My Samsung 55" LED TV is on its way out......

joewilly12

A small horizontal white/gray line appeared tonight near the top left hand corner of the screen it seems to be creeping across......

Warranty expired wife says we purchased it in 2006.  Leaning towards another Samsung bigger MAYBE 65" OR 70"  4K .........Been looking at CostCo 

Suggestions......

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

What can you watch in it though?

Im not sure Max I would have to check with my cable provider. It seems everything is 4K though.

If only those lines would have showed up a few weeks ago during a Jets game i would have had an excuse besides the Jets to put an axe through the screen. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Im not sure Max I would have to check with my cable provider. It seems everything is 4K though.

If only those lines would have showed up a few weeks ago during a Jets game i would have had an excuse besides the Jets to put an axe through the screen. 

I have Xfinity, they haven't even announced when they will offer 4K yet. No matter what platform you are on there doesn't seem to be a ton of programming for it yet.

19 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I have Xfinity, they haven't even announced when they will offer 4K yet. No matter what platform you are on there doesn't seem to be a ton of programming for it yet.

The only one offering anything currently is DirecTV on 1 channel.  It's coming though.  4K blu ray players are selling at a much faster rate than when original blu players came out.  Within 2 years you should see a number of channels but right now you can get incredible content with the right tv and 4K blu ray player.

1 hour ago, Reynolds1029 said:

4k is over rated for a TV. Limited content and the human eye cant tell the difference between 1080p and 4k past 3ft. If I were you I would save money and get something else for the money you save on getting a 1080p.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That 3 feet might be for a small screen..  a 75 inch screen and you got a good 10 feet.  1080p's are getting phased out and it doesn't make sense to buy something that is already considered outdated.

That 3 feet might be for a small screen..  a 75 inch screen and you got a good 10 feet.  1080p's are getting phased out and it doesn't make sense to buy something that is already considered outdated.

This is true that they are and its why you can get such a great deal on the 1080p TVs. At my job we have TVs and secretly we say that the video feed thats playing is being played at 4K but really its 1080p because they are too cheap to get new HDMI Amplifiers and true 4K Blu Ray players. Everybody gets amazed at the clarity blah blah blah even though its exactly the same as the 1080p one in the next isle over.

To put it to the true test we have vendors that come in from Samsung. One of their 4K 65" TVs that they hooked up to their own true 4K video feed was on clearance and we were trying to sell the floor model. So I took the oppurtunity to do a side by side test with the 1080p tv and the Samsung 4K with the true feed and a 4K TV hooked up to the feed we used for our non vendor hooked up 4K TVs running on that 1080p feed as well.

The results? Up close the true 4K TV was defenately better the image quality was excellent. As I backed up about 6-10 feet it started to look identical to eachother. To me it really wasen't work the extra few hundred bucks at the time.

If you can get the same exact quality TV you are looking for in 4K for the same price as the 1080p of course get it by all means. But paying extra for 4K to me seems just not smart at the moment. Better to buy a 1080p TV at a great price vs spending the extra dough for something nearly identical.

6 hours ago, Reynolds1029 said:

This is true that they are and its why you can get such a great deal on the 1080p TVs. At my job we have TVs and secretly we say that the video feed thats playing is being played at 4K but really its 1080p because they are too cheap to get new HDMI Amplifiers and true 4K Blu Ray players. Everybody gets amazed at the clarity blah blah blah even though its exactly the same as the 1080p one in the next isle over.

To put it to the true test we have vendors that come in from Samsung. One of their 4K 65" TVs that they hooked up to their own true 4K video feed was on clearance and we were trying to sell the floor model. So I took the oppurtunity to do a side by side test with the 1080p tv and the Samsung 4K with the true feed and a 4K TV hooked up to the feed we used for our non vendor hooked up 4K TVs running on that 1080p feed as well.

The results? Up close the true 4K TV was defenately better the image quality was excellent. As I backed up about 6-10 feet it started to look identical to eachother. To me it really wasen't work the extra few hundred bucks at the time.

If you can get the same exact quality TV you are looking for in 4K for the same price as the 1080p of course get it by all means. But paying extra for 4K to me seems just not smart at the moment. Better to buy a 1080p TV at a great price vs spending the extra dough for something nearly identical.

Valid points but a lot of times people buy low end 4K tv's expecting miracles.

Even more important than 4K is buying a TV capable of HDR.  Those usually cost a bit more but give the type of picture enhancement people expect when getting a 4k tv.

12 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

A small horizontal white/gray line appeared tonight near the top left hand corner of the screen it seems to be creeping across......

