Per Manish, but worth a thread on Hackenberg's future

Matt39

12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I truly hope your right that Mannish has made up another story.

The alternative is that one of Hack's coaches, his mentor, has thrown a 21 YO kid under the bus.    That's disturbing  

If you're any employee of the Jets, why on earth would you risk everything to say something like this to a member of the media? Especially Manish. If there's one thing we known this regime does well, it's keeping news close to the hip. Loose lips days are over.

Time after time this guy has proven he is worthless. He clearly has an axe to grind, especially since he got cozy with someone in Rex's crew and that was snatched away from him. Now he gets nothing from them, so he says a quote like this to himself and quotes it, because after all, he's a "Jets" source.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Here is the link about the former Bears scout that thought Hack totally sucked.

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/08/22/former-nfl-director-of-college-scouting-says-jets-know-hackenberg-cant-play/

The scout who helped draft Rex Grossman in the first, couldn't find anything remotely close to a franchise QB in his time in Chicago, and is now stuck writing for Bleacher Report after helping the eagles have two HORRENDOUS drafts as a consult, is who we're leaning on now. Y'know, instead of just waiting and seeing since every QB in this draft sucks anyway and we haven't even seen the kid since August. All this nonsense because Manish Mehta, a well known bullsh*t artist, made his yearly "anonymous source" article.

Neato.

3 hours ago, Freemanm said:

1) Why isn't Macc being held accountable AT ALL for using a second round pick on him, especially when so many better players were drafted after him? And

2) Okay, he hasn't shown a lot of development in practice but there still hasn't been a rational explanation given for why you wouldn't give Hack ANY game time snaps during a lost year, especially when you used a second round pick on him. 

Is Woody too stupid to even realize this? 

was always supposed to be a clipboard year for Hack. When our season looked grim why throw the kid to the wolves when we have no offensive line left and let him take big hits physically and mentally when there is nothing to gain from it?

10 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Yes, reading is fundamental, and you can't look at these reports in a vacuum.  

Anonymous Jets Coach: Christian Hackenberg “Couldn’t Hit the Ocean”

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/1/2/14144640/anonymous-jets-coach-christian-hackenberg-couldnt-hit-the-ocean

There was a separate thread about that from ESPN...this thread is about Manish throwing gasoline on the fire with?

Another anonymous source of course.  Maybe we should start a thread compiling all the anonymous Hackenberg criticisms.

3 hours ago, Freemanm said:

1) Why isn't Macc being held accountable AT ALL for using a second round pick on him, especially when so many better players were drafted after him? And

2) Okay, he hasn't shown a lot of development in practice but there still hasn't been a rational explanation given for why you wouldn't give Hack ANY game time snaps during a lost year, especially when you used a second round pick on him. 

Is Woody too stupid to even realize this? 

He is, and will be....what, you wanna fire him for making ONE bad pick?  If that was the case, no GM in the NFL would survive. 

Now, he drafts another QB that high and they never see the field, there will be a problem.

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

was always supposed to be a clipboard year for Hack. When our season looked grim why throw the kid to the wolves when we have no offensive line left and let him take big hits physically and mentally when there is nothing to gain from it?

Yeah...we gave that honor to Petty, and now everyone is already convinced he sucks.

Good times.

8 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Yeah...we gave that honor to Petty, and now everyone is already convinced he sucks.

Good times.

Petty actually had flashes that reminded me a bit of a young Favre or Romo. He may never develop into anything but i can atleast see some potential in him.

10 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

He is, and will be....what, you wanna fire him for making ONE bad pick?  If that was the case, no GM in the NFL would survive. 

Now, he drafts another QB that high and they never see the field, there will be a problem.

Maccagnan will get one 1st round QB choice and one head coach of his choice if Hack and Bowles both fail.  There isn't the same level of commitment and risk with a 2nd round QB and he didn't really "choose" Todd.  The sooner people accept that this is usually how these things go, the better off they'll be. 

