Draft Deshaun Watson

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

There's one other qualifier that wasn't mentioned.  Who was he throwing to? 

How much does Mike Williams elevate Watson's performance?  How do you quantify that?

He had a better season last year without Mike Williams who broke his neck in the season opener. 

QBs with potential do not drop in the draft anymore.

The question is whether the Jets trade the rest of their draft to move up to get a QB.

But regardless of how good the QB the Jets is, he will need real development and coaching.   I think we will find out later that Chan basically took the year off. Something funny went on with the coaching on both sides of the ball last year.

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

There's one other qualifier that wasn't mentioned.  Who was he throwing to? 

How much does Mike Williams elevate Watson's performance?  How do you quantify that?

Watson did not depend on or lock onto just Williams.

REC YDS TD LONG
J. Leggett 7 95 0 26
M. Williams 8 94 1 26
D. Cain 5 94 0 43
H. Renfrow 10 92 2 24
W. Gallman 3 39 0 13
A. Scott 3 6 0 9
TEAM 36 420 3

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I dunno.

I was watching some of Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson highlights yesterday. I'm really not ready for this time of year yet... of the group, Trubisky concerned me most. So I watched game reels instead, and the concerns were still there. He delivers the ball late a lot. Dumps it off for YAC even more. I'm skeptical some of his game won't translate to the NFL.

I liked watching Mahomes, and I get that his offense is all gimmicks, but the amazing thing about this kid is that he can throw on the run, across his body, with a flick of his wrist and puts the ball on the mark. I saw him do it countless times in what I was watching. Crazy athletic. But athletic isn't really what makes a good QB. QB is predominantly between the ears.

It's going to be a long off-season. I'm hesitant to even get attached to any prospects... the guys I waned last year were Dak and Brissett, the guys I wanted before that were Garappolo and Savage. Every time I like a prospect, they end up nowhere close to the Jets roster.

Totally agree. NFL defenses (outside of Cleveland & San Fran, I mean) aren't going to just stand around and continually clear the box to allow a kid to make a big positive play with his feet, exciting as it is to watch when it happens.

Eventually these monster defenders at the NFL level are going to bruise them up like they've never had before. What can they do when their mobility's limited -- can they still wreck an NFL defense? Or what happens when they do buy time with their legs, but their favorite target still isn't open by 5-8 yards? Can they quickly scan the field and find their no-name 3rd downfield progression to move the sticks? For most of them the answer is no.

Not saying all these guys do is tuck & run or throw to wide open #1 WRs; I haven't seen them other than a couple of clips. But it's common.

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i'm not comparing the mental aspects.  just the 'he's a winner, he'll be a winner in the nfl, he's got the arm, the legs, etc.'

that said, i really wouldn't mind watson since we're so desperate, but as many have written here, i don't know how good he looks without williams there to win the 50/50 balls every time.

I'm fine with taking him based on (admittedly) the little I know about him. Why, was every play a jump ball or throwing to Williams or someone else just crazy wide open?

40 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I dunno.

I was watching some of Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson highlights yesterday. I'm really not ready for this time of year yet... of the group, Trubisky concerned me most. So I watched game reels instead, and the concerns were still there. He delivers the ball late a lot. Dumps it off for YAC even more. I'm skeptical some of his game won't translate to the NFL.

I liked watching Mahomes, and I get that his offense is all gimmicks, but the amazing thing about this kid is that he can throw on the run, across his body, with a flick of his wrist and puts the ball on the mark. I saw him do it countless times in what I was watching. Crazy athletic. But athletic isn't really what makes a good QB. QB is predominantly between the ears.

It's going to be a long off-season. I'm hesitant to even get attached to any prospects... the guys I waned last year were Dak and Brissett, the guys I wanted before that were Garappolo and Savage. Every time I like a prospect, they end up nowhere close to the Jets roster.

