It is early, but who should we draft?

Stonehands

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Trade back, take Foster. Build d around Williams and Foster.

Go 1-15. 

draft Darnold #1 overall and a bunch of OL for like ever after. 

I really think Foster is going to be in the conversation.  We REALLY need QB, LT, pass rusher, and corner, the four most critical positions in the NFL.  

But the elite pass rushers will either be gone, or are actual DEs, which unless we move Will and Richardson, would be pointless.  

Two LT that project in round 1 are Robinson and Ramczyk of Wis.  Robinson in not worthy of a top ten pick.  The Clemson defense abused him.  He had at least 3 false starts.  IMO, Ramczyk will be better.  That said, experts put both guys below the four tackles taken in the first last year.  Can't take them at 6.

CB looks like it could be Humphries, Tabor (FL) both rated in the top ten.  Humphries was picked on versus Williams at Clemson.  He had safety help and still couldn't stop him.  He may turn out great but did not handle the big guy very well.  Don't know a ton about Tabor but so far, he is an option.

Im not going into specifics with QBs because I highly doubt there will be in to take at 6.  And Kizer is a solid NO.

So while Foster is at a position that usually doesn't warrant a top ten pick, he would replace Harris day one, and hopefully salvage last year's pick in Lee.  So I believe Mac and Bowles would give Foster strong consideration because it saves $6M in cap space if they release Harris but also may save face on last year's draft.  They have already bombed on Hack.

Trade back in the first round with a team that considers themselves "1 player away" and let them take one of the 2 RBs. Then, we can draft for need and still be looking at BPA in the middle of the first.

For example, Indianapolis at #14 overall. They move up to pair Fournette with Luck. We drop back, and draft the BPA - because all the guys projected mid-first also fit need positions like CB, OT, LB and WR. 

So, let's say we get a guy like Corey Davis, WR - because Marshall and Decker are going to be questions marks after 2017, and Anderson has only flashed production in garbage time. Not a sure thing. And in the process pick up additional picks in later rounds.

I am not sold on any of the QBs that are currently projected to go in the top 10 (but not fall to us). I thought Watson would be interesting, but his stock is soaring at this point. Over the next several months this will work itself out. If the Jets aren't sold at QB I am hopeful that one of the prospects drop down to us and we can trade out of the pick to some team that is willing to overpay and reach for a QB (we already did that with Hack so, maybe we should not do it again). It may even be possible to do that twice (but it is unlikely that it even happens once). Pick BPA in the middle of the 1st (or trade out completely) and accumulate extra picks for this year and next. This is NOT a 1 year rebuild, so play for value and grab picks for next year to either 1) move up to get a game changer 2) fill more holes. You have a better chance of picking for value with extra picks over multiple years than trying to force a fit.

I'd like to trade down to accumulate picks. If we can move way down in the 1st round while picking up an additional #1, that'd be great. If not, moving down a few slots and grabbing a couple of day two and day three picks would be ideal. Then the Jets can do what I'm sure they will probably do anyway at #6, which is draft a FS or MLB. 

2 hours ago, jets rooter said:

the jets must draft a q.b. in the first round.If they are lucky the kid from Clemson falls to them.If not the kid from north caolina mitch trubisky is my second choice.left tackle is a must in the second round.my choice is Roderick Johnson has the tools to succeed. The rest of the draft is up in the air.

I'd rather draft Tim Williams and get our first real edge rusher since Abraham

Then sign either Glennon or Taylor or simply tank next year for Sam Darnold

Quarterback would be priority #1 obviously - don't think there will be one available.

From there I think it becomes important to get an impact player at #6. Like every other year a trade down would be great but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Tackle would be #2 IMO - building an elite offensive line would be great. I'm not sure value is going to match up there although it would be cool if it did.

Then #3 would be an edge rusher. Seems like the class is full of them but after Garrett (who I'm guessing won't be there) the presumed next guys like Barnett and Solomon Thomas are viewed as 4-3 ends not stand up 3-4 guys. If the FO likes the 3-4 fit (I know Thomas is supposed to be a freak athlete) then that changes things. But that may be for later.

