Mitch Trubisky.. Deshaun Watson.. should jets draft QB in 2017 ? ? ?

kelly

Not that there was ever much doubt, but North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky on Monday declared for the NFL Draft. 

Though this is considered a fairly weak quarterback draft class, most analysts put Trubisky atop it. Is he worthy of being drafted in the top five? Maybe. Maybe not. But because of the importance of the quarterback position, he probably will be.

Which brings us to the Jets, who draft at No. 6. Will Trubisky and/or Clemson's Deshaun Watson be around at No. 6? And if so, will the Jets draft a quarterback

They just drafted Christian Hackenberg in Round 2 last year, but he is a raw project player and the jury is still way out on whether he can be a legit NFL quarterback. He has done nothing to prove it so far, but he hasn't played, either. 

Trubisky, Watson, and Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer are considered the top three quarterbacks available this year -- at least according to CBSSports.com. It would be a stunner, at this point, if another quarterback -- like Miami's Brad Kaaya -- went in the top 10. 

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan has, to date, staked a large portion of his reputation with this franchise to the Hackenberg pick. But there's nothing that says Maccagnan can't draft another quarterback high in 2017.If he does, that obviously means the Jets are nowhere close to sold on Hackenberg. They'd essentially be pulling the plug on him awfully soon after drafting him. 

Then there's the matter of the five teams in front of the Jets -- the Browns, 49ers, Bears, Jaguars, and Titans. Those top three teams definitely could draft a quarterback.The Jaguars haven't gotten a lot out of Blake Bortles so far, through three seasons. But he hasn't looked like a total bust. And the Titans have Marcus Mariota, so they're not drafting a quarterback.By the time the Jets select at No. 6 (presuming they stay there), Trubisky and Watson could be off the board. 

Ultimately, it would be surprising if Maccagnan drafts a quarterback at No. 6 -- or trades up to pick one.Expect him to sign a veteran quarterback this offseason -- like Tyrod Taylor, Mike Glennon, or Brian Hoyer -- and put that guy in the Jets' 2017 quarterback room with Hackenberg and Bryce Petty, who is entering Year 3 and remains unproven. 

In the meantime, you can watch Watson -- and eight other potential Jets draft prospects -- in Monday night's college football national championship game between Clemson and Alabama

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/01/mitch_trubisky_deshaun_watson_will_jets_draft_qb_i.html#incart_river_index

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The early debate surrounding the best quarterback eligible for the 2017 NFL draft has centered around the likes of Clemson’s Deshaun Watson and Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer, with Miami’s Brad Kaaya mixed in from time to time.But there’s a new name emerging as the 2016 college football season moves along: North Carolina’s Mitch Trubisky.

He’s caught the eye of many national analysts in recent weeks, including ESPN’s Mel Kiper, who recently ranked Trubisky as the top quarterback on his latest Big Board (subscription required).

What does Kiper like about the Tar Heel signal-caller?

Welcome to the Big Board, Mitch Trubisky. He’s my new No. 1 quarterback. I’ve been looking for a QB to make the leap this season, and I found it in Trubisky, who has been the best signal-caller in the country — yes, that includes Louisville’s Lamar Jackson, who has missed too many throws overall. Trubisky (6-3, 220) is completing 71.2 percent of his passes in his first season as the full-time starter, even with the nightmare game while playing in Hurricane Matthew in which he was just 13-of-33. He has 18 touchdown passes and only two interceptions. He throws a nice ball, has some touch and velocity, and is mobile, too. He has four rushing touchdowns.

From a physical and statistical standpoint, there’s plenty to like about Trubisky. His biggest downfall at the moment is a lack of starting experience (just eight career starts). Watson (27) and Kaaya (32) have a truckload of starts under their belt by comparison, while Kizer has a similar lack of experience thanks to a seemingly constant competition with Malik Zaire in South Bend.

Kiper doesn’t seem to be a fan of this year’s potential quarterback class compared to the rest of the available talent, as Trubisky comes in at No. 14 overall on his board. The next-highest passer in his rankings? Watson, who barely sneaked into the rankings at No. 25.Kizer, Kaaya and Washington State’s Luke Falk round out Kiper’s top five quarterbacks.