Warranty expired wife says we purchased it in 2006.  Leaning towards another Samsung bigger MAYBE 65" OR 70"  4K .........Been looking at CostCo 

Suggestions......

Costco

Every year I do a give away at my office, at least a 65 inch or better.   Every year Costco has the best prices on good TVs.  You can buy a cheaper 65 inch somewhere, but it'll be crap.   4K, smart TV, it's awesome, get it at Costco.  If it goes on sale a week later, just go to customer service, they will refund  you the difference.  You won't even need the receipt, they have it on record.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

So what's the absolute most you're willing to spend?

$2500 

31 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Costco

Every year I do a give away at my office, at least a 65 inch or better.   Every year Costco has the best prices on good TVs.  You can buy a cheaper 65 inch somewhere, but it'll be crap.   4K, smart TV, it's awesome, get it at Costco.  If it goes on sale a week later, just go to customer service, they will refund  you the difference.  You won't even need the receipt, they have it on record.

Agree they have some great prices and their warranty program is the best. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

$2500 

you can get something big time with that....  if you watch a lot of movies the OLED B6 is the choice.. In fact the OLED B6 is the best all around TV you can get at your price point.  google the reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01CDF9UTQ/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1483721111&sr=8-1&keywords=oled+b6&condition=used

http://www.costco.com/Vizio-65"-Class-(64.5"-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-Home-Theater-Display-P65-C1.product.100321152.html

20 minutes ago, Pac said:

you can get something big time with that....  if you watch a lot of movies the OLED B6 is the choice.. In fact the OLED B6 is the best all around TV you can get at your price point.  google the reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01CDF9UTQ/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1483721111&sr=8-1&keywords=oled+b6&condition=used

http://www.costco.com/Vizio-65"-Class-(64.5"-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-Home-Theater-Display-P65-C1.product.100321152.html

I like Samsung products. The Vizio's are next on my list. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I like Samsung products. The Vizio's are next on my list. 

Samsungs are nice but they don't hold a candle to that OLED..  and they don't support Dolby Vision..  I know that may mean nothing to you but it's sort of a big deal.

I mean if you just want something decent:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65KS9000-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01C5TFNN2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1483723562&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+4k+9000

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Samsungs are nice but they don't hold a candle to that OLED..  and they don't support Dolby Vision..  I know that may mean nothing to you but it's sort of a big deal.

I mean if you just want something decent:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65KS9000-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01C5TFNN2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1483723562&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+4k+9000

I believe you and appreciate the input. Buying a TV isn't easy anymore. 

If I were you I'd buy the Vizio P65 which can handle both HDR10 and Dolby Vision and use the extra $500 to buy a 4k blu ray player.  Again..  make sure you buy one that handles Dolby Vision..  currently only OPPO and the upcoming LG can.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

I believe you and appreciate the input. Buying a TV isn't easy anymore. 

No problem...  for the record I'm a TV and Home Theater snob..  I'm showing you top of the line stuff.. any one of the TVs I've linked look fantastic so you can't really make a mistake between them.

Reason I'm saying OLED and Vizio here is because they both support DV.  It's similar to when Blu Ray and HD Video came out and battled..  if you owned an HD Video player you were out of luck when Blu Ray won.  That's why it's smart to get something that can handle both.

15 minutes ago, Pac said:

No problem...  for the record I'm a TV and Home Theater snob..  I'm showing you top of the line stuff.. any one of the TVs I've linked look fantastic so you can't really make a mistake between them.

Reason I'm saying OLED and Vizio here is because they both support DV.  It's similar to when Blu Ray and HD Video came out and battled..  if you owned an HD Video player you were out of luck when Blu Ray won.  That's why it's smart to get something that can handle both.

240 motion rate is best for watching sports correct? Thanks 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

240 motion rate is best for watching sports correct? Thanks 

Yes but it's kind of overblown...  as long as you have something 120 of higher you should be cool.  

for the record here's a review on that OLED calling it the best they've ever reviewed.  

https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-oledb6p-series/

If you google best tv of 16' I'd guess 90% or more of what you find will say LG Oleds.

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

Yes but it's kind of overblown...  as long as you have something 120 of higher you should be cool.  

for the record here's a review on that OLED calling it the best they've ever reviewed.  

https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-oledb6p-series/

If you google best tv of 16' I'd guess 90% or more of what you find will say LG Oleds.

They are nice but pricey. 

5 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

First let me apologize for being old and all....

But this entire thread could just as well have been written in Chinese and made exactly the same amount of sense

Buying a TV can be very difficult with todays technology,back in the day it was only a choice of manufacturers and size all tube TV's.

Archived