Those are kind of the key spots so I think from there you see if there's somebody you can build around on offense or defense. Right now it doesn't seem like there are elite WR's or TE's, there are elite running backs but that historically doesn't go so well, and I don't think you take an interior OL at 6th overall so that covers the other offensive positions.

Another interior DL is obviously not ideal since there are already too many for the defense to function on the roster, inside linebacker at #6 - especially when you theoretically took your 3 down ILB last year - doesn't make a lot of sense, and corner seems deeper than elite at the top so I think you wait there. We've seen extended periods of elite defenses with big-time safety play and the Jets don't really have a long-term answer there plus they could use someone who can create turnovers.

So, Malik Hooker. Decent chance he'll be there, may be the best safety in an elite class of safeties, big-time ball skills, has been getting Ed Reed comps, and crazy range so he probably has the combo of production and physical attributes you'd like in a top pick, and at the very least we'll get some good hooker jokes out of it so there's a really high floor here. Kind of depends on the off the field and classroom type stuff, but that's where I am right now.

None of the QB's in this draft class are going to be anything special. Trubisky could potentially, but he really needs an Aaron Rodgers type situation where he comes in and learns/develops for a bit before he's thrust into the starting role. That won't happen here, as there's nobody to learn from and he probably won't get time anyways. Watson is the most ready to start now, but I don't think he is good enough to be a franchise QB, although I seriously hope he is (regardless of where he's drafted) as I like the kid. 

Secondly, there are no elite OT's in this draft. Everyone that is saying we should take Cam Robinson at 6 is drinking the Bama kool-aid. He's not that great, he'd be a much better RT, but I'm not drafting a RT at 6 overall. 

Next, the best players in this draft after Myles Garrett and Jonathan Allen are offensive skill players: Dalvin Cook, Leonard Fournette, and Mike Williams. The next best players are less important defensive players: Malik Hooker, Reuben Foster, Jabrill Peppers, Jamal Adams. The remaining players who are even in discussion are either DE's or have character/health issues: Derek Barnett, Tim Williams, Quincy Wilson, Soloman Thomas...

So, there isn't a perfect fit for us this year like there typically is (which we usually screw up anyways...). I'd love to trade back, and I guarantee that we get offers to trade back...I just don't know that there will be an offer good enough for us to say yes to. If we stay at 6, I think we end up reaching for someone that the front-office will claim they had ranked 3rd or something like that on their board. My best guess...a CB, as we literally have zero worth a crap on the entire roster and Bowles likes his CB's. 

For what it's worth, here's my top 10 prospects (regardless of position or need):

1- Myles Garrett, OLB- Texas A&M

2- Jonathan Allen, DL- Alabama

3- Leonard Fournette, RB- LSU

4- Malik Hooker, FS- Ohio State

5- Dalvin Cook, RB- Florida State

6- Mike Williams, WR- Clemson

7- Reuben Foster, ILB- Alabama

8- Derek Barnett, DE- Tennessee 

9- Tim Williams, OLB- Alabama

10- Quincy Wilson, CB- Florida

Also, for what it's worth, I'd be fine with anyone in my top 10 other than Barnett, as he doesn't fit our team needs whatsoever. 

7 hours ago, Stonehands said:

Based on the makeup of our roster and where our holes are the greatest, in my opinion, the best choice for us would be Cam Robinson LT Alabama.  I think once the combine happens and all of the film work is done, he is a legitimate choice at number 6 and would help us for the next 10 years at that position.  Also, the drop off in this draft at that position is steep after him.  Build an offensive line and your quarterback play is improved immediately.  Look at the Cowboys for that model.

I agree 100%

7 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Offer Cleveland our #1 and any player on our roster except Leonard Williams for the #1 pick....so we can select Watson. 

So we have to trade up for a guy projected in the bottom of the first round because they won the championship? Trade down and go offensive line or corner - we already have two young QBs that contrary to popular belief, we know very little about. Petty got the crap beat out of him with horrible line play. Build the line, see how the young QBs play. If they don't play well, we'll have a high pick next year when the QB class is supposed to be much better. We don't need 3 young QBs.