Quarterbacks have been chosen with the top two picks in each of the last two drafts. Will that trend end in 2017, or will a couple of these passers rise up the board and claim the top spots come next April?

>      http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/10/28/mel-kiper-north-carolinas-mitch-trubisky-top-qb-for-2017-nfl-draft/

~ ~ 2. Who are the quarterbacks we'll be talking about on the first night of the draft?

Kiper: There's really only one guy right now, and he might not even enter the draft. That's North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky, a fourth-year junior who is in his first season as the starter. Trubisky has thrown 28 touchdown passes to only four interceptions, but he's still green -- with another year of seasoning, he could be the No. 1 pick in the 2018 draft. He's not ready to play right away in the NFL.

I don't see any other first-rounders in the group. Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer, a third-year sophomore, has to go back to school. Clemson's Deshaun Watson has taken a step back this season. Underclassmen Luke Falk and Patrick Mahomes could use another year in school, and they don't project as first-rounders.I wouldn't say it's likely, but there's a chance no quarterback goes in the first round. The last time that happened was 1996.

3. Would you go so far as to call this a bad QB class, Todd?

McShay: I'll say this: It's not a great year to be drafting early and needing a quarterback. There's some depth (depending on how many underclassmen declare), but I don't see any elite prospects among those I've reviewed so far. My top five quarterbacks are all underclassmen -- and I hope most of them return to school (Watson, my No. 2 QB, has already declared). Mel is right, Kizer needs another year. Trubisky has only 12 starts. Miami's Brad Kaaya can continue to get bigger/stronger. Falk comes with too many questions ranging from system to frame.

14 minutes ago, jetscanes331 said:

Watched a lot of UNC this season. Hard pass on this guy as a QB. Looked like garbage once his top WR went down midway through the season. Doesnt look like an NFL QB to me.

Same. Watson looks like the best QB of the crop, but his ceiling looks rather low to me. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

If those are my choices, Watson.  No question about it.

I might agree, but I don't think I would want to bring Watson into this climate . That kid needs some time to get acclimated to the pro game, and these folks have no patience.

30 minutes ago, bitonti said:

beggars cant be choosers

Tell em again Bit, and you best believe, we're beggars . We have no QB folks, and if I had anything to do with it, whoever looks worst after the OTAs between Petty and Hackenberg is off the roster .

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Tell em again Bit, and you best believe, we're beggars . We have no QB folks, and if I had anything to do with it, whoever looks worst after the OTAs between Petty and Hackenberg is our 2017 starting QB!

Fixed

There are no QBs in this draft for the jets. At least not in the first round.

If anyone had the goods, one of the 3 QB needy teams ahead of the jets would be all over the guy, and frankly if those 3 teams pass on a QB, I want nothing to do with him either.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Fixed

Ulterior motive is understood, but we could start Trubisky and probably accomplish the exact same objective . If he surprises,  then we can go about building our team with the draft picks we can acquire from trading the pick away.

Win win as I see it.

2 minutes ago, jetscanes331 said:

If anyone had the goods, one of the 3 QB needy teams ahead of the jets would be all over the guy, and frankly if those 3 teams pass on a QB, I want nothing to do with him either.

I tend to agree, but the Niners/Bears/Browns passing on a QB isn't exactly proof that the QBs aren't good enough. Those teams don't have much of a  history of drafting franchise QBs (assuming we ignore the Niners drafting Montana and the Browns drafting Kosar). 

I'm going to assume the Jags are not done with Bortles and the Titans are ok with Mariota. 

4 minutes ago, jetscanes331 said:

How many teams passed on Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Derek Carr , and last yr Dax Prescott .  To be honest, I would have passed on Dax Prescott for 6 rounds because I didn't think much of him. I didn't think much of Jared Goff either, for what it's worth .

I hope not. If you draft a Qb and start him then you're in a rebuilding process and probably won't win in 2017. If you go in a different direction and use that high pick to plug up weaknesses like on the o-line and sign a vet Qb then maybe we can compete. I'm of the opinion that we have talent on this team and 2016 was just a bad year. With good work from the FO and better coaching I think we're a lot better team in '17.

