I know it's still early...

AFJF

But anyone else worried that not a single name has surfaced in the OC search since Difilippo said "no thanks"?

Obviously only a few days, but since the Jets have known since the beginning of the season that Chan was going to retire *wink*, shouldn't they have had a bunch of names lined up to replace him?

With this being the least desirable OC job in the NFL, I think the quality guys go elsewhere, and the Jets land a first-timer or College OC.

One possibility given his Arizona ties is Freddie Kitchens, although I haven't seen him mentioned as a possibility from any of the media guys.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We have a lame duck HC with no QB. We are picking up the drunkest girl before the bar closes Friday night. 

Pretty much my feeling unless they overpay somebody by A LOT.

18 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We have a lame duck HC with no QB. We are picking up the drunkest girl before the bar closes Friday night. 

And she will probably puke before we get her in bed. I hope Norv Turner takes the job because he can step right in after Todd is fired next season.

Have to remember the difference with this FO vs previous. Previous regime leaked every damn move, Mac has his people keep quiet. 

Norv Turner and if not him.... it is not popular, but I still say bring in Chip Kelly to run the offense ( only to run the offense).

25 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

And she will probably puke before we get her in bed. I hope Norv Turner takes the job because he can step right in after Todd is fired next season.

As long as she is facing the other way who cares? LOL. I disagree on Turner simply because he is probably done after leaving mid-season and I am just not a fan of his. I don't see him with a NY mind set. Pretty sure it would eat him up.

3 minutes ago, Stark said:

Have to remember the difference with this FO vs previous. Previous regime leaked every damn move, Mac has his people keep quiet. 

Norv Turner and if not him.... it is not popular, but I still say bring in Chip Kelly to run the offense ( only to run the offense).

Would love Norv and would hate Chip.  He was a disaster in Philly.  After his first season, was called out multiple times by opposing defenses who said his offense consisted of only a few plays with minor wrinkles.  Good teams regularly knew what was coming.

Eagles defense was also on the field more than any team in the NFL by A LOT and they got worn down.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Sometime this Saturday night, around 11:30 or so, the Texans will eliminated, and O'Brien will be available soon after. 

Zero chance.  Owner has already said he was never on the hot seat.  If he had been fired, as I saw one analyst put it, "he'd have a HC job before he got home that night"

37 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I'm guessing they might want to wait till the seasons over since there's a bunch of coaches on good teams still coaching. 

Could be, but that's part of what worries me because it probably means another first time OC which is exactly what they don't need.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

But anyone else worried that not a single name has surfaced in the OC search since Difilippo said "no thanks"?

Obviously only a few days, but since the Jets have known since the beginning of the season that Chan was going to retire *wink*, shouldn't they have had a bunch of names lined up to replace him?

With this being the least desirable OC job in the NFL, I think the quality guys go elsewhere, and the Jets land a first-timer or College OC.

One possibility given his Arizona ties is Freddie Kitchens, although I haven't seen him mentioned as a possibility from any of the media guys.

The OC is, arguably, irrelevant.  While it would be nice for offensive system continuity in a perfect "rebuild" vacuum...  it likely won't matter.

Allow me to explain. It is extremely difficult to make a case that either of the two Jets QB prospects have much of a chance to be quality starters.   I think Petty might become a serviceable backup.  Hack? Forget it.

The Jets are a 3-13 team next season.   Unless Bowles shows DRASTIC game management improvement, and the team plays hard every week despite the losing, and/or the Jets actually draft a QB that shows something tangibly positive.   Unless some combo of the above happens, Bowles is gone next year.  And the OC, in turn, is history too.

Undesirable job? You are 100% correct. It is just a one year gig barring some really unexpected results. 

Draft well.  No fraud agency splurging.  Lose a lot with good effort.  That should be the goal for 2017.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Who in their right mind wants to join this circus ?

3 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

The biggest incentive and maybe the only one to take this job, is that there is a good chance that you will be named head coach mid season

If the Jets contact somebody like Norv, I wonder if his reps contact Woody and make a back room deal that if Bowles gets canned, Turner gets the gig.

Archived