More diarrhea from the mouth of Brandon Marshall on the season....if you're interested.

JustInFudge

New York Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall (15) before the game against the Dallas Cowboys at AT&T Stadium. (Kevin Jairaj)
New York Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall (15) before the game against the Dallas Cowboys at AT&T Stadium. (Kevin Jairaj)

Brandon Marshall made his scheduled appearance on Showtime's "Inside the NFL" following the conclusion of the Jets' 2016 season on Tuesday night.

Among the topics Marshall addressed were when he first saw the season begin to slip away, experiencing the other side of the New York media, his relationship with Sheldon Richardson and what he learned from this season.

Marshall used a colorful analogy to express the Jets inability to change and adapt throughout a disappointing 5-11 year.

"The best way I can describe it is, having a diaper on and never changing it. And just sitting in that diaper the whole year. That's how our year was. It was a bad year."

After a 24-3 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 3, Marshall had his first inkling that it could be a difficult season.  

"When I first kind of had a feeling of shock was after the Kansas City game. You know, I think we all came into the season with high expectations. We understood the challenges that we were going to face with the tough schedule-the toughest schedule in all of football probably. We thought that we would have a top five defense. We thought that our offense will be better because it was our second year around. We had amazing chemistry the year before. [We] broke a lot of records and did some amazing things. So, I felt like that was the game we were like, 'Wow. Maybe we aren't as good as we thought we were.'"

Marshall feels that he has now seen both sides of the New York media after playing his second season with the Jets.

"One of the things I've learned about playing in New York and why it's so hard, and you talk about this beast of a media, it's winning or losing. When you are winning it's great. They make you into a Hall of Fame player. They give you nicknames that go viral globally. But when you lose it's the same thing. We [Jets] stopped talking about football after Week 3. There was no longer, 'Brandon, what do you think about this matchup? Brandon, what's going on with your team? What's your game plan?' It's all about, 'Is your coach going to make it?' Week 3 we were answering questions about if coach [Todd] Bowles was going to get fired. We were no longer talking about football. And that's the toughest thing for coaches and players in this environment. When you're losing the media is tough. But that comes with the business."

Richardson and Marshall had a rocky relationship that started during a Week 3 fight and lasted for theduration of the season before spilling over into the media at years end.

"I'm very disappointed. I have no ill will towards Sheldon. That's my teammate. I think he is a hell of a player. And since the first day I stepped foot on campus this guy has done nothing but to try to be the best person that he can be and the best football player he can be. The way I look at it, unless you've gone through it, I can't explain the type of environment it is in a losing building. It's so toxic. I can't explain it and I give people grace because I was on the other side. And I'm still on the other side sometimes when I make mistakes. And the way people deal with problems are different. And for Sheldon, there's so much tension. There's so much pressure on all of us. And people handle things differently. For me, it's more about how do we pick up the pieces and move forward."

While it was a disappointing season overall, Marshall believes there were experiences to learn from moving forward into next season.

"One of the things that I've learned, and every year football teaches you things, we talk about work ethic and how character building in adverse situations. We talk about all of these life lessons and life skills that we pick up along the way through our sport. And this year, for me, it was my delivery and timing. And my timing was bad at times. Meaning that, after a loss, that is not always the best time to address some tough issues. Sometimes you have to wait to Monday morning or Tuesday morning to have those types of conversations. So, I learned my lessons, some things blew up on my face. I'll take that. I'll chalk it up. And I will be a better person next year."

In 15 games, Marshall caught 59 passes for 788 yards and three touchdowns in 2016. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It humors and amazes me that after being run out of 3 locker rooms before arriving to the Jets, that Brandon Marshall is just now figuring out how to address a team when he's trying to be the leader he thinks he is.  All this after dropping crucial ball after crucial ball and basically making everyone the team hate him....yet again. 

This part humors me as well because its literally what we talked about with Todd Bowles all season long.  He refuses to adjust to anything or make any changes.  Doesnt change his scheme, wont change the personnel, refuses to try anything new and just yells at execution. 

