Sam Darnold,USC QB

johnnyjet

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

We also don't need to have the first pick in the draft either... Let's hope Macc is smart enough to work around the draft this coming year to maybe stockpile a few picks in the 2018 draft to move up if necessary.

Nobody is moving off a #1 pick with a REAL Franchise QB there.  They take him or get basically 3 #1 picks or the equivalent.  

We need to be the worst team in football with the worst record.  

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

That's not happening.

As of right now, I think we are the worst roster and staff in the NFL.  Maybe SF but we are right there.

What does the team currently have or can get that will make this not true?

3 hours ago, Pcola said:

Nobody is moving off a #1 pick with a REAL Franchise QB there.  They take him or get basically 3 #1 picks or the equivalent.  

I'd trade anything next year to get Darnold, 5 1st round picks, we don't need Pryor, Lee, Williams, Milner, and Sheldon if we have a franchise QB.  

3 hours ago, Pcola said:

As of right now, I think we are the worst roster and staff in the NFL.  Maybe SF but we are right there.

What does the team currently have or can get that will make this not true?

We won 5 games playing as miserable as we possibly could have. 

45 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I'd trade anything next year to get Darnold, 5 1st round picks, we don't need Pryor, Lee, Williams, Milner, and Sheldon if we have a franchise QB.  

You make a great point.  Just not sure any team would still do it.  Indy wasn't taking offers when Luck came out.  Same for TB or Ten.  

We will be more of a rebuilding team next year than we were the last season.  Actually for quite some time.  The last thing we need to do is cut all our vets just to turn around and bring in past their prime, over paid vets just to be competitive.  There are plenty of teams that go year after year with no hope of the playoffs.

Hopefully Woody has given Macc and Bowlesthe ok to go through the paid of a true rebuilding next year.  Cause if he didn't, they are going to do everything they can to win games.

22 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

How long would we have to suck to get him

Do we ever want to draft another Trojan? 

Just things to ponder until the pats win another Lombardi next month.  Ugh.  

A few more years with Bowles and we'll have anybody we want. Next year we will have half the wins we got this year. 

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Scouting is very simple, the NFL pays way too much on this.

- Never draft a USC QB.

- Always draft Penn state linebackers

- Never draft Wisconsin RBs'

-  Always draft Boston College olineman

-  Never draft corners from Alabama

- Always draft corners from FSU or Florida

- Never draft WR's from FSU or Florida

- Always draft pass rushers from small schools

- Sometimes draft QBs from Cal

- Always draft Polynesian olineman and nose tackles.

- Never draft linebackers from Ohio state

- Always draft centers from Ohio State.

Any and all exceptions to these rules will be ignored.

Can't like this enough.

19 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Irony of ironies will be going 1-15 in '2017 only to watch Darnold pull a Peyton Manning and go back to school rather than play for the Jets.   

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Happened w/ Peyton Manning twice back in the mid 90's.  He stayed in school after both his Soph and Jr seasons (both years we had the #1 overall pick).

It is amazing how many different wrong stories are floated by Jets fans over Manning and the Jets.

16 hours ago, Pcola said:

So you have a crystal ball now ?  

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

So you have a crystal ball now ?  

Well, if you watched Darnold at all this year, or at least against Wash and PSU, he has only started one season yet he was incredible.  

Unlike Watson, he is in a Pro system and based on precedent set but dozens of QBs before them, Darnold  will transition quicker with a higher success rate.

If he stays healthy he'll have two full seasons of intense experience unlike Trubisky who is a one year starter against weaker comp.

He is a bigger than the QBs than the guys that were drafted recently.

Now gauging that Indy wasnt taking offers when they took Luck.  TB and Ten clearly tanked and refused to trade down for Winston and Mariota.  Last year Phi and LAR gave up what to amounts to 3 #1 picks to draft Goff and Wentz.  Neither are anywhere near Darnold's potential.  

Cle moved down and damn near went winless.  

This year's draft offers two guys that are bigger question marks to the guys taken 1&2 last year.

So in conclusion, our roster is far away from being a playoff team.  So we can muster through several seasons winning enough games to keep missing out on the game changing QBs and nowhere near enough games to be more than average or worse.

And with that, we have to keep drafting long shots with very little chance of success.  And we haven't had a front office that could identify a franchise QB going back to the mid-sixties.

We need a "no brainer."

Manning didn't redshirt so he only went back, screwing us, once.

The story was Archie wanted a guarantee from Tuna that he wouldn't trade the pick and BP said no so Peyton went back his senior year.

