If Bill O'brien Becomes Available....

Jack Straw

Do the Jets try to push Bowles out so they can pursue him? Reuniting O'brien with Maccagnan and Hackenberg seems like it'd be an easy sell to Woody Johnson and would at least get the fanbase excited, which is really all Woody cares about.

I don't know what the precedent is for firing a coach a week or two after the season ends, but if O'brien comes available, I have no problem with coming up with an excuse to get rid of him. The easiest scenario, in my opinion, would be to give Bowles an ultimatum. Essentially tell him that Kacy Rodgers has to be fired and that if he doesn't do the deed, then Bowles will be gone too. I don't think Bowles will fire his best friend and think he'll understand that the "writing is on the wall" and that his time is up. This allows Bowles to save some kind of face, but will undoubtedly make the Jets look bad to others across the league. My point is, who cares if it means getting the guy we want.

The question I have is, has this happened in the past and is this at all a possibility in the next week or two?

I'll repeat, just wtf has Bill Obrien done to deserve his accolades?  This guy might be the most overrated coaching prospect in the league right now.  Coaching in a terrible division with a dominant defense he has slithered into the playoffs a couple times and on his side the of the ball, the offense it has been almost as big of a train wreck as Bowles's defense.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'll repeat, just wtf has Bill Obrien done to deserve his accolades?  This guy might be the most overrated coaching prospect in the league right now.  Coaching in a terrible division with a dominant defense he has slithered into the playoffs a couple times and on his side the of the ball, the offense it has been almost as big of a train wreck as Bowles's defense.

With no QB's, he's won two division titles in three years. That's good enough for me.

Can't do it that way. If they want O'Brien to be OC, they do something along the lines of what the Giants did with McAdoo, that when the time is right, he's the guy. And if that time is years down the road, it will mean that the Jets are good, O'Brien has done a great job with the Offense, and that Hack is the guy. In that case, O'Brien will have head coaching jobs elsewhere. Not a bad deal for O'Brien if he's interested.

9 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

With no QB's, he's won two division titles in three years. That's good enough for me.

Yes let's move him to a division with the Patriots and the results will be much worse.

Obrien took over at PSU when they were a train wreck and kept it together. (no losing seasons despite limited scholarships and a few players bailing on the program)
Obrien has had no QB at Houston (although he gets some of the blame for bringing in Osweiller) and lost Watt, and still wins games. 

I rather take a coach that finds ways to win in the NFL then bring in another coordinator that needs to learn how to run a franchise and manage the clock etc... 

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

He is the one that chose the QBS, he is the one that is coaching the QBS.  He wanted Hoyer, he wanted Mallet, it is up in the air as to whether he totally endorsered oswieler or not.

In the end he is the offensive QB guru and that part of the team has stunk even with a legit WR threat in Hopkins and Lamar Miller this year.

If he is failing with that offense and QBs how is he going to magically develop our sorry crew of QBS?

I don't think the Jets should fire Bowles. But I have to admit, I think O'Brien is an ideal fit for the Jets. Especially with Maac and Hackenberg on the team/organization.

In a perfect world, I'd love to hire him as the Offensive Coordinator. But he might get others HC offers and might not be interested in joining the Jets if it's only to be an OC and not the HC.

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He is the one that chose the QBS, he is the one that is coaching the QBS.  He wanted Hoyer, he wanted Mallet, it is up in the air as to whether he totally endorsered oswieler or not.

In the end he is the offensive WB guru and that part of the team has stunk even with a legit WR threat in Hopkins and Lamar Miller this year.

If he is failing with that offense and QBs how is he going to magically develop our sorry crew of QBS?

Finding a QB is not easy. You make it seem as if he passed over a chance to get Luck or Brady. Bellichick has been drafting QBs for a decade and aside from Brady, none have turned into franchise QBs. Either way, Obrien isn't the GM so it's tough to blame him for not drafting the right QB to date. 

30 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Obrien took over at PSU when they were a train wreck and kept it together. (no losing seasons despite limited scholarships and a few players bailing on the program)
Obrien has had no QB at Houston (although he gets some of the blame for bringing in Osweiller) and lost Watt, and still wins games. 

