Draft Deshaun Watson

3 minutes ago, Stark said:

this is the easiest statement to make on any college qb... his stats in 2 games against legit nfl defensive players say otherwise... yes he missed some throws but also didn't have much time to throw.

I can agree with this part, and I get he was up against the toughest D in college. He also had a couple of "should have been picks" to LB's across the middle but my bottom line is that yes, he could become a good NFL QB but I think the chance of that happening doesn't equate to a Top 10 pick. 

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't think some are really grasping what Watson accomplished last night. Nitpicking is useful but not when it comes at the expense of context. If Alabama wins last night the discussion today is if the 2016 Tide had the greatest defense ever. Really. 

I love everything Deshaun has done this year culminating in the best football game (college or pros) of the year so far. However, even though Jameis wasn't a true "can't miss" prospect, he's the closest I've ever seen to that elite group of Luck/Peyton/Elway. Deshaun, for whatever reason, I need a little more warming up to.

I know it doesn't make sense...he's got it all: smarts, arm, accuracy, toughness, strong resume, maturity (prioritizing his schoolwork and graduating in 3 years)...but I don't rate him as high. Maybe it's cause he's always flashing that million dollar smile. I don't want my QB smiling. I want him out there killin fools with laser TDs. Yep, that's it. But then, he did that last night. So I don't know.  

Edit: Yes, I'm aware that my incoherent rambling on this matter is completely useless, and adds no value to the discussion. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Stark said:

Watson did not depend on or lock onto just Williams.

REC YDS TD LONG
J. Leggett 7 95 0 26
M. Williams 8 94 1 26
D. Cain 5 94 0 43
H. Renfrow 10 92 2 24
W. Gallman 3 39 0 13
A. Scott 3 6 0 9
TEAM 36 420 3

He was throwing the ball to EVERYONE.  Tons to Cain, to Renfrow, to Cain...not just Williams. I loved what I saw and I go and get the guy at #6 no matter what.

Another thought is: A top 5-6 first round QB drafted is something that gives a franchise's fan base a short term "energy boost" and we all know fully well that Woody Johnson is a sucker for the "short term energy boost".  I would take it any day of the week.  We need something to get excited about, even if only temporarily (which is another issue, I get it), and I think going QB at #6 is the solution.  

You can't think that Petty and/or Hackenboig is the long term solution to our problems...that's just impossible to see, I am sorry.

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't think some are really grasping what Watson accomplished last night. Nitpicking is useful but not when it comes at the expense of context. If Alabama wins last night the discussion today is if the 2016 Tide had the greatest defense ever. Really. 

A lot of people are definitely overlooking the context on this one, as well.  "Ohhhhhh he's just a 'good college QB'" the guy just went out and went directly for the jugular against an historically good defense that would beat some NFL teams so there is no need or reason to overlook this simply out of convenience...don't undersell exactly what he did last night AND WHO he did it against.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Another thought is: A top 5-6 first round QB drafted is something that gives a franchise's fan base a short term "energy boost" and we all know fully well that Woody Johnson is a sucker for the "short term energy boost".  I would take it any day of the week.  We need something to get excited about, even if only temporarily (which is another issue, I get it), and I think going QB at #6 is the solution.  

You can't think that Petty and/or Hackenboig is the long term solution to our problems...that's just impossible to see, I am sorry.

I agree with this. A QB taken early in the first round will give this fanbase a shot in the arm. The question is what will it cost to move up for the QB that they want? He's probably not going to be there at #6.

3 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I don't think Hack or Petty are long term solutions but I also know that a couple of weeks ago everyone considered this QB draft class to be subpar and that QB's who would normally be drafted in the 2nd round at highest will get drafted high solely due to need.

I don't want the Jets to draft a QB with a top 10 pick just for the sake of need and an "energy boost" for fans. That is how you end up drafting Vince Young over D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jamarcus Russell over Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson, Jake Locker/Blaine Gabbert over JJ Watt.  

You want a list of the last decade of BCS Championship QB's? 

Josh Heupel, 

Ken Dorsey, 

Craig Krenzel, 

Matt Mauck, 

Matt Leinart, 

Vince Young, 

Chris Leak, 

Matt Flynn, 

Tim Tebow, 

Greg McElroy, 

Cam Newton, 

A.J. McCarron, 

Jameis Winston

As far as skillset transferring over to the NFL, I'd rather take more of a sure bet with our pick this year, roll with Pett, Hack and FA QB next year and keep our eyes out on a kid who moves well in the pocket, keeps his eyes downfield and can hit his 2nd and 3rd option: 

• Upvote 1

DeShaun played great but I don't think he will project well to the pros and will ultimately slide in the draft. His championship game isn't going to vault him from a prospect that is mentioned in the 2nd round to the #1 pick in the draft.

Hopefully I'm wrong and the Jets pick him and he's a franchise quarterback but he just screams great college QB - average to below average pro to me.

• Upvote 2

The reason people aren't sold on Watson is the offense he plays in. Shotgun ONLY (which hurt Clemson a few times in short yardage last night). The "check with me" stuff. The stupid posters in the sidelines. 

If he had taken snaps from under center and dropped back, it would be better I guess.

It's just that these College spread, shotgun, one read offenses aren't ideal for making an NFL QB. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The reason people aren't sold on Watson is the offense he plays in. Shotgun ONLY (which hurt Clemson a few times in short yardage last night). The "check with me" stuff. The stupid posters in the sidelines. 

If he had taken snaps from under center and dropped back, it would be better I guess.

It's just that these College spread, shotgun, one read offenses aren't ideal for making an NFL QB. 

