Per Manish, but worth a thread on Hackenberg's future

Matt39

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, southtown24th said:

I still can't figure the **** out why we drafted this ******* kid...it actually makes me ******* angry that we are holding off (potentially) on drafting another QB this year because of this ****.

According to whom ?

i guess manish the moron hasn't read the program.  as i understand it there was absolutely no way the jets were going to play hack this season regardless so why is this moron so surprised?  he shouldn't be.  and as far as i'm concerned more than an anonymous jets source needs to say something about hack for it to be believed.  i don't think mac is such a bad talent evaluator that he would've selected hack without some idea about the guy's talent.

Great post

Look at the QBs selected over the past 2 years, in any round.  

Many have been able to go out and play.  Not necessarily well, but play the game. Many won games.  Trevor Siemian has looked respectable.  Even Bryce won a game.

Hack was just awful in his preseason appearance.  LIke one of us playing QBs.

After a year in the system, Hack should be able to play preseason football with some starters and look like a pro QB. 

If Hack cannot even resemble a pro QB next year, the 2nd round pick for him will start looking bad (or what should be have been a lower round pick).

Breaking:  Manish anonymous source = Geno "the Slinger" Smith

no I have no link

yes I made it up just like Manish

but I actually think this is good thing for Hack

Let us see what he is made of, the world is against him, he has 6 months to work his ass off and prove the world wrong - if he does great, if he proves to be a waste of pick then move on...yes it is that simple.

Just now, southtown24th said:

What does our QB depth chart look like next year?

1. Veteran Wash Up--not Romo, not Cutler, etc.

2. Hackenberg

3. First Rounder 2017--Trubisky, Kizer, (dare I say) Watson, Mahomes?

How's that look to all of my esteemed colleagues here on the board?

u forgot to add the starter - petty

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

1) Why isn't Macc being held accountable AT ALL for using a second round pick on him, especially when so many better players were drafted after him? And

2) Okay, he hasn't shown a lot of development in practice but there still hasn't been a rational explanation given for why you wouldn't give Hack ANY game time snaps during a lost year, especially when you used a second round pick on him. 

Is Woody too stupid to even realize this? 

Devil's Advocate:

1. Because Hack is a 2nd year QB whose future remains unknown.  And no amount of bitter angry ex-Coaches or pissed off Defensive players will make (or break) Hack.  Hack himself holds his future in his hands.  Dear Lord, how about we let Hack have a 2nd year (of a 4 year contract) before we write him off completely.  He may be a total bust, but it's far too early to make that determination, and a Manish source-less article needs taken for what it is.

2. Because they didn't feel garbage time snaps in the last game of a lost season behind a make-shift O-line was a good way to introduce the kid to the NFL.  we may disagree, but their point does have some merit.  I'd have played him, but I respect their superior knowledge of both the kid, and what he would gain/not gain from starting.

Woody is almost assuredly vastly smarter than you.  Or me.  Or 95% of this forum.  Have no doubt about it, and if you do, ask yourself which of the two, you or him, owns an NFL team, makes hundreds of millions off that team, and will soon be a freaking Ambassador.  Psst....it's not you.  

13 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Latest WalterFootball mock draft:

https://walterfootball.com/draft2017.php

Mitch Trubisky falling to us at #5 and we pull the trigger. Music to my ears.

Also of note: Pat Mahomes, TTech QB, moves up into the first round...and Watson is back out of the first round and into the second round, as most predicted.

Despite all the great EDGE, S, CB and RB prospects that will be screaming for the Jets to pick them at 6, the Jets will have a hard time not picking the player they believe to be the best QB prospect available.  That is what happens to a team that does not have a Franchise QB.

So because the Jets do not have a Franchise QB, they will need to reach for one and pass up players that could end up being wildly successful in 2017.  The Jets could have a QB either sitting on the bench or playing and stinking while Fournette and Cook run over people and Tim Williams sacks the QB-for other teams.   And as we know, just because you pick a QB in the first round does not mean they turn out good.  The Jags and Dolphins were in the same position-without a QB-and drafted Bortles and Tannehill.  They had to.

Now-how does Macc possibly save himself from this mess?  How can he pick the BPA and maybe look for another QB prospect in the 2nd or lower rounds which is perhaps the better value?  By making sure Hack and/or Petty can play next year respectably, and then perhaps sign someone he thinks could be as good or better than a QB he would draft.

But finding a Franchise QB involves either reaching or trading lots of picks for a sure thing.  Or stinking.

Most with knowledge believe today that the Jets' best path today is BPA at 6 in 2017 and then pick the QB in 2018 after they stink in 2017, which is likely.  A hold the fort guy to play with Petty and Hack for 2017 works.  In 2018, you then have the draft pick, Petty/Hack and maybe the veteran.

I don't think it will turn out that way.

