Chargers moving to LA

JetsFanatic

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, johnnysd said:

As a San Diegan this move is all about greed on the Spanos family. They essentially want the city of San Diego to give them a stadium so they can make millions of extra money, and increase their valuation by maybe a billion all while giving nothing back to the city and never ever really negotiating in good faith. There have been a number of very strong proposals from Chula Vista and even Escondido which are really part of the extended San Diego but the Spanos' always refused to really add anything to the costs and instead consistently asking for additional perks such as free land that they could develop and take all that money too. They felt that San Diego being a small market would link and ultimately cave to their game of chicken but they didn't. Hard reality is that unless the city can make additional revenue from the stadium, a new stadium and keeping the Chargers has very little economic impact on the city. It's only really 8 events a year, not like the Padres that create significant revenue from 80+ events at Petco. The Spanos family is in for a very rude awakening. Not many San Diegans wlll follow them to the new Stadium in my opinion, and LA will not embrace them either. Plus all they are doing is renting the use of the LA stadium not building an asset for themselves. Plus they have to pay like a $500 million relocation fee. They could have taken that money, found an angel willing to invest a few hundred million for partial ownership and built their own stadium outright, but they are just too greedy. Would not shock me if this report is yet another chickensh*t attempt at a power move both those losers.

Eff you!

Not because of you but because you live in San Diego and I'm jealous!

19 hours ago, Matthew007b said:

least charger fans do not have to travel that far but still....sad to see a franchise move like that.  Wondering what the Raiders will do next..?  

Raiders plan to go to Vegas .   750 million in public money , and it's hard for the NFL to say No to that deal.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Personally, I don't think the Las Vegas Raiders will do very well either.

All so dumb, these moves.

Not "New Jersey Jets" levels of dumb, but still.....

Vegas will be a gold mine for the Raiders.  Not to mention doesn't hurt Nevada doesn't have state income tax.  ( like that as it makes it easier to compete in Free agency+ doesn't cost as much to sign your own players).

16 hours ago, johnnysd said:

As a San Diegan this move is all about greed on the Spanos family. They essentially want the city of San Diego to give them a stadium so they can make millions of extra money, and increase their valuation by maybe a billion all while giving nothing back to the city and never ever really negotiating in good faith. There have been a number of very strong proposals from Chula Vista and even Escondido which are really part of the extended San Diego but the Spanos' always refused to really add anything to the costs and instead consistently asking for additional perks such as free land that they could develop and take all that money too. They felt that San Diego being a small market would link and ultimately cave to their game of chicken but they didn't. Hard reality is that unless the city can make additional revenue from the stadium, a new stadium and keeping the Chargers has very little economic impact on the city. It's only really 8 events a year, not like the Padres that create significant revenue from 80+ events at Petco. The Spanos family is in for a very rude awakening. Not many San Diegans wlll follow them to the new Stadium in my opinion, and LA will not embrace them either. Plus all they are doing is renting the use of the LA stadium not building an asset for themselves. Plus they have to pay like a $500 million relocation fee. They could have taken that money, found an angel willing to invest a few hundred million for partial ownership and built their own stadium outright, but they are just too greedy. Would not shock me if this report is yet another chickensh*t attempt at a power move both those losers.

It's not even the free stadium issue, per se.  Spanos has a hard on for a downtown stadium.  Had he been agreeable to staying in Mission Valley he could have had a sweetheart deal.  Greedy prick.

Nothing like message board posters from the East Coast proclaiming that there aren't any football fans in the greater Los Angeles area. 
This is a good move for the Chargers and for the NFL.
Fact is that the Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers and USC are hugely popular, and each team draws strong audiences. Chargers and Rams will do the same, once the new stadium is completed. 