14 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

So we have to trade up for a guy projected in the bottom of the first round because they won the championship? Trade down and go offensive line or corner - we already have two young QBs that contrary to popular belief, we know very little about. Petty got the crap beat out of him with horrible line play. Build the line, see how the young QBs play. If they don't play well, we'll have a high pick next year when the QB class is supposed to be much better. We don't need 3 young QBs.

You're right theres always next year theres no urgency to win or succeed we waiting this long.............:sarc:

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I keep doing those Fanspeak drafts and I keep ending up with Fournette as BAP and then wincing at the remaining OL choices once you get into round two. 

The problem is that there aren't very many OT's worth a crap in this draft. After Robinson and the dude from Wisconsin who's name I can't spell, the rest aren't even first round caliber players (although I'm sure a couple will go in the 1st due to being OT's...). We'd be wise to grab a Guard in the 2nd, as there are about 3 or 4 that are top 25-45 caliber players. Feeney from Indiana would be my first pick, but I could see Seattle taking him at the end of round 1 with their OL being so bad. 

Right now I really like Fournette, Reuben foster and mike Williams. This team consistently passes on elite skill position players to take non exciting positions.  While sometimes that's the right thing to do I'd love to see an elite player like an Adrian Peterson or Julio jones type on the jets.  A guy that keeps defensive coordinators awake at night.

as far as qbs go as much as I like trubiski and Watson I don't know if those guys are fits on this roster because we already have developmental qbs. I think we might need to look at pro style qbs like Kizer, Josh Allen from Wyoming if he comes out or maybe Brad Kaya in the 2nd. We need a guy that might be able to play right away if petty or Hackenberg aren't showing anything and I don't want a veteran QB. The veteran route is just not something I'm willing to go through.

25 minutes ago, jwill182 said:

The problem is that there aren't very many OT's worth a crap in this draft. After Robinson and the dude from Wisconsin who's name I can't spell, the rest aren't even first round caliber players (although I'm sure a couple will go in the 1st due to being OT's...). We'd be wise to grab a Guard in the 2nd, as there are about 3 or 4 that are top 25-45 caliber players. Feeney from Indiana would be my first pick, but I could see Seattle taking him at the end of round 1 with their OL being so bad. 

Wouldn't it just be easier to re-sign Winters? Him and Carpenter are a pretty good set of guards, imo. 

13 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

Right now I really like Fournette, Reuben foster and mike Williams. This team consistently passes on elite skill position players to take non exciting positions.  While sometimes that's the right thing to do I'd love to see an elite player like an Adrian Peterson or Julio jones type on the jets.  A guy that keeps defensive coordinators awake at night.

as far as qbs go as much as I like trubiski and Watson I don't know if those guys are fits on this roster because we already have developmental qbs. I think we might need to look at pro style qbs like Kizer, Josh Allen from Wyoming if he comes out or maybe Brad Kaya in the 2nd. We need a guy that might be able to play right away if petty or Hackenberg aren't showing anything and I don't want a veteran QB. The veteran route is just not something I'm willing to go through.

This is a problem for Maccagnan: Reuben Foster is a significantly better player than Darron Lee, and Watson is an infinitely better prospect than Hackenberg, but you can't touch either Foster or Watson in this draft because you burned your 1 and 2 on those positions last year. Hell, I think I'd rather take on Mahomes as a project than Hackenberg or Petty, but here we are. 

I like Jabrill. People will be hating on me until he blows up the combine and moves up in the draft.

The guy is a animal. Dedicated, hard working individual that can play all sorts of positions and is Bowles type of player. He will be a better version of bucannon and will make an impact day 1. He will make everyone around him better.

On top of that, he will be a THREAT on special teams :).

Write it down, peppers won't fall past 8. :)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, PepPep said:

I have been coming around to this pick as well. For the following reasons:

1. Its a position of dire need. 

2. Physically, he is a beast. A legit LT prospect b/c of his length and athleticism that can play G or RT because of his strength. 

3. He is a safe pick. As mentioned above, if he struggles at LT he can play RT, if he is better as a bruising run blocker, he can play G. He has a great chance to be a Pro Bowl caliber O-lineman on the Jets for the next 10 years regardless of where he plays.

