My Samsung 55" LED TV is on its way out......

joewilly12

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Wife and daughter went to CostCo they have a 70" Samsung 4k HD Ultra for $1349.00 

It's decent but it's Samsungs lower tier of TV.  It doesn't support wide color gamut.

If you're just going to watch regular TV and sports it's good enough.

If you want to get  a 4K Blu Ray player and watch movies on it you'll be doing yourself an injustice.  This is a boring article if you're not into this kind of thing but this explains it:

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-hdr-for-tvs-and-why-should-you-care/

If you want to keep it under 2 G's and want 70 inches check this out:

http://www.costco.com/Vizio-70"-Class-(69.5"-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-Home-Theater-Display-M70-D3.product.100300989.html

https://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m-series-2016/review/

or if 65 inches is fine and you want a tv that is Vizios best then this is it:

http://www.costco.com/Vizio-65"-Class-(64.5"-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-Home-Theater-Display-P65-C1.product.100321152.html

https://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-p-series-review-2016/

1 hour ago, InstantClassic said:

Why did someone neg rep joe Willy in every post? Literally nothing else better to do?

My experience has been that Sony is the best. Just my opinion.

@Pac what is Dolby Vision??

4K means more pixels on the TV which translates to a clearer picture IF you get a big enough screen or sit close enough to the TV.

Wide Color Gamut means the TV is capable of producing life like colors.

HDR is "High Dynamic Range".  The easy explanation is it makes colors more vibrant and blacks darker hence making a great picture.

Currently the best TV's have 2 types (soon to be more) of formats that utilize all these components.  HDR10 and Dolby Vision...  Think of it like VHS vs Betamax or HD Video vs Blu Ray...  Both formats make for incredible pictures but many think Dolby Vision is superior.

Up until this year only LG and Vizio had TV's that could do both HDR10 and Dolby Vision..

This year Sony joined the 2 which is pretty huge.  Currently the only top manufacturer refusing to include Dolby Vision is Samsung.

The reason this is a big deal is because if one of these formats win (like VHS and Blu Ray did) you could be stuck with a TV that doesn't play the best content available.  Kind of like if you had a beta max VCR or HD Video player.  The TV's will still work and play 4K content but you won't get the best possible picture. 

I've been waiting for almost a year to get my next TV as I want something that will be relatively future proof but allow me to enjoy the best possible picture.  Getting a 4K TV without HDR or at least HDR10 is not quite a waste, but it's certainly not setting you up to enjoy everything that's out there.

That's why I'm trying to convince Joe to get something that he won't regret in a year or 2 when all this stuff becomes more mainstream.  4K discs and streams have HDR10 and Dolby Vision available.

This year there will be around 5 4K Blu Ray players available to buy..  Some only play HDR10 but a couple now play both HDR10 and Dolby Vision...  If you get a TV that does both, and a 4K Blu Ray player that can play both, you're pretty much set for 5-10 years.

So again...  if $2500 is your max, and you want to future proof yourself, check Amazon every day and you WILL find a "used like new" LG OLED B6 within a couple weeks..  it's pretty much the best TV you can get at 65 inches and has all that crap I talked about.

The Vizio P series is another great choice at 65 inches as it also includes all that crap.

This years Sony's will have both but they're not going to be in your price range.

If I had a budget of 2500 I'm buying the Vizio P-65 and the best Blu Ray player available that handles everything which is THIS.

If you can wait till March/April you'll be able to get this stuff for less when all the 17' TV's start coming out.

12 hours ago, Pac said:

So again...  if $2500 is your max, and you want to future proof yourself, check Amazon every day and you WILL find a "used like new" LG OLED B6 within a couple weeks..  it's pretty much the best TV you can get at 65 inches and has all that crap I talked about.

The Vizio P series is another great choice at 65 inches as it also includes all that crap.

This years Sony's will have both but they're not going to be in your price range.

If I had a budget of 2500 I'm buying the Vizio P-65 and the best Blu Ray player available that handles everything which is THIS.

If you can wait till March/April you'll be able to get this stuff for less when all the 17' TV's start coming out.

My son Sal bought himself this TV and its pretty silly to be honest. The 4k selections on the upgraded Netfliks are pretty outstanding. I got him a nice sound bar to go with it for christmas. Im about 2 years from getting another TV.

34 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

My son Sal bought himself this TV and its pretty silly to be honest. The 4k selections on the upgraded Netfliks are pretty outstanding. I got him a nice sound bar to go with it for christmas. Im about 2 years from getting another TV.

Silly as in awesome silly?

On 1/9/2017 at 2:01 PM, Pac said:

Silly as in awesome silly?