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Maccagnan will get one 1st round QB choice and one head coach of his choice if Hack and Bowles both fail.  There isn't the same level of commitment and risk with a 2nd round QB and he didn't really "choose" Todd.  The sooner people accept that this is usually how these things go, the better off they'll be. 

Tell that to Idzik he drafted Geno in the second round and never got to pick a coach.

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

You make a lot of assumptions, #1 being that Woody is somehow smart because he's rich. While there's a correlation between rich people being intelligent, correlation does not imply causation. It's not a "true" if --> then statement. And there is no better example of this than Woody Johnson IV. 

I don't know where you got "bitterness" from my statement, I'm simply stating facts. 

Listen, I'm not wasting my time debating if Woody is "smart", when he rather obviously is, nor am I getting bogged down in working class hero "I could be just as good if I inherited some money" sillyness.  I get it, :JetsFans:  And no, he's not smart because he's rich, he stays rich (and gets richer by the day) because he is smart.

If it makes you feel better to think you're smarter and better than Woody, and all you're missing in an inheritance, have at it my friend.  Best of luck with that.

Me, I'm gonna go listen to Dave's Picks Vol. 20.  Enjoy your night.

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Listen, I'm not wasting my time debating if Woody is "smart", when he rather obviously is, nor am I getting bogged down in working class hero "I could be just as good if I inherited some money" sillyness.  I get it, :JetsFans:  And no, he's not smart because he's rich, he stays rich (and gets richer by the day) because he is smart.

If it makes you feel better to think you're smarter and better than Woody, and all you're missing in an inheritance, have at it my friend.  Best of luck with that.

Me, I'm gonna go listen to Dave's Picks Vol. 20.  Enjoy your night.

Smokin' China --> Rider. Enjoy.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Devil's Advocate:

1. Because Hack is a 2nd year QB whose future remains unknown.  And no amount of bitter angry ex-Coaches or pissed off Defensive players will make (or break) Hack.  Hack himself holds his future in his hands.  Dear Lord, how about we let Hack have a 2nd year (of a 4 year contract) before we write him off completely.  He may be a total bust, but it's far too early to make that determination, and a Manish source-less article needs taken for what it is.

2. Because they didn't feel garbage time snaps in the last game of a lost season behind a make-shift O-line was a good way to introduce the kid to the NFL.  we may disagree, but their point does have some merit.  I'd have played him, but I respect their superior knowledge of both the kid, and what he would gain/not gain from starting.

Woody is almost assuredly vastly smarter than you.  Or me.  Or 95% of this forum.  Have no doubt about it, and if you do, ask yourself which of the two, you or him, owns an NFL team, makes hundreds of millions off that team, and will soon be a freaking Ambassador.  Psst....it's not you.  

Yes, he's way smarter than me and most people. Woody didn't earn a penny of his money, never worked at anything more than menial jobs at Johnson and Johnson that were handed to him because, well, his family founded the company, was a C student at The University of Arizona, and has made a "living" giving money to various foundations that he has to give so that his foundation can maintain tax exempt status. I'm sure it was his credentials - and not the millions of dollars he gave to Donald Trump - that earned him the job of diplomat to the UK.

oh, and by the way, he has sucked at being the Jets owner. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. Thing is predicted.

2. Thing occurs.

3. Becomes exceedingly obvious that thing was correctly forecast.

4. Thing confirmed by multiple sources with daily access to team.

5. Jets fans: "That thing is a myth!"

6. Jets repeat thing.

"exceedingly obvious"  

LOL.  youre funny.

Getting tired of all these assumptions simply from aspects of practice in Hack's first year. If everyone remembers, after Chad Pennington started and began playing lights out in his first year Curtis Martin a HOF RB said Chad was the worst QB he had ever seen in practice, but agreed that in games he was great. That year if it wasn't for Oakland being the only team in our way to getting to the SB, Chad came close to being the 1st QB to get to a SB in the 1st season he started. Practice is not always the best barometer to how good a QB can be in live action. And for all these reports on how he didn't get on the field this year despite how bad of QB play we had, that is the Jets protecting this investment. They are remembering the history of Sanchez and Geno being ruined because they started too soon. Perhaps the QB coach who probably leaked all this criticism is trying to protect himself from the bad job he did all year by not even putting forth the best effort in getting Hack further along in the curve at least with his mechanics.

