More diarrhea from the mouth of Brandon Marshall on the season....if you're interested.

JustInFudge

11 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

That's a good point. He does have a blind spot with Fitz.

This is damage control dude.  He said this started week 3.  Week 3!!!!  What kind of leader lets this linger when the team is 1-2?   And now that Sheldon called him out and the season is over, Brandon is playing Mr. Nice guy.

I'm shocked this isnt more obvious.  Again, the history with this guy matters.   There is a reason he only cost the Jets a 5th round pick and every team he's ever played for couldnt wait to get rid of him. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, slats said:

I have zero problem with anything Marshall said here. It's accurate and honest. Good for him. He doesn't come off as angry or persecuted, just frustrated and resigned. Which is certainly understandable. Decker and Mangold were bigger proponents for Fitz than Marshall was, although Brandon was certainly up there. They believed their own hype much like a too large a portion of the fanbase and the media. There was a lot of pressure on the Jets to resign Fitz, laying that on Marshall is wildly unfair. 

And if anyone quit, that's on the coach more than the players - by far. And I love me some Sheldon, too, but these are two fiery guys who got in each other's faces in a losing season. It should've been better kept behind closed doors, but it's not unusual. Sheldon's future seems uncertain, but I'd be very happy to have Marshall back. Marshall makes every other receiver on the team better by demanding attention. Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, and Anderson is a pretty nice WR lineup for a team with any competence whatsoever at the QB position. 

Wait, what?

Cant believe you're letting this dude pull the wool over your eyes. 

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

The reason this season sucked was 70% because Ryan Fitzpatrick is atrocious, you know, the guy he clamored for all off season.  And then he's the guy screaming at the team demanding more?

The 2016 New York Jets Defense, the unit that was supposed to be elite and carry us, was:

-Ranked 23rd in Opponent Plays from Scrim.
-Ranked 19th in Yards Allowed Per Play
-Ranked 28th in Turnovers
-Ranked 19th in Opposing Completion %
-Ranked 25th in Opponent Passing TD's
-Ranked 28th in Opposing Passing TD %
-Ranked 31st in Interceptions
-Ranked 22nd in Opposing Yards-Per-Pass-Attempt
-Ranked 29th in Sacks
-Ranked 30th in Opposing QB Rating
-Faced the 10th fewest rushing attempts against us, and ranked 11th vs. the Rush in Yards Allowed

Our defense was expected to be a Top 10, even a Top 5, quality Defense.  

It was a bottom 5 Defense, and near dead last in those vital turnovers.

Yes, Fitzpatrick, and special teams, WR drops (we led the league in dropped passes), and of course injuries, all played their part in our failure this year.  

Especially Fitz, who sucked, especially in INT's (especially in KC where 6 of his 17 total INT's happened).  Outside the K.C. game, Fitz was about average for Fitz, performance wise.

But the Defense?

To ignore the material contribution our Defense made to this teams failure is a mistake.

The Defense accounted for at LEAST 50% of why we sucked this year, if nor more. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Wait, what?

Cant believe you're letting this dude pull the wool over your eyes. 

No wool. Mangold and Decker were doing photo ops with Fitz at the hockey game while Marshall stayed at home. I think you're making much more out of some relatively benign quotes than is actually there. We agree most of the time about this team. Particularly Fitzsuckdick. But on this issue, we don't. I recognize the drops, and the fact that he's aging in general, but he still makes the whole WR group better. If he's on the team, he's still the #1 WR until Robbie Anderson says otherwise. He's far from perfect, but he brings emotion and talent and desperately wants to win. I want him back. 

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The 2016 New York Jets Defense, the unit that was supposed to be elite and carry us, was:

-Ranked 23rd in Opponent Plays from Scrim.
-Ranked 19th in Yards Allowed Per Play
-Ranked 28th in Turnovers
-Ranked 19th in Opposing Completion %
-Ranked 25th in Opponent Passing TD's
-Ranked 28th in Opposing Passing TD %
-Ranked 31st in Interceptions
-Ranked 22nd in Opposing Yards-Per-Pass-Attempt
-Ranked 29th in Sacks
-Ranked 30th in Opposing QB Rating
-Faced the 10th fewest rushing attempts against us, and ranked 11th vs. the Rush in Yards Allowed

Our defense was expected to be a Top 10, even a Top 5, quality Defense.  

