Jets have to re-sign Geno

Freemanm

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yet you think they'll retain him.

B)

Fitzpatrick The $12M Starter, no way.

Fitzpatrick The Minimum Wage Backup, perhaps.

If you subscribe to the theory that the Jets will give the keys to Petty or Hackenberg as the rebuilding starter and will need a cheap veteran backup who isn't a threat and would need to have good chemistry in that regard with the young kids, then who is a better candidate than Fitzpatrick to quietly hold the clipboard?

Much as the thought of Fitzpatrick in uniform next year is nauseating, it would signify that we are not going down the destructive "old guy who lost elsewhere" path with Hoyer or Glennon and I'm 100% all in for that.

SAR I

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Fitzpatrick The $12M Starter, no way.

Fitzpatrick The Minimum Wage Backup, perhaps.

If you subscribe to the theory that the Jets will give the keys to Petty or Hackenberg as the rebuilding starter and will need a cheap veteran backup who isn't a threat and would need to have good chemistry in that regard with the young kids, then who is a better candidate than Fitzpatrick to quietly hold the clipboard?

Much as the thought of Fitzpatrick in uniform next year is nauseating, it would signify that we are not going down the destructive "old guy who lost elsewhere" path with Hoyer or Glennon and I'm 100% all in for that.

SAR I

Josh McCown would be the worst choice (assuming he's available) because he's good enough to win a few games though absolutely is an "old guy who lost elsewhere" JAG/retread.

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Fitzpatrick had one of the best seasons in Jets history and it certainly looked to him and Jets management that things could continue the following season.  Football is a business, Fitz realized he had one decent contract left in him, he wanted some stability for his family, the negotiations merely dragged on until one of them blinked.

Your narrative chronology is wrong.  Fitzpatrick took his benching like a man.  Didn't say a word.  After Geno's injury where he led us to a victory over the Ravens, during the presser, Fitzpatrick merely spoke the honest truth, he said that the GM and HC didn't believe in him anymore.  That's what 100s of media types said the week prior, it's what you and I said, so he said it.  My feeling at the time is that it was refreshingly honest.

Why you think Ryan Fitzpatrick pushed the Jets buttons and manipulated the team is beyond me.  No player or coach has said this, nothing leaked to the media about this theory.  Fitz is a good team leader and a good guy who just happens to be washed up as a starting quarterback.  You can leave it at that.  There's no reason to embellish what took place or manufacture a story that he was a problem in the locker room. 

SAR I

You can believe that crap if you want. The Jets were a severly fractured team. Futz was a major part of that its his play, his bs about no one believing  in him when clearly Mangold, Decker and Marshall panned for him. No denying he had a great 2015.

The Jets did not. The Jets did not make the playoffs. He destabilized the team at the most important position. As far as the truth, that was his truth and not for the team. I don't need to manufacture anything. He is a disaster. He also hurts the Jets with his weak arm.

Let this Jack hit the f'n road.

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I mean, I can see the logic behind it but I still think you're nuts.  I'd be stunned if the Jets re-sign Geno.

Joking aside, the Jets would never resign Geno because he is not part of our future and he would never quietly hold the clipboard in a non-threatening manner supporting Petty and Hackenberg.

Much as I detest Geno, that's a shame because in another world Geno would be that guy except for the immaturity and selfishness he's displayed countless times.  Geno is only a candidate to be someone's starter, he's screwed himself out of a decent backup job.  No one wants a disgruntled guy who thinks he's being unfairly typecast as a backup.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

You can believe that crap if you want. The Jets were a severly fractured team. Futz was a major part of that its his play, his bs about no one believing  in him when clearly Mangold, Decker and Marshall panned for him. No denying he had a great 2015.

The Jets did not. The Jets did not make the playoffs. He destabilized the team at the most important position. As far as the truth, that was his truth and not for the team. I don't need to manufacture anything. He is a disaster. He also hurts the Jets with his weak arm.

Let this Jack hit the f'n road.

I highly recommend you re-watch the Ravens postgame presser.  Fitzpatrick was just being honest and was saying everything that millions of people were saying that whole week.  It's hardly appropriate to blame the guy for saying what everyone else was saying about him.  Here's the quote:

"The biggest thing in this game -- to last -- is to have belief in yourself," "Because when the owner stops believing in you and the GM stops believing in you and the coaches stop believing in you, sometimes all you have is yourself. That's kind of something I've dealt with before and something I'm dealing with now." "I think it's not easy but my teammates believing in me is a big thing. I think their opinion of me is kind of what drives me and what matters so I know I still have that belief in the huddle and that is what matters to me. You know, it's not the easiest thing -- I'm human -- it's not the easiest thing in the world to deal with. But it's something I've dealt with and again, I'm just relying on my support system and believe in myself."

He didn't say it with a snarky attitude either, he was very transparent and self deprecating.  Video here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000726416/article/fitzpatrick-jets-owner-gm-coach-lost-faith-in-me

SAR I

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I mean, I can see the logic behind it but I still think you're nuts.  I'd be stunned if the Jets re-sign Geno.

