Jets have to re-sign Geno

Freemanm

13 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

If we sign FITZ.....  I'm gonna root for the Cheaters. 

LOL. I'm picturing a horde of Jets fans looking like the walking dead with pitchforks and torches on Woody's lawn. The Jets can't sign Fizpatrick again. Not for football reasons, not for business reasons, and not for public relations reasons. It would be disastrous.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Yes, the Jets QB situation is this bad. The team basically has no choice but to re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick. Geno sucks and is almost certain to be let go. I'm not that into college football, but even if DeShaun Watson falls to number six, the stats say that he's a turnover machine and wouldn't be ready on starting day. Speaking of turnover machines though, he would still probably be better than Geno. Unless the Jets sign a big name free agent or swing a deal for, say, Mike Glennon, there's really no one left but Fitz. Petty hasn't shown that he's a starter, and as we all know, Hackenburg probably still won't get playing time. 

What other options do we have beyond that? 

The Jets will sign a FA like Glennonn or make a trade for a QB.  Fitz will not be back.

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Paging @Warfish

:)

Lol.

I don't see any chance Geno returns.  He played poorly here, was the last regimes guy, and embarrassed the team, and he feels the team didn't support him or give him his fair chance with weaponz.  Thats a clear-cut "sorry, not interested" on both sides of the ledger.

I see one of two things happening:

1. We sign or trade for a Veteran, and go into 2017 with yet another "Veteran Hold the Fort" starter, with Hack and either Petty or another mid-rounder as the #2/#3.  And yes, Romo and other old "name" QB's are still just hold the fort guys, they're not future franchise QB's, they're guys playing out their string a la Favre.

2. We draft of trade for a young talent.  Glennon, for example, or we draft a #1 pick QB (whomever it may be).  In that case, the starter is either the youn traded talent (say Glennon) with Petty and Hack behind him, or Petty is the temp. starter, Hack the #2, and the Draft Pick the #3, with Hack and the Draft PIck soon to be the #1 when appropriate.

Geno?  No, I see Geno as a "we can fix him" Coaches choice backup elsewhere.  Like Mark Sanchez, he'll get another job, but will continue to devolve and play poorly till he's an afterthought or #3, just like Sanchez. 

10 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

LOL. I'm picturing a horde of Jets fans looking like the walking dead with pitchforks and torches on Woody's lawn. The Jets can't sign Fizpatrick again. Not for football reasons, not for business reasons, and not for public relations reasons. It would be disastrous.

Interestingly....  I typed xPatriotsx.... and it auto changed to cheaters.

never noticed that.  My test...

i am typing the formal name. Cheaters. 

I don't see the Jets bringing him back if I were to be honest. It doesn't mean you can rule it out either. I've said this before but I believe the pros of bringing him back is that he's a young veteran with upside, he's only 6 months older than Petty. He has starting experience. 

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

FITZ had that in the KC game I think. ?

Geno has averaged a turnover ever 16 times he dropped back in his career.

Fitz has averaged a turnover every 19 times he dropped back in his career.

To put both in perspective, Tom Brady averages a turnover every 31 times he drops back.

So stop arguing over which color of sh*t smells the least bad ffs.

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Yes, the Jets QB situation is this bad. The team basically has no choice but to re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick. Geno sucks and is almost certain to be let go. I'm not that into college football, but even if DeShaun Watson falls to number six, the stats say that he's a turnover machine and wouldn't be ready on starting day. Speaking of turnover machines though, he would still probably be better than Geno. Unless the Jets sign a big name free agent or swing a deal for, say, Mike Glennon, there's really no one left but Fitz. Petty hasn't shown that he's a starter, and as we all know, Hackenburg probably still won't get playing time. 

It's all fun and games till he's taking snaps week 1. 

Just now, Warfish said:

Geno has averaged a turnover ever 16 times he dropped back in his career.

Fitz has averaged a turnover every 19 times he dropped back in his career.

To put both in perspective, Tom Brady averages a turnover every 31 times he drops back.

So stop arguing over which color of sh*t smells the least bad ffs.

I'm not......    we agree, it's all shlt.    But I'd rather pay Geno say 1.5 mil and miss the playoffs than pay FITZ anywhere near what he wants and miss the playoffs.  FITZ sucks.....   Geno sucks for 1/5 the price.  

There is a thread that the Jets have to resign Fitz, and now a thread that the Jets have to resign Geno.  Guys, can we please set the bar higher?  There is free agency, there is a trade possibility, there are ways to upgrade this position without recycling what we have had.  I honestly don't get the mentality some times on this board.

6 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I'm not......    we agree, it's all shlt.    But I'd rather pay Geno say 1.5 mil and miss the playoffs than pay FITZ anywhere near what he wants and miss the playoffs.  FITZ sucks.....   Geno sucks for 1/5 the price.  

How about we pay neither, and let Petty, Hack and someone else who may still have a chance at a career play?

This is not a Fitz or Geno choice.

This is a "every available QB currently unemployed, tradeable or available for drafting" choice.

And I don't pick Geno or Fitz with all those other options available.

They're not re-signing Geno or Fitz. They will cut some players and use money to sign imo an established Qb. Probably Petty and Hack will be on the roster with the starter a FA vet. And it won't come cheap but Woody will spend the money for that. 

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How about we pay neither, and let Petty, Hack and someone else who may still have a chance at a career play?

This is not a Fitz or Geno choice.

This is a "every available QB currently unemployed, tradeable or available for drafting" choice.

And I don't pick Geno or Fitz with all those other options available.

I'm good with that too.....

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Geno can choose to sign wheverever he wants.  This is the last place he will sign.  He needs a fresh start.