Here is a SoCal resident saying that this move is stupid. No one will care about the Chargers except when the Raiders come in and their fans take the stadium over.So they will play in a soccer stadium that seats 27K. No one cares about the Rans and they have a history in LA. I now hope the Raiders move to SD. That would be a scream.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

You could not be more wrong if you tried.  This is a terrible move for the Chargers.  They left a loyal fan base behind in San Diego and simply do not have a following in Los Angeles.  If they had moved before the Rams' return, maybe they would have had a shot as the first NFL team back in town.  Aside from the short-lived nostalgia surrounding the Rams, this is still a Raiders town and had they returned there would be a built-in rabid fan base.  Fans, or more accurately, former fans in San Diego will absolutely not travel to Los Angeles.  Moreover the Chargers drew a very small slice of their base from South Orange County, so they will not draw from that area as a whole.

This move is nothing short of a disaster.

Well, I've lived in Southern CA since 1975. Been to more Chargers, Raiders and Rams games than I can remember.

I agree that the Raiders would've been a better fit. It made more sense on multiple levels. But that's not happening.

And this move sucks for the San Diego Chargers fans. But the number of those is minuscule. 

The Chargers are a business, and they're in the business of making money. The organization will be worth hundreds of millions more just by moving to LA. If they put a halfway decent product out there, they'll be sold out every game. 

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Well, I've lived in Southern CA since 1975. Been to more Chargers, Raiders and Rams games than I can remember.

I agree that the Raiders would've been a better fit. It made more sense on multiple levels. But that's not happening.

And this move sucks for the San Diego Chargers fans. But the number of those is minuscule. 

The Chargers are a business, and they're in the business of making money. The organization will be worth hundreds of millions more just by moving to LA. If they put a halfway decent product out there, they'll be sold out every game. 

"75? So friggin what?  I have been here since the late 60's.   Season ticket holder for both Rams and Raiders.  You must be dead from the neck up if you cannot sense the abject apathy in town for the Chargers.  There are virtually no Chargers fans here.  They will have to attempt to build a brand new fan base from the bottom up.  Given the fact that Los Angeles did just fine without an NFL team -- and there certainly hasn't been a clamoring for an NFL team for years prior to Kroenke's pulling the plug on St. Louis -- Spanos is pissing in the wind with a fan at his back.  Nobody give two $h!ts about the Chargers here.  They are doomed.

11 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

Nope.  Two year deal at the Stub Hub Center with 27,000 seating capacity (can be expanded to around 30,000).  Very up-close and intimate place to view an event but a bizarre business decision.

StubHubimages.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

Ha, I didn't even know this place existed!  Tells ya what I know about the Left Coast. It reminds me of that unfinished 'American Dream' mall fail in The New Dump Parking Lot.  Still in the works, I hear, but meanwhile it's an eyesore that's been rusting out for going on 10 years.  It makes the abandoned Sochi Olympic grounds look like Shangri-La. What was this about again?  The Chargers.  Right. 

I don't understand this move at all.  Freakin' odd.  I get so annoyed with the NFL in general at times that I almost hope it collapses under its own weight. Thanks for the input from all who live in the area. 

3 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

"75? So friggin what?  I have been here since the late 60's.   Season ticket holder for both Rams and Raiders.  You must be dead from the neck up if you cannot sense the abject apathy in town for the Chargers.  There are virtually no Chargers fans here.  They will have to attempt to build a brand new fan base from the bottom up.  Given the fact that Los Angeles did just fine without an NFL team -- and there certainly hasn't been a clamoring for an NFL team for years prior to Kroenke's pulling the plug on St. Louis -- Spanos is pissing in the wind with a fan at his back.  Nobody give two $h!ts about the Chargers here.  They are doomed.

That sucks that the Chargers temporary field only seats 27 thousand . That's a lot of Raider fans who aren't going to get tickets for that game.( it's like the Raiders lose a home game temporary - till they get into their new digs). 

I think the Chargers are doomed( LA should only have one team) , and I see them eventually moving to St Louis or Some other city desperate for the NFL.     Only one who come out a winner is Spanos.    His team net worth just increased, and it wouldn't surprise me if he sells the team in the next couple years.  

17 hours ago, HessStation said:

If the Jets left NY/NJ...would you still follow them as a fan?

oh helllll no.

and how many loser LA residents are gonna actually switch their allegiance?