In the little bit he played this season before he got injured, the team responded and scored tds. Unlike with Fitz.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I highly recommend you re-watch the Ravens postgame presser.  Fitzpatrick was just being honest and was saying everything that millions of people were saying that whole week.  It's hardly appropriate to blame the guy for saying what everyone else was saying about him.  Here's the quote:

"The biggest thing in this game -- to last -- is to have belief in yourself," "Because when the owner stops believing in you and the GM stops believing in you and the coaches stop believing in you, sometimes all you have is yourself. That's kind of something I've dealt with before and something I'm dealing with now." "I think it's not easy but my teammates believing in me is a big thing. I think their opinion of me is kind of what drives me and what matters so I know I still have that belief in the huddle and that is what matters to me. You know, it's not the easiest thing -- I'm human -- it's not the easiest thing in the world to deal with. But it's something I've dealt with and again, I'm just relying on my support system and believe in myself."

He didn't say it with a snarky attitude either, he was very transparent and self deprecating.  Video here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000726416/article/fitzpatrick-jets-owner-gm-coach-lost-faith-in-me

SAR I

Sometimes if you don't say things, it speaks volumes. Leadership on the Jets was missing at the QB position.

The lesson learned is that the Jets should not go outside for FA's who then come in and think that they can run things for the whole team. The Jets need to groom their own players who then become the leaders. The FA's should come in and buttress the organization. 

Marshall, Decker and Futz came in and became the leaders because of a huge void due to bad drafts. Time to move on from them. They divided the lockeroom.

when Richardson got upset, it was just because he is a groomed Jet and stood up to the outsiders. Don't you get it?

If Fitz had signed the 3/$24M deal, showed up in the offseason, etc., I'd welcome him back this year, despite his piss poor performance, in the backup/mentor role (perhaps after an additional pay cut). But he didn't. He held the team up, and they stupidly capitulated. He was allegedly betting on himself. He lost in a major way. 

Many fans saw thru his supposed "great season," and didn't want him back. For these fans, Fitz is as persona non grata as Geno or Sanchez. As he should be. 

3 hours ago, August said:

This is a troll thread. The opening post is almost word for word the same from the Geno thread. Had I known that my first post in this thread would've been different...

The interwebs is certainly a weird and wondrous place ... Is Putin toying with us??

41 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Yeah because we know Fitz added no drama this season :roll:

Exactly. 

His play on the field was as attrocious as Revis, Smith, Wilkerson, or Richardson but he didn't cause drama through misbehavior or laziness like they did.

SAR I

16 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Sometimes if you don't say things, it speaks volumes. Leadership on the Jets was missing at the QB position.

The lesson learned is that the Jets should not go outside for FA's who then come in and think that they can run things for the whole team. The Jets need to groom their own players who then become the leaders. The FA's should come in and buttress the organization. 

Marshall, Decker and Futz came in and became the leaders because of a huge void due to bad drafts. Time to move on from them. They divided the lockeroom.

when Richardson got upset, it was just because he is a groomed Jet and stood up to the outsiders. Don't you get it?

I agreed with your post up until the last line. 

Fitzpatrick's demeanor wasn't the reason we were 5-11. Perhaps his lousy play on the field, but not his ability to lead and be professional. 

SAR I

Lol, how did these threads get merged?  

My previous comments make me look like a schizo now.  Approving at one point and strongly disapproving at another.

One is a professional QB who works hard, can help this team and is a good teammate.

The other is a worthless, lazy, greedy POS, and has a beard.

It's like merging "Opinion on Trump" and "Opinion on Hillary" threads.

* Functionality Suggestion:  When merging, existing comments should be labeled/flagged with their original thread title.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Lol, how did these threads get merged?  

My previoys comments make me look like a schizo now.  Approving at one point and strongly disapproving at another.

One is a professional QB who works hard, can help this team and is a good teammate.

The other is a worthless, lazy, greedy POS, and has a beard.

It's like merging "Opinion on Trump" and "Opinion on Hillary" threads.

* Functionality Suggestion:  When merging, existing comments should be labeled/flagged with their original thread title.

This is obviously a major part of the fun. 

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Much as I detest Geno, that's a shame because in another world Geno would be that guy except for the immaturity and selfishness he's displayed countless times.  Geno is only a candidate to be someone's starter, he's screwed himself out of a decent backup job.  No one wants a disgruntled guy who thinks he's being unfairly typecast as a backup.

SAR I

Ironic 

9 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

They're not re-signing Geno or Fitz. They will cut some players and use money to sign imo an established Qb. Probably Petty and Hack will be on the roster with the starter a FA vet. And it won't come cheap but Woody will spend the money for that. 