It was a bottom 5 Defense, and near dead last in those vital turnovers.

Yes, Fitzpatrick, and special teams, WR drops (we led the league in dropped passes), and of course injuries, all played their part in our failure this year.  

Especially Fitz, who sucked, especially in INT's (especially in KC where 6 of his 17 total INT's happened).  Outside the K.C. game, Fitz was about average for Fitz, performance wise.

But the Defense?

To ignore the material contribution our Defense made to this teams failure is a mistake.

The Defense accounted for at LEAST 50% of why we sucked this year, if nor more. 

Nobody is ignoring the defense.  They were atrocious.  But no matter how good your D is, it's literally impossible to win when you turn the ball over twice as much as you score. That's why its 70% on Fitz, IMO.  Probably a stupid comment either way because you cant quantify it...but I dont care how great the D was, you cant over come that type of an offense. 

And again, if I'm a betting man...that's where this all starts.  Brandon even said it himself, this was supposed to be a top 5 D.  Why is it that the D seems to be the side of the ball that has a problem with Brandon and you dont see anyone offense taking issue with it? 

Remember, this started week 3....when the offense turned the ball over 8 times and the D kept that game damn close despite the worst offensive performance I've ever seen. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

It humors and amazes me that after being run out of 3 locker rooms before arriving to the Jets, that Brandon Marshall is just now figuring out how to address a team when he's trying to be the leader he thinks he is.  All this after dropping crucial ball after crucial ball and basically making everyone the team hate him....yet again. 

Your using his past reputation against him though. Early in his carreer he had some medical issues ( possibly bi-polar) that he was able to get under control.

Is challenging his teammates to be better since he has a desire to win a detriment to the team or does it speak to the mindset of the lockeroom in whole - players who don't want to be held accountable for their play.  I would take 10 Marshalls over a Richardson or Revis , guys who have immense talent but seem like they could care less about the team .

2 minutes ago, slats said:

No wool. Mangold and Decker were doing photo ops with Fitz at the hockey game while Marshall stayed at home. I think you're making much more out of some relatively benign quotes than is actually there. We agree most of the time about this team. Particularly Fitzsuckdick. But on this issue, we don't. I recognize the drops, and the fact that he's aging in general, but he still makes the whole WR group better. If he's on the team, he's still the #1 WR until Robbie Anderson says otherwise. He's far from perfect, but he brings emotion and talent and desperately wants to win. I want him back. 

1 picture at a hockey game?  Come'on.  

You dont remember the tweets and intantgram stuff?  The multiple appearances on air pining for Fitz?  Him literally coming out saying he doesnt want this particular QB because Fitz is his guy?  Him saying they talk every day but now he's worried because he's not returning his texts?  The bet with Antonio Brown?  

Please.  Marshall was his biggest cheerleader by far. 

The problem with Marshall is his emotion isnt healthy.  Especially not for a team trying to build.  That's why were having this conversation.  That's why he's run out of every town he enters.  Couple that with having the worst catch ratio in the league and he's not doing this team a whole lot of good.  He quit on Bryce Petty.  Quit.  

I dont want players who throw hissy fits and yell at the scoreboard while they're one of the worst in the league at doing their job and ultimately quit when they're not happy with how things are going.  That's the exact type of player you dont want around during a rebuild. 

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Your using his past reputation against him though. Early in his carreer he had some medical issues ( possibly bi-polar) that he was able to get under control.

Is challenging his teammates to be better since he has a desire to win a detriment to the team or does it speak to the mindset of the lockeroom in whole - players who don't want to be held accountable for their play.  I would take 10 Marshalls over a Richardson or Revis , guys who have immense talent but seem like they could care less about the team .

The Bears ran him out of town after he got everything under control.  He had to be restrained in the locker room from going after one of his teammates after a loss.  

Marshall is throwing stones in a glass house.  He cant catch the ball and quit on his team but he's the guy who gets to call everyone out? 

The Miami Dolphins have their reasons for sidelining cornerback Vontae Davis for Sunday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs, and they're saying publicly that it isn't because his hamstring is too injured for him to play.

Beyond that, however, they're keeping the full explanation private.

The strange situation has created some confusion within the Dolphins' locker room, while also resulting in a separate revelation (learned by NFL.com) about a confrontation between Davis and wide receiver Brandon Marshall that occurred this week.

