Tank

dcJet

I've never, ever, ever...  let me repeat, ever... thought of tanking before in my fandom.

Eleven year season ticket holder here, gave them up in 1994 when I moved to DC, and I always value wins over draft position. 

Anyway, since you need a QB more than ever to win these days and since there's no repercussion for the shamefulness of tanking, (see Dolts, Luck and Bucs, Winston) I've changed my mind.

We are PERFECTLY set up to tank next year in a year worth tanking.   We have the owner away with his brother in charge as the no-nothing scapegoat.  We have two raw QB's to get experience.  We have old guys we can keep for one more year of geeziness.  We can cut 2 of our best players under the guise of chemistry.  It's a perfect time.

I saw the shamefulness of the last week of the 2014 season as the Bucs staff, up 14 points in the 4th qtr, pulled their defensive starters to keep the number one position and land Winston.  If you haven't seen that travesty, please go to nfl.com and watch the archive - it's as obvious as a Revis cushion on Sammy Watkins.

Let's make it obvious too, and force the NFL to make a tanking rule like the NBA does.  Lets do it.  Why not us for a change.

They can sign players to good money deals. Just make sure the players aren't going to end up being huge mistakes before their 2nd season here is up. Guys who we'll still want on the team in 2019 or beyond. So that isn't tanking, per se, but I wouldn't sign any more 30+ veterans this year. 

In the absence of must-sign FAs there's other "good spending" he can do without wasting it again. First is to lock up Enunwa now that his first 3 seasons are over. Don't backload it too much, which will mean spending more now (and freeing up an equal amount later). He can also pay down Carpenter to keep that additional free space for 2018. A cheaper 4th year is also an incentive for an extension offer after the 2017 season, to get him past the 2018 season, if he looks like he'd still be worth it. Ordinarily I'd say pay down Mo some more as well, if the $ isn't needed this year, but I don't trust him after this season. 

I'll be annoyed if he's unable to re-sign Wesley Johnson for cheap, since it would have been an easy task to extend him 6 months ago. On balance he filled in quite well, and at worst is a reliable backup. Same thing with re-signing Winters. I wouldn't want to break the bank on him, since that would mean staying away from any guard prospect in rounds 2 and 3 should one materialize. He's not worth passing up on better, but he's night and day from where he was. There's no reason to have waited until he could shop himself around so we now have to be the highest bidder to bring him back. Figure that mistake cost at least $1-2m/yr extra if he's re-signed in March.

I've been posting about it all day. I've like Darnold all year, but his performance as a freshmen, against a solid PSU Defense (I am a huge PSU fan), was insanely impressive. His tools are ideal for an NFL QB

1- Big arm,

2- Accurate

3-Great in the pocket when give time

4- Great thrower on the run

5- Can run for a 1st down

6- Starts off hot in a huge game (no nerves/no  fear)

7- Finishes off strong to win the Bowl after team had a melt down around him (clutch/leader). 

How can we not tank for this kid?? We have nothing else to play for next year. I don't even understand how other Jets fans don't see this. It's our one chance at a Manning/Elway/Brady/Luck. And you want to pass it up on the hopes we can sign a few high priced vets to go 9-7 and battle for a wild card in week 17 only to lose to the Browns????

Not signing another vet QB ain't purposefully tanking, and answers a LOT of questions using Petty and Hack next year.

If they succeed, a bonus for us...if they fail, then you get to pick a QB high next year....even if you draft another project QB in the later rounds this year.

Never plan to tank...but sometimes, doing what's right for your franchise will lead to that in any case.

Unless you sign a long-term loser, short time 'successful' vet that kills your draft position.

Guys here's the real problem with that idea. The Giants being a very successful organization, forces the Jets to try really hard to match their success. That right there is one of the reasons the New York Jets will NEVER throw away a season in hopes of drafting some college QB phenom. Sorry but the Jets will go after a serviceable vet QB - Romo, Glennon, (maybe even Kaepernick) this off season and torment us all with another mediocre 6-7 win season. Then we get to see Darnold, Jackson and Rosen go elsewhere...the Jets don't tank folks, it'll never happen, it is habitual, it is continuous - rinse repeat.

trying to tank games is playing with fire.  yeah the dolts sucked for luck but was it really worth it?  they got a really good qb but the team is still lacking too much in other areas to be really successful. if the jets finish badly then so be it.  just no tanking.

We can easily get the first draft pick in 2018, we play the habitual winners of the "sh*t" season award next year i.e browns and jags.

I am fine with tanking if it means we are loading up on the offensive line along with young cb's in a hope to make a push for 2019 and 2020 seasons. Anything before that is folly.

