Woody Speaks

Tinstar

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was talk about accountability .

“From my standpoint, they have a plan looking into the future that will make the team better,” Johnson said. “And they have a way of judging accountability and performance in a way that accurately measures what’s going on.”

There was talk about the youth movement within the team

The youth movement in Florham Park is already under way as the Jets’ active roster following Week 17 featured 33 players (62%) ages 25 and younger.

Over the last two draft classes, only two of the 13 selections have not started a game for the Jets. One of those players, second-round pick Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif , underwent a redshirt season in 2016.

johnson-art2.jpg
But perhaps more impressive is the laundry list of players drafted in the fourth round or later under the Bowles/Maccagnan regime that have contributed to the team this year.

“I think it’s the realization that we have to build young through the draft,” Johnson said. “It’s the way it’s done. Just having confidence in your drafting ability and your pro and particularly college scouts. Making sure that they’re accurately drafting the players that the coach is looking for to build this kind of team.”

Finally, maybe Woody will allow a rebuild and not bend over to fan and media pressure .  I especially love these words .

“I know that planning is the only way to get anything done long term,” he said. “You’ve got to stick to your plan — that's investing or anything else. You have to have a plan and the confidence and courage to stick to that plan and build that way.”

This commentary by Woody seems to be Mac related only.  None of his commentary has anything to do regarding Bowles inability to game day coach (no adjustments, terrible clock management, etc.) .  How the hell is "planning" going to fix Bowles incompetence when it comes to these issues?

Woody is a fool for keeping this moron as Head Coach.

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

This commentary by Woody seems to be Mac related only.  None of his commentary has anything to do regarding Bowles inability to game day coach (no adjustments, terrible clock management, etc.) .  How the hell is "planning" going to fix Bowles incompetence when it comes to these issues?

Woody is a fool for keeping this moron as Head Coach.

He's the fool but you're the one running up your blood pressure and working yourself into  a frenzy ? I think I want to be a Fool also .

26 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Finally, maybe Woody will allow a rebuild and not bend over to fan and media pressure .  I especially love these words .

“I know that planning is the only way to get anything done long term,” he said. “You’ve got to stick to your plan — that's investing or anything else. You have to have a plan and the confidence and courage to stick to that plan and build that way.”

Lots of dead money towards the cap next season for a team in a 'youth movement'.

Sounds an awful lot like Woody is trying to polish a turd.   

What Woody has decided to do is similar to a parent telling their child they can't
have cake and ice cream for breakfast, lunch & dinner.  They have to eat a balanced
diet with vegetables, there will be pouting and crying but who cares.  Patience has to
be shown and the management team has to be given time to implement their plan.  That
can't be done in two seasons, people seem to forget the horrible drafts that Tannenbaum
& Ryan produced in their later years

1 minute ago, KRL said:

What Woody has decided to do is similar to a parent telling their child they can't
have cake and ice cream for breakfast, lunch & dinner.  They have to eat a balanced
diet with vegetables, there will be pouting and crying but who cares.  Patience has to
be shown and the management team has to be given time to implement their plan.  That
can't be done in two seasons, people seem to forget the horrible drafts that Tannenbaum

Macc's drafts are very questionable in my opinion and he has a lot of roster players that are reaches that wouldn't be in the NFL if not for the Jets and the QB pick in the 2nd round...

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Macc's drafts are very questionable in my opinion and he has a lot of roster players that are reaches that wouldn't be in the NFL if not for the Jets and the QB pick in the 2nd round...

I want to draft a few more QBS before  I judge him....?

25 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Lots of dead money towards the cap next season for a team in a 'youth movement'.

all they gotta do is cut revis and clady and they'll have more than enough money for the draft picks and any udfa's they bring in.  not a problem.

30 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Some here think that dead cap money is nothing to matter. Those funds keep the roster bare of good ST players at the very least. 

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

all they gotta do is cut revis and clady and they'll have more than enough money for the draft picks and any udfa's they bring in.  not a problem.

Pretty sure you missed my entire point.  If you are rebuilding with youth you really shouldn't have so much dead money.   It's a lot more than just Revis too - it's fitz, skrine, gilchrist, Wilkerson ('18 cut), possibly Harris - all contracts given out by macc.   

