Jets Lose Team Reporter

Maxman

I don't know what happened, but it looks like the Jets let team reporter Alex Giaimo go. She was Eric Allen's sidekick. She posted this on Instagram.

Her comments on the post say #nobodyspuppet and #neverconform. Seems like some bad blood. Anyone know the deal?

Alex.PNG

Glad to see her go- she was young and it showed, gave a poor, bland interview with the players and didn't really listen to responses.

Jeanne Coakley OTOH is the shiznit- live her warmth and intelligence. Cares for the players feelings, respects them but through that coaxes some tougher questions thru. She gets it and I'm glad her profile and role has been elevated.

Not only does trashing a former employer on the way out look incredibly childish, but she wasn't even good enough to take it to that level.

I don't know what happened and I doubt we ever will...but it sounds like the Jets weren't a fan of how she was doing her interviews, covering the team, etc. Basically, it sounds like they wanted to do her job a certain way and she decided to stamp her feet and leave under the idea that she was too "unique" to do things "the corporate way".  I follow her on twitter.  She seems like a nice chick, but comes off as little....idk, immature.  This doesn't squash that image at all.

22 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Glad to see her go- she was young and it showed, gave a poor, bland interview with the players and didn't really listen to responses.

Jeanne Coakley OTOH is the shiznit- live her warmth and intelligence. Cares for the players feelings, respects them but through that coaxes some tougher questions thru. She gets it and I'm glad her profile and role has been elevated.

I don't follow this stuff all that closely, how has Jeanne been elevated? And I do agree though, Jeanne is great.

21 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Not only does trashing a former employer on the way out look incredibly childish, but she wasn't even good enough to take it to that level.

I agree. It's unprofessional to speak negatively about a former employer. And it's especially foolish to do it on social media. That's going to turn off others from hiring her. 

Her role was to keep people from having to stare directly at Eric Allen and she couldn't do that, so they'll go out to Staten Island and find some C-level pair of Italian buttcheeks to squeeze into green yoga pants and try again. She shouldn't feel too bad, really. The Jets marketing and forward presentation is so idiotic and cheap that they wouldn't be able to compete for ticket sales against the Bridgeport Bluefish if they were in this market. You're talking about a team that marched out Jay Fiedler as a season ticket draw a few weeks ago. The Bluefish, meanwhile, rolled out Roger Clemens, Doc Gooden, and Ric Flair this year. 

Could be a position they just want to rotate out every year.  Eric Allen was solo until two years ago before they brought that guy Howerton on, then her, and in the coming months it'll be somebody else for a year.

This is actually the 4th straight "team reporter" they let go. This all started four years ago when they had some sort of contest to sign up through a website to be Eric Allens sidekick. That first girl was pretty awful could barely talk and stumbled a lot. Then they hired Amanda Pflugrad then Howerton and then Alex Giamo. Someone should tell the next chump they hire this is not a good gig for job security.

50 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

This is actually the 4th straight "team reporter" they let go. This all started four years ago when they had some sort of contest to sign up through a website to be Eric Allens sidekick. That first girl was pretty awful could barely talk and stumbled a lot. Then they hired Amanda Pflugrad then Howerton and then Alex Giamo. Someone should tell the next chump they hire this is not a good gig for job security.

They're not going to be able to attract an elite team website sidekick if they keep firing them after one season. 

Bunch of people in this thread who have obviously never worked in the media. When you work for a team like this, and Eric Allen is a prime example, you're basically selling your journalistic soul. You have to paint everything green and white and it's obviously not based on reports. She probably got fed up with having to ask these softball questions about what's your favorite super hero and why on Snapchat. To her it probably felt like lighting her degree on fire. I mean she has probably seen and heard a million things and since she's a "team reporter" she would never be allowed to report on it. Probably very tough if it's her first time gig and not the way she was taught.

I also see nothing that she did that was classless or demeaning to the Jets on the way out. The media is a tough business and it's become even tougher since November 9th. She's probably happy to be done and moving on to bigger and better things than having to glad hand a 2nd rate franchise. I wish her the best and hope she lands on her feet. 

18 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Bunch of people in this thread who have obviously never worked in the media. When you work for a team like this, and Eric Allen is a prime example, you're basically selling your journalistic soul. You have to paint everything green and white and it's obviously not based on reports. She probably got fed up with having to ask these softball questions about what's your favorite super hero and why on Snapchat. To her it probably felt like lighting her degree on fire. I mean she has probably seen and heard a million things and since she's a "team reporter" she would never be allowed to report on it. Probably very tough if it's her first time gig and not the way she was taught.