Davis had to be restrained after Marshall started "talking (trash) and crossed the line," a source with knowledge of the altercation said. The source wouldn't provide specific details of what set off Davis.

"Vontae was about to rip his head off," the source said.

The altercation never became physical, and neither player threw any punches.

Davis told a few people close to him that he believed he wasn't making the trip to Kansas City as a result of the altercation, but a separate team source adamantly denied the claim, adding that the cornerback "knows exactly" why he didn't make the trip.

Sources close to Marshall, who traveled with the team Saturday, hadn't even heard about the altercation.

PB_BallotArticlePromo_225x130.jpg

The team didn't elaborate on the reason for leaving Davis in Miami, only to call it "non-injury" related. Davis has been rehabilitating his hamstring after missing last week's game, but the hamstring isn't responding or healing as expected.

Davis did practice in a limited role this week, and he wants to keep playing this season, despite a few people close to him advising against getting on the field too soon.

Davis has been seeing an independent trainer to help him recover from the hamstring injury, but the team's training staff told him two weeks ago he could no longer use that trainer. Davis hasn't returned to the trainer since then.

Brandon Marshall, September 2016: “I learned a lesson from Chicago Bears locker room tirade”; December 2016: Throws tirade in New York Jets locker room

Brandon Marshall is allegedly getting another locker room stirred into a frenzy.

I don't know what the agenda is but BM wasn't great this year no doubt, but nothing and I meaning nothing he said here warrants disdain or criticism.   

By BM statements here he was mature and he wants to win, so what's the problem here?

Answer = There is none.  

Jets fans make up stuff to complain about. 

Jets fans typical insane circular argument.  

BM says something appropriate and sane and "he is in damage control" and if BM said something truly stupid you would call him a jerk.  

No winning with a fan base that exercises that type of twisted logic

i get it some folks will hold BM medical condition against him and how he was harmful to the Fins and so on, but this thread is embarrassing.  

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Brandon Marshall, September 2016: “I learned a lesson from Chicago Bears locker room tirade”; December 2016: Throws tirade in New York Jets locker room

Brandon Marshall is allegedly getting another locker room stirred into a frenzy.

I'll take a guy who's passionate about winning/losing over a guy just trying to cash a check anyday of the week. The fact that Marshall's words cut into the lazy defensive stars  - speaks volumes about where their mindsets are.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I don't know what the agenda is but BM wasn't great this year no doubt, but nothing and I meaning nothing he said here warrants disdain or criticism.   

By BM statements here he was mature and he wants to win, so what's the problem here?

Answer = There is none.  

Jets fans make up stuff to complain about. 

Jets fans typical insane circular argument.  

BM says something appropriate and sane and "he is in damage control" and if BM said something truly stupid you would call him a jerk.  

No winning with a fan base that exercises that type of twisted logic  

Huh?  I posted an article summarizing Brandon Marshall's comments on how the locker room became a mess mostly because of his actions.  He's taking ownership of it.  What on earth am I making up?

Honestly, I'm absolutely shocked that you're all being fooled by this guy.  This is the 3rd locker room he's destroyed but now he gets it because he's saying the right things to the media (which he's a part of) and it's all good and he's the good guy.  WTF?

You need leaders when things are going bad and Marshall is not one. He probably talks in the locker room like he is, but then goes out and drops a 3rd and nine pass that would have been a first down and smiles. Hate that guy, and the Jets can't get rid of him fast enough. Richardson too, after the 2017 season, because I think he will play like a house on fire in a contract year. Wouldn't go any further than that with him though.

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'll take a guy who's passionate about winning/losing over a guy just trying to cash a check anyday of the week. The fact that Marshall's words cut into the lazy defensive stars  - speaks volumes about where their mindsets are.

Brandon Marshall quit on his team.  How is he any different than these lazy defenders he's calling out?  

You dont think the D sees that Brandon Marshall quit and is terrible at his job? 

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

You need leaders when things are going bad and Marshall is not one. He probably talks in the locker room like he is, but then goes out and drops a 3rd and nine pass that would have been a first down and smiles. Hate that guy, and the Jets can't get rid of him fast enough. Richardson too, after the 2017 season, because I think he will play like a house on fire in a contract year. Wouldn't go any further than that with him though.

Marshall, Revis, Sheldon - get rid of the cancers. 

