Has this team even interviewed a single OC Candidate???

jmat321

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Yes you do. But I would rather build the team before getting the QB and the system

I see it the other way around. If the philosophy is in place it makes it easier to fit the correct players into a system that works around that philosophy. Building the team of players with different strengths then putting a philosophy into play kind of messes up an offenses identity in a sense.

On 1/10/2017 at 2:58 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

There are several alternatives:

1. The Jets are waiting for candidates that are on current playoff teams

2. The Jets are conducting interviews and they've kept it quiet (i.e. the Wilkerson extension)

3. The candidates are looking at HC jobs first before coordinator jobs.

To me the answer is 3.

To me, its #4. Which is, we haven't done anything yet. 

Thanks Idzik.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

lol, what is your evidence that Norv Turner is "dying of Cancer"?

None, pure speculation on my part, trying to explain why a veteran NFL Coach walks away without any pressure to do so in the middle of an NFL season, a near unheard-of action outside some serious malady.

I'll ask again, because deflections and such, what is your evidence that Norv Turner is seeking employment in the NFL in 2017?

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Okay, so my assumption that he's a good unemployed OC that "might" want a job again isn't so far-fetched in comparison to your ridiculousness.

I'll agree he might want a job.....if you have a source  that says that.

Till then, the available facts say he's retired and his last act was a mysterious "walking away" mid-season, not exactly what we need right now, reliability wise.

What a bunch of whiny bitches.  Nobody has any idea what any of these guys have for an offensive philosophy.  The guy started Tebow?  How dare he?!?!  I mean he took over a ******* 2-11 team, why would he want to start the rookie QB to see what he had?  Pining for Norv Turver?  GTFO.  Greg Roman can **** himself in the eye.  

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

What a bunch of whiny bitches.  Nobody has any idea what any of these guys have for an offensive philosophy.  The guy started Tebow?  How dare he?!?!  I mean he took over a ******* 2-11 team, why would he want to start the rookie QB to see what he had?  Pining for Norv Turver?  GTFO.  Greg Roman can **** himself in the eye.  

Don't hurt us.

2 weeks before the season ends Jets fans are all "fire everyone get some decent people in here" 

2 weeks after the season ends Jets fans are all "why doesn't anyone good want this job? 

maybe it's because the fans demand heads on spikes after every season (and the owner is too weak to say no).

Honest question would you take a job if you knew that the expectations were sky high but the organization is in the garbage pile. The fans expect Super Bowl victories but the team hasn't been to the playoffs for years.  

And there's a decent chance some a$$hole is going to rent airplanes to run banners over practice to get you fired.  

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The whole premise of running the ball and 'ground and pound' is having a good defense.  It is also what you do when you have no QB at all.  Next year should be fun, sh*tty and boring.

We had no QB at all this year and ran a spread.  Is it going to be any more sh*tty and boring than 2016?  Emphasizing a running game does not automatically mean ground and pound.

17 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

I know, but Gailey retired what, 2 weeks ago?  Probably told the Jets much earlier?  Did they even call Roman?  

I don't think the Jets told Chan Gailey that he wanted to retire at the start of the 2016 season until 2 weeks ago.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

None, pure speculation on my part, trying to explain why a veteran NFL Coach walks away without any pressure to do so in the middle of an NFL season, a near unheard-of action outside some serious malady.

I'll ask again, because deflections and such, what is your evidence that Norv Turner is seeking employment in the NFL in 2017?

Till then, the available facts say he's retired and his last act was a mysterious "walking away" mid-season, not exactly what we need right now, reliability wise.

Norv supposedly quit because he wasn't seeing eye to eye with Shurmur and Zimmer.  He was also supposedly hoping to protect his kid. Maybe he hoped his kid would be promoted. He knew the team was winning with smoke and mirrors, maybe he figured resigning before the wheels fell off would help his legacy/options for 2017.  He is on record as saying he wants to continue coaching. 

"I just enjoy it too much," Turner told ESPN. "I really enjoy teaching the players."

56 minutes ago, KRL said:

Eric Studesville has a heavy run game emphasis in his resume:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/coaches/Eric-Studesville/6a851504-a376-4c81-8e14-93739624ca93

If hired does that mean we'll look hard at Fournette or Cook?

Maybe someone forgot to tell DUMBASS that this is now a passing league and while a good RB is a compliment we need an OC that is in today's NFL.

FWIW, while Studesville was in Denver he was RB coach under McCoy, and McCoy was his OC when he was promoted to interim HC.  When they started Tebow! Heaven forbid we get such an innovative offensive mind!  Fox kept them both on and added Gase. He was with Sean Payton and Fox on the Giants (RB coach while Fox was DC) under Fassell, was in Chicago and Buffalo under Jauron (interestingly he left when Gailey took over) and was also under Mularkey.  

