Linebacker pipeline

Patriot Killa

We see teams like the Pittsburgh Steelers who consistently draft LB's between the 4th-5th rounds and it becomes a pipeline of young players with potential and the investment's goal is to get solid depth at the least, and maybe even more if you strike gold.. Take Shaizer for example. We have molded some what of the same structure with our own Linebacker corps with Mauldin, Jenkins and Lee. Do you see these guys turning into nothing more than solid depth or do you see reliable starter material in any of these players. Do we draft another linebacker in place of Harris this year? If so who, and what round?

Hopefully we can find success in the continuity of this blueprint. The corner position could use the same treatment. 

Great thought provoking question.  One thing that the Pittsburg Steelers have is continuity in their coaching and defensive philosophy.  The Jets don't have that in place yet.  This year it was rumored that the coaching staff asked Mauldin to Bulk up, which clearly took away that exciting speed around the corner that he showed as a surprise rookie (He was that unknown name guy that you rooted for because he earned his place) This year he regressed.  Darron Lee's body type reminds me of former Jet Johnathan Vilma but as we saw that type of player get often injured or played out of position when at that time we moved to a 3/4 defensive alignment when he was more suited for a 4/3 defense which is why I believe Lee was played out of position this year on the inside and could have been used better with that speed like Von Miller on the outside to get to the passer.  Jenkins is a prototype 3/4 outside guy because he is smart, big to contain that outside running game like a Mo Lewis/Calvin Pace.

With news that a lot of the defensive position coaches on defense have been let go, mishandling player's playing positions and weight management most likely indicates that mistakes were made and stunted their learning process this past year.  The young guy's got a lot of game experience now they just have be coached properly as they all clearly have the talent to be playmakers on defense.

I'll tell you what I think, and leave it at that . we had a bunch of tired old experience LBs who were slower than a snail . We have replace most of them with young inexperience prospects who have tremendous speed  .   Coach Bowles has told us from the beginning that to get in the rotation, you have to earn it on the practice field . Mauldin took over the outside rush linebacker position and was doing well until he suffered a high ankle sprain . Darren Lee has a foothold  on one of the Inside linebacker positions and brings speed we haven't had in forever . Jordan Jenkins has taken over the Sam linebacker position and has done a solid job improving steadily as the season went along. Freddy Bishop showed   flashes as a solid rotational guy on the outside .  Josh Martin is another young player who is a core special teamer and adds depth .

These guys need time and experience and that's a problem in the market where "Madden" and Fantasy Football have people believing that you can't win without having a pro-bowler at every position . This Fan base and media would have labeled Jadeveon  Clowney a bust and ran him out of town already. It took sometime, but the Kid is playing ball now like he did in college .

We add that special speed rusher, and our defense will be back .

That is all .

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

We see teams like the Pittsburgh Steelers who consistently draft LB's between the 4th-5th rounds and it becomes a pipeline of young players with potential and the investment's goal is to get solid depth at the least, and maybe even more if you strike gold.. Take Shaizer for example. We have molded some what of the same structure with our own Linebacker corps with Mauldin, Jenkins and Lee. Do you see these guys turning into nothing more than solid depth or do you see reliable starter material in any of these players. Do we draft another linebacker in place of Harris this year? If so who, and what round?

Hopefully we can find success in the continuity of this blueprint. The corner position could use the same treatment. 

I like Jenkins a lot - he loses the ball a lot (bites on play action) and has tackled guys who don't even have the ball on a few occasions but he is a hard hitter and he holds up at point of attack well.  He is deceivingly fast which will only get faster with experience.  The losing of ball should go away as he gets more experience.  Once he improves on that watch out.

Jury out on Lee - I wonder if he will ever "get it" as he seems lost more than he should be.  He is only 21 and fast so hoping for best.

Not sure what to think with Mauldin as he does flash once in a while but he looked horrible in preseason and the beginning of the season...maybe it was the weight thing but he was not beating 3rd and 4th stringers 1 on 1 and I suspect that is why he didnt see the field in beginning of season.

That new guy 44 Lemonier (cant spell) seems interesting.  He looked ok against Buffalo.  He is already a FA though so i wonder if they re-sign him.