Lol no definitely most teams wouldn't even want him at a #3. But some would take him at a #3, maybe even have a chance at the #2 at 1 or 2. Jets is the ONLY place he has a chance to start next yr. Which is why he will come back for a one yr deal for peanuts..

9 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Most here over look that point. The Jets don't have very good options at QB. Over paying for one is not an option either. Look at 2016. What a f'n disaster Futz was for all that.money. Furthermore, we have to pay him next season. Dead money counts against the cap.

with Chan retiring, that says a lot about Hack. Macc needs to hit on a QB soon without over paying for a questionable bet. Geno is a safe option that the Jets can lose with (or surprise with) until they find a QB.

It all depends on how they really feel about Hack.  If they believe he's a franchise quarterback but still needs time, sign/aquire a Romo type of "hold the fort" guy.  He's perfect to compete for a year or maybe two.

If they don't believe in Hack, then play Petty and Hack all year and draft someone high.  

52 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Interestingly....  I typed xPatriotsx.... and it auto changed to cheaters.

never noticed that.  My test...

i am typing the formal name. Cheaters. 

True story I'm trying to change it back and remove the word filter but it won't let me.

9 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Yes, the Jets QB situation is this bad. The team basically has no choice but to re-sign Geno Smith. Fitz sucks and is almost certain to be let go. I'm not that into college football, but even if DeShaun Watson falls to number six, the stats say that he's a turnover machine and wouldn't be ready on starting day. Speaking of turnover machines though, he would still probably be better than Fitz. Unless the Jets sign a big name free agent or swing a deal for, say, Mike Glennon, there's really no one left but Smith. Petty hasn't shown that he's a starter, and as we all know, Hackenburg probably still won't get playing time. 

If the goal is to suck so bad that you can tank the season, then by all means keep dumbass Geno.

9 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Yes, the Jets QB situation is this bad. The team basically has no choice but to re-sign Geno Smith. Fitz sucks and is almost certain to be let go. I'm not that into college football, but even if DeShaun Watson falls to number six, the stats say that he's a turnover machine and wouldn't be ready on starting day. Speaking of turnover machines though, he would still probably be better than Fitz. Unless the Jets sign a big name free agent or swing a deal for, say, Mike Glennon, there's really no one left but Smith. Petty hasn't shown that he's a starter, and as we all know, Hackenburg probably still won't get playing time. 

With Fitz gone Geno is the most NFL ready QB on our roster, but our priority is signing a vet to replace Fitz.   If by some miracle we do sign Geno I expect us to move on from Petty.  Petty has had the benefit of two years and hasn't really shown anything short of a big arm. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Lol.

I don't see any chance Geno returns.  He played poorly here, was the last regimes guy, and embarrassed the team, and he feels the team didn't support him or give him his fair chance with weaponz.  Thats a clear-cut "sorry, not interested" on both sides of the ledger.

I see one of two things happening:

1. We sign or trade for a Veteran, and go into 2017 with yet another "Veteran Hold the Fort" starter, with Hack and either Petty or another mid-rounder as the #2/#3.  And yes, Romo and other old "name" QB's are still just hold the fort guys, they're not future franchise QB's, they're guys playing out their string a la Favre.

2. We draft of trade for a young talent.  Glennon, for example, or we draft a #1 pick QB (whomever it may be).  In that case, the starter is either the youn traded talent (say Glennon) with Petty and Hack behind him, or Petty is the temp. starter, Hack the #2, and the Draft Pick the #3, with Hack and the Draft PIck soon to be the #1 when appropriate.

Geno?  No, I see Geno as a "we can fix him" Coaches choice backup elsewhere.  Like Mark Sanchez, he'll get another job, but will continue to devolve and play poorly till he's an afterthought or #3, just like Sanchez. 

Totally agree.

If he had an attitude that didn't suck I would say there would be a 2% chance they would bring him back just out of desperation.

But his attitude blows so if they bring him back they should all be fired on the spot Kama take a chance on another veteran project.

You're right, we're gonna need a stop gap veteran to hold the fort while we develop Petty/Hack. Fitz has elite chemistry with our receivers, he set a Jets TD record last year, and he knows the offense. He's a leader and the guys really fight for him. No brainer!

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

i'm sure they'll explore other options.  but what you say does make a certain sense.  fitz will cost 5m which may be high for a backup but he probably also brings his knowledge of the game.  the jets will have another offensive coordinator and they will ultimately need a vet to understand it assuming that petty and hack can't.  of course i would say this is only an option if they commit to hack starting.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

If we sign FITZ.....  I'm gonna root for the Cheaters. 

Be careful, some idiot here will tell you (like they have told me), not to let the door hit you in the ass" because I am sick of the way this team functions, or dysfunctions.

Meanwhile, I agree with you 100%, except i'll root for the Lions who are the Jets of the NFC anyway.

1 minute ago, KRL said:

No, he burned his bridge with last year's stupid contract holdout.  He thought he was "all that"

missed the entire off-season program and showed his true colors

He was in training camp and never held out. He was without a contract. Can't go to OTAs without a contract. If he had signed the Jets best offer, he'd be on the books another two seasons. But don't let facts get in your way. I heard he also was the cause of the potato famine and the bubonic plague. 

If we sign Geno, I am going to become a fan of a new team, maybe the Eagles. He is awful, and he is an a$$hole to boot. I can deal with awful, but the combo of awful and a$$hole is just too much. Its comical how many fans want this absolutely awful QB back. How about we move on past Geno and Fitzpatrick, who both suck, and try to get a real QB?

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Fitz "best" years were with Gailey as OC and Fitz was pretty terrible this past year.   Now imagine him worse...

Here are 4 better options: 

1. Pay Cousins

2. Nick Foles 

3. Tyrod Taylor 

4. Vinny Testaverde 

Archived