52 minutes ago, rangerous said:

okay, i think everyone gets that, but rarely do teams start a rookie back up or even play a back up unless a game is in garbage time or something like that.  i'm like every other fan thinking that hack as a 2nd rounder should play at some point but as the season played out there was no point in putting into a hopeless situation.  imo maybe bowles knew very well about his locker room and let fitz play the whole drama out.

The reason would be to get him some live action.  Maybe work through some of the kinks when pressure to succeed is low to nonexistent.

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

Most with knowledge believe today that the Jets' best path today is BPA at 6 in 2017 and then pick the QB in 2018 after they stink in 2017, which is likely.  A hold the fort guy to play with Petty and Hack for 2017 works.  In 2018, you then have the draft pick, Petty/Hack and maybe the veteran.

If we're going to stink, why sign some JAG "Hold the Fort" veteran?  Why not play Petty & Hack, draft another QB prospect in the late rounds, and go into 2017 with those three?

What is gained via a Fitz-a-like?

And if we draft a #1 QB in 2018, aren't we better off knowing exactly who Petty & Hack are by having played them all 2017, rather than sitting them behind "Insert JAG Veteran Here"?

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

If we're going to stink, why sign some JAG "Hold the Fort" veteran?  Why not play Petty & Hack, draft another QB prospect in the late rounds, and go into 2017 with those three?

And if we draft a #1 QB in 2018, aren't we better off knowing exactly who Petty & Hack are by having played them all 2017, rather than sitting them behind "Insert JAG Veteran Here"?

Because Petty and Hack is the quickest way for Bowles and Maccagnan to get fired. The fans timeline, the season ticket holder timeline and the FO's timeline are all different.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Just now, Matt39 said:

Because Petty and Hack is the quickest way for Bowles and Maccagnan to get fired.

I think both of these posts are spot on.

So for Woody, he is kind of in the worst position.   After given Macc and Bowles 4 year contracts and allowing them to basically accomplish little in the first 2 years, now they are desperate.  

His three choices were fire them, extend them or keep them as is.  The first 2 made sense for the long term.  Woody choose the third.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Because Petty and Hack is the quickest way for Bowles and Maccagnan to get fired.

Says who, fans?  What fans think matters not at all.  

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

The fans timeline, the season ticket holder timeline and the FO's timeline are all different.

I don't think the Jets are going to have a ton of problems selling tickets because they start Petty & Hack instead of say, Hoyer or some other veteran journeyman in 2017.

Kids bring hope, jag old guys don't.  And it's only one year, and 2018 (under the scenario above) will bring more hope with a #1 pick QB.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Says who, fans?  What fans think matters not at all.  

I don't think the Jets are going to have a ton of problems selling tickets because they start Petty & Hack instead of say, Hoyer or some other veteran journeyman in 2017.

Kids bring hope, jag old guys don't.  And it's only one year, and 2018 (under the scenario above) will bring more hope with a #1 pick QB.

Woody Johnson listens to the fans, specifically the season ticket holders who want this team built through trades and FA so they're not watching total sh*t 8 Sundays out of the year in a swamp.

Folks, we are hearing too many negatives to just ignore. We have all heard how he ran the Belicheat offense in his rookie season in school. I would remind everyone the NFL is not college. He then also tanked a ton the following years.
As my daddy used to say, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".
I just wonder if we would've been better off giving Tampa that second round pick and taking Mike Glennon from them last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Devil's Advocate:

1. Because Hack is a 2nd year QB whose future remains unknown.  And no amount of bitter angry ex-Coaches or pissed off Defensive players will make (or break) Hack.  Hack himself holds his future in his hands.  Dear Lord, how about we let Hack have a 2nd year (of a 4 year contract) before we write him off completely.  He may be a total bust, but it's far too early to make that determination, and a Manish source-less article needs taken for what it is.

2. Because they didn't feel garbage time snaps in the last game of a lost season behind a make-shift O-line was a good way to introduce the kid to the NFL.  we may disagree, but their point does have some merit.  I'd have played him, but I respect their superior knowledge of both the kid, and what he would gain/not gain from starting.

Woody is almost assuredly vastly smarter than you.  Or me.  Or 95% of this forum.  Have no doubt about it, and if you do, ask yourself which of the two, you or him, owns an NFL team, makes hundreds of millions off that team, and will soon be a freaking Ambassador.  Psst....it's not you.  

I wish I was smart enough to inherit a few billion dollars from a business my great-grandfather built.

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

1) Why isn't Macc being held accountable AT ALL for using a second round pick on him, especially when so many better players were drafted after him? And

2) Okay, he hasn't shown a lot of development in practice but there still hasn't been a rational explanation given for why you wouldn't give Hack ANY game time snaps during a lost year, especially when you used a second round pick on him. 

Is Woody too stupid to even realize this? 

YES WOODY IS TOO STUPID TO REALIZE ANYTHING INVOLVING HIS MULTI BILLION DOLLAR NFL TEAM.

Archived