12 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

How many teams passed on Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Derek Carr , and last yr Dax Prescott .  To be honest, I would have passed on Dax Prescott for 6 rounds because I didn't think much of him. I didn't think much of Jared Goff either, for what it's worth .

I agree with that for sure, but my gut feeling is that if those QB thirsty teams find reasons not to take these guys, there's gotta be a glaring reason why. It's not like the jets have a history of outsmarting conventional wisdom.

1 minute ago, jetscanes331 said:

I agree with that for sure, but my gut feeling is that if those QB thirsty teams find reasons not to take these guys, there's gotta be a glaring reason why. It's not like the jets have a history of outsmarting conventional wisdom.

Listen if we're on the clock, and no QB has been selected yet, and the Jets are interested in drafting a QB you have to trade back at 6, OR take BPA at 6, and trade back into the 1st to grab the QB.

I for one hope the Jets draft the best OT available, then draft another OL in the 2nd so the Jets just need to sign 2 great OL guys come 2018 to protect Darnold.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Listen if we're on the clock, and no QB has been selected yet, and the Jets are interested in drafting a QB you have to trade back at 6, OR take BPA at 6, and trade back into the 1st to grab the QB.

I for one hope the Jets draft the best OT available, then draft another OL in the 2nd so the Jets just need to sign 2 great OL guys come 2018 to protect Darnold.

I'm with you until darnold. Idk why everyone hypes him up so much. He's started exactly as much college football as Sanchez did at USC.

Even as a RS soph I think there's also 0 chance he comes out next year. 

2 minutes ago, jetscanes331 said:

The best Player in this draft right now is Probably Myles Garrett unless he does something dumb before the draft . He's an edge rusher par excellence . The Browns have a decision to make here . The next best Player is probably Bama's Allen, so Chicago has a choice to make .  The Jags have a QB and the Titans have Marriota, so what's the problem here . 

If the Jets pass on both Trubisky and Watson, they deserve to stay where they are . Hackenberg should not prevent anyone from taking one of these QBs and none of these QBs should prevent anyone from taking a Sam Darnold in the spring of 2018 unless Franchise Potential is unearthed .

1 minute ago, KRL said:

This really is a silly question, until the Jets find a QB who can handle the position you continue to look

under every rock for one.  So if there's one in this draft you take him

My feeling, just based on the scouting reports we've seen so far and my own very untrained eye, is that there isn't a QB worth taking at 6... Maybe later on again? Maybe a guy like Davis Webb in the 4th or 5th? Or even way later like Tyler Stewart? There might even be a chance to grab a few undrafted FAs too.

I have no idea but it just seems like this might be the weakest QB class in the last few years. Next year -should- be better... But of course since everyone's saying that, this class will probably be amazing. 

1 hour ago, jetscanes331 said:

Watched a lot of UNC this season. Hard pass on this guy as a QB. Looked like garbage once his top WR went down midway through the season. Doesnt look like an NFL QB to me.

Was that Mack Hollins?  Watching those highlights, my first thought was "What round #13 is going in?"

4 minutes ago, jetscanes331 said:

Yup. That's the guy. Broke the clavicle in the Miami game and trubisky wasn't the same after.

threw 14 TDs and 2 INts w/ Hollins(6+ games), 16 TDs and 4 INts w/o him(6+ games)

I agree he didn't look as good even though the #s are similar but he still played well w/o him.  he had the one terrible game in the hurricane vs. Va tech and hollins played in that game.

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

threw 14 TDs and 2 INts w/ Hollins(6+ games), 16 TDs and 4 INts w/o him(6+ games)

I agree he didn't look as good even though the #s are similar but he still played well w/o him.  he had the one terrible game in the hurricane vs. Va tech and hollins played in that game.

Fair points but the first half of the schedule was also remarkably tougher. Pitt FSU Vatech . Best team they played after was GT. they lost to a bad NC state team and he looked like garbage vs. stanford in the bowl game.

put it another way if Hackenberg is really the truth, he should be able to compete with a draft pick and win 

I'm sick of the Jets rigging these Qb "competitions" from the owners box. Draft a guy, sign a vet, keep petty and hack and throw them all together, may the best man win. 

Archived