I also see nothing that she did that was classless or demeaning to the Jets on the way out. The media is a tough business and it's become even tougher since November 9th. She's probably happy to be done and moving on to bigger and better things than having to glad hand a 2nd rate franchise. I wish her the best and hope she lands on her feet. 

There are millions of jobs in the world that do this. They are called Public relations.

I have never seen one of her reports or even knew of her prior to this, so I do not know how she conducted her business. But if she was communicating her thoughts on a Jet official media channel after she was fired, the Jets are very stupid. 

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

There are millions of jobs in the world that do this. They are called Public relations.

I have never seen one of her reports or even knew of her prior to this, so I do not know how she conducted her business. But if she was communicating her thoughts on a Jet official media channel after she was fired, the Jets are very stupid. 

Of course. And a team reporter position is more like a PR person for the team than anything else. I'm not sure if she didn't realize that's what it was but she was never going to do any hard and breaking news with the team as the team reporter. You're basically a member of the flight crew with a microphone. She was obviously under some kind of other impression. 

8 hours ago, David Harris said:

LOL. 

Coakley is a nice enough reporter but give me a break.  

We invented a new drinking game for Post Game Live.  Everytime she asks someone "what was the mindset...?" and "what was the message..?" you drink. 

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

This one says she will get the last laugh. I hope they had her sign a non-compete. If she goes to the Cheaters she will have a 100 receptions easily.

Alex2.PNG

There is no mystery here. She is another entitled, bratty millennial in the workplace. And apparently one that comes from a very wealthy family because no one working in her job could afford that car.  She has no idea how lucky she was to have that opportunity. 

I am sure the world will make more pretty girls to do boring, content-free sideline interviews or whatever she did.

Best of luck to her, but I'm personally not overly worried about people whose resume start with "wow, look how hot I am, put me on TV".

It's akin to mourning whichever airheaded blond FOX News just let go, when there are a dozen more waiting in the wings.

Lets be honest, make her Mr. Alex and ugly and no one cares or notices.

28 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

Chicks in the sideline annoy me.

"let's go to the person we hired to meet federal hiring guidelines and find out something no one cares about. Leslie, what do you have for us?"

Even though I only saw her one time the entire season (during preseason no less), my first thought when I saw the subject line was "please don't let it be Alex Giaimo".  This being the Jets though, OF COURSE that's who it was.  Other than the main announcers the rest of these reporters ALL do fluff pieces (e.g. "big win for you guys today - how are you feeling?") so they may as well be done by attractive chicks (which she certainly is).  Only the Jets!

Alex Giaimo.jpg

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Her role was to keep people from having to stare directly at Eric Allen and she couldn't do that, so they'll go out to Staten Island and find some C-level pair of Italian buttcheeks to squeeze into green yoga pants and try again. She shouldn't feel too bad, really. The Jets marketing and forward presentation is so idiotic and cheap that they wouldn't be able to compete for ticket sales against the Bridgeport Bluefish if they were in this market. You're talking about a team that marched out Jay Fiedler as a season ticket draw a few weeks ago. The Bluefish, meanwhile, rolled out Roger Clemens, Doc Gooden, and Ric Flair this year. 

lol, well done.

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

LOL. 

Coakley is a nice enough reporter but give me a break.  

We invented a new drinking game for Post Game Live.  Everytime she asks someone "what was the mindset...?" and "what was the message..?" you drink. 

You obviously drank a lot then. Jeane Coakley seems like a really sweet, likeable, person. And it's certainly not an easy job, having to get player reactions, especially after a tough loss.

But, how many times can I hear, "What's the mood in the locker room right now?"...

11 hours ago, David Harris said:

Quick question:  When going to a Jeane for a player interview on SNY's post game show, why do the male hosts always say "our" Jeane Coakley?  Seems patronizing and unnecessary. 

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

I don't follow this stuff all that closely, how has Jeanne been elevated? And I do agree though, Jeanne is great.

No insider info, I've just noticed she is behind the desk often, perhaps could be because she is/was pregnant but I noticed her anchoring discussions in addition to field interviews.

she could end up being big I think, perhaps moving on to bigger and better things

6 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

You obviously drank a lot then. Jeane Coakley seems like a really sweet, likeable, person. And it's certainly not an easy job, having to get player reactions, especially after a tough loss.

But, how many times can I hear, "What's the mood in the locker room right now?"...

And she gets way too close to the players when doing the interview.  Plus, stares like a mental patient at the camera as she throws it back to the studio.

Archived