I would love for us to someone come out of the Draft with Foster from AL.

Jenkins seemed to give up the outside a ton.  I never specifically watched him, but I specifically remember he and Mauldin giving up the edge a ton in at least one game late. (the 2nd Dolphin game?)  Speed is nice, but if you don't maintain your lane it doesn't much matter. Hopefully that is mostly an experience thing. 

I have higher hopes for Lee than some because of his athleticism, but he took a lot of bad angles and looked soft at times, and I'm not sure if those are things you can fix. I don't think Jenkins will ever be a true pass rusher, but he looks like he can at least stick around as a homeless man's Calvin Pace. Mauldin is a terrible athlete who runs like he has a load in his pants and gets hurt all the time. I think it's 50/50 he even makes the roster next year.

32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Jenkins seemed to give up the outside a ton.  I never specifically watched him, but I specifically remember he and Mauldin giving up the edge a ton in at least one game late. (the 2nd Dolphin game?)  Speed is nice, but if you don't maintain your lane it doesn't much matter. Hopefully that is mostly an experience thing. 

I saw a few good things from both of them this year. They are young and may never become anything great for us but I wouldn't write either of them off just yet. It is easy to not look good when the entire defense around them looks bad too.

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

4th and 5th rounds?  Shazier, Dupree and Jones were 1st round picks. So was Timmons, Heyward and Hood. 

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I'll tell you what I think, and leave it at that . we had a bunch of tired old experience LBs who were slower than a snail . We have replace most of them with young inexperience prospects who have tremendous speed  .   Coach Bowles has told us from the beginning that to get in the rotation, you have to earn it on the practice field . Mauldin took over the outside rush linebacker position and was doing well until he suffered a high ankle sprain . Darren Lee has a foothold  on one of the Inside linebacker positions and brings speed we haven't had in forever . Jordan Jenkins has taken over the Sam linebacker position and has done a solid job improving steadily as the season went along. Freddy Bishop showed   flashes as a solid rotational guy on the outside .  Josh Martin is another young player who is a core special teamer and adds depth .

These guys need time and experience and that's a problem in the market where "Madden" and Fantasy Football have people believing that you can't win without having a pro-bowler at every position . This Fan base and media would have labeled Jadeveon  Clowney a bust and ran him out of town already. It took sometime, but the Kid is playing ball now like he did in college .

That is all .

I'm excited about our LB position. 

I know it's not as important as LT or CB or as flashy as WR or RB, but I think having a deep group at LB eliminates a good number of options for the opposing offense and makes the whole defense better.

I know people are down on Lee, and they can point to stats and figures to back that up, but I think he's going to be ok. He played too fast this year. He had the hiccups of a rookie. But he's fast, athletic, quick, smart, and talented. He has the tools, he just needs to keep learning. If he was being outrunned and manhandled I'd have been more worried, but from my angle I just see a guy that was trying to do too much too fast. If he takes it down a notch he can be really good...That can be taught. 

Curious to see what Jenkins does this offseason... The weight he comes in at next year will tell us a lot about the kind of role they want him to play going forward. I'm curious if they'll use him as an "edge setter" type who contains the play, or if they might have him drop some weight and become more of an outside rusher... I think he's another smart guy with a high football IQ, and could play whereever they put him going forward.

Our coach has zero clue how to use these guys because he is too busy being a hybrid coach in which players can never really learn a position and do what they do best. 

The Steelers play a base 3-4 system, draft guys that suit that system and then put them in position to succeed.

Our GM drafted mauldin and jenkins to be 3-4 olbs that could be stout vs the run and get a pass rush (no they are not pure edge rushers) and our coach harldy played them in pass rushing situations or at least didn't seem to stress, 'get to the QB'

Lee was indeed supposed to be Shazier but other than being fast he is nothing like shazier imo.  We will see if they can coach him up in some areas but if that kind of player is not making lots of big plays they become a huge liability.

I don;t like Lee in particular but don;t ind the thought process for that pick.  I like both Mauldin and jenkins.  I think our present coaching staff will make as bad of use of them as is possible, that's how down i am on our D coaching.