This team is going to suck something awful next year.  Marshall is the last person you want around that.  Can you imagine trying to break in new QB's with him out there?  He quit on Bryce Petty.  He quit on this team but its cool because he says nice things on his show. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Brandon Marshall quit on his team.  How is he any different than these lazy defenders he's calling out?  

You dont think the D sees that Brandon Marshall quit and is terrible at his job? 

59 catches 788 yards while far from his career best isn't what I classify as quitting.  He had numerous injuries, and had a subpar year with some easy drops but I woudn't say he quit. Now comparing that to a number of defensive players - I can get where Marshall is coming from.  But Maybe Brandon should call out the Jets and demand they treat him with class.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

It humors and amazes me that after being run out of 3 locker rooms before arriving to the Jets, that Brandon Marshall is just now figuring out how to address a team when he's trying to be the leader he thinks he is.  All this after dropping crucial ball after crucial ball and basically making everyone the team hate him....yet again. 

Dude. You DO NOT know what's happening in the locker room between players. And don't pretend for a second like you do. You don't know the exact reason Chicago traded him and you don't know why it didn't work out in Miami. Neither do I. And Marshall probably doesn't know for sure either. What I can tell you is that he has been a heck of a prodctiove player, year in and year out. Apart from a couple of down years, he regularly has 100 catch, 1,000 yard seasons.

You obviously have  a thing against Marshall. That's fine. And this is why you will see so many disagree with you. 

I have no problem with any of the things he said. Most of them ring true. I have no problem with players, in general, yelling at each other on the sidelines. It happens. Often. If anything, it shows they care. I have no problem with WRs backing up their vet QB when he is struggling, who they have chemistry with. I have no problem Marshall talking about the team while on TV.

I hope the Jets hold on to Marshall. He had an off year but is still one of, if not THE best WR they have. They will need him if Petty or Hack end up winning the tarting gig next year.   

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

59 catches 788 yards while far from his career best isn't what I classify as quitting.  He had numerous injuries, and had a subpar year with some easy drops but I woudn't say he quit. Now comparing that to a number of defensive players - I can get where Marshall is coming from.  But Maybe Brandon should call out the Jets and demand they treat him with class.

Did you watch any of those final games with Petty?  It didnt take much to see he was giving minimal effort at best. 

And here's how effective Brandon Marshall was this year.  It's pathetic, fyi. 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Dude. You DO NOT know what's happening in the locker room between players. And don't pretend for a second like you do. You don't know the exact reason Chicago traded him and you don't know why it didn't work out in Miami. Neither do I. And Marshall probably doesn't know for sure either. What I can tell you is that he has been a heck of a prodctiove player, year in and year out. Apart from a couple of down years, he regularly has 100 catch, 1,000 yard seasons.

You obviously have  a thing against Marshall. That's fine. And this is why you will see so many disagree with you. 

I have no problem with any of the things he said. Most of them ring true. I have no problem with players, in general, yelling at each other on the sidelines. It happens. Often. If anything, it shows they care. I have no problem with WRs backing up their vet QB when he is struggling, who they have chemistry with. I have no problem Marshall talking about the team while on TV.

I hope the Jets hold on to Marshall. He had an off year but is still one of, if not THE best WR they have. They will need him if Petty or Hack end up winning the tarting gig next year.   

I just posted his stats.  It's pathetic.  Nobody needs that type of production.  Especially breaking in a new QB.  

And you're right, I dont know what happened in the locker room.  I'm just going off what Brandon Marshall himself has told us what happened.  That his leadership style, divided the locker room.  And even though he learned from his times in Chicago and Miami, he did again in New York.

55 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nobody is ignoring the defense.  They were atrocious.  But no matter how good your D is, it's literally impossible to win when you turn the ball over twice as much as you score. That's why its 70% on Fitz, IMO.  Probably a stupid comment either way because you cant quantify it...but I dont care how great the D was, you cant over come that type of an offense. 

You're quite right, we cannot fully quantify it.  And it's (for us fans) pointless now.

But think about this:  Other than the K.C. game, the Fitz we saw in 2016 was almost exactly the same Fitz we saw in 2015.  And the same Fitz, performance wise, we saw in his entire career.  K.C. and the 6 INT's was the outlier than changes the numbers, but that was one start and one game/loss.   The rest of the year, Fitz was Fitz.

