Sam Darnold,USC QB

johnnyjet

27 minutes ago, AdrianMurrel said:

Gm and coach are on the hot seat there's not gonna tank because they can't afford to.

Their gonna sign veteran fa's to try to win now sign a veteran qb and we'll win around 6 or 7 games 

Which is the definition of half assed Jets football.The Jets will not be a playoff team in 2017. Let it go, tear it down lose those 14 or 15 games and build it back form there. Winning 5-7 games is pointless. But that's what will happen. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, thadude said:

I'm actually all for that.  Jets go 0-16 with Hack starting, bottom out, and draft Darnold.

Luck, Winston and Darnold are going to be the top 3 QB's in the NFL in the 2020's decade

If your the owner, there is no other option.  Your GM took a qb in the 2nd rnd last year.  Thats a premium pick.  He sat and learned for a year and there is no one else on the roster in front of him.

He gets all 16 games next year.  If he cant get on the field, the gm should be fired for missing so badly.

If hack shows promise, great you ride w/ him.  If hes a hot turd, you take Darnold w/ the first pick.

The situation is set up so perfectly for us. Only an idiot could screw this up.

25 minutes ago, AdrianMurrel said:

Depends who has the first pick. If teams at the top like the Browns and Niners take a qb at the top of the draft this year their still so many holes on those teams that their gonnna be awful again next year. So chances are slim to none they take another qb the following year then. 

Probably correct.  So you are ok giving up approximately three drafts worth of picks because we won a couple of useless games?  That's the difference between winning 0 or 1 game and winning 3,4, or 5.  Both seasons are terrible but dealing with a one win season is easier to deal with knowing that there's a great chance to get our QB. 

The other alternative is just like this off-season.  We have a choice between a project QB that will probably not make it or the BAP defensive player.  Rinse and repeat.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Unfortunately for the Jets long term future, Parcells was put in place to be a short term stop gap at a quick SB run .Leon Hess knew that he had little time left and wanted to shoot the works in order to reach that ideal. Manning did not represent that ideal of a short term big win. 

The Parcels Jets were built to try and get that quick win. There was no plan once Hess died, and that has seemingly placed the Jets stuck in neutral for some period of time.

Yeah and it's funny that Manning took the 99 Colts to a 13-3 record, imagine what he would have done here with the most talented roster I over saw the Jets have minus the injured QB, Parcells like Bowles is a stupid **** when it comes to young QB's.

30 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Which is the definition of half assed Jets football.The Jets will not be a playoff team in 2017. Let it go, tear it down lose those 14 or 15 games and build it back form there. Winning 5-7 games is pointless. But that's what will happen. 

I agree with you 100% but I don't think that's gonna happen when the gm and coach are fighting to save their jobs next year.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We spent a second rounder on Hack.  He should start all 16 games next year.  If he cant then the pick was an utter disaster. 

If he succeeds, great we have a qb.  If he bombs then great we get the number one pick and take Darnold.

This should be the only plan talked about for 2017.  There is no other option.

I want petty,but I can't say I hate this idea 

sad

18 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Probably correct.  So you are ok giving up approximately three drafts worth of picks because we won a couple of useless games?  That's the difference between winning 0 or 1 game and winning 3,4, or 5.  Both seasons are terrible but dealing with a one win season is easier to deal with knowing that there's a great chance to get our QB. 

The other alternative is just like this off-season.  We have a choice between a project QB that will probably not make it or the BAP defensive player.  Rinse and repeat.

No I'm with you I want to destroy and rebuild and give us the best chance possible to get that franchise qb we've coveted forever.

If we had a new regime coming in there would be a possibility of that but when you have a coach and gm who are gonna feel they need to win next year to save their jobs I doubt that's the direction they go in. Their gonna make win now moves more then likely.

34 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah and it's funny that Manning took the 99 Colts to a 13-3 record, imagine what he would have done here with the most talented roster I over saw the Jets have minus the injured QB, Parcells like Bowles is a stupid **** when it comes to young QB's.

Parcells was not going to go and try and win the SB in a couple of years with a rookie qb. Just the way he operated.

Hindsight, of course, says that it was short sighted. Hindsight is easy, also. I don't remember many, in any, Jet fans clamoring for Parcels to take Manning with that first pick, when they had the chance.

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Parcells was not going to go and try and win the SB in a couple of years with a rookie qb. Just the way he operated.

Hindsight, of course, says that it was short sighted. Hindsight is easy, also. I don't remember many, in any, Jet fans clamoring for Parcels to take Manning with that first pick, when they had the chance.

Huh?  We didn't have the chance.  I'm sure if we actually did have the chance there would've been plenty pushing for Peyton (and some undoubtedly for Leaf).

You are correct though that Parcells seemed to have a thing against rookies.  I think because he believed in mistake-free football (getting as close as possible to it) and rookies have a learning curve.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We spent a second rounder on Hack.  He should start all 16 games next year.  If he cant then the pick was an utter disaster. 

If he succeeds, great we have a qb.  If he bombs then great we get the number one pick and take Darnold.

This should be the only plan talked about for 2017.  There is no other option.

I'm 100% fine w/ this move but I feel almost certain the Jets will bring in someone to be the starter next year (in other words, not Hack/Petty).  Would love to see if Hack could hack it and, if not, draft Darnold. 

3 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Not even remotely close to true

Ok.  What makes my statement false?  Our 2017 OL looks like a disaster.  Our secondary?  I don't even need to bring up QB.  To say our HC and FO are below average might even be a stretch.