Marshall used a colorful analogy to express the Jets inability to change and adapt throughout a disappointing 5-11 year.

"The best way I can describe it is, having a diaper on and never changing it. And just sitting in that diaper the whole year. That's how our year was. It was a bad year."

8 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

How is this "more diarrhea from the mouth of Brandon Marshall"? Sounds like he's being very fair in his assessment of the season. Took some blame as well for maybe speaking up at the wrong time.

I have no problem with anything he said in this article.

This is the 4th locker room that hates Brandon Marshall.  Everything his says is pure poopoo.  He needs to find his 5th locker room next season. 

Not seeing the problem here.  Seems like hes got a pretty good handle on what happened and was really disappointed in what happened to the team. Without any  excuses and no finger pointing.  

Wish others were this disappointed and down over the season

1 minute ago, JiF said:

This is the 4th locker room that hates Brandon Marshall.  Everything his says is pure poopoo.  He needs to find his 5th locker room next season. 

Who, other than Richardson, hardly the guy who's opinion I trust, hates Marshall? 

And you apparently 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

But the lockeroom doesn't hate him. Sheldon and him appear to have a problem. And Sheldon isn't exactly a model citizen. Who else has come out and criticized Marshall since he's been with the Jets? In all seriousness, maybe I'm missing something.

He seems to have a pretty good bond going with Fitz (goner), Decker, Mangold, and some of the younger receivers like Q. I don't see a problem with him.

He had an awful season statistically. I think the old Marshall would have blown up eventually and started demanding the football. He didn't do that.

I really don't think he's the problem.

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I have no problem with this. Seems pretty mature actually. 

Being the loud mouth a$$hole who screams at the entire team for losing, after dropping crucial ball after crucial ball having one of the worst catch ratio's in the league and doggin it the second your boo was benched is mature? 

The reason this season sucked was 70% because Ryan Fitzpatrick is atrocious, you know, the guy he clamored for all off season.  And then he's the guy screaming at the team demanding more?  

Please.  He gave up, just like everyone else. 

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not seeing the problem here.  Seems like hes got a pretty good handle on what happened and was really disappointed in what happened to the team. Without any  excuses and no finger pointing.  

Wish others were this disappointed and down over the season

You cant throw stones in a glass house.  That's the problem.

This isnt the first time we've seen this from Brandon.  There's a reason he's run out of every town and he's never made the playoffs. 

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who, other than Richardson, hardly the guy who's opinion I trust, hates Marshall? 

And you apparently 

You think Richardson is the only one? Come'on.  There is trend here with Brandon.  Richardson is just another loud mouth a-hole who loves to run to the media with his garbage. I mean, the guy stopped playing when Petty came in. 

Marshall is out right admitting that he turned people off with his  "leadership" style.  You think he admit this if it was only 1 person? 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Being the loud mouth a$$hole who screams at the entire team for losing, after dropping crucial ball after crucial ball having one of the worst catch ratio's in the league and doggin it the second your boo was benched is mature? 

The reason this season sucked was 70% because Ryan Fitzpatrick is atrocious, you know, the guy he clamored for all off season.  And then he's the guy screaming at the team demanding more?  

Decker wanted him back too. It's easy to look back at the season now and saying bringing back Fitz was a mistake but the guy threw 31 TD's for us last year and operated the best offense I've seen from the Jets in a long long time. It's not a shock that Decker and Marshall wanted him back. I'm sure many others wanted him back to. The offense was very good in 2015. It's not like Marshall convinced ownership to bring him back. The Jets were interested from the start, they just wanted him at their price.

4 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Decker wanted him back too. It's easy to look back at the season now and saying bringing back Fitz was a mistake but the guy threw 31 TD's for us last year and operated the best offense I've seen from the Jets in a long long time. It's not a shock that Decker and Marshall wanted him back. I'm sure many others wanted him back to. The offense was very good in 2015. It's not like Marshall convinced ownership to bring him back. The Jets were interested from the start, they just wanted him at their price.