So who actually roots for this team.

The Boomer And Carton Show says members of the Busch family have discussed buying Jets and moving them to St. Louis

8 hours ago, jetophile said:

Ha, I didn't even know this place existed!  Tells ya what I know about the Left Coast. It reminds me of that unfinished 'American Dream' mall fail in The New Dump Parking Lot.  Still in the works, I hear, but meanwhile it's an eyesore that's been rusting out for going on 10 years.  It makes the abandoned Sochi Olympic grounds look like Shangri-La. What was this about again?  The Chargers.  Right. 

I don't understand this move at all.  Freakin' odd.  I get so annoyed with the NFL in general at times that I almost hope it collapses under its own weight. Thanks for the input from all who live in the area. 

It's a soccer stadium (Galaxy) that has also held HS football, X-Games, etc.  Nice little facility with obviously great sight lines. It's adjacent to the USTA's western training facility, the tennis stadium is in in the background.  Just never designed for high capacity or NFL teams.

5 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

The Boomer And Carton Show says members of the Busch family have discussed buying Jets and moving them to St. Louis

What is the estimated value of the Jets?  It's got to be up there. They have no operating issues (other than on the field) so the team would have to sell at top dollar.  I  know the built-in revenue for NFL teams is tremendous due to the TV money, but it's hard to imagine this working on any level other than the NFL owners pocketing a lot money by putting an expansion team in NY to replace the Jets.  Back to the Chargers, I would have thought that Spanos could have leveraged a lot more help from the NFL in getting the stadium he wanted in San Diego.  That would have left Los Angeles open for an expansion team and a big payday for the owners, including Spanos. 

4 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

What is the estimated value of the Jets?  It's got to be up there. They have no operating issues (other than on the field) so the team would have to sell at top dollar.  I  know the built-in revenue for NFL teams is tremendous due to the TV money, but it's hard to imagine this working on any level other than the NFL owners pocketing a lot money by putting an expansion team in NY to replace the Jets.  Back to the Chargers, I would have thought that Spanos could have leveraged a lot more help from the NFL in getting the stadium he wanted in San Diego.  That would have left Los Angeles open for an expansion team and a big payday for the owners, including Spanos. 

No the Raiders had the option of being the team that shared La with the Rams.   ( if the Chargers didn't accept ).     That was the Rams owner , and NFL biggest nightmare scenario.        

51 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

No the Raiders had the option of being the team that shared La with the Rams.   ( if the Chargers didn't accept ).     That was the Rams owner , and NFL biggest nightmare scenario.        

No question that the Raiders would have posed a greater threat had the Chargers passed on their option and left an opening for them.  However, an expansion team in Los Angeles would have been far preferable to both the NFL and the Rams.  That was the plan.  The Raiders' Vegas relocation process has been smooth by Raider/NFL standards for this reason.  The NFL will have to settle for London and Mexico City for exorbitant expansion team fees.  God only knows what a Los Angeles expansion team would have cost.

Now we all know the new Chargers HC likes Tyrod Taylor. And that Philip Rivers maybe isn't enamored with the Chargers org and possibly wants out. So if the Bills cut TT and the Chargers sign him. Would you want to make a deal for Rivers. Esp if they are willing to take on part of his contract. I'd do it if the price was right. 

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Now we all know the new Chargers HC likes Tyrod Taylor. And that Philip Rivers maybe isn't enamored with the Chargers org and possibly wants out. So if the Bills cut TT and the Chargers sign him. Would you want to make a deal for Rivers. Esp if they are willing to take on part of his contract. I'd do it if the price was right. 

Definitely would've done it if he were younger.  He's past his prime though.

On the Fox pregame show before the Falcons game the hosts like Jimmy Johnson, etc  all went out of their way to kiss Spanos's ass saying how much he really wanted to keep the Chargers in SD and agonized over it. What a load of crap. He could have stayed if he wanted to. And he's a billionaire.  Ok so I'm not in a good mood because I'm watching NEP take apart Houston. Hate to see them in the SB again. Hate it!

Archived