I rather take a coach that finds ways to win in the NFL then bring in another coordinator that needs to learn how to run a franchise and manage the clock etc... 

THIS. Coaching is understanding how to develop players, motivate them etc. There are 2-3 standout players on any team. The rest are separated by a thin margin.  A good coach makes the difference.

Those in denial of Bellicek dont see it. They think its all Brady.  yes..Brady is fantastic but we have seen many, many moves that an average coach would not make that BB does all the time.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Finding a QB is not easy. You make it seem as if he passed over a chance to get Luck or Brady. Bellichick has been drafting QBs for a decade and aside from Brady, none have turned into franchise QBs. Either way, Obrien isn't the GM so it's tough to blame him for not drafting the right QB to date. 

A great offense mind is supposed to make an offense work and make his jag QBs better (See Chan Gailey)  We are going from a guy that managed to get some performance from jags to a guy who has got nothing from them.

Houston offense:

2014 17th

2015 19th

2016 29th

I just don't see the allure of this guy at all.  Also if as rumored he pumped up Hackenburg to our GM that is another strike.  Many better candidates if you ask me.  OBriens big offense QB developer rep is totally unfounded.

We drafted Hackenberg, Hackenberg specifically picked Penn State U just to learn under Bill O'Brien. If O'Brien is willing to be the QB coach (not sure about OC) I'd give it a consideration for sure. 

We have to figure out a way to salvage that 2nd round pick somehow. If it works great, if it doesnt SOJ's anyway right? 

50 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Winning the AFCS isnt exactly a note worthy accomplishment.  

The Texans are probably the worst team in the history of the playoffs. They have a -49 point differential. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

We drafted Hackenberg, Hackenberg specifically picked Penn State U just to learn under Bill O'Brien. If O'Brien is willing to be the QB coach (not sure about OC) I'd give it a consideration for sure. 

We have to figure out a way to salvage that 2nd round pick somehow. If it works great, if it doesnt SOJ's anyway right? 

?

You do realize that the guy is a playoff coach, don't you?  He has never had a losing record in the NFL.  You think he is going to take a QB coach job?  If the Texans fire him he will find a new job in 20 minutes.  That is coming from somebody that doesn't particularly like him

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

?

You do realize that the guy is a playoff coach, don't you?  He has never had a losing record in the NFL.  You think he is going to take a QB coach job?  If the Texans fire him he will find a new job in 20 minutes.  That is coming from somebody that doesn't particularly like him

Honestly, I dont know a plethora about Bill O'Brien. I learned more about him when we drafted Hackenberg. I wasnt trying to clown him, it was more about me not knowing his OC ability like that, but his history with Hackenberg...which is why I said QB coach. However, if you think he's more valuable than that you'd know better than I do. Either way, I'd take a shot. The worst that could happen is what always happens. However, it doesnt matter if I like the Hack pick or not, at the end of the day he's a Jet and should be our future. If Bill O'Brien can get the best out of him then im all for it. 

My bad if my "QB coach" statement came off crazy. 

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

?

Some dumb team will give him another HC gig for the same reasons Rex got another gig all the while ignoring his exact contribution to any success or failure of his previous team.

S

34 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

THIS. Coaching is understanding how to develop players, motivate them etc. There are 2-3 standout players on any team. The rest are separated by a thin margin.  A good coach makes the difference.

Those in denial of Bellicek dont see it. They think its all Brady.  yes..Brady is fantastic but we have seen many, many moves that an average coach would not make that BB does all the time.

I totally agree with this statement, it is coaching coaching coaching. Anyone in denial of Bellichick is blind and probably wants Bowltite to remain here. Look at it this way, besides Brady and a few others, the rest of that NE roster is comprised of a bunch of JAGS. It is all coaching and scheme, something the NY Jet CS has no clue about.

NFL HIstory is full of HCs who have been fired and then hired by another team and get better.  BB, Pete Carroll and Del Rio are the first that come to mind.

It is a tough job and no one is perfect.