I get it but I dont think its hard to deduce that Marshall probably didnt treat Fitz who was literally a disaster, making it impossible to win Football games, the same tongue lashing he did for everyone else.  I got a weird feeling that Mr. Richardson is probably very upset for the way Marshall maybe called out the D and not some much his boo.  And then I wouldnt be surprised if irked everyone else in the locker room when Marshall literally gave up on the season the second his boo was benched. 

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

You cant throw stones in a glass house.  That's the problem.

This isnt the first time we've seen this from Brandon.  There's a reason he's run out of every town and he's never made the playoffs. 

He's been a problem in the past, agree. But I don't see what he said that was wrong here.  He's not blaming anyone or making himself look good at the expense of others.  I'd have no problem ripping into him if was trying to be divisive.  I just don't see what he said as wrong or out of place

I heard this on Inside the NFL last night on Showtime, good watch if anyone's interested.  And tbh I appreciated Marshall's honesty but what's most concerning, and Phil Simms did bring this up.  The KC game was week 3 and it seems like from that point on things just got worse and worse, no resiliency that falls on the coach. 

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I can't imagine that Petty is too fond of him.  He did the kid no favors against the Dolphins

If we're going to assign blame due to poor play Petty shouldn't have a problem with anyone.  

35 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

How is this "more diarrhea from the mouth of Brandon Marshall"? Sounds like he's being very fair in his assessment of the season. Took some blame as well for maybe speaking up at the wrong time.

Yeah I agree, I liked the way he broke all that down. Seemed very fair. Didn't bash Sheldon at all.

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

You had me at "Ryan Fitzpatrick" lol

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

I get it but I dont think its hard to deduce that Marshall probably didnt treat Fitz who was literally a disaster, making it impossible to win Football games, the same tongue lashing he did for everyone else.  I got a weird feeling that Mr. Richardson is probably very upset for the way Marshall maybe called out the D and not some much his boo.  And then I wouldnt be surprised if irked everyone else in the locker room when Marshall literally gave up on the season the second his boo was benched. 

That's a good point. He does have a blind spot with Fitz.

36 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This.

I have zero problem with anything Marshall said here. It's accurate and honest. Good for him. He doesn't come off as angry or persecuted, just frustrated and resigned. Which is certainly understandable. Decker and Mangold were bigger proponents for Fitz than Marshall was, although Brandon was certainly up there. They believed their own hype much like a too large a portion of the fanbase and the media. There was a lot of pressure on the Jets to resign Fitz, laying that on Marshall is wildly unfair. 

And if anyone quit, that's on the coach more than the players - by far. And I love me some Sheldon, too, but these are two fiery guys who got in each other's faces in a losing season. It should've been better kept behind closed doors, but it's not unusual. Sheldon's future seems uncertain, but I'd be very happy to have Marshall back. Marshall makes every other receiver on the team better by demanding attention. Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, and Anderson is a pretty nice WR lineup for a team with any competence whatsoever at the QB position. 

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He's been a problem in the past, agree. But I don't see what he said that was wrong here.  He's not blaming anyone or making himself look good at the expense of others.  I'd have no problem ripping into him if was trying to be divisive.  I just don't see what he said as wrong or out of place

Sure...but he's the only one on the team that has a show and is on air for the world to see and able make himself look a certain way.  I guess I should preface, its not what he's saying in the article; It's how he saying it, how he gets to present it and look like the good guy so that people can eat it all up (like many are doing in this thread). 

When the facts are, what he did was indeed divisive.  It impacted the locker room.  So much so that Sheldon went to the media with it and now Brandon is playing damage control.

17 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah I agree, I liked the way he broke all that down. Seemed very fair. Didn't bash Sheldon at all.

Would you expect him to?  

I think its pretty clear he's trying to play damage control here.   

16 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I'll take a loud mouth who tries to motivate the team in the wrong ways and didn't play particularly well after a couple injuries over a guy who earns suspensions and seemed to make the defense worse when he was on the field. 

You like a loud mouth who has the worst catch ratio in the league and has been run out 3 cities and just divided another locker room? 

Archived