Shocking is another way I could put it. I am a blue green colorblind male. I have had numerous people, friends and salesman try to convince me for 10 years  how much better one TV is than another. Im always meh. I have 5 different HDMI tv's in my house and as long we are on the HD channels they look very similar to me.  Dude we watched a couple of the titles on the upgraded Netflix in 4k and I feel like I was touched by the hand of God. LOL  Outstanding!!!  Best thing I ever watched. Sexy. I got so excited I bought him a soundbar with sub woofer and tiny high end background speakers for Christmas. It's truly amazing.  Probably going to finally upgrade my TV and sound system in my family room. Finally I honestly have seen something I was impressed with. I went to a friends house a while back and he handed me glasses to watch his goofy 4d TV and I wanted to punch him in the balls. My uncle has a curved TV and that pissed me off too. But this 4k thing my son bought. Truly something special.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Shocking is another way I could put it. I am a blue green colorblind male. I have had numerous people, friends and salesman try to convince me for 10 years  how much better one TV is than another. Im always meh. I have 5 different HDMI tv's in my house and as long we are on the HD channels they look very similar to me.  Dude we watched a couple of the titles on the upgraded Netflix in 4k and I feel like I was touched by the hand of God. LOL  Outstanding!!!  Best thing I ever watched. Sexy. I got so excited I bought him a soundbar with sub woofer and tiny high end background speakers for Christmas. It's truly amazing.  Probably going to finally upgrade my TV and sound system in my family room. Finally I honestly have seen something I was impressed with. I went to a friends house a while back and he handed me glasses to watch his goofy 4d TV and I wanted to punch him in the balls. My uncle has a curved TV and that pissed me off too. But this 4k thing my son bought. Truly something special.

Let me know when you're ready.  A couple buddies have just given me budgets and what they want and I basically tell them what to buy.  TV's, receivers, speakers, subwoofers blah blah blah..  I've wasted an unspeakable amount of hours reading about and researching this stuff over the years.

23 minutes ago, Pac said:

Let me know when you're ready.  A couple buddies have just given me budgets and what they want and I basically tell them what to buy.  TV's, receivers, speakers, subwoofers blah blah blah..  I've wasted an unspeakable amount of hours reading about and researching this stuff over the years.

I have to decide if Im going to knock the wall out to open the area up from the kitchen remodel. After that I will certainly hit you up. Pretty sure Im getting the same TV my son has. Thing is silly sauce.

37 minutes ago, Pac said:

Pac what do you think of this TV....Thanks 

http://www.costco.com/Samsung-65"-Class-(64.5"-Diag)-4K-SUHD-LED-LCD-TV-UN65KS800DFXZA.product.100289903.html

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

If you're set on Samsung this may be the one to get.  Definitely better than the other one you looked at.  It's up there with the other stuff I've been talking about.

The only reason I'd still get the Vizio is because it's $50 cheaper and supports Dolby Vision but you can do a lot worse than this TV.  It's good at upscaling as well so your regular content and sports will look nice.  Picture will be awesome.  Especially if you dial in the settings when you first get it.  Let me know when you do and I'll show you a link with preferred settings.

7 hours ago, Pac said:

If you're set on Samsung this may be the one to get.  Definitely better than the other one you looked at.  It's up there with the other stuff I've been talking about.

The only reason I'd still get the Vizio is because it's $50 cheaper and supports Dolby Vision but you can do a lot worse than this TV.  It's good at upscaling as well so your regular content and sports will look nice.  Picture will be awesome.  Especially if you dial in the settings when you first get it.  Let me know when you do and I'll show you a link with preferred settings.

Ok thanks only thing holding me back is the trim around the picture is chrome really wanted black.

What do you think of the curved TVs?

On 1/22/2017 at 6:22 PM, joewilly12 said:

$1479 SOLD what a picture what a TV 

@Pac need to ask you a question about adjusting the picture would like to take some of the brightness down, 

thanks 

Here ya go:

Settings
Q: Where can I find some recommended calibration settings for this TV?
A: Rtings.com has some recommendations here: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings It is recommended that you further tune settings to your tastes.
Also, it is recommended that you turn off the Eco options (Settings --> System --> Eco Solution, turn off Eco Sensor, Energy Saving Mode, and Motion Lighting).

Q: Ok, I tried using the Rtings.com settings, but things still look bad. What do I do?
A: Here is a description of the various display settings as well as what they control; there is likely one or a combination of settings you can change to improve your picture. @King Richard also has an even more detailed post on picture settings; they are for Samsung's last generation TV but most of them still apply. He also gives better recommendations on how to calibrate each setting.

Picture Mode: These are high level modes that change all of the settings in the "expert settings" menu. Changing expert settings in one picture mode will not affect the settings in other picture modes. Usually, you should see 4 options here: Dynamic, Standard, Natural, and Movie. Only Standard and Movie modes can engage a special "HDR mode" (see below). If you only see two options (Standard and Dynamic), then you are in a special "PC mode". To exit PC mode, press Home --> Source --> (highlight your input) --> press up (to select "^") --> Edit --> select something *other than* PC under "Device Icon" --> OK. See the "Connecting a PC" section for more information.

Special Viewing Mode: These are special modes that override the Picture Mode. Turning one of these on will disable selection of any other picture mode, regular or special. Options are Sports, Game, and HDR+. Game mode will reduce the input lag to around ~20 ms, at the cost of disabling certain settings. HDR+ mode will apply special processing to output 10 bit color. See the "HDR" section for more information.