Absolutely 100% fitz won't be back.. There is garbage on the qb FA agent market.. Even the top of the garbage list won't choose to come to jets on a 1 or 2 year year deal.. And we don't want to commit to any of these guys past that. This team isn't making the playoffs next yr if it is geno or a guy like glennon coming in.. I'd like to see hackenberg on a trial.. if mac and Bowles aren't too scared to prove their faith in this kid.. There is good handful of qbs coming out in the 18 draft.. That is what should be on Max's mind, unless hackenberg actually shows something big next yr.. Singing geno for peanuts with no commitment to 18 isn't a bad idea.. It's not going to matter wether we go 5-11 with geno, ( if hackenberg needs a 2nd REDSHIRT) lol or 7-9 with another FA..

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

I agreed with your post up until the last line. 

Fitzpatrick's demeanor wasn't the reason we were 5-11. Perhaps his lousy play on the field, but not his ability to lead and be professional. 

SAR I

Are you kidding? His ability to lead is non-existent. He has no ability to be professional or this team makes the playoffs in 2015. 2 loses to Buffalo where he choked in both games. Granted the soft schedule would have accounted for them making the playoffs but sh*tz could have gotten them there and He did not. When it all was on the line he choked as He has his whole career.  His true colors showed there and his "best season in Jets history" was the fluke not the norm. No way I want this loser anywhere near a QB of the future whether that future QB is on this team now or not.  Jesus H Christ how can anyone make the case for this guy?

20 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Yes, the Jets QB situation is this bad. The team basically has no choice but to re-sign Geno Smith. Fitz sucks and is almost certain to be let go. I'm not that into college football, but even if DeShaun Watson falls to number six, the stats say that he's a turnover machine and wouldn't be ready on starting day. Speaking of turnover machines though, he would still probably be better than Fitz. Unless the Jets sign a big name free agent or swing a deal for, say, Mike Glennon, there's really no one left but Smith. Petty hasn't shown that he's a starter, and as we all know, Hackenburg probably still won't get playing time. 

What other options do we have beyond that? 

bye bye Geno !!!!

3 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Are you kidding? His ability to lead is non-existent. He has no ability to be professional or this team makes the playoffs in 2015. 2 loses to Buffalo where he choked in both games. Granted the soft schedule would have accounted for them making the playoffs but sh*tz could have gotten them there and He did not. When it all was on the line he choked as He has his whole career.  His true colors showed there and his "best season in Jets history" was the fluke not the norm. No way I want this loser anywhere near a QB of the future whether that future QB is on this team now or not.  Jesus H Christ how can anyone make the case for this guy?

Being a locker room leader and being a great player on the field are two different things.  Fitz was both a great leader and a great quarterback in 2015 when he set the Jets record for TD's in a single season and the combo of 14-15-87 was on fire.  In 2016 he was terrible on the field but took his medicine and his demotion with class and didn't make trouble for Petty or Hackenberg.

No one is making the case for Ryan Fitzpatrick to be a Jets starter.  No one.  But when it comes to how we handle the two kids and who we bring in here to be the veteran backup, Fitzpatrick is in the conversation.  We need a backup that 1) knows he's not ever going to start, 2) has shown he can mentor young guys, and 3) would be a good cultural fit for Petty and Hackenberg as they figure out the NFL.  Well, tell me who else is out there that hits these three marks, is already on our cap, and already has a relationship with Petty and Hack.  Exactly.

SAR I

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Exactly. 

His play on the field was as attrocious as Revis, Smith, Wilkerson, or Richardson but he didn't cause drama through misbehavior or laziness like they did.

SAR I

Yes he did at a post game press  conference with his poor pitiful me speech after throwing 6 picks in 1 game.... "I'm pissed off and I will just play pissed off, ya know when the coaches don't believe in me, the GM doesn't believe in me, the owner doesn't all I can do is believe in myself." Really Ryan? That was lower than anything Geno ever did to throw the whole front office under the bus for maybe losing confidence in a guy who just threw 6 picks in a single game. It was the worst I had ever see ANY NFL QB play in my life. Hack couldn't have played that terrible in that game.

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

your proof of this is what and don't say that time one of his teammates broke his jaw

Lol, last year when fitz played with the broken thumb a report came out that the players came to Bowles and said, "anyone but geno"

15 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Geno is going to get better? Might not be enough to push the team over? Is this serious or am I missing a whole bunch of sarcasm?

Let's forget that he's coming off a major surgery and is a bad, turnover quarterback on the field who makes the same terrible decisions as a 4th Year player that he did when he was a rookie. He's also a malcontent and one of the things wrong with the Jets locker room. They need a culture change big time and he's one of the first that needs to go. It's time to admit he's a bad player and move on. There is no benefit to bringing him back at all and it's obvious this regime won't do it. You're likelier to see Fitz back. 

I don't want Geno back, because I don't think he makes enough of a difference in the future to bypass a loaded draft to see what he can do.  I guarantee you though, he's a better option than Fitz/Petty next year.  I don't know about Hackenberg because his mechanics are still the same, but unless some miracle happens with that, him as well.  Now, that's not saying much at all because the bar is pretty low.   

I rather the Jets go Petty/Hackenberg because they have to see what they have in them, or find another franchise guy.  However, I don't think Geno is this god awful QB that will never be good because he failed throwing to David Nelson and Greg Salas.  

Archived