack/Petty and another in a long, long line of miserable seasons.

Archived