4. He is equally as good of a run blocker as he is as a pass blocker. Even if he is not quite as polished as I would like in pass protection. 

5. He can step right in and start. At least at RT. Not a project player. He may struggle a bit in pass protection with footwork but make up for that with his physicality, long arms and strength. 

6. He really impressed me in the Championship game. He looked dominant under the brightest of lights- in both the run and pass game.

People will say its a reach. People will say the off field issues are a concern. But a reach is only a reach if the player does not pan out. I mean, who wouldn't take Brady or R.Wilson in the first round, in hindsight, right? I mean, any player can be a bust, even big, talented O-linemen. Nobody knows what injuries will do to a player's body. But, to me, C.Robinson looks like a perennial pro bowl caliber player for the next 10 years.   

what if the draft Cam and put him RT, move Shell to RG, draft Pocic in 3rd as C, buy some Elma Glue and patch Clady back together scare him with some mice so he takes a pay cut

Clady. Carp, Pocic, Shell, Cam

thats a big mf'er line right there

9 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

Trade this year's 6th pick for a #2 this year and #1 and $2 next year. Use the ammo next year to go all in on Darnold. 

There is only two ways to get Darnold, your team has to be picking number one, OR somehow a team like the Bucs, Colts, Titans are picking 1st, NO team with a need at QB now, or maybe in a year, or 2 is passing on Darnold, or even thinking of trading out of the pick no matter what you offer, a talent like his only comes along once every 5-10 years.

15 minutes ago, goober36 said:

I like Jabrill. People will be hating on me until he blows up the combine and moves up in the draft.

The guy is a animal. Dedicated, hard working individual that can play all sorts of positions and is Bowles type of player. He will be a better version of bucannon and will make an impact day 1. He will make everyone around him better.

On top of that, he will be a THREAT on special teams :).

Write it down, peppers won't fall past 8. :)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

No

6 minutes ago, faba said:

I like Peppers at 6 right now- playmaker that can help also on special teams

What position are you playing him at? Wasn't really a playmaker on defense. He isn't a shutdown corner in the traditional mode you'd look for in a top 10 pick of a CB. Helping on special teams is nice, but that's such a low impact thing now, especially on kickoffs. Just don't see them going with another tweener in the first round. 

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What position are you playing him at? Wasn't really a playmaker on defense. He isn't a shutdown corner in the traditional mode you'd look for in a top 10 pick of a CB. Helping on special teams is nice, but that's such a low impact thing now, especially on kickoffs. Just don't see them going with another tweener in the first round. 

Well if they were to pick him - then I image he would be a S...most likely SS to start but maybe has FS in him since he has the speed.

btw - he won a couple of their games this season by himself - think one of them was Colorado

but i dunno if i want him ..with the other choices

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is a problem for Maccagnan: Reuben Foster is a significantly better player than Darron Lee, and Watson is an infinitely better prospect than Hackenberg, but you can't touch either Foster or Watson in this draft because you burned your 1 and 2 on those positions last year. Hell, I think I'd rather take on Mahomes as a project than Hackenberg or Petty, but here we are. 

I still think you can take foster and replace David Harris with him because you do play 2 inside linebackers so lee wouldn't be wasted. Also if you really want another project QB with Watson you can cut petty in training camp and sign a veteran to start the season. There are different ways to do it and I don't think we're stuck but we're not in an optimal position either.

its hard to look at this situation and not draft another QB in this draft but to tell you the truth I think this team would be best served to draft another QB in 2018.  While I understand that the grass alwayseems greeener at QB the following season and when we get there it ends up not being true,I don't think think that will be the case next year.  Darnold, Rosen and browning all look like the real deal. This year there are interesting prospects but I feel like we have to try to identify the Prescott or Carr. 

Draft Watson and trade back in for one of Williams/Barnett or whoever stands out among the outside pass rushers

The dream for me is Garrett and Watson fall. Jets take Garrett at 6, and trade back into the first for  Watson. Almost an instant playoff contender

Archived