We know the Mannings are fickle about where they end up from the Charger fiasco later on.    

36 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The story was Archie wanted a guarantee from Tuna that he wouldn't trade the pick and BP said no so Peyton went back his senior year.

We know the Mannings are fickle about where they end up from the Charger fiasco later on.    

Tuna didn't want to invest the time to develop a rookie QB.  Leon Hess wanted to win so Parcells did what he could to win immediately and had no interest in staying long term.

This same philosophy has hurt us ever since.  Ever since 2007, we have been thinking present and looking for the long term.  Too many short term fixes.

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

In what way was what I said incorrect?

One draft, not two.

And Manning stayed in school because Parcells couldn't guarantee that he would pick him.  Not the SOJFs rewrite into he stayed in school so he wouldn't be a Jet. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Exactly.  There was a lot of noise that the Saints would go all out to trade for Peyton and Archie was dead set against it after his time with the Saints. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

One draft, not two.

And Manning stayed in school because Parcells couldn't guarantee that he would pick him.  Not the SOJFs rewrite into he stayed in school so he wouldn't be a Jet. 

What does "one draft, not two" mean?  We had the #1 overall pick 2 consecutive years.  Do you disagree w/ that? 

As for Peyton staying in Tennessee after his Jr season, I will admit that I'm not certain what the deal was there.  Then again, neither are you.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What does "one draft, not two" mean?  We had the #1 overall pick 2 consecutive years.  Do you disagree w/ that? 

As for Peyton staying in Tennessee after his Jr season, I will admit that I'm not certain what the deal was there.  Then again, neither are you.

He didn't decide twice to stay in school.  He turned the opportunity to come into the draft once. 

The deal with Tenn is well documented 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He didn't decide twice to stay in school.  He turned the opportunity to come into the draft once. 

The deal with Tenn is well documented 

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1997-03-06/sports/1997065022_1_new-york-jets-bill-parcells-1997-nfl-draft

"I had been pretty intent on staying until I found out that Bill Parcells would be the coach of the New York Jets. That really shook things up a little bit because I have a lot of respect for him," Manning said.

But Parcells apparently didn't promise to draft him instead of trading him for a king's ransom of draft picks.

Manning said: "There were no guarantees as to where I was going to go in the draft this year. We really didn't have those types of talks."

Without a guarantee, Manning decided to stay in school and take his chances on going to the worst team in next year's draft.

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1997-03-06/sports/1997065022_1_new-york-jets-bill-parcells-1997-nfl-draft

"I had been pretty intent on staying until I found out that Bill Parcells would be the coach of the New York Jets. That really shook things up a little bit because I have a lot of respect for him," Manning said.

But Parcells apparently didn't promise to draft him instead of trading him for a king's ransom of draft picks.

Manning said: "There were no guarantees as to where I was going to go in the draft this year. We really didn't have those types of talks."

Without a guarantee, Manning decided to stay in school and take his chances on going to the worst team in next year's draft.

Unfortunately for the Jets long term future, Parcells was put in place to be a short term stop gap at a quick SB run .Leon Hess knew that he had little time left and wanted to shoot the works in order to reach that ideal. Manning did not represent that ideal of a short term big win. 

The Parcels Jets were built to try and get that quick win. There was no plan once Hess died, and that has seemingly placed the Jets stuck in neutral for some period of time.

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

It's ok we got James Farrior!

5 minutes ago, thadude said:

It's ok we got James Farrior!

The Jets got James Farrior and other draft picks to be accurate. 

James Farrior had a very, very solid career, although much of it was not with the Jets. That is not Farrior's fault, but more so how the Jets used him. He proved worthy of a first round pick.

We spent a second rounder on Hack.  He should start all 16 games next year.  If he cant then the pick was an utter disaster. 

If he succeeds, great we have a qb.  If he bombs then great we get the number one pick and take Darnold.

This should be the only plan talked about for 2017.  There is no other option.

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We spent a second rounder on Hack.  He should start all 16 games next year.  If he cant then the pick was an utter disaster. 

If he succeeds, great we have a qb.  If he bombs then great we get the number one pick and take Darnold.

I'm actually all for that.  Jets go 0-16 with Hack starting, bottom out, and draft Darnold.

Luck, Winston and Darnold are going to be the top 3 QB's in the NFL in the 2020's decade

20 hours ago, Pcola said:

Depends who has the first pick. If teams at the top like the Browns and Niners take a qb at the top of the draft this year their still so many holes on those teams that their gonnna be awful again next year. So chances are slim to none they take another qb the following year then. 

Archived