Jets have to re-sign Geno

Freemanm

44 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

You're right, we're gonna need a stop gap veteran to hold the fort while we develop Petty/Hack. Fitz has elite chemistry with our receivers, he set a Jets TD record last year, and he knows the offense. He's a leader and the guys really fight for him. No brainer!

LOL NOW THIS IS ****IN' FUNNY!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Is this like when we say that one of the Kardashians "has to" die from Hep-C? Because it's fated, not because that's something they should seek to do? 

Did you know that Khloe Kardashian has DSL's? Just FYI.

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

Yes, the Jets QB situation is this bad. The team basically has no choice but to re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick. Geno sucks and is almost certain to be let go. I'm not that into college football, but even if DeShaun Watson falls to number six, the stats say that he's a turnover machine and wouldn't be ready on starting day. Speaking of turnover machines though, he would still probably be better than Geno. Unless the Jets sign a big name free agent or swing a deal for, say, Mike Glennon, there's really no one left but Fitz. Petty hasn't shown that he's a starter, and as we all know, Hackenburg probably still won't get playing time. 

What other options do we have beyond that? 

Glenn - couldn't disagree with you more! With Gailey gone, we'll be installing a brand new offense that likely won't require the services of a non-athletic and old quarterback. Any O Coord we get will want to distance himself from that hot garbage. There's no way he would want to hitch his wagon to a mule that can't pull. And Mac knows this. Look for one of the FAs to be acquired and we will likely draft another QB in the early rounds (2-4).

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Totally agree.

If he had an attitude that didn't suck I would say there would be a 2% chance they would bring him back just out of desperation.

But his attitude blows so if they bring him back they should all be fired on the spot Kama take a chance on another veteran project.

Personally comma I love talk to text also.

1 hour ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

Glenn - couldn't disagree with you more! With Gailey gone, we'll be installing a brand new offense that likely won't require the services of a non-athletic and old quarterback. Any O Coord we get will want to distance himself from that hot garbage. There's no way he would want to hitch his wagon to a mule that can't pull. And Mac knows this. Look for one of the FAs to be acquired and we will likely draft another QB in the early rounds (2-4).

This is a troll thread. The opening post is almost word for word the same from the Geno thread. Had I known that my first post in this thread would've been different...

5 hours ago, Nick Blitz said:

If given a choice I'd rather re-sign Geno than keep Fitz another year. 

That makes no sense.

It's far better to take a chance that in a relief role Fitzpatrick might play well enough to win as opposed to Geno who we know will definitely lose.

SAR I

5 hours ago, mkajet01 said:

Petty played 4 games, hack hasn't played. We know what geno is. Are u kidding me u want to sign Fitz? U have to let young qb play make mistakes.some qbs take a few yrs to develope.

The logic is that no NFL team would dare go into a season with only a Petty and a Hackenberg and it's inevitable that we would need a veteran backup in the mix.  Not a starter.  A backup.

As such, it would boil down to people like Mark Sanchez or Ryan Fitzpatrick and we'd be far better off with a guy who already has been mentoring our kids and understands he's nothing more than a backup rather than to have someone come in here with delusions of being a starter and ruining the chemistry in the QB room.

SAR I

4 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Futz destroyed this team in the offseason last year. Then his QB play and locker room presence continued to do more of the same. No f'n way

There is absolutely no evidence of this, Fitz and the Jets were in a stalemate because they both needed each other, it lingered for awhile and then was wrapped up very quickly on the eve of camp.

Fitz was nothing but professional the entire season, and with the OC and QB coach both gone he can represent a modicum of consistency and certainty which no other veteran backup quarterback can do.

Fitz has very young kids who have been in school for two years now, I don't think he wants to relocate again this quickly.  Look for Fitz and the Jets to sign something cheaply and quickly and give the young QB's some continuity.

SAR I

12 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Yes, the Jets QB situation is this bad. The team basically has no choice but to re-sign Geno Smith. Fitz sucks and is almost certain to be let go. I'm not that into college football, but even if DeShaun Watson falls to number six, the stats say that he's a turnover machine and wouldn't be ready on starting day. Speaking of turnover machines though, he would still probably be better than Fitz. Unless the Jets sign a big name free agent or swing a deal for, say, Mike Glennon, there's really no one left but Smith. Petty hasn't shown that he's a starter, and as we all know, Hackenburg probably still won't get playing time. 

Let Hack start and lead us to an 0-16 season draft Darnold rejoice in streets.

Only Jets fans would want to bring the worst f-in QB in the NFL to ruin yet another season. The idiots on this board are ready to give up on Petty and Hack without even giving them a shot but want to give this f**cking loser Fitz who has f((cking PROVEN he is the worst QB in the NFL ANOTHER shot. F that. Seriously. And screw off to anyone that thinks that. It would destroy this team. I couldnt watch it again. I live in San Diego. Sundays would become winter golf days if that brought that f**cking fraud back again

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There is absolutely no evidence of this, Fitz and the Jets were in a stalemate because they both needed each other, it lingered for awhile and then was wrapped up very quickly on the eve of camp.