51 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

For someone who is supposed to set the edge as opposed to pass rusher, that dude did a terrible job.  Homey is on skates.  He gets pushed back and pushed out a ton.

Big time concerns with OLB and ILB positions.  Zero play makers at this point. 

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

That is all .

Still have to fix the "communication issues" in the secondary.

49 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Our coach has zero clue how to use these guys because he is too busy being a hybrid coach in which players can never really learn a position and do what they do best. 

The Steelers play a base 3-4 system, draft guys that suit that system and then put them in position to succeed.

Our GM drafted mauldin and jenkins to be 3-4 olbs that could be stout vs the run and get a pass rush (no they are not pure edge rushers) and our coach harldy played them in pass rushing situations or at least didn't seem to stress, 'get to the QB'

Lee was indeed supposed to be Shazier but other than being fast he is nothing like shazier imo.  We will see if they can coach him up in some areas but if that kind of player is not making lots of big plays they become a huge liability.

I don;t like Lee in particular but don;t ind the thought process for that pick.  I like both Mauldin and jenkins.  I think our present coaching staff will make as bad of use of them as is possible, that's how down i am on our D coaching.

Lee is exactly like Shazier was his rookie yr . Comparing a rookie to a 3 yr vet is what you do to make your agenda live . In Shazier's 1st season, he looked over match, and was out of place many times . When he got comfortable in the scheme, the speed and ability his displayed in college started to manifest itself on the field . Kid still gets hurt due to his size and recklessness thou.  

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Lee is exactly like Shazier was his rookie yr . Comparing a rookie to a 3 yr vet is what you do to make your agenda live . In Shazier's 1st season, he looked over match, and was out of place many times . When he got comfortable in the scheme, the speed and ability his displayed in college started to manifest itself on the field . Kid still gets hurt due to his size and recklessness thou.  

The big sticking point is 'get comfortable in the scheme'  Our 'scheme' is all over the place.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The big sticking point is 'get comfortable in the scheme'  Our 'scheme' is all over the place.

Thanks for the opening .

The biggest problem with our defense was Bowles and Rodgers trying to get their best players all on the field at the same time even if it meant playing someone out of position . In the 1st game of the season, the Jets didn't have Richardson and Mauldin started at OLBer . The defense played decent until we found out that Revis could no longer cover any speed receiver deep man to man . We didn't realize it at the time, preferring to give a former shut down corner the benefit of the doubt .

The real problems started the very next game when someone started Richardson at LBer and made Mauldin a DPR  in an effort to get our 4 defensive linemen on the field at the same time .  It took away from Richardson's game and didn't allow Mauldin to continue growing as an OLBer . Late in the season, the Jets stop this but by then the secondary was such a mess it didn't help solve anything . The 2 kid Outside LBers started playing much better thou and it showed in the Jets being better against the run outside . Having a diverse scheme is not a problem . Having a diverse scheme with 3 rookies a NT who's more of a penetrating type than a clog the middle type and new to the system and a confused secondary  was the problem .

Furthermore, losing Snacks was a big problem, because the NT didn't require a double team any more and OGs were now able to reach the Jets middle line backers . The protection that Snacks gave to the defensive ends and the middle linebackers was missed badly by our defense. Simon did an admirable job, and has developed nicely, but Mclendon while getting a better push up the middle to the QB, wasn't as stout as Snacks .

It was a calculated gamble and it backfired . When it was fixed, injuries created another issue but even in that, the Jets got a good look at Freddy Bishop on the outside in live action and he showed well .

Things look bleak, but when you take a step back and examine the rubble, you realize all is not lost .

10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Thanks for the opening .

The biggest problem with our defense was Bowles and Rodgers trying to get their best players all on the field at the same time even if it meant playing someone out of position . In the 1st game of the season, the Jets didn't have Richardson and Mauldin started at OLBer . The defense played decent until we found out that Revis could no longer cover any speed receiver deep man to man . We didn't realize it at the time, preferring to give a former shut down corner the benefit of the doubt .

