Jump to content
KRL

Tyrod Taylor Thoughts ...


Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hard pass! He cannot see the middle of the field, and he is the drop-off king. He is not able to pass out of the pocket, and he is a total gimmick QB. He is talented enough physically to lead a team to 7-9 to 9-7, but no better than that. He will not beat good teams. He averages less than 200 yards passing per game. He is way too limited a QB to throw the kind of money at that he will get. Absolutely not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys like him are tough to decide on.  He's absolutely a major upgrade to what we have.  However, the goal is to win the Super Bowl.  Is he good enough for that is the question.  I feel the same about Kirk Cousins btw (should he become available - even though we all know he won't be).  Is Cousins good enough to win a Super Bowl?  Of course, it's easy to point to Trent Dilfer but that Ravens D was an all-time great (and in a less restrictive era on D).  I guess the Broncos proved last year it can still be done w/ great D (as Peyton wasn't anything close to what he used to be).  But keep in mind that it's more difficult to put together that type of D when you're paying a QB big bucks (eating into the salary cap).  I would love to just go 0-16 and draft Darnold but obviously there's no guarantee of that happening so Macc is going to have to make a decision before we know if we can draft Darnold.  Tough call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Guys like him are tough to decide on.  He's absolutely a major upgrade to what we have.  However, the goal is to win the Super Bowl.  Is he good enough for that is the question.  I feel the same about Kirk Cousins btw (should he become available - even though we all know he won't be).  Is Cousins good enough to win a Super Bowl?  Of course, it's easy to point to Trent Dilfer but that Ravens D was an all-time great (and in a less restrictive era on D).  I guess the Broncos proved last year it can still be done w/ great D (as Peyton wasn't anything close to what he used to be).  But keep in mind that it's more difficult to put together that type of D when you're paying a QB big bucks (eating into the salary cap).  I would love to just go 0-16 and draft Darnold but obviously there's no guarantee of that happening so Macc is going to have to make a decision before we know if we can draft Darnold.  Tough call.

Taylor with our receivers and an improved defense is good enough to win a Super Bowl.

 

But don't worry guys, I'm almost positive we end up with the dynamic duo of Petty/Hack and endure another 4-12 season next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, KRL said:

It's looking like BUF is not going to pick up his option and he'll become a free agent:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/06/report-bills-planning-move-taylor/

Yes, the Jets should go after him because he's WAY better than anything we have on the 
roster and would significantly improve the position.  But for those who think he "matches
his stats", don't be deceived:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14163/tyrod-taylor

After scouting him this season he has pros but some significant cons:

Pros

- Strong, accurate arm on deep vertical routes
- Excellent runner and very elusive to make things happen when a play breaks down
- Doesn't turn the ball over

Cons

- Doesn't stay in the pocket unless he has max protection
- One read QB, if it's covered he looks to leave the pocket immediately
- Doesn't throw the ball into the middle of the field.  Either because he's short
or doesn't read defenses well.  Therefore he only throws outside the numbers
- His intermediate accuracy isn't great, he "dirts" a lot of easy throws
- Small frame

He's only been a starter for two years, can an OC and a QB coach develop him further?
Possibly, but don't think he's a finished product because he's not

He had no receivers last year.  He can actually read defenses and throw deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

any free agent QB with some worth is probably going to get overpaid. if you sign a taylor or glennon you are likely going to have to give a larger contract. With a larger contract comes commitment to that QB. if you do that, then there is no QB competition next year in camp. i would think ideally you want that competition since next season is looking like a rebuild. And 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RESNewYork said:

any free agent QB with some worth is probably going to get overpaid. if you sign a taylor or glennon you are likely going to have to give a larger contract. if you do that, then there is no QB competition next year in camp. i would think ideally you want that competition since next season is looking like a rebuild

Petty is at best a JAG and Hack is a horrible bust.  Time to move on boys c'mon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thadude said:

Petty is at best a JAG and Hack is a horrible bust.  Time to move on boys c'mon.

maybe. what if hack or petty comes back from the off season much improved. are the jets a team ready to hitch their wagon to taylor or glennon long term? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RESNewYork said:

maybe. what if hack or petty comes back from the off season much improved. are the jets a team ready to hitch their wagon to taylor or glennon long term? 

Neither one is improving.  Petty is what he is a one-read qb with a strong arm but if you can't make reads you're not going to do much in the nfl.  Hackenberg is a waste of time.

 

And no, we don't need to see Hackenberg stink up the joint in 48 regular season games in order to figure that out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JetPotato said:

If I have to watch another one-tead QB, I'm done. .

You are so wrong about that.  Taylor is not just another one-read qb he actually goes through progressions he just had WR's with names like Marquise Goodwin and Robert Woods last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Good point about the injury. I wasn't for signing Mo not because he isn't a good player but because he had an injury late last season and you don't give big money until a guy proves he can still play. So maybe sign him to a one year deal with an option but that probably won't get it done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Good point about the injury. I wasn't for signing Mo not because he isn't a good player but because he had an injury late last season and you don't give big money until a guy proves he can still play. So maybe sign him to a one year deal with an option but that probably won't get it done. 