The difference between 2015 and 2016 was we had a top 10 defense in 2015, and our WR's stayed healthy and didn't drop so many passes.  

In 2016 we led the league in droped passes, lost our #2 WR barely at the seasons start, special teams cost us 2-3 games with difference-maker misses/fumbles/allowed returns, and most vital we dropped from Top 5 Defense to a Bottom 5 Defense. 

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Does anyone have any specifics on what the meltdown in KC was? I have a hard time believing it sank the season...considering a guy got punched in the face last year and they managed to win 10 games.

Chances are we'll never know. That's what happens when this garbage come out. Whatever he said, it caused a divide. Richardson probably voiced what others were thinking in the room. It takes both immaturity and courage to do so. If others (like the coaching staff) was so pissed off at Richardson, then why was he chosen as a team captain?

1 minute ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Chances are we'll never know. That's what happens when this garbage come out. Whatever he said, it caused a divide. Richardson probably voiced what others were thinking in the room. It takes both immaturity and courage to do so. If others (like the coaching staff) was so pissed off at Richardson, then why was he chosen as a team captain?

I think it's a stretch that this "divide" specifically caused more losses. I think it more had to do with the talent sucking.

I have no problem if the Jets opt that its time to move on from Marshall for a variety of different reasons.  With that said, JiF you're not going to start convincing anyone when you already have a very clearly predetermined opinion on the matter, and are trying scrounge up as much as possible to fit your existing thoughts.  You certainly don't have to like Marshall and that's fine, but what you started this thread with does nothing to prove your points.  Using Richardson as some sort of evidence is outright laughable, considering he's been a problem for this team basically ever since his rookie year ended, and has been widely considered the very first guy (or perhaps second only to Revis) the team needs to get rid of before any of this Marshall stuff even came up.  Combining that with a number of other baseless claims, such as assigning opinions to other players that have not expressed such opinions, or trying to assign complete blame to any single person on this team's locker room problems, is ridiculous.

There's a decent chance Marshall is done here, and that very well may be for the best, but that doesn't mean people need to buy into every bit of conspiracy theory surrounding the guy either.  This seems to just be another attempt to find the ONE GUY to blame for everything, as Jets fans so love to do, but never turns out to be true.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Did you watch any of those final games with Petty?  It didnt take much to see he was giving minimal effort at best. 

And here's how effective Brandon Marshall was this year.  It's pathetic, fyi. 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

I certainly did. And I attribute that to multiple factors . 1) Petty had a much better rapport with Anderson from the preseason - so its only natural he would look his way more. 2) The emphasis was to get rid of the ball quickly so Powell became a bigger component of the passing game . 3) Its easy for any receiver to look uninterested when they're not a big part of the gameplan , the same thing in essence happened to Enumwa . 4) Losing Decker allowed opposing teams to shift more focus to Marshall , especially when Fitz seemed to lock exclusively on only him . 5) He played with an assortment of injuries all year , things you fight through when your winning will sometimes put you on the sldelines when your losing.

His overall Wr stats speak volumes of how badly the set of Jet QB's played this season.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You're quite right, we cannot fully quantify it.  And it's (for us fans) pointless now.

But think about this:  Other than the K.C. game, the Fitz we saw in 2016 was almost exactly the same Fitz we saw in 2015.  And the same Fitz, performance wise, we saw in his entire career.  K.C. and the 6 INT's was the outlier than changes the numbers, but that was one start and one game/loss.   The rest of the year, Fitz was Fitz.

The difference between 2015 and 2016 was we had a top 10 defense in 2015, and our WR's stayed healthy and didn't drop so many passes.  

In 2016 we led the league in droped passes, lost our #2 WR barely at the seasons start, special teams cost us 2-3 games with difference-maker misses/fumbles/allowed returns, and most vital we dropped from Top 5 Defense to a Bottom 5 Defense. 

Nah man, he was missing stuff he didnt miss last year.  Like easy TD's to Marshall, wide open receivers, or not even seeing it by making the wrong read all together, holding the ball longer, taking an unnecessary sack, etc. etc. etc.  He was a totally different player this year.  Just look at the passing break downs that are posted here.  He was atrocious.  I think the lack of a consistent run game hurt too.  Fitz isnt a gun slinger who can carry an offense.

That said, the D was definitely a huge step backwards and that played its part big time. 

Archived