3 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Ok.  What makes my statement false?  Our 2017 OL looks like a disaster.  Our secondary?  I don't even need to bring up QB.  To say our HC and FO are below average might even be a stretch.

The Cleveland Browns' roster.

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm 100% fine w/ this move but I feel almost certain the Jets will bring in someone to be the starter next year (in other words, not Hack/Petty).  Would love to see if Hack could hack it and, if not, draft Darnold. 

If this is the case then Mac needs to be fired ASAP.  If the 2 qbs on the roster that he drafted cannot start for this team, then its obvious he doesnt know what hes doing and he needs to go.

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If this is the case then Mac needs to be fired ASAP.  If the 2 qbs on the roster that he drafted cannot start for this team, then its obvious he doesnt know what hes doing and he needs to go.

He took 4th and 2nd round QBs.  He's likely not going to get fired over this even if neither pans out.  If he took a QB with a top 5 overall pick who turned into a bust, that would be an entirely different story.

35 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Cleveland Browns' roster.

Cleveland played better than we did in December.  And they have a ton of picks this draft and a ton of cap space.

And they are a year ahead of their rebuild as we are.  

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Huh?  We didn't have the chance.  I'm sure if we actually did have the chance there would've been plenty pushing for Peyton (and some undoubtedly for Leaf).

You are correct though that Parcells seemed to have a thing against rookies.  I think because he believed in mistake-free football (getting as close as possible to it) and rookies have a learning curve.

They had the chance, in the sense the same way we are talking about draft projectable right now. Parcels (according to some reports) could have assured Archie and Peyton that if he declared, they would have picked him. According to those reports, Peyton would have then declared. That is a chance in my mind.

2 hours ago, Pcola said:

Cleveland played better than we did in December.  And they have a ton of picks this draft and a ton of cap space.

And they are a year ahead of their rebuild as we are.  

Browns are an example why draft picks don't matter. When the Browns have a better record then the jets come talk to me

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Browns are an example why draft picks don't matter. When the Browns have a better record then the jets come talk to me

Since we both annually sit out the playoffs  does it matter if we win a couple of games more than them?

We'll be lucky to beat them next season. 

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

If you have the right guys making the picks then yes it doesn matter.

You also need an infastructure in place for players to thrive in.  Cleveland has had neither the last 15 years.  

But if you the believe the jets have the right guy making the picks and the right organizational structure and coach in place, then having a few years with a high draft pick would be great fro this team.

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

Since we both annually sit out the playoffs  does it matter if we win a couple of games more than them?

We'll be lucky to beat them next season. 

I hear this all the time and last two seasons we beat that trash team. We won 5 they won 1. We won 10 the year before they won 3. We are light years ahead of them

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I hear this all the time and last two seasons we beat that trash team. We won 5 they won 1. We won 10 the year before they won 3. We are light years ahead of them

You could also say they have bottomed out and we are still descending.  They have a FO and CS that they are confident with and in about9 months we'll all be speculating on our next GM/HC combo.

19 minutes ago, Pcola said:

You could also say they have bottomed out and we are still descending.  They have a FO and CS that they are confident with and in about9 months we'll all be speculating on our next GM/HC combo.

If they are confident with a crew that led them to 1-15 god bless em

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1997-03-06/sports/1997065022_1_new-york-jets-bill-parcells-1997-nfl-draft

"I had been pretty intent on staying until I found out that Bill Parcells would be the coach of the New York Jets. That really shook things up a little bit because I have a lot of respect for him," Manning said.

But Parcells apparently didn't promise to draft him instead of trading him for a king's ransom of draft picks.

Manning said: "There were no guarantees as to where I was going to go in the draft this year. We really didn't have those types of talks."

Without a guarantee, Manning decided to stay in school and take his chances on going to the worst team in next year's draft.

What I said.  Good find 

7 hours ago, Pcola said:

Everything.

23 hours ago, Pcola said:

Tuna didn't want to invest the time to develop a rookie QB.  Leon Hess wanted to win so Parcells did what he could to win immediately and had no interest in staying long term.

This same philosophy has hurt us ever since.  Ever since 2007, we have been thinking present and looking for the long term.  Too many short term fixes.

And winning meaningless games in December instead of tanking like normal teams. No, not talking about this yr in particular. 

• 1 month later...

I'd bet a ham sammich the Browns have a better record than the Jets next year. As per Vegas we are bottom 3 as of now.  Suck for Sam n 17 is my new motto. 

Start hack.....let's see what he's got.  1-15. Here we come.  I just hope Buffalo doesn't go 0-16 then. 

13 hours ago, Hungarian Howitzer said:

With Jets luck we will draft him and he will refuse to play for us. 

Can totally see this happening 

Jets finally do a great tank job, go 0-16 and Darnold decides to play his senior year

On 1/5/2017 at 10:20 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Oh my God, we've been over and over this for days. Sam Darnold is the promised one. He will lead us to greatness. He is a redshirt Freshman and will be draft eligible in 2018. He is an amazing prospect who in one night made me a believer, and the more I research him and his season, the more I believe.

We must go 1-15 at BEST next year, we need to trot out Hackenpetty to not be able to hit the ocean, but have them do it from behind an impregnable wall of an OLine we build up over the next 6-8 months. 

Darnold. He is the way, the truth, and the light.

It bears repeating again and again.

• 1 year later...

Archived