Mitch Trubisky.. Deshaun Watson.. should jets draft QB in 2017 ? ? ?

kelly

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, kelly said:

Ultimately, it would be surprising if Maccagnan drafts a quarterback at No. 6 -- or trades up to pick one.Expect him to sign a veteran quarterback this offseason -- like Tyrod Taylor, Mike Glennon, or Brian Hoyer -- and put that guy in the Jets' 2017 quarterback room with Hackenberg and Bryce Petty, who is entering Year 3 and remains unproven. 

I hope not. I hope Leonard Fournette is the pick and then the Jets can take Roderick Johnson OT, in round two and Kaaya in round three. I hope the Jets sign a veteran at a good price - either Glennon or preferably Taylor - because I think Petty will be cut and Hack is doubtful to ever be ready. I think he may have taken a shower with Sandusky on a high school visit.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

put it another way if Hackenberg is really the truth, he should be able to compete with a draft pick and win 

I'm sick of the Jets rigging these Qb "competitions" from the owners box. Draft a guy, sign a vet, keep petty and hack and throw them all together, may the best man win. 

Petty hasn't shown me anything. Pulls the ball down and looks at the rush instead of his receivers. I think he is toast.

Trade down and draft Dalvin Cook. Use 2nd and 3rd rounders on OL and then go for bap in later rounds. Due to the poor quality available at the skill positions in this draft OL are going to be drafted at or above their projected slots. The Jets have their work cut out for them IMO. That doesn't give me a lot of confidence going in but I am hoping to be surprised.

Hypothetical: let's say we draft Trubisky and we end up w/ the worst record in football this year.  Do we then draft Darnold?  Or is that unheard of to draft a QB that high 2 consecutive years?  For argument's sake, let's say Trubisky shows potential.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I really can't wait for them to draft a solid defensive player that will be okay but missing out on 2-3 franchise QBs because they have Hackenberg. That's pretty much how this franchise operates, regardless of regime. 

Yes we need to draft a Strong Safety over Carr and Bridgewater, because we have Geno Smith..

I usually don't let one game sample sizes determine much in my analysis.. but vs. Alabama for the Title? Watson can certainly improve his stock tonight. I still see a lot of Dak in his game in terms of prospects. Has a lot of tools but is a thrower instead of passer sometimes and loses accuracy because of that. Don't see him as a gunslinger or Mike Vick runner, but a good QB if you give him weapons and a line.

40 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Hypothetical: let's say we draft Trubisky and we end up w/ the worst record in football this year.  Do we then draft Darnold?  Or is that unheard of to draft a QB that high 2 consecutive years?  For argument's sake, let's say Trubisky shows potential.

Ransom the pick then to see what is the best offer. You have 13 minutes to tell 31 other teams to P11s  off unless someone wants to mortgage they ranch .

10 hours ago, jetscanes331 said:

There are no QBs in this draft for the jets. At least not in the first round.

If anyone had the goods, one of the 3 QB needy teams ahead of the jets would be all over the guy, and frankly if those 3 teams pass on a QB, I want nothing to do with him either.

This is what lead to Carr and Bridgewater getting passed on. Really want the Jets to draft Mahommes though. He's going to shoot up boards though, and probably goes mid to late first. We should take Fournette and then trade up for Mahomes, guy will be good. Awful mechanics, but his arm talent is both strong and accurate that he get's away it. He's an all around better version/more talented version of Manziel without the off field problems Manziel has. Also, gave up baseball to play football so you know he loves the game.

12 hours ago, Mecca said:

I usually don't let one game sample sizes determine much in my analysis.. but vs. Alabama for the Title? Watson can certainly improve his stock tonight. I still see a lot of Dak in his game in terms of prospects. Has a lot of tools but is a thrower instead of passer sometimes and loses accuracy because of that. Don't see him as a gunslinger or Mike Vick runner, but a good QB if you give him weapons and a line.

Nostradamus posts here. 

Someone who watches CFB please explain the knocks on Watson to me.  What I've seen from him in limited looks is accuracy, toughness in the pocket, timely running, a sufficiently strong arm, and no back-down in pressure situations.  Kind of reminds me of Russel Wilson in that sense.  What's the knock?

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Someone who watches CFB please explain the knocks on Watson to me.  What I've seen from him in limited looks is accuracy, toughness in the pocket, timely running, a sufficiently strong arm, and no back-down in pressure situations.  Kind of reminds me of Russel Wilson in that sense.  What's the knock?

Accuracy & eluding the pocket too early 

5 hours ago, New York Mick said:

No it's not. Drafting a sh*tty QB early because you're  desperate and passing on a potential pro bowler is stupid. 

Outside of DL take the BPA. 

Thanks, I didn't want to say it....

17 hours ago, naturalscience said:

Stands tall in the pocket. Has awarenes in the pocket. Adequate arm strength. Goes through progressions. 70%completion. Tends to throw off his front foot. Misses putting it in stride on some open receivers. Overall me likely. I'd buy that for a dollar.

I'd say arm strength is a little more than Adequate. he's not Jeff George but he can spin it. It's well above average 

7 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I'd say arm strength is a little more than Adequate. he's not Jeff George but he can spin it. It's well above average 

I forgot..  this is the time of year when you and JiF pretend you know about college football.

I think Trubisky falls to us because of:

- His one-year starter resume.

- Watson's amazing game last night. CLE, SF, CHI will draft him.

- CLE, SF, CHI, one of them will trade for Garroppolo (prolly SF if McDaniels goes there)...one of them will sign Glennon or Tyrod and go with a safer top pick.

Question is, do the Jets brass like him enough to not trade away the pick. 

On 1/9/2017 at 1:31 PM, Beerfish said:

Most often there is only one thing football front offices hate more than making mistakes it is essentially admitting it one year later.

I would be shocked to the core if the Jets pick a QB in the 1st 3 rounds or so.

well there's a dilemma.  what if the jets had the next elllway or marino available where they pick?  heck what if it was mariota?  i think they have no choice but to make the pick because they my never get another chance.  just about everyone is in agreement that they should pick a qb every year until they get one.  if they can get a franchise guy in the first round they should pick him.

Archived