If Taylor fails his physical in March he's a Bill next season because of the clause in his current contract so his health is a moot issue.

 

Mo sucked this year because he didn't have Snacks next to him eating up blockers and he also quit on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's better than anything we have on the roster presently but his ceiling is basically where he is right now. There's no reason to pay a premium to get a game or two shy of the playoffs when you could stick in somebody cheaper and already on the roster to do the same thing.

If we had a roster like Denver who is an average QB away from playoff contention then I'd say let's go for it. Denver wouldn't be an awful place for him to go but I feel fairly confident Elway does not want another Tebow-like QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roll with the guys we have. People are not seeing the rare opportunity to be bad next year when their are so many great QB options that are possible for 2018. This is why it's good to keep Bowles. If we suck no problem it might finally land us our franchise QB. If he's good then great, there's nothing wrong with him turning it around  

im gonna pass on any option that puts us back in the lets go 8-8 because I can't handle a bad season mentality. Tyrod Taylor would be a band aid to make the fans feel better but would prevent us from the real rebuild this team desperately needs. This is a rare opportunity to do the rebuild right and I want to take it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KRL said:

It's looking like BUF is not going to pick up his option and he'll become a free agent:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/06/report-bills-planning-move-taylor/

Yes, the Jets should go after him because he's WAY better than anything we have on the 
roster and would significantly improve the position.  But for those who think he "matches
his stats", don't be deceived:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14163/tyrod-taylor

After scouting him this season he has pros but some significant cons:

Pros

- Strong, accurate arm on deep vertical routes
- Excellent runner and very elusive to make things happen when a play breaks down
- Doesn't turn the ball over

Cons

- Doesn't stay in the pocket unless he has max protection
- One read QB, if it's covered he looks to leave the pocket immediately
- Doesn't throw the ball into the middle of the field.  Either because he's short
or doesn't read defenses well.  Therefore he only throws outside the numbers
- His intermediate accuracy isn't great, he "dirts" a lot of easy throws
- Small frame

He's only been a starter for two years, can an OC and a QB coach develop him further?
Possibly, but don't think he's a finished product because he's not

No thanks I've seen enough of 1 read QB's, and I hope he can't pass his physical in March after his surgery keeping the Bills on the hook for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets Geno Smith walk, some fans still pine for him.

Same fans now want to sign Tyrod Taylor, Geno Smith II

Same Old Jets (Fans).

Psst, the old Mike Vick style of running QB has been figured out, especially when the running QB's are bad throwers a la Geno.Tyrod.  

And neither Geno nor Tyrod hold to a candle to what Vick was.

How about we look forward instead of trying to relive someone else's 1990's Glory Days?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thadude said:

If Taylor fails his physical in March he's a Bill next season because of the clause in his current contract so his health is a moot issue.

 

Mo sucked this year because he didn't have Snacks next to him eating up blockers and he also quit on the team.

I disagree about Mo. McLendon is a decent player but injured a lot. And NT while important isn't going to affect the play of a good pass rusher. I mean after Woolfork left NEP their defense didn't fall apart. To me Mo's problems was mostly health related plus the entire defense played badly most of the season. In spurts they would play very well and had stops but there were just too many breakdowns and big plays. Also attitude and discipline problems. I was surprised to hear after getting paid that Mo copped a bad attitude. I always through he was a good team player. Injuries are one thing but not listening to coaches and following rules is another. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thadude said:

You are so wrong about that.  Taylor is not just another one-read qb he actually goes through progressions he just had WR's with names like Marquise Goodwin and Robert Woods last year.

Oh. Even better. I'll be watching a lame one-read QB AND still listening to other Jets fans excuse him for having "No Weaponz".

Kill me now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyrod is interesting. He's shown flashes of potential decent ball security but it definitely not a finished product. I have 0 confidence in this CS to develop him further so if he is brought in we must must must spend as much money and draft picks as possible to build the best possible oline and establish a run game. When Sanchez was here all his job entailed was not turning the ball over while Thomas Jones rushed for 50348348r743342209303 yards and 15 tds behind a great oline. Tyrod has shown he can limit turnovers but without a good oline in front of him he's going to scramble 20 times a game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NO. We need to see what we have in Hack and Petty after they are given significant reps and a full offseason with new OC and QB coach. Hack is NOT a bust yet, and Petty showed flashes of being good. But idiots on this board want to bring back Fitz or sign Glennon so it just shows you have brain dead most opinions are here. I do know this though. Whatever the right decision is, the Jets will not make it. AND Macc and Bowles are effectively lame ducks so there is NO WAY they will make the right long term decisions for this team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×