Jump to content

Chargers moving to LA


JetsFanatic
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sources: Chargers plan to announce move from San Diego to Los Angeles

Almost one year to the day that the Ramsmoved to Los Angeles, the San Diego Chargers now likely are planning to do the same.

The Chargers plan to announce as early as Thursday that they are moving to Los Angeles, ending a 55-year stint with San Diego and returning to their birthplace, league sources said.

The Chargers played their inaugural season in Los Angeles in 1960 before moving to San Diego in 1961.

The Chargers have notified NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, and other league owners, of their intent to move to Los Angeles for the 2017 season, sources said.

But as one league source cautioned Wednesday night, Chargers chairman Dean Spanos had yet to send a formal relocation letter to the NFL, yet to notify public officials in Los Angeles or San Diego of the team's move, or even tell the members of the San Diego organization about his plans. The source insisted nothing is final.

But unless Spanos unexpectedly changes his mind at the last moment -- and there certainly have been enough plot twists in this San Diego stadium saga -- the Chargers will be moving to Los Angeles.

This is said to have been an extremely difficult decision for Spanos to reach, sources said. While the economics of the decision have been clear, Spanos' loyalty and connection to San Diego have countered it. But in the end, Spanos' efforts to find a new stadium are now in their 16th year, with no solution in sight. This stalemate is occurring at a time when the Rams are becoming more established in the Los Angeles market. Spanos is said to believe he needs to start fighting for the Los Angeles market as soon as possible.

As of Wednesday night, the Chargers' intent was to become the second team in less than a year to move to Los Angeles, giving the city two NFL teams after it went more than two decades without having one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm assuming the Chargers will be sharing the Coliseum with the Rams until the Rams new stadium is finished. Then they'll share that, too. Funny, the new joint will be called City of Champions Stadium.  I guess they took their cue from The New Dump, a/k/a MetLife in more delusional  quarters. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

No teams to two. Then everyone gets bored and eventually back to no teams again.

But it's gonna' be one hell of s good time before ownership starts looking for a new location in 2019.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Fast forward five years and the NFL is debating on where to move two teams from LA. 

Agreed. 

And it's a 2 hour plus drive each way, not like many San Diego season ticket holders are going to follow the team north.  Just awful.

SAR I

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is the thing:

The Los Angeles Stadium and Entertainment District at Hollywood Park is where the Rams and the Chargers are going to play.

Knowing this, how has Dodge NOT bought all the rights to the name of this?

Is it just me, or is this a marketing opportunity lost?

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Kevin L said:

Sources: Chargers plan to announce move from San Diego to Los Angeles

Almost one year to the day that the Ramsmoved to Los Angeles, the San Diego Chargers now likely are planning to do the same.

The Chargers plan to announce as early as Thursday that they are moving to Los Angeles, ending a 55-year stint with San Diego and returning to their birthplace, league sources said.

The Chargers played their inaugural season in Los Angeles in 1960 before moving to San Diego in 1961.

The Chargers have notified NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, and other league owners, of their intent to move to Los Angeles for the 2017 season, sources said.

But as one league source cautioned Wednesday night, Chargers chairman Dean Spanos had yet to send a formal relocation letter to the NFL, yet to notify public officials in Los Angeles or San Diego of the team's move, or even tell the members of the San Diego organization about his plans. The source insisted nothing is final.

This sounds like a ploy on Spanos part. He is trying to bring San Diego to the table on his terms. By announcing this but not filing any paperwork He can always go back and get a better deal by threatening to follow through with the move. Spanos knows LA can barely support one team and supporting two will be a challenge. He is using the move to try and force San Diego to sweeten the deal. Spanos is playing a dangerous game here. If San Diego sticks to their guns they lose their team and Spanos will be forced to move to LA which could be a disaster for him and the Chargers. Spanos played his card. Your move San Diego.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

This sounds like a ploy on Spanos part. He is trying to bring San Diego to the table on his terms. By announcing this but not filing any paperwork He can always go back and get a better deal by threatening to follow through with the move. Spanos knows LA can barely support one team and supporting two will be a challenge. He is using the move to try and force San Diego to sweeten the deal. Spanos is playing a dangerous game here. If San Diego sticks to their guns they lose their team and Spanos will be forced to move to LA which could be a disaster for him and the Chargers. Spanos played his card. Your move San Diego.

Cool lets make the rich richer and screw the taxpayers

 

How long before Woody threatens to move the jets to London?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-chargers-to-la-plaschke-20170111-story.html

 

Not a Bill Plaschke fan but this is a good article. This won't end well for the Chargers

Seriously.   This will be an epic mistake for them.   And, it makes no sense.  Take the relocation money they have to spend, and that's half of buying a new stadium.  As it is, they won't even own a stadium, they'll just rent it.  What kind of NFL team just wants to rent another team's stadium?  (hahaha)

No one will go see them play.  No one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/chargers-plan-to-play-in-30000-seat-stubhub-center/ar-AAlMrqT?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Chargers will temporarily play at the Stub Hub Center, a 30,000 seat stadium until 2019 when they will join the Rams at in a new stadium. 

This is ridiculous. They have to be bluffing SD. I didn't think the NFL would even allow a team to play in this small a facility.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe that an owner has a right to move the team but the naming rights and so on of that existing organization should have to remain within a geographic area.  

 Franchise owner in many other areas has similar restrictions    

Like the Ravens, move the team but name remains and another owner who can make a tremendous profit can pick up that name in that area.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

I believe that an owner has a right to move the team but the naming rights and so on of that existing organization should have to remain within a geographic area.  

 Franchise owner in many other areas has similar restrictions    

Like the Ravens, move the team but name remains and another owner who can make a tremendous profit can pick up that name in that area.  

Why?  When Barron Hilton started that team they were the Los Angeles Chargers.  Did San Diego pay anything for the move? The owners own the team and the name.  It's part of the asset. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Matthew007b said:

least charger fans do not have to travel that far but still....sad to see a franchise move like that.  Wondering what the Raiders will do next..?  

That is the ride from hell. SD to LA on the 405 sucks! I have done it and it took 4 hours during rush hour. Weekends are equally as congested and crowded.

I just cannot understand the rationale of moving 2 teams into a dead market. The Rams moved out of LA because they had no support. They had no support last season upon return - I read somewhere that they were dying with failed ticket sales, and now they are bringing another team in, one that is really alien to that city. Who is going to go to those games I wonder?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SD is right to not bleed its residents for a new football stadium. All cities get out of the stadium is bragging rights which is not good value. Cities have to stop racing to the bottom to keep pro teams. 

Eventually these moves are going to seriously hurt the NFL. Few people will want to commit financially to becoming fans of a team who might up and leave in five or ten years when they decide they want a new stadium or new city parking or whatever.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

..... the naming rights and so on of that existing organization should have to remain within a geographic area.  

Damn right it should.

But somehow it seems like those rules have been totally shelved, otherwise we'd have new names for the Chargers, Rams and Raiders soon, and I've heard not a peep of that.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why?  When Barron Hilton started that team they were the Los Angeles Chargers.  Did San Diego pay anything for the move? The owners own the team and the name.  It's part of the asset. 

I understand the free alienation of capital and so on but I think that these teams have a bond with the communities in which they reside.  Even Adam Smith recognized that capital divorced from the people or the area is destructive and corrosive.  

In effect I believe that such moves which disregard the fans who have supported the team and the league are harmful to the league but of course they, the NFL, are free to do as the choose. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...