The real problems started the very next game when someone started Richardson at LBer and made Mauldin a DPR  in an effort to get our 4 defensive linemen on the field at the same time .  It took away from Richardson's game and didn't allow Mauldin to continue growing as an OLBer . Late in the season, the Jets stop this but by then the secondary was such a mess it didn't help solve anything . The 2 kid Outside LBers started playing much better thou and it showed in the Jets being better against the run outside . Having a diverse scheme is not a problem . Having a diverse scheme with 3 rookies a NT who's more of a penetrating type than a clog the middle type and new to the system and a confused secondary  was the problem .

Furthermore, losing Snacks was a big problem, because the NT didn't require a double team any more and OGs were now able to reach the Jets middle line backers . The protection that Snacks gave to the defensive ends and the middle linebackers was missed badly by our defense. Simon did an admirable job, and has developed nicely, but Mclendon while getting a better push up the middle to the QB, wasn't as stout as Snacks .

It was a calculated gamble and it backfired . When it was fixed, injuries created another issue but even in that, the Jets got a good look at Freddy Bishop on the outside in live action and he showed well .

Things look bleak, but when you take a step back and examine the rubble, you realize all is not lost .

Snacks was only in about 50% of the defensive snaps and was demanding (rigjtfully so) pay equating to a 3 down player

Simon this year has probably been in maybe 25% of the snaps

So it seems to me their plan was to get away from using a NT and replace with the 3 down players...right or wrong.  With all the money imvested in their 3 dowm player group.....made sense.  Guess they were counting on more double team from MO whoch didn't materialize like it did in 2015 and sheldon has only showed up for a couple of games this year.  I do find it interesting how low Sheldon snap counts are in both 2015 and 2016 he does not seem to have the stamina of Leo and Mo so he is more rested to make more plays....just has not happened.

20 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Thanks for the opening .

Yeah because you have a good dlineman it's brilliant to play him at ilb and olb and sit guys on the bench who actually play that position.

30 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

This was not true IMO.  I think the team was very good against the run the first half with the exception of the Cardinals destruction.  They absolutely sucked the second half.  What Carlos Hyde did to them was inexcusable.  I think Mauldin was already hurt by then, but they were certainly both on the field when Ajayi torched them. 

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah because you have a good dlineman it's brilliant to play him at ilb and olb and sit guys on the bench who actually play that position.

Did I say it was smart . Rex tried it with Coples, and it didn't work. Bowles tried it with Richardson, and it didn't work.  Bowles thou, was smart enough to realize his mistake and put Mauldin and Richardson back where they belong.  The move was made because at the beginning of the season, Mauldin was giving up the edge in an effort to get to the QB . Richardson fixed that problem, but he wasn't as good at rushing from the outside as Mauldin and was a major liability in coverage .

They made a mistake, but they corrected the mistake  . It's not a hanging crime .  Having your unit underperforming is a hanging crime . The defense underperformed, but within that, was the secondary and the Defensive line .  The 2 men that were hired to run those groups were hung .  The LBs were young and inexperience, so the man that was hired to run that group was given a stay of execution . So was the leader of the Unit . The hangman hasn't left town thou and as a matter of fact, he's renting an apartment .

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This was not true IMO.  I think the team was very good against the run the first half with the exception of the Cardinals destruction.  They absolutely sucked the second half.  What Carlos Hyde did to them was inexcusable.  I think Mauldin was already hurt by then, but they were certainly both on the field when Ajayi torched them. 

Both games against the Dolphins the Jets did well against the run . The 49ers game was inexcusable in the 1st half .but better in the second . In the 1st dolphins game Ajayi got outside on 2 big runs late in the game but so what, their offensive linemen get paid too .

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Both games against the Dolphins the Jets did well against the run . The 49ers game was inexcusable in the 1st half .but better in the second . In the 1st dolphins game Ajayi got outside on 2 big runs late in the game but so what, their offensive linemen get paid too .

Well?  Late in the game?  Yeah they stopped him the first few plays, but Ajayi had a 20 yard TD on the first drive.  He could have run for 5 miles.  Nobody was going to tackle him until after he updated his instagram. They were gashed on the run on the 2nd drive too.  Did you forget Damien Williams?  Not horrific is not doing well.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Well?  Late in the game?  Yeah they stopped him the first few plays, but Ajayi had a 20 yard TD on the first drive.  He could have run for 5 miles.  Nobody was going to tackle him until after he updated his instagram. They were gashed on the run on the 2nd drive too.  Did you forget Damien Williams?  Not horrific is not doing well.

