Personnel guys weigh in on Zeke vs. Fournette

AFJF

While I'm hoping for a QB...Fournette is one of the few RB's I wouldn't hate to see the Jets take in the first round this season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000769553/article/ask-5-which-rb-do-you-prefer-ezekiel-elliott-or-fournette

As we enter the final week of the college football season, it's time to start focusing our attention on the 2017 NFL Draft. LSU running back Leonard Fournette is expected to be one of the marquee players in this year's draft class -- he announced his intentions to enter the draft last month. Despite an injury plagued junior season, Fournette is still viewed as one of the best players at his position to enter the draft in the last decade.

The top running back from last year's draft class just wrapped up an unbelievably successful regular season. Ezekiel Elliott led the league in rushing and earned a Pro Bowl berth in his inaugural season with the Cowboys. So, which player would NFL executives rather have on their roster, Elliott or Fournette? I reached out to five execs to find out whom they would choose. Here are their answers.

Executive 1: Fournette
"Fournette is faster and he can hold his speed longer than Elliott. Elliott was further along as a blocker and receiver at Ohio State, but I thought Fournette made some small improvements in those areas this year."

Executive 2: Elliott
"Zeke is more versatile and would fit in any offense. Fournette is a stronger, more violent runner but there is more uncertainty with him, mainly pass protection. By the way, look at Zeke's numbers vs. Alabama and compare them to Fournette's."

Executive 3: Fournette
"I really like Elliott, but Fournette is an animal. Guys like him don't come around very often."

Executive 4: Elliott
"Fournette is a physical stud, but Zeke is just a better all-around football player."

Executive 5: Fournette
"You don't see guys with Fournette's size/speed combination very often. He's a rare, rare talent. He's the most talented runner to come out since Adrian Peterson."

Summary: That's three votes for Fournette and two for Elliott.

Conclusion: This is one of those debates that really comes down to what you're looking for in a player. I think everyone agrees Elliott is the more versatile player, while also agreeing Fournette has superior power/speed combination. If you want to really want to feature your running back in the passing game, I think Elliott makes more sense. However, if you are looking for a physical identity, Fournette is the perfect choice. Unfortunately for Fournette, he won't have a chance to run behind the best offensive line in football -- that job is already taken.

Follow Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter at @MoveTheSticks.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, AFJF said:

While I'm hoping for a QB...Fournette is one of the few RB's I wouldn't hate to see the Jets take in the first round this season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000769553/article/ask-5-which-rb-do-you-prefer-ezekiel-elliott-or-fournette

As we enter the final week of the college football season, it's time to start focusing our attention on the 2017 NFL Draft. LSU running back Leonard Fournette is expected to be one of the marquee players in this year's draft class -- he announced his intentions to enter the draft last month. Despite an injury plagued junior season, Fournette is still viewed as one of the best players at his position to enter the draft in the last decade.

ryepFOFy5fu1agI9XH71RbRWRrDmHOhrfLYrx9nd

This plugin is not supported

The top running back from last year's draft class just wrapped up an unbelievably successful regular season. Ezekiel Elliott led the league in rushing and earned a Pro Bowl berth in his inaugural season with the Cowboys. So, which player would NFL executives rather have on their roster, Elliott or Fournette? I reached out to five execs to find out whom they would choose. Here are their answers.

Executive 1: Fournette
"Fournette is faster and he can hold his speed longer than Elliott. Elliott was further along as a blocker and receiver at Ohio State, but I thought Fournette made some small improvements in those areas this year."

Executive 2: Elliott
"Zeke is more versatile and would fit in any offense. Fournette is a stronger, more violent runner but there is more uncertainty with him, mainly pass protection. By the way, look at Zeke's numbers vs. Alabama and compare them to Fournette's."

Executive 3: Fournette
"I really like Elliott, but Fournette is an animal. Guys like him don't come around very often."

Executive 4: Elliott
"Fournette is a physical stud, but Zeke is just a better all-around football player."

Executive 5: Fournette
"You don't see guys with Fournette's size/speed combination very often. He's a rare, rare talent. He's the most talented runner to come out since Adrian Peterson."

Summary: That's three votes for Fournette and two for Elliott.

Conclusion: This is one of those debates that really comes down to what you're looking for in a player. I think everyone agrees Elliott is the more versatile player, while also agreeing Fournette has superior power/speed combination. If you want to really want to feature your running back in the passing game, I think Elliott makes more sense. However, if you are looking for a physical identity, Fournette is the perfect choice. Unfortunately for Fournette, he won't have a chance to run behind the best offensive line in football -- that job is already taken.

Follow Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter at @MoveTheSticks.

If you want to run your offense the way the Vikings have since they drafted AP then you want Fournette, but if you want to be versatile, and actually play offense the way it's played in the current NFL you want Elliot, and for that matter I'd take Dalvin Cook over Fournette this draft.

The Jets don't have the offensive line to make use of Fournette, while Zeke can succeed in other ways then a Fournette can.