8 hours ago, dcJet said:

I've never, ever, ever...  let me repeat, ever... thought of tanking before in my fandom.

Eleven year season ticket holder here, gave them up in 1994 when I moved to DC, and I always value wins over draft position. 

Anyway, since you need a QB more than ever to win these days and since there's no repercussion for the shamefulness of tanking, (see Dolts, Luck and Bucs, Winston) I've changed my mind.

We are PERFECTLY set up to tank next year in a year worth tanking.   We have the owner away with his brother in charge as the no-nothing scapegoat.  We have two raw QB's to get experience.  We have old guys we can keep for one more year of geeziness.  We can cut 2 of our best players under the guise of chemistry.  It's a perfect time.

I saw the shamefulness of the last week of the 2014 season as the Bucs staff, up 14 points in the 4th qtr, pulled their defensive starters to keep the number one position and land Winston.  If you haven't seen that travesty, please go to nfl.com and watch the archive - it's as obvious as a Revis cushion on Sammy Watkins.

Let's make it obvious too, and force the NFL to make a tanking rule like the NBA does.  Lets do it.  Why not us for a change.

I agree and think Ten did the same thing.  And since Fox is still the HC in Chi, I think they plan on losing a bunch next year as well.  

Min a year where there are so many teams in need of a QB, and a draft that has no answers, the league has really screwed itself.  

They put all the emphasis on one position and what happens is we have playoff games with Connor Cook, McGloin, and Matt Moore starting playoff off games.

In what should have been a dynamite game to end the season for the division crown, Ten losing Mariota cost them the playoffs.  So instead of having a classic, the NFL gave us Tom Savage versus whoever the hell Ten's back up it.  

Crappy product.  If they want to know why ratings are in the tank, it's because we are tired of watching Brady, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, and Eli every freaking year.  

Jets don't have to tank on purpose. Just clean house of all the vets & start Petty or Hack. Sign only younger filler free agents & take our lumps. Jesus people, even the Cowboys went 1-15 in Aikmans 1st year. Plus, the Browns will actually be a better team than the Jets next year. They have 100 million to spend & they have a boatload of picks. The Jaguars will be better just getting Bradley out of there. Jets will be competing with the 49ers & Bears for the top pick. If they were really smart they would offer up any veteran under contract for 2018 picks. Marshall, Decker, Sheldon. Let's pray that someone drops to 6 that a team covets badly & wants to move up. Take picks in 2018. Any knowledgable Jet fan realizes that as long as Brady & Belichick are in New England, no team below them has a chance in the AFC east. They have proven that since 2001. So f*ck Roger Goodell and his rules that allow the top QBs in this league carte Blanche to the playoffs every year, (exception is Brees because he's a greedy mofo & sucks up too high a % of the Saints cap so they can't field a defense). It's not tanking playing youngsters, in fact it's BRILLIANT. They get experience, you pick a stud QB, you start winning, the young guys get more famous, they get hungry to make the playoffs, they start wanting to win a Super Bowl. Lose, lose, lose in 2017. We just went 5-11 $50,000 below the salary cap. We lost 3 games in a row, by 126-16. Reup Enunwa too. Until we find a QB its not even worth it to watch the NFL. You have zero chance at success without a QB. The Raiders hadn't been to the playoffs in what 15 years? They draft Carr & it changed the entire franchise. I don't even want to watch the Jets anymore until we find a QB. It's just not entertaining at all.

Last year before the season everyone was talking about tanking for Watson. Now suddenly he's not worth it. Now it's Darnold. Hell, I remember back in the Geno/Sanchez day when some people were recommending we tank for 2 years and draft Hack. We are sitting in a good position to draft Watson. If he's there we should take him and plug him in day one.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Last year before the season everyone was talking about tanking for Watson. Now suddenly he's not worth it. Now it's Darnold. Hell, I remember back in the Geno/Sanchez day when some people were recommending we tank for 2 years and draft Hack. We are sitting in a good position to draft Watson. If he's there we should take him and plug him in day one.

Did you watch Darnold play? Some players have IT, Darnold has the IT factor. 

29 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Your the second person to say that and be wrong. I don't recall anyone saying they should tank for Watson. Some people projected him as the best QB, but no one was saying he was a lock and that teams should tank for him. In fact, during this entire season I never heard anything about the Browns or the NIners tanking for Watson. 

Every year, there is a guy that people project to be the 1st QB taken. That is different than the hype that surrounded Luck and now Darnold. You are just confused between the two concepts. 

Some of you guys create your own reality to make your points. 

Archived