3 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Getting tired of all these assumptions simply from aspects of practice in Hack's first year. If everyone remembers, after Chad Pennington started and began playing lights out in his first year Curtis Martin a HOF RB said Chad was the worst QB he had ever seen in practice, but agreed that in games he was great. That year if it wasn't for Oakland being the only team in our way to getting to the SB, Chad came close to being the 1st QB to get to a SB starting his 1st season. Practice is not always the best barometer to how good a QB  can be in live action. And for all these reports on how he didn't get on the field this year despite how bad of QB play we had, that is the Jets protecting this investment. They are remembering the history of Sanchez and Geno being ruined because they started to soon. Perhaps the QB coach who probably leaked all this criticism is trying to protect himself from the bad job he did all year by not even putting forth the best effort in getting Hack further along in the curve at least with hist mechanics.

indeed.  Sounds like the dude is trying to save his ass from a bad rep.  

Kid's 21, he can get better.   Mac had to take QB in that draft and needs to take one every draft until we find one.  Taking a QB is not a wasted pick on this team

Name the game changer we could have taken instead of Hack in that spot.  There isn't one.   A couple of tiny linebackers went and some CB's that never saw the field.

All we hear about is Prescott in the 4th round in which he was passed over how many times multiple times by every team. Sure he looks real good, but all is being made to look good behind the best Oline in football and with the best back in Elliot. We also don't know if Prescott will maintain this level of play for the foreseeable future. He certainly has been exploited by the Giants. If teams start using that blueprint he may get figured out sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Tell that to Idzik he drafted Geno in the second round and never got to pick a coach.

Idzik was an unbelievable failure of epic proportions:

He had a massive amount of CAP space - Didn't spend it.

Possibly sabotaged an entire year for "his guy".

Had a huge amount of draft picks in a historically LOADED draft....blew just about every single one.

Rex, as much as I hate the guy, had that 8-8 year IN SPITE of what Idzik gave him.  In 2014 the wheels just completely fell off and no coach would have changed that.

John Idzik was a generational type of f*ck up.  Any...and I mean any...other human being would have been better and would have been given his own choice of Head Coach.

6 hours ago, rangerous said:

i guess manish the moron hasn't read the program.  as i understand it there was absolutely no way the jets were going to play hack this season regardless so why is this moron so surprised?  he shouldn't be.  and as far as i'm concerned more than an anonymous jets source needs to say something about hack for it to be believed.  i don't think mac is such a bad talent evaluator that he would've selected hack without some idea about the guy's talent.

If they had any amount of trust in Hack, he would've started against Bills. At this point, Hack is simply a hope now. Like, I 'hope' I get to date Scarlett Johansson. It most likely won't happen but people win the lottery every day. 

8 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Speaking to the New York Daily News, a Jets source says second-round rookie Christian Hackenberg will "never make it."

"Never," the source emphasized. Hackenberg was a topic of discussion on Thursday after owner Woody Johnson called him a "prospect." Reporter Manish Mehta says he recently asked an anonymous Jets starter if Hackenberg was worth a second-round pick and received a curt "no" in reply. The fact that Hackenberg couldn't get on the field in a lost year where Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith and Bryce Petty were all either injured or ineffective — usually at the same time — says all there is to know about Hack's NFL future.

I don't care about the whole Hackenberg thing, he probably sucks, but laughed out loud at "reporter" Manish Mehta. That guy stinks.

No idea what Hackenberg will or wont be yet, no one knows. But points to remember:

1. He's 21

2. Manish + Anonymous "source" = fantasy land "journalism"

3. He hasn't even played a down yet.

4. He hasn't even had an off seaon as a pro to work on his mechanics which clearly are an issue.

5: He hasn't even been giving a new coordinator yet, so whatever happened last year is almost irrelevant now.

6. They said the same thing about Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young, and Tony Romo for 3-4 years. 