Mahomes is fun to watch. He comes from a gimmick offense, but he seems to be at his best when plays break down.  He's the love child of Fran Tarkenton and Brett Favre.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jets Daily Dosage. said:

I know we could better use the pick on a more needed position. But everything revolves around the QB position. I say keep drafting a QB every year til you hit on one. And damn did he look good last night

Yes. He looked pretty good. I still believe Trubinsky is the better Pro prospect., but if he doesn't go #2 overall to SF, he will most likely be scooped up by the Bears with the 3rd pick. JMHO. I think the Jets will be faced with a very tough choice to either draft the #2 QB prospect (Watson/Kizer/Trubinsky), L.Fournette, C.Robinson (who also looked fantastic last night) or trade down. And I hate to say it because the Jets desperately need a top tier OT or QB prospect, but I am all in for a trade down.   

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Here's a question, does anyone think Goff and Wentz were/are better prospects than Watson?

I think both are better prospects. 

Without getting into the details, Watson does not come close to Goffs accuracy, touch ability to make all the throws and their arm strength is close to even.

I think Wentz is close to as good of an athlete, has a better arm and is equally as good of a play-maker and 'field-general'.  

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

If we had played Petty and Hack this year to see if they were the future, then sure, reach for a QB if needed.  Jets didn't do that though.  Petty played a bit and Hack never saw the field.  

Unless Macc is writing off both Petty and Hack already, why get another young QB with questions while the two we have still haven't been given a shot?

Of course, if there's a top notch QB available, go for it.  But from what many here are saying, there aren't any QBs worthy of a top 10 pick.  Even though some mock drafts now have 3 QBs going in the top 6.

I agree with all of this. 

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

I suppose.  Though some years like with Winston and Mariota, I remember people really wanting them as top tier talents.  

Doesn't seem that way this year and I have no clue since I don't watch college ball.

Adding yet another young QB with questions when we already have two doesn't seem to make much sense.  Only so many practice reps to go around.

Regardless of whether you believe they are top prospects or not, they are much higher prospects than Hackenberg and Petty.  What that's worth, I'm not certain.  But, we may very well learn with the FO thinks of Hackenberg at early in this draft.

40 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Totally agree. NFL defenses (outside of Cleveland & San Fran, I mean) aren't going to just stand around and continually clear the box to allow a kid to make a big positive play with his feet, exciting as it is to watch when it happens.

Eventually these monster defenders at the NFL level are going to bruise them up like they've never had before. What can they do when their mobility's limited -- can they still wreck an NFL defense? Or what happens when they do buy time with their legs, but their favorite target still isn't open by 5-8 yards? Can they quickly scan the field and find their no-name 3rd downfield progression to move the sticks? For most of them the answer is no.

Not saying all these guys do is tuck & run or throw to wide open #1 WRs; I haven't seen them other than a couple of clips. But it's common.

Trubisky's biggest plays are screen passes that the WR then picks up 20+ extra yards of YAC, or passes to wide open receivers that have to slow down and wait on the pass. It would be one thing if it was occasional, but when a putz like me can watch a couple of his games and see it over and over... then it's got to be a real thing.

WRs don't get wide open routinely in NFL. Late passes get intercepted or broken up. I personally don't think this type of passing translates to success in the NFL.

If we take him, I hope I'm wrong.

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Here's a question, does anyone think Goff and Wentz were/are better prospects than Watson?

Nope, not really. QB has become a total crapshoot with the way colleges run offense. In the past, you kind of knew guys like Rivers, Ben and Luck would be alright in the NFL.

It's just not like that anymore. IMO

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Trubisky's biggest plays are screen passes that the WR then picks up 20+ extra yards of YAC, or passes to wide open receivers that have to slow down and wait on the pass. It would be one thing if it was occasional, but when a putz like me can watch a couple of his games and see it over and over... then it's got to be a real thing.

WRs don't get wide open routinely in NFL. Late passes get intercepted or broken up. I personally don't think this type of passing translates to success in the NFL.

If we take him, I hope I'm wrong.

Reminds me of Sanchez's USC film. Ouch.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Nope, not really. QB has become a total crapshoot with the way colleges run offense. In the past, you kind of knew guys like Rivers, Ben and Luck would be alright in the NFL.

It's just not like that anymore. IMO

If you were the Rams, would you have taken Watson over Goff at #1? 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

If you were the Rams, would you have taken Watson over Goff at #1? 

I would have taken Wentz. He was the guy I wanted us to trade up for, and if we didn't take him, I wanted Dak or Brisset as a late-round project.

