Chargers moving to LA

JetsFanatic

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, HessStation said:

If the Jets left NY/NJ...would you still follow them as a fan?

oh helllll no.

and how many loser LA residents are gonna actually switch their allegiance?

So who actually roots for this team.

Ahem...my family has had NYJ season tickets since 1988...through all the ******* bullsh*t that this franchise has put us through.  My brother moved to LA 11 years ago and I followed suit 4 years ago.  We are die hard NYJ fans and continue to follow our hometown team closely after all of these years.  That being said, with the excitement of an NFL franchise coming to LA, we did jump in as Rams STH this past season to see what the buzz was all about, regardless of the team that was playing on the field. Well fast forward to now, we regretted that decision entirely.  My brother made it to 1 game, I made it to 2, the team sucked, the Coliseum is a sh*tty venue for NFL football and the list goes on and on...needless to say, we will not be renewing.  

It was hard for this city to rally around one NFL team in the Rams and it's going to be even harder for them to rally around 2 teams now.

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The Chargers were interviewing Anthony Lynn as a HC. To me he just seems like an unusual choice because they're entering a new city and they really need a name with pop.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. now who do we know that can do that?

Rex Ryan?

Sucks for San Diego, but taxpayers going welfare to team owning billionaires so they can build a stadium is stupid.

With the new Los Angeles Stadium opening in 2019 in Inglewood, California being shared by the LA Rams and LA Chargers  that means two teams will be sharing a stadium that is farther away from their namesake city than Metlife Stadium is from NYC.

13 hours ago, jetophile said:

I'm assuming the Chargers will be sharing the Coliseum with the Rams until the Rams new stadium is finished. Then they'll share that, too. Funny, the new joint will be called City of Champions Stadium.  I guess they took their cue from The New Dump, a/k/a MetLife in more delusional  quarters. 

Nope.  Two year deal at the Stub Hub Center with 27,000 seating capacity (can be expanded to around 30,000).  Very up-close and intimate place to view an event but a bizarre business decision.

StubHubimages.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

5 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Here is the thing:

The Los Angeles Stadium and Entertainment District at Hollywood Park is where the Rams and the Chargers are going to play.

Knowing this, how has Dodge NOT bought all the rights to the name of this?

Is it just me, or is this a marketing opportunity lost?

Care to explain this?

39 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Nope.  Two year deal at the Stub Hub Center with 27,000 seating capacity (can be expanded to around 30,000).  Very up-close and intimate place to view an event but a bizarre business decision.

StubHubimages.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

Might be because there's nowhere else to go. If I'm not mistaken Rams attendance plummeted towards the end of the season and the thinking behind why is because the Colisseum is quite possibly the worst place to watch a game in the world. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Might be because there's nowhere else to go. If I'm not mistaken Rams attendance plummeted towards the end of the season and the thinking behind why is because the Colisseum is quite possibly the worst place to watch a game in the world. 

The Coliseum might have been a no-go because they already host both the Lambs and USC, that's a lot of wear and tear on the field.  Who knows  whether the Lambs negotiated an NFL exclusive.  They refurbished the Coliseum extensively, but it is no palace.  I remember the days when the long communal urinals were overflowing by halftime -- talk about having to have good footwork.  I would have thought the Rose Bowl would be more the Chargers' speed, but from a fans perspective Stub Hub is a great place to watch a football game.  No worries about TV blackouts either.

44 minutes ago, ThisYearsModel said:

The NFL gave them $300 Million and they have to pay $550 Million as a relocation fee.  So they decided to go on the cheap instead of building their own.  These guys will be the Jets of Los Angeles.

They should pray to be the Jets of LA. The Jets do quite well with a first class training facility and a nice stadium. Unbelievable how whining has become a popular past time for Jets fans.

Nothing like message board posters from the East Coast proclaiming that there aren't any football fans in the greater Los Angeles area. 

This is a good move for the Chargers and for the NFL.

Fact is that the Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers and USC are hugely popular, and each team draws strong audiences. Chargers and Rams will do the same, once the new stadium is completed. 

31 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Nothing like message board posters from the East Coast proclaiming that there aren't any football fans in the greater Los Angeles area. 

Fact is that the Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers and USC are hugely popular, and each team draws strong audiences. Chargers and Rams will do the same, once the new stadium is completed. 

Take it from someone on the ground here in LA, this is ******* odd.

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

You could not be more wrong if you tried.  This is a terrible move for the Chargers.  They left a loyal fan base behind in San Diego and simply do not have a following in Los Angeles.  If they had moved before the Rams' return, maybe they would have had a shot as the first NFL team back in town.  Aside from the short-lived nostalgia surrounding the Rams, this is still a Raiders town and had they returned there would be a built-in rabid fan base.  Fans, or more accurately, former fans in San Diego will absolutely not travel to Los Angeles.  Moreover the Chargers drew a very small slice of their base from South Orange County, so they will not draw from that area as a whole.

This move is nothing short of a disaster.

3 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

The Coliseum might have been a no-go because they already host both the Lambs and USC, that's a lot of wear and tear on the field.  Who knows  whether the Lambs negotiated an NFL exclusive.  They refurbished the Coliseum extensively, but it is no palace.  I remember the days when the long communal urinals were overflowing by halftime -- talk about having to have good footwork.  I would have thought the Rose Bowl would be more the Chargers' speed, but from a fans perspective Stub Hub is a great place to watch a football game.  No worries about TV blackouts either.

Rose Bowl rejected any NFL teams playing there.

18 hours ago, slats said:

This is what I was gonna say. The locals are well used to never attending an NFL game, they're not gonna be so quick to start going every week. 

The Raiders will be the big winners in this game of musical stadiums. They may struggle to develop a home field advantage, but they'll be sold out every week with their opponents' fans making Vegas their #1 road trip priority. Hell, I don't gamble, but I'd use the Jets as an excuse to see the city and an Elvis impersonator or two. And I could probably put together a party of 6-8 without even trying. 

Vegas as a sports city will be a homerun. The hockey team figures to sell out with visitors.  The Raiders will do the same thing. Davis and his bowl of chili haircut are going to print money. If they get even marginal local support they will be more than fine. 

LA is increasingly a Latino town. And even the other people that comprise the rest of the population are from somewhere else or fans of somebody else. Off the top of my head, some people I know in LA are Skins and Pats fans, along with lots of Jets and Giants NY transplants. Seems to me the NFL is buying into an image of LA that is from a long time ago rather than what it really is today. Granted, LA has the entertainment industry, but they aren't going to turn out for 16 NFL games each fall 80k strong. The math doesn't work. And frankly as here the luxury box thing only goes so far. 

Archived