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Devil's Advocate:

1. Because Hack is a 2nd year QB whose future remains unknown.  And no amount of bitter angry ex-Coaches or pissed off Defensive players will make (or break) Hack.  Hack himself holds his future in his hands.  Dear Lord, how about we let Hack have a 2nd year (of a 4 year contract) before we write him off completely.  He may be a total bust, but it's far too early to make that determination, and a Manish source-less article needs taken for what it is.

2. Because they didn't feel garbage time snaps in the last game of a lost season behind a make-shift O-line was a good way to introduce the kid to the NFL.  we may disagree, but their point does have some merit.  I'd have played him, but I respect their superior knowledge of both the kid, and what he would gain/not gain from starting.

Woody is almost assuredly vastly smarter than you.  Or me.  Or 95% of this forum.  Have no doubt about it, and if you do, ask yourself which of the two, you or him, owns an NFL team, makes hundreds of millions off that team, and will soon be a freaking Ambassador.  Psst....it's not you.  

right.  and more to the point is criticism if the jets select a qb this draft.  so what?  does that mean they shouldn't have selected hack?  the point is for the past two drafts the jets have selected qb's with fairly high picks.  a 4th rounder is not a throwaway pick and neither is a second.  not to mention the pick that was essentially thrown away on geno.  any of these fans think the jets shouldn't be trying to get a qb in the draft? crickets.

i'm with just about everyone on the playing part but the jets did have a plan and nobody could have predicted that things would've turned out the way they did.

4 hours ago, j4jets said:

If they had any amount of trust in Hack, he would've started against Bills. At this point, Hack is simply a hope now. Like, I 'hope' I get to date Scarlett Johansson. It most likely won't happen but people win the lottery every day. 

OMG lol... she is one of my fav's of this generation. I think the movie she played in with ObiOne where they were clones of rich humans when they got sick to have extra body parts.... lmao... all I can say is WOW.

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

If we're going to stink, why sign some JAG "Hold the Fort" veteran?  Why not play Petty & Hack, draft another QB prospect in the late rounds, and go into 2017 with those three?

What is gained via a Fitz-a-like?

And if we draft a #1 QB in 2018, aren't we better off knowing exactly who Petty & Hack are by having played them all 2017, rather than sitting them behind "Insert JAG Veteran Here"?

From a fan's perspective I totally agree with you.  Unfortunately, the HC and GM are firmly on the hot seat and need to show improvement otherwise we head into '18 with a new regime.  

11 hours ago, k-met57 said:

If hack never becomes a start worthy NFL QB, even a high level backup...Mac should get fired. When you go against the grain, you better be the smartest guy in the room.

Missing on the #1 overall pick is a fireable offense.   Missing on a 2nd rd pick is just part of doing business.   if anything, I give Macc credit for at least understanding that the key to success is finding a QB through the draft.   If it turns out not to be Hack, I hope Macc (unlike Idzik) has the balls to admit his mistake and keep drafting.   

Idzik's problem was settling on Geno in lieu of taking Carr, Bridgewater, or Garrapolo.   Missing on a 2nd rd pick isn't fireable as long as the draft in aggregate was a success.   

11 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

This sh*t has to stop. A so- called starter said this. Why do players on this team never get reprimanded for this sort of stuff? 

Probably someone on the defensive line. They seemed to have an aversion of being around qb's this season.

I assume that this player was an all pro, and has nothing to worry about his own game, as to where he can comment on others. Purely low class.

9 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

It's a Manish source, which has proven out to be one of two things in the past 1.) Manish making sh*t up, or 2.) someone jilted by the organization (Rex Ryan) feeding him nonsense.

The Pats beat writers up here know Manish personally and joke during their weekly spots (when the Jets come up) about how he's a pro at trolling, instigating conflict and citing "sources". In other words, they acknowledge he's a fraud.

Manish has been on the Philly local station (WIP), because he is a Philly guy and admitted Eagles fan (funny a "journalist" can admit this), and guffaws with the hosts about his Jet beat. 

Archived