Draft Deshaun Watson

3 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Chip Kelly and Deshaun Watson would be a great pairing.  Chip's offense runs out of the shotgun 90+% of the time.  The only other offense that runs out of the shotgun that much is the San Diego offense.  Perhaps a Mike McCoy or Ken Whisenhunt offense might make the transition easier.  Deshaun does remind me of Mariota but passing wise he reminds me of a mobile college version of Nick Foles.

Chip Kellys offense doesn't translate to the NFL. College rosters have the numbers to send wave after wave of defenders in practice and games. Kellys offense just wears out his own defense in the NFL.  It's the antithesis of complimentary Football.

I'll say this, I'll take Clemson's HC any day.  Develops talent, very innovative on offense and defense, and he and his staff made some incredible in game adjustments.  First quarter it looked like they were going to get blown out.  If not for two fluke plays for AL, this game wasn't close.

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

The problem with that is the league has so over-emphasized the importance of the QB position that you pretty much have to reach for one if you need one. Watson may be a second round talent, but you'll have to use a higher pick if you like him. More often than not, you'll do so and fail. But you can't afford to refrain from trying.

Watson is top of the draft talent.  Physically freakish athletism who happens to be very sharp.  Fits Parcells mold as a captain that has graduated.

Not saying he's the best player in the draft because there are several pro bowlers in this draft.  But if he fails, like a lot of other draft busts, it will be the organization's fault.

5 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

And next yr when the qb draft class is much better, we won't be able to draft the right qb in the top 10 because we wasted another this yr..

That is unless Mac and Bowles are fired then the new FO can do whatever is necessary.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's a guide of what to look for.  It's not hard and fast ffs.:rolleyes:

You realize those things are what every GM looks for in a QB, right?

Most of these guys coming out have flaws.  Winston was/is a moron, Mariota didn't come from a pro style offense, Carr didn't play against top notch competition, etc.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jets Daily Dosage. said:

I know we could better use the pick on a more needed position. But everything revolves around the QB position. I say keep drafting a QB every year til you hit on one. And damn did he look good last night

Compare Darnold in the Rose Bowl vs. Watson in the championship game.  As a passer Watson is not even on the same planet as Darnold.  Darnold is what a top tier QB looks like.  Flawless mechanics and throws laser beams, even under duress.  Someone   may reach for Watson in round 1, but they'll be getting a Geno clone.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2

Pass. He's not an NFL QB and will be a huge bust.  He stares down his receivers, overthrows, underthrows, makes poor decisions.  He makes up for a lot of mistakes with his speed and escalability but he is nowhere as nifty as Taylor or Griffin.  And we all know how effective Griffin has been. Watson is an accident waiting to happen.  This would be a colossal mistake by Mac and there is no way he is going to risk taking this kid at #6.      

52 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Compare Darnold in the Rose Bowl vs. Watson in the championship game.  As a passer Watson is not even on the same planet as Darnold.  Darnold is what a top tier QB looks like.  Flawless mechanics and throws laser beams, even under duress.  Someone   may reach for Watson in round 1, but they'll be getting a Geno clone.

Totally in agreement with ya...but even Geno isn't a Geno clone. ^_^

Dude has a 64% completion, 7td-1 pick and over 800 yards in the 2 championship games against Bama kid can play. However Mac is probably unlikely to stray from Hack after one year with the plan not changing. I want Watson but with the gaping holes in the oline, the secondary that's in the trashbin idk if we can pass up on Cam Robinson or a Dback especially with Darnold most likely coming out next year. If its Watson,Robinson or a Dback I'm happy. 

3 hours ago, Powpow said:

Pass. He's not an NFL QB and will be a huge bust.  He stares down his receivers, overthrows, underthrows, makes poor decisions.  He makes up for a lot of mistakes with his speed and escalability but he is nowhere as nifty as Taylor or Griffin.  And we all know how effective Griffin has been. Watson is an accident waiting to happen.  This would be a colossal mistake by Mac and there is no way he is going to risk taking this kid at #6.      

I agree. I see an effective college QB, but not a NFL QB. 

• Upvote 1

Kiper...

Quarterback Deshaun Watson

National title game stats: 36-of-56 passing for 420 yards, 43 rushing yards, four total TDs (three passing)

Watson had an up-and-down season, and I thought he took a step back in decision-making from his stellar sophomore season. His 17 interceptions -- and 30 over the past two seasons -- are worrisome. He has shown that he can make every throw that an NFL quarterback needs to make, but his lapses in decision-making hurt Clemson in the middle of the season. He didn't play like a first-round pick. He was much, much better down the stretch of the season, including on Monday night, but scouts aren't going to overreact to one game, good or bad. They'll take his entire tape into account.

Watson has decent size (6-foot-2, 210 pounds), and he's a battler -- he took some shots against the Tide and just kept getting up. His running skills get him into trouble at times because he wants to leave the pocket and take off, so he'll have to keep developing his pocket presence. What's going to be important for Watson is how he looks against the other quarterback prospects in this draft. He has an invitation to the Senior Bowl (he's eligible because he already has his degree) and should work out at the combine. Watson is my No. 3-ranked quarterback right now, and certainly has a chance to move up from this projection, because several teams have needs at QB and much can change during the draft process.