Fitz was nothing but professional the entire season, and with the OC and QB coach both gone he can represent a modicum of consistency and certainty which no other veteran backup quarterback can do.

Fitz has very young kids who have been in school for two years now, I don't think he wants to relocate again this quickly.  Look for Fitz and the Jets to sign something cheaply and quickly and give the young QB's some continuity.

SAR I

Your trolling is sooo old. Welcome to ignore.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Lol.

I don't see any chance Geno returns.  He played poorly here, was the last regimes guy, and embarrassed the team, and he feels the team didn't support him or give him his fair chance with weaponz.  Thats a clear-cut "sorry, not interested" on both sides of the ledger.

I see one of two things happening:

1. We sign or trade for a Veteran, and go into 2017 with yet another "Veteran Hold the Fort" starter, with Hack and either Petty or another mid-rounder as the #2/#3.  And yes, Romo and other old "name" QB's are still just hold the fort guys, they're not future franchise QB's, they're guys playing out their string a la Favre.

2. We draft of trade for a young talent.  Glennon, for example, or we draft a #1 pick QB (whomever it may be).  In that case, the starter is either the youn traded talent (say Glennon) with Petty and Hack behind him, or Petty is the temp. starter, Hack the #2, and the Draft Pick the #3, with Hack and the Draft PIck soon to be the #1 when appropriate.

Geno?  No, I see Geno as a "we can fix him" Coaches choice backup elsewhere.  Like Mark Sanchez, he'll get another job, but will continue to devolve and play poorly till he's an afterthought or #3, just like Sanchez. 

There's a third option:

3.  We have an open competition between Petty and Hackenberg and let them battle it out the whole season.  It's what rebuilding teams with investments in two young quarterbacks do.  By the end of the year, you know if one of them is a capable starter.  And in that scenario, you need a third QB as a backup and as a mentor and as someone who is not a threat to be a starter, and that's what leads to resigning Ryan Fitzpatrick.

SAR I

Just now, johnnysd said:

Your trolling is sooo old. Welcome to ignore.

Not sure why you think this is trolling, it's certainly not what I'm doing.  It's actually logical for a team in our position.

Our owner just told us we are in for a rebuild.  We have two young kids who need work.  They will need an older veteran backup at the end of the line who isn't a threat to their position or confidence.  This is what rebuilding teams should do.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There's a third option:

3.  We have an open competition between Petty and Hackenberg and let them battle it out the whole season.  It's what rebuilding teams with investments in two young quarterbacks do.  By the end of the year, you know if one of them is a capable starter.  And in that scenario, you need a third QB as a backup and as a mentor and as someone who is not a threat to be a starter, and that's what leads to resigning Ryan Fitzpatrick.

SAR I

Yeah, no.

This kind of mindset, wasting a QB slot on a player that serve no material purpose and reduces your stable of younger developing talent, is exactly why conservative GM's and Head Coaches never improve at QB, and get rightfully fired.

If we need a "mentor", we can hire a former-NFL-QB to help Coach them.  The roster is for players with futures.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yeah, no.

This kind of mindset, wasting a QB slot on a player that serve no material purpose and reduces your stable of younger developing talent, is exactly why conservative GM's and Head Coaches never improve at QB, and get rightfully fired.

If we need a "mentor", we can hire a former-NFL-QB to help Coach them.  The roster is for players with futures.

First off, let me clarify, I don't want Fitzpatrick playing for this team.  I do, however, want either Petty or Hackenberg to emerge and take control and having someone non-threatening like Fitzpatrick on the bench allows us to validate these two kids.

See, if we bring a bonafide potential starter in here, like Glennon/Cassel/Hoyer, well that sets us back, the kids get no playing time, here we go again with a Testaverde or a Favre or a Fitzpatrick, it's the road to nowhere.  So I can see the Jets signing a guy like Fitzpatrick who won't threaten for a starting role, and of all the Fitzpatrick's available next year,  I think Fitzpatrick might be the best option.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

First off, let me clarify, I don't want Fitzpatrick playing for this team.  I do, however, want either Petty or Hackenberg to emerge and take control and having someone non-threatening like Fitzpatrick on the bench allows us to validate these two kids.

See, if we bring a bonafide potential starter in here, like Glennon/Cassel/Hoyer, well that sets us back, the kids get no playing time, here we go again with a Testaverde or a Favre or a Fitzpatrick, it's the road to nowhere.  So I can see the Jets signing a guy like Fitzpatrick who won't threaten for a starting role, and of all the Fitzpatrick's available next year,  I think Fitzpatrick might be the best option.

SAR I

trollface_colored_by_fuerawebadas-d3fwi1

29 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Oh boy, here we go with the green lenses again. Let me remind you here:

Futz missed OTA's and did not sign until just before PS. Can you please inform me of how that is optimal for the team of Jets players? There were new WR's and a new RB who became the starter. His not signing also split the locker room as several of the Jets publicly spoke out for him over the other QB's putting even more pressure on the FO and HC.