But yes, I take Watson over Goff almost every time.

I honestly don't think Watson is worth a high 1 after watching him last night. I think he is going to be your typical great in college, meh in NFL QB. I think his WR's bailed him out more than a few times with spectacular catches and he missed a number of wide open receivers after Bama blew their coverage because he was locked in to one side of the field. 

Don't get me wrong, I think an NFL team will likely take him in the top 10 if his pre-draft workouts go well but I am hoping it is a team that picks before the Jets. 

11 minutes ago, August said:

I agree with all of this. 

I agree with what you are agreeing with. LOL.

The only exclusion is that same old notion that you keep drafting QBs until you hit on one. Although it will bring QB controversy (what else is new in Jetland), if Macc falls in love with another one of the QB prospects, you have to take him. Having said that, I don't think he will. We will most likely see Hack, Petty and a FA vet (Hoyer?) under center next season.

After last night's game I have come away more impressed with C.Robinson. People will say its a reach, we can get a similar talent later in the draft. But Robinson showed me last night that he can be a legit NFL LT. And he is enough of a bruiser that even if (for whatever reason) he does not work out at LT, he could very well be a Pro Bowl caliber RT or even OG. I liked what I saw and he should be in consideration at 6th overall. Seems like the type of player that could be a dominant starter on our O-line for the next 10 years and a safe pick.    

• Upvote 1

Just now, JiF said:

Watson has a career completion percentage of 67% in college.  Goff was 62%.  Where are people coming up with Watson has accuracy issues?  I've seen Watson his WR's at every level of the field vs. very good to great competition not the Pac 10 garbage that Goff faced.

I would have taken Watson over both, no question about it. 

Thats fair enough. I have no issue with Watsons accuracy. I just like how Goff throws the ball, its a thing of beauty. He has fantastic accuracy. I didn't even look at completion %. Frankly, that doesn't always tell the full story. 

Just now, JiF said:

I'd haven taken him over both.  He's been the man for 2 straight years, beating up top comp.  Both Goff and Wentz were draft process risers who nobody was talking about the year before.  I think there is something to be said about being the guy and then not disappointing the next year.  Watson did and he did it with huge clutch wins.  

Dak was a late round flier guy I was interested in...but really never figured he'd be a great starter.

Completely agree. 

6 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

I honestly don't think Watson is worth a high 1 after watching him last night. I think he is going to be your typical great in college, meh in NFL QB. I think his WR's bailed him out more than a few times with spectacular catches and he missed a number of wide open receivers after Bama blew their coverage because he was locked in to one side of the field. 

Don't get me wrong, I think an NFL team will likely take him in the top 10 if his pre-draft workouts go well but I am hoping it is a team that picks before the Jets. 

this is the easiest statement to make on any college qb... his stats in 2 games against legit nfl defensive players say otherwise... yes he missed some throws but also didn't have much time to throw.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'd haven taken him over both.  He's been the man for 2 straight years, beating up top comp.  Both Goff and Wentz were draft process risers who nobody was talking about the year before.  I think there is something to be said about being the guy and then not disappointing the next year.  Watson did and he did it with huge clutch wins.  

Dak was a late round flier guy I was interested in...but really never figured he'd be a great starter.

Yea, I admittedly didn't expect Dak to be this good, this fast... but I glommed onto him as the Russell Wilson of the draft. So, as quickly as I am to admit I don't know sh*t about college prospects, I get some right sometimes... who knew!??!!!

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

Completely agree. 

His career has a slight resemblance to Winston only in opposite fashion.  Winston won the Heisman and the National Championship and was everyone's favorite #1 overall pick his first year starting.  He followed up that season with a worse year, turning the ball over a lot more but led come from behind after come from behind victory.  He got them to the playoff only to get boat raced by Oregon and Mariota but statistically, its crazy how similar Winston and Watson were from 1st year starter to 2nd year starter with all eyes on. 

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If his arm and attitude check out at the combine, you have to take him, period. What he did last night is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen a college QB do. If you can play like that in the national championship game against a defense like that you can most certainly handle playing in New York. 

Vince Young. 

• Upvote 1