Considering what Ajayi did the previous 2 weeks prior to playing the Jets that 1st game, I think the Jets defense did well against him .  the guy had just over 100 yards rushing and less than 60 in the 2nd game .

3 hours ago, JiF said:

4th and 5th rounds?  Shazier, Dupree and Jones were 1st round picks. So was Timmons, Heyward and Hood. 

Pittsburgh tends to invest in their linebackers' unit both through the draft and has a culture for developing linebackers.  Since their defense is centered around the linebackers, it only makes sense that they invest so much in that group.

I listed all the "LBs" drafted in the past 10 drafts.  I added Ziggy and Heyward since they were drafted as defensive ends.

Year Rnd Player Pick Pos To AP1 PB St CarAV G
2016 6 Travis Feeney 220 OLB - 0 0 0 - -
2016 7 Tyler Matakevich 246 OLB 2016 0 0 0 0 16
2015 1 Bud Dupree 22 OLB 2016 0 0 0 3 23
2014 1 Ryan Shazier 15 LB 2016 0 0 2 9 34
2014 6 Jordan Zumwalt 192 LB - 0 0 0 - -
2013 1 Jarvis Jones 17 LB 2016 0 0 1 14 50
2013 6 Vince Williams 206 LB 2016 0 0 1 9 63
2012 3 Sean Spence 86 LB 2016 0 0 1 7 46
2011 5 Chris Carter 162 LB 2016 0 0 0 5 62
2010 5 Stevenson Sylvester 166 LB 2013 0 0 0 5 50
2008 3 Bruce Davis 88 LB 2011 0 0 0 0 15
2008 6 Mike Humpal 188 LB - 0 0 0 - -
2007 1 Lawrence Timmons 15 LB 2016 0 1 8 62 158
2011 1 Cameron Heyward 31 DE 2016 0 0 3 25 87
2009 1 Evander Hood 32 DE 2016 0 0 4 29 114

When was the last time the Jets had a dominate in your face bad ass LB type, its been awhile. 

The last one in my opinion was Bryan Cox. 

I wanted Vontaz Burfict,Clay Matthews,Luke Kiechly,Brian Urlacher,Ray Lewis,Donte Hightower,Jarod Mayo,Khahlil Mack instead we went other directions. 

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Pass Rusher- Tim Williams- in the teens rd. 1 via a trade down scenario.

ILB- Z.Cunningham- in the twenties rd. 1 via trade down scenario or early in the 2nd round, if he is there. 

These guys are beasts, if you have a chance to take either one in that range, you pull the trigger. I think the Jets need to move on from Harris and complete their LB corp re-build with Mauldin, Lee, and Jenkins (along with the rookies)  as the young core.

I'm not sure if Mauldin will ever be the pass rusher we had hoped for. But I think him and Jenkins could be solid starters. Lee looks like he can develop into a versatile every-down LB. Pro Bowl caliber.

Tim Williams looks like he might be an elite pass rusher at the NFL level. Z.Cunningham has massive upside and looks like a Luke Kuechly type who can do it all and anchor the LB corps. I am very high on him.   

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Pass Rusher- Tim Williams- in the teens rd. 1 via a trade down scenario.

ILB- Z.Cunningham- in the twenties rd. 1 via trade down scenario or early in the 2nd round, if he is there. 

These guys are beasts, if you have a chance to take either one in that range, you pull the trigger. I think the Jets need to move on from Harris and complete their LB corp re-build with Mauldin, Lee, and Jenkins (along with the rookies)  as the young core.

I'm not sure if Mauldin will ever be the pass rusher we had hoped for. But I think him and Jenkins could be solid starters. Lee looks like he can develop into a versatile every-down LB. Pro Bowl caliber.

Tim Williams looks like he might be an elite pass rusher at the NFL level. Z.Cunningham has massive upside and looks like a Luke Kuechly type who can do it all and anchor the LB corps. I am very high on him.   

I won't comment on him until I see what he weighs at the combines . I'm not drafting any 235 edge rusher in the 1st round . 

Archived