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

Pretty sure you missed my entire point.  If you are rebuilding with youth you really shouldn't have so much dead money.   It's a lot more than just Revis too - it's fitz, skrine, gilchrist, Wilkerson ('18 cut), possibly Harris - all contracts given out by macc.   

i don't think so.  there's only so much youth you can inject.  this year they only need to cut two guys to get all the cap money they need to absorb the potential youth they want.  also, they are obligated to spend a minimum threshold of the cap so they will necessarily have some vets. but you are right about the vet contracts that are hampering the cap maneuverings, especially if they want to go after a bigtime free agent qb.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

“From my standpoint, they have a plan looking into the future that will make the team better,” Johnson said. “And they have a way of judging accountability and performance in a way that accurately measures what’s going on.”

And Woody is actually going to represent all of us to the British people. No wonder they look down upon us. 

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

I don't see the problem, because by the time these kids prove themselves enough to command big money, that dead money will be long gone .  The key is to have players in place who can replace a veteran if his contract demands become too cost prohibitive .

We 're keeping Mo Wilkerson and looking for him to rebound  We.re either going to come to an agreement with Powell that works for both parties or we take a RB capable of replacing him . Enunwa can replace Marshall if need be and line up with  Decker saving us money and advancing the youth movement .  There's a plan in place, but it takes time to add players, develop them and try and stay competitive while doing it .

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Revis was cake for breakfast. Fitzpatrick was like bubble gum toothpaste after orange juice.

Saying you have a plan and actually executing it are different things.

Why are so many knocking Woody on his statements in this article???

Imo this was an excellent take by Woody.

First and foremost Woody indicated that the Jets have a plan, a real strategic plan.  That they have discussed, contemplated and weighed. And importantly that doesn't mean that they have to share that plan with us, or the the media, or other teams.  

Rather Woody's statement states that they have a long term strategic plan that they are attempting to implement bit by bit and that they have metrics around which they are going to judge the efficacy of that plan.   That is what good companies and organizations do.  And I am for one very hearted by that  

Because in truth that is all you can ask. 

For example last off season I was big on Glennon.  Now I don't think that there is any question that Gelnnnon would have performed better overall then Fitzpatrick did this last season because as one article put it Fitz was "historically bad".   

But taking what Woody said to heart tells me that if Glennon while making the team a little better in the short run, but not as good as it could be in the long run according to their plan they may not pull the trigger on a move like that. 

At the end of the day we have to trust that these guys, so long as they have a plan, know more than us just typing on a very good Jets forum blog. 

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

There was talk about accountability .

Hahahahahahahahaha

On his thought process in bringing Head Coach Todd Bowles back…

I have confidence in Todd Bowles. We went through a pretty exhaustive search – a 10-day search – going through that process with Ron (Wolf) and Charley (Casserly) and Neil (Glat), and some other guys here, I have the same feeling about him (today as I did then). (He’s) very, very smart. (He) played the game (and) understands it from the player standpoint and from a coaching standpoint. He was (assistant) coach of the year with the Cardinals, so none of that’s changed. I’ve been talking to him the last couple of days, and I’m still very, very (much) in his corner. He’s very talented. I think he’s going to get better as we all are, including me, at what they do. So, I’m just so happy to have him - both him and Mike (Maccagnan).

On balancing continuity with the notion of turning things around quickly…

Yes, that’s a really good question. I think continuity, in some ways, allows you to have success because changing a lot of moving pieces makes it much more difficult. I, number one, have a lot of confidence in Todd and Mike, and their staffs, or I wouldn’t do it. I think that, over time, their plan is going to yield what you are talking about.

On if there is mandate to make the playoffs in year three…

No. I don’t really like mandates because they normally don’t work - lines in the sand or whatever. You don’t want to judge it that way. The way we’ll judge it is getting better each and every year, and seeing it in our players, our young players - are they getting better or are they going the other way.

On what makes him think this is going in the right direction right now…

Just what I see when I see the young players and their contribution this year. Even though it was not the year we wanted or expected, you could see that some of the young receivers, some of the defensive players making a contribution. So that’s pretty good. That’s what we’re looking for.

On how disappointed he is with the 5-11 record…

Well, I’m in the game of winning. So, anytime I don’t win, I’m disappointed. We do this for our fans. Our fans want us to win. This is their team and when they don’t win, they’re disappointed. I don’t blame them. I’m disappointed.