Bowles had a decent year last year all things considered and a horrible 2016.  Yes, his talent was bad and there were injuiries, but no one thought the team was well-managed and coached even given all of that-the impression of the Browns' coaching was much better (not so much Niners or Rams).  So Bowles could turn it around in 2017.

O'Brien has won and is offensive by nature.  Hiring him as an OC is a no brainer.  Maybe its a good one year bridge for him with upside. Do you trade Bowles for him as HC?  Possibly, but not necessarily.

But he would need to get paid as an OC, and that process could show where the Jets are with that.

9 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

S

I totally agree with this statement, it is coaching coaching coaching. Anyone in denial of Bellichick is blind and probably wants Bowltite to remain here. Look at it this way, besides Brady and a few others, the rest of that NE roster is comprised of a bunch of JAGS. It is all coaching and scheme, something the NY Jet CS has no clue about.

Yep..from the pooch kick with Flutie to winning 11 games with Cassel, he has learned how to get his players to play at their best.

Every year, I see 2 or 3 moves he does that I SMH and say...THAT took balls and brains.  2 things I do not see in Bowles or REX.

Even on personnel, he brings in jags and makes average to above average players from them and or cuts the marginal player quickly where we hang on to them a bit too long.

Yet..wait for it, this sites SELF appointed football expert will bring up BB's record without Brady and say he's a nothing coach without TB.

Ill go on a limb and say BB would never have held on to Chad for 7 years.  Speculation I know...

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

he's slithered into the playoffs without a qb.  two seasons ago, both wilk and sheldon were being talked about in the same breath as jj watts so it's not like the jets don't have some players that can play defense (when they want to).  if obrien becomes available it would be foolish for the jets to not take a good hard look.  yeah it goes against building something with bowles but the nfl is a business and it's all about what you've done for me lately.

39 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

?

He may take the OC role though if he cannot land one of the open HC gigs - again assuming he's let go from Houston. Timing can be a factor as there's a good chance the Texans get by the Raiders with Cook starting at QB. So teams would not be able to hire him until the Texans are eliminated while other HC candidates not on playoff teams may fill the desirable jobs open.

25 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

He may take the OC role though if he cannot land one of the open HC gigs - again assuming he's let go from Houston. Timing can be a factor as there's a good chance the Texans get by the Raiders with Cook starting at QB. So teams would not be able to hire him until the Texans are eliminated while other HC candidates not on playoff teams may fill the desirable jobs open.

I don't think they will fire him.  If they fire him, he may take an OC position.  He will not have to take a QB coach position.  No way.  I think he will be careful what job he takes because he will be in line for a decent contract.  We will see how it all works out, but it makes more sense to be Rex getting $5.5M than Marrone ending up an offensive line coach and now interim head coach in Jacksonville. 

Bowles is the head coach. He's not going anywhere and he's certainly not going to bring a perfect interim hc as the oc that makes it easier for the Jets to ditch him mid year.

There's also little incentive for O'Brien to come here. It's rare if a coach who takes over on a bad team with no QB does well long term. 

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Bowles is the head coach. He's not going anywhere and he's certainly not going to bring a perfect interim hc as the oc that makes it easier for the Jets to ditch him mid year.

There's also little incentive for O'Brien to come here. It's rare if a coach who takes over on a bad team with no QB does well long term. 

. But that would be an incentive for O'Brien and McCoy to come here.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

. But that would be an incentive for O'Brien and McCoy to come here.

No, it's not. Dysfunction is never an incentive. No one who has a choice wants to take over a sh*t team. Do you really think those guys are like, "F8ckin' great, the Jets. Let me go there and wait for their sh*t coach to get fired so I can be HC?!! What a great career move! Given the horrible history of interim HCs having long term, this can't go wrong! As what may be my last shot at being a head coach, let me use on the hope that Bowles gets fired mid-season and then hope I get to be the interim HC and that the team is only terrible because of the head coach and then we win some games and then they choose me to be HC!!"

You should stick to blaming the fans. Your other ideas are worse. 

22 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He also apparently misled our GM into thinking that Hackenberg was worth a second rounder.

Archived