Where Watson projects in the draft: Day 2 pick.

23 hours ago, KRL said:

Definitely intriguing, but with Watson like so many other college QB's it's not about
the stats.  He's playing in a "gimmick" college offense, so you don't know a lot about
him:

- Can he take a snap from under center?

- What's his footwork like on 3, 5 and 7 step drops?

- Can he call a play in the huddle?

- Does he read defenses or is he looking for his first read and that's it?

Watson has the same questions about him that Geno Smith & Bryce Petty had.  But I will
give him credit, in the last two championship games he's come up HUGE against a "pro"
defense.  I'm going to re-watch the game tonight to get more info about him

Eek.  Sounds like a Geno evaluation

John Gruden gave him glowing reviews this morning on Mike
and Mike. He's an excellent leader , most victories ever against ranked opponents , went toe to toe with Alabama back to back years , side line demeanor when down 14-0 and getting abused was very positive . He thinks he should be the #1 pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

You realize those things are what every GM looks for in a QB, right?

Most of these guys coming out have flaws.  Winston was/is a moron, Mariota didn't come from a pro style offense, Carr didn't play against top notch competition, etc.

You're so right.  We should thus ignore resume, performance metrics and disciplinary history, and instead only use their workout numbers to judge.  It's a can't miss!

:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Kiper...

Quarterback Deshaun Watson

National title game stats: 36-of-56 passing for 420 yards, 43 rushing yards, four total TDs (three passing)

Watson had an up-and-down season, and I thought he took a step back in decision-making from his stellar sophomore season. His 17 interceptions -- and 30 over the past two seasons -- are worrisome. He has shown that he can make every throw that an NFL quarterback needs to make, but his lapses in decision-making hurt Clemson in the middle of the season. He didn't play like a first-round pick. He was much, much better down the stretch of the season, including on Monday night, but scouts aren't going to overreact to one game, good or bad. They'll take his entire tape into account.

Watson has decent size (6-foot-2, 210 pounds), and he's a battler -- he took some shots against the Tide and just kept getting up. His running skills get him into trouble at times because he wants to leave the pocket and take off, so he'll have to keep developing his pocket presence. What's going to be important for Watson is how he looks against the other quarterback prospects in this draft. He has an invitation to the Senior Bowl (he's eligible because he already has his degree) and should work out at the combine. Watson is my No. 3-ranked quarterback right now, and certainly has a chance to move up from this projection, because several teams have needs at QB and much can change during the draft process.

Where Watson projects in the draft: Day 2 pick.

I know I am just a guy behind a computer but I don't see Watson making it out of the first round let alone the top 10.

The Jets need a QB. Keep drafting one until you hit gold.  If there's a QB on the board at #6 that the Jets have rated as a franchise QB and they don't take him (whoever he is), it's downright criminal. It's a very simple equation in the NFL. Good teams have good QB's.  Bad teams have bad QB's.  The Jets are a bad team. 

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

You're so right.  We should thus ignore resume, performance metrics and disciplinary history, and instead only use their workout numbers to judge.  It's a can't miss!

:rolleyes:

That's not what I said.

You essentially described a flawless QB prospect without any question marks.  No sh*t that's what GMs are looking for.  

7 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Personally, I think he is going to be better than Luck.

If that's the case, the only chance the Jets can get him is with the 2018 No. 1 pick and he declares after redshirt sophomore season (which is no guarantee).  The problem is that this season was an out outright disaster, and it still got the Jets no better than the 6th pick (5th pick if they lost last game).  The Jets would need Sixers level of tanking and cut all their players to have a chance at next year's No. 1.

Keep picking QBs.  If Jets have a top pick in a year and can chose Darnold, whom they drafted the year before is not going to change that.

As for the Geno comparisons to Watson, I don't get it.  They're nothing alike except for pigment.  Watson is rock solid while Geno looks like a stick figure.  Watson played at a top school and beat everyone.  Geno played at a second tier school and had middling success.  Watson is beloved by his teammates and is a natural leader by all accounts.  Geno is an ahole who gets his face broken by teammates.  

Whether Watson can be successful in a pro system is up to debate, but so is it with essentially every other QB draftee these days the way the NCAAF is now.  That hasn't nothing to do with being like Geno.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Powpow said:

Lol - doesnt every young QB do this?

And werent you ready to give your left ball up for Jared Goff? 

14 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I remember in 2013 when unranked Penn St. torched @  #14 Wisconsin.  This true freshman kid threw for 340 yards, 4 TD's and completed 70% of his passes.  After that game, he was the consensus #1 overall pick/best NFL QB prospect in the land because he had all the tools and looked the part.

Fast forward 2 years and people had an undraftable grade on him.  It's crazy what a year or 2 can do. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Let's put things in perspective here....there isn't a player on Penn State's defense that would start for Alabama.

16 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Watson just did what no Jets QB since Favre (maybe Joe), he stole a win from one of the best defenses in the country, PennyGenoChez never did that

if I am going all in, I do not wait for Sam

Darnold will be a better pro than Watson