His signing the took the Jets over the cap. Furthermore, they have to pay him next season too. Long term his signing made the Jets carry 4 QB's taking reps and playing time. 

His play was abysmal at best. Horrific at worst. He should have been cut after the KC debacle. After he was benched, he spoke out about some not believing in him during an after game Presser. That shows his professionalism. The only things he stood for was himself and the players union. 

Cut this cancer now. He should be long gone already. Particularly since Chan is not here to baby sit his ego. 

The FO should understand by now this is a business. No player is bigger than the team or the franchise. They can finish in last place without him. 

Let's handing out money as a pacifier

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

Futz missed OTA's and did not sign until just before PS. Can you please inform me of how that is optimal for the team of Jets players? There were new WR's and a new RB who became the starter. His not signing also split the locker room as several of the Jets publicly spoke out for him over the other QB's putting even more pressure on the FO and HC.

His signing the took the Jets over the cap. Furthermore, they have to pay him next season too. Long term his signing made the Jets carry 4 QB's taking reps and playing time. 

His play was abysmal at best. Horrific at worst. He should have been cut after the KC debacle. After he was benched, he spoke out about some not believing in him during an after game Presser. That shows his professionalism. The only things he stood for was himself and the players union. 

Cut this cancer now. He should be long gone already. Particularly since Chan is not here to baby sit his ego. 

The FO should understand by now this is a business. No player is bigger than the team or the franchise. They can finish in last place without him. 

Let's stop handing out money as a pacifier

Double error

10 hours ago, win4ever said:

On a pure talent basis (current roster) I see your point.  If he comes back, he's the most ready QB next season.  It just doesn't make long term sense for the Jets because it certainly seems like they don't see him as a long term franchise QB.   He will go somewhere else and be better because no one was doing good with his surrounding cast.  However, the Jets need to stick to their youth movement, and go Petty/Hackenberg.  If they work out, have basically 2-3 years of a cost controlled young QB, and a future guy.  If not, we need to tank badly enough that we get a top pick in the draft next year.

Bringing Geno is going in the middle, because he will be better than his prior stats to the point that it might swing a couple of games for us, which will be useless.  

If you resign Geno:

A)  Short term contract- More safety for us, but if he's even remotely good, then you have to over-pay for him as a free agent.

B- Long term contract- More safety for him, but we have to assume he will be good with better surrounding cast over the long run.  

Both of these scenario's are risky for us.  This was the same argument I made for Geno last year in the Fitzpatrick negotiations.  It made no sense to bring him back, because long term Fitz wasn't going to be here cheap.  Same with Geno.  Unless he takes a short term deal worth little money (very small chance of this), I don't see them bringing him back.  However, he would be the best option of the three (Petty and Hackenberg) if he's back, but it might not be enough to push the team over.  

If we were competing for next year as a win now team, I would bring him back.   

Very rational argument

13 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Yes, the Jets QB situation is this bad. The team basically has no choice but to re-sign Geno Smith. Fitz sucks and is almost certain to be let go. I'm not that into college football, but even if DeShaun Watson falls to number six, the stats say that he's a turnover machine and wouldn't be ready on starting day. Speaking of turnover machines though, he would still probably be better than Fitz. Unless the Jets sign a big name free agent or swing a deal for, say, Mike Glennon, there's really no one left but Smith. Petty hasn't shown that he's a starter, and as we all know, Hackenburg probably still won't get playing time. 

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

Yes, the Jets QB situation is this bad. The team basically has no choice but to re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick. Geno sucks and is almost certain to be let go. I'm not that into college football, but even if DeShaun Watson falls to number six, the stats say that he's a turnover machine and wouldn't be ready on starting day. Speaking of turnover machines though, he would still probably be better than Geno. Unless the Jets sign a big name free agent or swing a deal for, say, Mike Glennon, there's really no one left but Fitz. Petty hasn't shown that he's a starter, and as we all know, Hackenburg probably still won't get playing time. 

Hilarious that people are actually taking the second post by AFJF so seriously. =D>

10 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Let's handing out money as a pacifier

Fitzpatrick had one of the best seasons in Jets history and it certainly looked to him and Jets management that things could continue the following season.  Football is a business, Fitz realized he had one decent contract left in him, he wanted some stability for his family, the negotiations merely dragged on until one of them blinked.

Your narrative chronology is wrong.  Fitzpatrick took his benching like a man.  Didn't say a word.  After Geno's injury where he led us to a victory over the Ravens, during the presser, Fitzpatrick merely spoke the honest truth, he said that the GM and HC didn't believe in him anymore.  That's what 100s of media types said the week prior, it's what you and I said, so he said it.  My feeling at the time is that it was refreshingly honest.

Why you think Ryan Fitzpatrick pushed the Jets buttons and manipulated the team is beyond me.  No player or coach has said this, nothing leaked to the media about this theory.  Fitz is a good team leader and a good guy who just happens to be washed up as a starting quarterback.  You can leave it at that.  There's no reason to embellish what took place or manufacture a story that he was a problem in the locker room. 

SAR I

Archived