Under Expert Settings:
Backlight: This controls how bright the LED backlights are. It will control how bright your TV is. If your TV looks dark, turn this up. If your eyes feel like they are being seared off, turn this down. Light bleed will be more prominent at higher Backlight settings. There is no real recommended value here, as it highly depends on your viewing conditions (e.g. ambient light) and personal preference.

Brightness: This controls the black level of the display. Having this too high makes your blacks look gray or "washed out". Setting this too low will cause "clipped" blacks, where you lose detail in dark and shadow areas. Recommended values: 40-45 (rtings.com: 45)

Contrast: This controls the white level of the display. Having this too low gives you a dimmer, less intense picture. Traditionally, having this too high will produce "crushed" or "clipped" whites, where you lose detail in bright areas. However, most KS8000 TVs don't have this problem. Recommended values: 80-100 (rtings.com: 100)

Sharpness: This applies a sharpening filter to the image to bring out edges in an image. In all modes outside of PC mode, any value above 0 will apply this filter. You will likely start seeing sharpening artifacts if this value is above 20. Recommended values: 0-20 (rtings.com: 0). In PC mode, the recommended value is 50, which is the true image. Higher values will apply a sharpening filter, while lower values will apply a blurring filter.

Color: This controls the color saturation of your image. You probably don't need to change this. Recommended value: 50. Higher values will cause loss of definition on brighter areas, while lower values will cause the image to look dull.

Tint (G/R): This applies a teal or magenta tint to the image. You probably don't need to change this. Recommended value: G50/R50.

Apply Picture Settings: If you set this to "All Sources", any settings change will get applied to all of your input sources. If you set this to "Current Source", a change to settings will only apply to the current input source. Recommended setting: Current Source

Digital Clean View: This applies a noise reduction/smoothing algorithm to the image. If you see too much grain in your image, you can turn this to Auto, although the image might then look too smooth. Recommended setting: Off

Auto Motion Plus: These settings attempt to reduce motion blur and judder. If you see too much blur in fast-moving scenes, try turning this on/higher. Higher values (or setting this to Auto) will introduce the "Soap Opera Effect" (SOE). Some people like SOE, while others don't. Recommended setting: Custom; Blur and Judder reduction: 0-3 (rtings.com: Off)

Smart LED: This controls localized dimming in your backlight. Turning this on will allow for deeper blacks when there are both dark and bright parts to the image. Recommended setting: High

Film Mode: This makes frame transitions smoother on interlaced sources (the i in 1080i). If you see interlace effects, turn this to Auto1.

HDMI UHD Color: Turning this on for your input source allows both HDR and 4k with 4:4:4/4:2:2 chroma at refresh rates higher than 30Hz (4k with 4:2:0 chroma at 50/60Hz should work with this off). If your input has HDR or is at 2160p resolution with anything higher than 30Hz, YOU MUST TURN THIS ON for that input. If you are not, then you can leave it off.

HDMI Black Level: This changes the mapping of colors when your input is RGB. It is disabled if you are receiving a signal in YCbCr. If you don't know what any of this means, you should probably just move along. If your source is outputting "RGB Limited", then you should set this to "Low"; if your source is outputting "RGB Full", then you should set this to "Normal". Setting this to "Auto" will typically not be smart enough to detect what type of RGB your source is outputting. For more information, see @King Richard 's post here.

Dynamic Contrast: This applies special post-processing to increase contrast of the image. This behaves very differently when receiving SDR vs. HDR content. For SDR content, it is recommended that you set this to Off or Low, as higher values will cause loss of definition in dark/bright areas. For HDR content, Dynamic Contrast will make the image brighter. For HDR, recommend values are Low or Medium; Off will likely make the image too dark, while High may make the image too bright.

Color Tone: This changes the color tone or temperature of the image. Settings closer to Cool will apply more blue to the image, while settings closer to Warm2 will apply more red to the image. Warm2 is the setting that most accurately reproduces what a director intends for you to see, although this may look too red for some. For more information, @King Richard writes a good post here.

White Balance: This gives you the ability to make more detailed calibration changes to your TV. However, these values are very specific to each TV, and if you don't have special calibration gear, you should probably leave these alone. Recommended values: 2 point: 0; 10 point: Off. Rtings.com publishes the calibrated values FOR THEIR SPECIFIC TEST UNIT, but they do not recommend using them.

Gamma: This adjusts the gamma correction for the TV. If you don't know what this is, you should probably leave this alone. Recommended value: 0

RGB Only Mode: Uh... I don't know why they even put this in. Leave this Off.

Color Space: This changes the color gamut of your picture. For SDR content, setting this to "Native" will make your colors more saturated, although this might look off. For HDR content, you can use either "Native" or "Auto".

Q: How do I turn off the Samsung Logo light at the bottom of my screen?
A: Systems --> Expert Settings --> Light Effect --> Off

Archived