What a horrible candidate with no resume!  Calling plays is an art.  Even if the guy is a good OC, he will need to be good at that and IMO nobody has any idea what he will be like. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

FWIW, while Studesville was in Denver he was RB coach under McCoy, and McCoy was his OC when he was promoted to interim HC.  When they started Tebow! Heaven forbid we get such an innovative offensive mind!  Fox kept them both on and added Gase. He was with Sean Payton and Fox on the Giants (RB coach while Fox was DC) under Fassell, was in Chicago and Buffalo under Jauron (interestingly he left when Gailey took over) and was also under Mularkey.  

What a horrible candidate with no resume!  Calling plays is an art.  Even if the guy is a good OC, he will need to be good at that and IMO nobody has any idea what he will be like. 

They're pissed because he's not a flashy candidate. 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And which passer should we use?

Well I have said that I believe in Petty although it didn't work out as well as I'd hope, but I do believe it's because our OL needs an overhaul. But we don't have any coaches on this team that can actually coach anyone either, and that goes for both offense and defense. How DUMBASS is still coach of this team is beyond me. I'm not stupid enough to think that everyone on our team just because I am a fan are great, but I do believe that there is potential in both Petty and Hack. We just need the right coaches.

Just now, 68JET11 said:

Well I have said that I believe in Petty although it didn't work out as well as I'd hope, but I do believe it's because our OL needs an overhaul. But we don't have any coaches on this team that can actually coach anyone either, and that goes for both offense and defense. How DUMBASS is still coach of this team is beyond me. I'm not stupid enough to think that everyone on our team just because I am a fan are great, but I do believe that there is potential in both Petty and Hack. We just need the right coaches.

Which is why choice of QB coach is very important

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Mike McCoy, Norv Turner, etc, etc, all available... nope, let's go after the RB coach of the Broncos. LOL 

SOJ

To be fair those phone calls probably went like this:

Bowles: *Silence*

Potential OC: Hello?

Bowles: Bowles

Potential OC: Oh, f*ck no 

*click*

Bowles: *remains on the line for another 30 minutes in silence

*click*

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I have heard nobody on Twitter of any note say it would be a bad hire.

Well sh*t. Twitter opinions matter so much.

I don't want Norv anywhere near this team. 

If they do hire this guy, what it suggests to me is a return to the ground and pound game, which fits given our roster.

No, it doesn't. We are stronger at WR. We have 4 viable WRs. We have An expired Forte and Powell, who is a committee back. We aren't built to run at all.

And they didn't fire him from the team. What does that tell you

Nothing. It tells me absolutely nothing.

It certainly fits their current roster.

What's more interesting is if he is hired, does Greg Knapp, their QB coach come with him?

Still no.

On 1/10/2017 at 3:58 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

There are several alternatives:

1. The Jets are waiting for candidates that are on current playoff teams

2. The Jets are conducting interviews and they've kept it quiet (i.e. the Wilkerson extension)

3. The candidates are looking at HC jobs first before coordinator jobs.

To me the answer is 3.

Or, the Jets have called 15 prospective OC candidates and been tod to take a hike.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The whole premise of running the ball and 'ground and pound' is having a good defense.  It is also what you do when you have no QB at all.  Next year should be fun, sh*tty and boring.

This.

Yes you do. But I would rather build the team before getting the QB and the system

Yowza. This might set the bar for dumbest post ever. You don't pick and choose when you find a QB, you just be thankful you found one. Period.

2 hours ago, jmat321 said:

at this point i'm hoping for Lynn, nobody wants this job.  now there is chatter that Lynn may stay on in Buff

Eh, Lynn is a RB coach with even less experience as a OC.

Frankly, the Jets copying the Bills model of over-hyping and over-promoting a RB coach is so Jetsy we should have expected it.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I didn't deflect. Your exception to my post was trivial at best. I'm not debating an exaggerated statement meant to troll. LOL

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I didn't deflect. Your exception to my post was trivial at best. I'm not debating an exaggerated statement meant to troll. LOL

Wasn't meant as a troll in any way.

Forgive me if I have doubts about a 65 year old guy who just walked off the job mid-season leaving his team in a lurch in what could have been a good year.

Forgive me also if I hold Norv in a lesser regard, since I watched him suck here in DC for years.

Every article I've seen on Norv says "he'll want to come back" or "he has to come back" but it's always someone OTHER than Norv saying it.  Norv himself appears to have stayed generally silent or vague on coming back.

Till Norv comes out and says otherwise (or starts taking interviews) I don't see him as "seeking work", and even if he was, lol, no.  A worn out old man whose motivation is questionable as hell at this point, and whose record of success was ages ago now?  Pass.  Up and comers with minds in the 2000's, not the 1980's preferred.

Archived