On if he needs to suggest that the fans should be more patient…

I think that they have to have confidence. This is their team. They have to see what’s happening and have confidence that we have everything in place to make it better and give them what they want. So they can be proud of their team.

On if the reports of a fractured locker room concern him…

Yes, anything fractured concerns me. When you’re losing games and you came off the previous season, you’re expecting to win games. These are young guys. The coach knows exactly what’s happening, but the young guys have to pick themselves up and manage themselves. Sometimes it’s one or two guys that do it and everybody gets blamed for (the locker room being) fractured, and it’s really not fractured. It’s partially fractured.

On if he sees this as a long-term rebuilding process…

Well, I hope it’s not that long term. We’re going to build the team through the draft. I think Coach and Mike, know exactly what we’re looking for, the kind of players. By definition (when you are building through the draft you are), we’ll be getting younger, faster, smarter and so on. We will use the draft primarily (to build), but we’ll also use free agency judiciously, trading, and the rest of it. But, mostly through the draft.

On a report during the season alleging that he felt betrayed by Darrelle Revis…

I don’t think that was from me.

On what he thinks of Revis’ performance this year…

My feeling towards Darrelle is different, I think. He’s going to be a hall-of-famer. There’s no question. He’s one of the best players to ever put on a Jets uniform, that’s for sure. Or any uniform. I mean he just had such an unbelievable talent and it wasn’t his best year. But a lot of guys didn’t have good years this year. So, my hats off to Darrelle on a great career.

On if he wants Revis to return next year…

I like Darrelle, but it’s up to the coaches and general manager to decide how he fits, and all that.

On if it will impact the way he handles this football team as far as his ownership responsibility if he accepts a role in the Trump administration…

Let me just say it would be an honor to be considered for something like that. But that’s speculation at this time, so I really can’t comment on that.

On why he is interested in being a United States Ambassador…

That’s speculation that I’m interested in anything.

On if he is interested in becoming an Ambassador for the United States…

I don’t really want to talk anything about that subject right now, but thank you.

On why Jets fans should be confident he can steer this team going forward…

That’s a good question. I think they have to be confident that we, the team here at the Jets, care about the Jets and care about the success of the Jets as much as they do and we’ve got the talent to do it. We’ve got to show them, Mike and Todd and the team and me, that we’re going in the right direction. That this plan, that we’ll be laying out, is a plan that they believe in. I think it’s the only real way to get better in the NFL, and that’s to build with young players through the draft. You can look at the history of all of these teams. It’s really hard to do it any other way.

On if his confidence in Coach Bowles wavered at any point during this season…

I think it’s the realization that you have to build with young (players) through the draft. It’s the way it’s done. Just having confidence in your drafting ability and your pro and particularly college scouts. Making sure that they’re accurately drafting the players that the coach is looking for to build this kind of team.

On how difficult it is for him to patient…

I’m like the fans. I’m not essentially patient. But I know that planning is the only way you get anything done long term. You’ve got to stick to your plan. It’s (like) investing or anything else. You’ve got to have a plan and you’ve got to have the confidence and courage to stick by that plan and build that way.

On how he feels about the quarterback position…

That’s a key position. We’re finding out. We’re learning more about (it). Now we’ve got Bryce (Petty) and Christian Hackenberg. We don’t know a lot about Christian, but we saw some good things from Bryce in the last (few) games that he played. So, we’ll have to evaluate.

On if he questioned why Hackenberg did not play this season…

I think it was a plan. We started out with four quarterbacks, so there was no way that Christian Hackenberg was going to get the reps to really get himself ready. This is kind of a redshirt year for him. We’ll see. Between now and camp, he’ll have some time to get better on his own without us talking to him.

On if he expects Hackenberg to compete for the starting job next season….

We’ll see. That’s something they’re going to have to see, whether he’s going to be ready at that point.

On an anonymous coach’s comment that Hackenberg “couldn’t hit the ocean”…

Yes, I saw that. I guess it depends which ocean (joking). Maybe it was a small ocean (joking). EPA describes that as an ocean (joking). Anyway, no that’s not funny. You’ve got to ask Todd Bowles about Christian because he’s got some opinions about Christian Hackenberg. I think he has maybe a little bit (of a) higher opinion than that.