The biggest comment from those execs was look at the numbers both put up vs Alabama I think it's a great point, and a telling stat.

I'm cool with Fournette, but I've come around to Cook more.

I'd be cool with either though. Although most fans are gonna be pissed since we'll be taking an RB in the 1st and people like following the bs rhetoric spewed by the media and others about how you shouldn't take a back in the 1st based on some stupid principle

7 minutes ago, King P said:

I'd be cool with either though. Although most fans are gonna be pissed since we'll be taking an RB in the 1st and people like following the bs rhetoric spewed by the media and others about how you shouldn't take a back in the 1st based on some stupid principle

It's not based on a principle, it's based on stats, trends, and years of drafts. You're just as likely to find a top running back in the NFL in a middle round as you are the first. Of the top running backs in terms of yardage this season, the overwhelming majority were not first round picks. It just is bad business and a poor allocation of resources. 

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Our foundation is

Hackenberg

Ijalana

Mauldin

Please don't draft RB round 1

Oh my god, is that scary LOL

On second thought, we do need a little star power here, no? Someone to get us a little excited I mean? I could live with picking a RB like Fournette only because this franchise is devoid of star power type talent and totally devoid of game changers where the opponent has to specifically game plan to stop him.

7 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Oh my god, is that scary LOL

On second thought, we do need a little star power here, no? Someone to get us a little excited I mean? I could live with picking a RB like Fournette only because this franchise is devoid of star power type talent and totally devoid of game changers where the opponent has to specifically game plan to stop him.

my concern would be wasting his first 1-2 years on a cheap rookie deal and then really only getting 2 years out of him before you have to pay him. Look at peterson. they all break down.  You are screwed if they break down after you pay them. We actually had our hands on Michael this year, but let him slip away.  He looks like the real deal , lol

I say focus on the pillars, QB, LT, pass rusher and focus on the draft.  Only sign FA to fill out the roster.  I'm totally ok with a start over, just in the right order

QB, LT, pass rush

You don't take running backs in the first two rounds. RBS are a dime a dozen and more giant on the online than any talent.

Pass

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Mark his words.^ Cook's style of play transitions better to the pros. He will have a long career. He sees holes just as good or better than Fournette

I agree but not at #6.  A trade down maybe.

It looks like we can't go wrong with Cook or Fournette. I would be happy with both of them at #6. 

People need to keep in mind that we are going to have a ton of money in free agency to fix a lot of holes. If we manage to plug some holes with young, effective free agents then adding somebody like Cook or Fournette to build your team around will make complete sense.

9 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

It looks like we can't go wrong with Cook or Fournette. I would be happy with both of them at #6. 

People need to keep in mind that we are going to have a ton of money in free agency to fix a lot of holes. If we manage to plug some holes with young, effective free agents then adding somebody like Cook or Fournette to build your team around will make complete sense.

We will have big spending money if Mac can man up and get these vets out of here. 

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

All arrows point towards that being the case. I'm looking forward to it

Same here. But I hope he does the entire job as gets rid of all of them instead of 1-3 of them. Marshall will end up staying. He is willing to restructure his contract so he won't be an issue..But the rest need to be released. 

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Fournette is exactly the opposite type of player the Jets should be targeting at running back. His style of play and injury history makes him a huge question mark and not worth a top ten pick to a team that has massive holes elsewhere. 

Yes the Jets should be targeting soft useless plugs at RB. The best friend for a young QB is a RB who can move the pile . Of course the Jets will go with a veteran stiff at QB and a 5'7 change of pace back. But Jets fans will be happy because that 1st round pick will be used on the defense once again. Maybe we can go with an 11 man all DT defense next season. 

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

If you want to run your offense the way the Vikings have since they drafted AP then you want Fournette, but if you want to be versatile, and actually play offense the way it's played in the current NFL you want Elliot, and for that matter I'd take Dalvin Cook over Fournette this draft.

The Jets don't have the offensive line to make use of Fournette, while Zeke can succeed in other ways then a Fournette can.

The biggest comment from those execs was look at the numbers both put up vs Alabama I think it's a great point, and a telling stat.

With one big fat overlook. Put Urban Meyer in Baton Rouge and put Les Miles/Orgeron in Columbus . Then tell me that Fournette can't succeed against Bama. Bama stacked 10 men in the box against Fournette every game but the LSU HC's were either too stubborn or stupid to try and make them pay for it by actually passing the football. 

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yes the Jets should be targeting soft useless plugs at RB. The best friend for a young QB is a RB who can move the pile . Of course the Jets will go with a veteran stiff at QB and a 5'7 change of pace back. But Jets fans will be happy because that 1st round pick will be used on the defense once again. Maybe we can go with an 11 man all DT defense next season. 

I laughed at this. It was meant to be funny right?

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

All you have to do is look at the defenses Fournette made his hay against and the defenses he did squat against and the story will be told . He's big and fast, but that's it .  

The only team he didn't produce against was Bama and they stacked the box with 10 men. 

Archived