Calvin Pryor article worth reading

Pac

Regardless of what you think about his play on Sundays his willingness to share some of his Christmas day with a stranger is commendable.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/calvin-pryor-brings-joy-jets-fan-teen-died-cancer-article-1.2938043

A surprise hospital visit from Calvin Pryor brought Aedan Wall and his family some joy and happiness on Christmas.

The 19-year-old Jersey Shore resident passed away on Tuesday following an eight-month battle with rhabdomyosarcoma, a rare and aggressive form of tissue/bone cancer. But not before Pryor’s Christmas visit put one more smile on the face of Wall, a lifelong Jets fan.

The hard-hitting Jets safety sat with Wall for an hour and a half at Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, lifting his spirits, signing a few autographs and talking about life.

“It was Christmas Day, things weren’t looking good and it was really sad. It could’ve been a really, really terrible day,” Aedan’s older brother, 22-year-old Liam Wall, said.

“But for Calvin to take time out of his Christmas and spend some time with us, it meant the world. Aedan loved it. It was one of the last times I saw him really excited and truly happy.”

Pryor had one of his best performances of the year a week later, tipping a pass that led to an interception by Darrelle Revis late in New York’s 30-10 season-ending victory over Buffalo. Aedan Wall was heavily medicated during the game, but his family let him know each and every time Pryor made a play as they watched on television from his hospital room.

“That was for you Aedan...great team win,” Pryor tweeted, dedicating his performance to Wall.

Liam Wall said Aedan shed a tear when he learned of the dedication.

He passed away two days later.

“In the clouds, I’ll meet you again my brother. It takes a strong, determine individual to deal with cancer. You fought each an every day, but now all the pain & hurt is gone. I don’t consider many people special in my life, but #Aedan def holds a soft spot in my heart. Rest Easy,” Pryor wrote on Instagram upon hearing the sad news.

Liam Wall said Pryor also texted his condolences to the family.

Before being diagnosed with cancer in late April, Aedan Wall was attending Brookdale Community College in Monmouth County, N.J., and working part-time at a local supermarket.

His older brother said Aedan’s main passions were politics and weightlifting, and he hoped to become a competitive bodybuilder. In high school at Christian Brothers Academy he played a variety of sports, including football, crew, rugby and wrestling.

Around Thanksgiving, doctors informed the family that Aedan Wall’s body had stopped responding to chemotherapy and radiation treatments as the cancer continued to spread.

He was too old to participate in the Make-A-Wish foundation, so his friend Andrew’s sister, Lindsey Schwartz, reached out to various Jets fan blogs to see if she could make something special happen. Jason Koeppel, who runs nyjetsfans.com, responded by reaching out to a couple players he knew via text before Pryor agreed to visit.

“To be able to help make somebody that sick so happy was one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had in my life and I know Calvin was deeply touched as well,” Koeppel wrote on Facebook.

Aedan Wall’s best friend, Zach Tretler, informed him Pryor would be coming by the hospital on Christmas morning.

“He couldn’t believe it at first,” Liam Wall said. “He’s like, ‘Are you serious?’ And he started crying and then smiling. His whole demeanor changed. He was struggling to get food and water down, but he started eating again and drinking again.

“I can’t say enough good things about Calvin. He was completely supportive. There’s not enough words to describe what my family is going through right now. It’s just tough.”

A GoFundMe account for Aedan Wall has raised nearly $40,000. A funeral mass will be held on Saturday morning at St. Benedict’s Roman Catholic Church in Holmdel, N.J. 

Archived