On if he believes the Jets have a realistic chance of winning the AFC East while Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are in the division…

I can’t talk about individual players or individual teams, but the AFC East has been very, very difficult with that great team. That’s a challenge, but we like a challenge. Our goal is to have a team that’s very, very competitive.

On if his emotions can be described as frustrated, bitter and disappointed with how the season turned out…

All of those things. Maybe not bitter. We want to win. I want to deliver to the audience something that they want - to Jets fans who are the lifeblood of the team. What do they want? I want to give it to them. That’s what the coach wants to do and Mike and everybody that works in this building.

On his message is to the fans regarding patience…

I think they have to be confident in the plan and the idea of building this way. All of the great teams have been built this way. This is what you’ve got to do.

On how much sports-talk radio he listens to…

I don’t listen to it.

On Jets fans being angry…

I understand that they’re angry. I understand that.

On what he would say to the fan that says change is necessary in order to win…

I would say you’ve just got to be confident in what we’re trying to do. There’s really no way around it. I understand their anger after losing. We don’t like to lose. Jets fans want to win.

On if he will consider lowering ticket prices in 2017…

We haven’t decided what we’re going to do with ticket prices this year. We probably won’t raise them.

On how far the team is from being a playoff team…

You can judge that yourself. I think, like any year, there are games we should’ve won. A bunch of things happened that you all have brilliantly reported over the year. You’re the eyes and ears of this place. You know exactly what happened - the schedule, the injuries, the guys dropping off or dropping out or whatever. There’s just a cacophony of things that occurred. I do think we have a young base of talent that’s come in the last couple of years that gives us a lot of hope. If we continue that, it’s going to get really good.

On if he regrets re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick…

Do I regret that? No, because it looked like the right decision at the time that we did it. I have a lot of respect for him as a quarterback and as a person. No, I don’t have any regrets.

On if he is concerned about negative comments from anonymous organizational sources about Hackenberg…

No, I’m not disappointed because he really didn’t have a chance to grow as much as he will in the future. You can’t just observe and get better. You’ve got to play the game, so when Christian is more active in the regular rotation and starts playing, you’re going to see who he is.

On if he’s surprised by angry fans who decided not attend games at the end of the season when then became angrier upon learning that Bowles would be returning as head coach…

No. The passion shows up in a lot of different ways. No, I’m not surprised at all. I’m not surprised. They want to win and so they’re looking for answers. And the answer is what I’ve been describing – it’s the way you have to build these things. That’s the way to do it. A lot of change, as I pointed out earlier, is not the answer. That’s not the way to do it, in our opinion. You’ll get to where you want to be sooner if you go down the path that we’re going to go.

On if he sees Bowles and Maccagnan as a tag team working together…

Helping each other? They do. They’re on the same page. Different personalities, different ways of delivering information, as you are well aware, but they will get this done, in my opinion.

On if the structure of Bowles and Maccagnan reporting directly to him is working…

That’s the way it is on paper, but they talk to each other more than they talk to me. You have to have a community of interest between the two important players on the team side. On paper, it goes that way. That’s kind of typical to the extent that there is anything typical in the NFL.

On what he means specifically when stating that Bowles and Maccagnan will ‘get it done’…

What I mean is, from my standpoint, I have confidence that they have a plan looking into the future that will make the team better and they have a way of judging accountability and judging performance in a way that really accurately measures what’s going on.

On if he believes Bowles and Maccagnan will be able to deliver a Super Bowl…

I wouldn’t have them if I didn’t. I’m not in here to come in second place.

On how long he is willing to wait for Bowles and Maccagnan’s plan to materialize…

How long will I have to wait (joking)? I can’t give you, Kimberley (Martin), I can’t give you an accurate thing. You just have to have confidence that we’re going in the right direction. Every day we’re trying to get better and I think the determination to do that and being on focus every single day, every moment of every day, getting better and measuring your strengths and your weaknesses will eventually lead to something good.

On what he has to do differently or better as an owner…

Everything. I have to get better, too.

On what he has to do specifically…

I’ll be thinking about it all offseason (laughter).

On if he was angry or frustrated by some of the team’s performances this season…

What was the fans’ reactions, do you think, on that? Not good, right? Well, I mirror that.

On if he learned anything in observing Bowles or Maccagnan during a losing situation…

Yes, I think those are the guys you want in a particular situation like this. I think they can handle going down and they can handle, more importantly, going up.

Archived