We see it year after year

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

He's my choice as well but he wont be there at 6. 

Its interesting that a prospect like Watson, with all the positives being talked about here, would pass by 2 / 3 QB needy teams and fall into the Jets lap.  If Watson is the real deal, I would think the Jets would have to trade up to get him.  Also, if he is projected as a great QB prospect and the Jets stay at the 6 spot, there is the possibility for another team (Bills, Cleveland (2nd, 1st round pick)) to trade up with the Jaguars or Titans.

52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Chip Kelly/DeShaun Watson 2017

42 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Chip Kelly and Deshaun Watson would be a great pairing.  Chip's offense runs out of the shotgun 90+% of the time.  The only other offense that runs out of the shotgun that much is the San Diego offense.  Perhaps a Mike McCoy or Ken Whisenhunt offense might make the transition easier.  Deshaun does remind me of Mariota but passing wise he reminds me of a mobile college version of Nick Foles.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I love everything Deshaun has done this year culminating in the best football game (college or pros) of the year so far. However, even though Jameis wasn't a true "can't miss" prospect, he's the closest I've ever seen to that elite group of Luck/Peyton/Elway. Deshaun, for whatever reason, I need a little more warming up to.

I know it doesn't make sense...he's got it all: smarts, arm, accuracy, toughness, strong resume, maturity (prioritizing his schoolwork and graduating in 3 years)...but I don't rate him as high. Maybe it's cause he's always flashing that million dollar smile. I don't want my QB smiling. I want him out there killin fools with laser TDs. Yep, that's it. But then, he did that last night. So I don't know.  

Edit: Yes, I'm aware that my incoherent rambling on this matter is completely useless, and adds no value to the discussion. 

Namath

Montana

Brady

Rogers

Peyton

They all have million dollar smiles :) 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

It's not going to shock me if both Watson & Trubisky get "over valued" and they
end up being taken in the top 3.  The positive about that scenario is someone
should drop to us at #6 similar to Leonard Williams in 2015

Hopefully it's Garrett 

The Jets are going defense in the first round unless Mike Williams slips past Tennesee at 5, which I find unlikely.

I think I'd be more comfortable with Mahomes in round 2 than Trubisky/Watson/Kizer - they are too questionable to take at the top of the draft and lock into for 5 years.

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

I don't think Hack or Petty are long term solutions but I also know that a couple of weeks ago everyone considered this QB draft class to be subpar and that QB's who would normally be drafted in the 2nd round at highest will get drafted high solely due to need.

I don't want the Jets to draft a QB with a top 10 pick just for the sake of need and an "energy boost" for fans. That is how you end up drafting Vince Young over D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jamarcus Russell over Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson, Jake Locker/Blaine Gabbert over JJ Watt.  

Josh Heupel, 

Ken Dorsey, 

Craig Krenzel, 

Matt Mauck, 

Matt Leinart, 

Vince Young, 

Chris Leak, 

Matt Flynn, 

Tim Tebow, 

Greg McElroy, 

Cam Newton, 

A.J. McCarron, 

Jameis Winston

As far as skillset transferring over to the NFL, I'd rather take more of a sure bet with our pick this year, roll with Pett, Hack and FA QB next year and keep our eyes out on a kid who moves well in the pocket, keeps his eyes downfield and can hit his 2nd and 3rd option: 

Yeah most people want to take a sure bet... however we have like what, a 1% chance of having the number 1 overall pick when Darnold comes out... you want to just do what for the next 2 seasons? build the team with no QB and hope we have a worse record than the Browns that year. I am sure there will be teams that will be worse than us and we won't even have a chance to draft Darnold.

Going to be like Peyton Manning or Luck... and the team at 1 overall won't trade out.

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

Josh Heupel, 

Ken Dorsey, 

Craig Krenzel, 

Matt Mauck, 

Matt Leinart, 

Vince Young, 

Chris Leak, 

Matt Flynn, 

Tim Tebow, 

Greg McElroy, 

Cam Newton, 

A.J. McCarron, 

Jameis Winston

PERFECT!

So if every other NFL team is "so smart" and passes on Watson because of your point above, then let's go in and get the guy at the top of the second round...that works for me too.

The problem is: he won't be there in the second round, sorry!

9 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Sure, but they all had a ruthless attribute: Namath's throwing ability; Montana's field vision; brady*'s cheating; A-A-Ron's everything; Peyton's cerebral facilities.

What's Deshaun's? 

Peyton Manning at UT

Year

Attempts Comp. Comp % Yards INT TD's
1994 144 89 61.8 1141 6 11
1995 380 244 64.2 2954 4 22
1996 380 243 63.9 3287 12 20
1997 477 287 60.37 3819 11 37
Total 1354 851 62.85 11201 33 90*

Aaron Rodgers at Cal

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
*2003 California Pac-10 SO QB 13 215 349 61.6 2903 8.3 8.8 19 5 146.6
*2004 California Pac-10 JR QB 12 209 316 66.1 2566 8.1 8.5 24 8 154.3
Career California         424 665 63.8 5469 8.2 8.6 43 13 150.3

Watson- more TD's, Higher Completion%, Higher QB Rating

CAREER STATS
SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
2016 388 579 4593 67.0 7.93 65 41 17 17 151.1 73.3 84.9
2015 333 491 4104 67.8 8.36 67 35 13 15 156.3 77.9 86.7
2014 93 137 1466 67.9 10.70 74 14 2 8 188.6 87.1 90.9

No one will really know until he is in the NFL playing on Sundays and he won't get to sit 4 years behind Favre, but here are college comparisons (yes i know its more of a passing league now ... just numbers

almost 70% completion