Extend Macc and Bowles

varjet

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That said, if Bill O'Brien is available to us, I'd take him over Bowles without a second thought.  It's not a shot against Bowles but rather a guy with a far better (IMO) risk/reward.  The NFL is about coaching and QBs.  Many have covered this but there are certain coaches you don't pass up if you have a chance on. 

NFL Network just announced Bill O'Brien is not available and wont be available win or lose. End of discussion. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

NFL Network just announced Bill O'Brien is not available and wont be available win or lose. End of discussion. 

I'm not surprised to hear that.   I have no idea why the Texans would fire him.  I'm also not unhappy about this because if maybe they'll be stupid enough to fire him after next year (at which point the Jets might have an opening).

I just don't understand how McCagnan gets a pass. The 2 quarterback picks will go down as disastrous. Especially Hackenberg. Darron Lee, to this point , is one of the wort first round selections. The Clady move, which I hated at the time, was a mistake. I could go on.

Both men have made mistakes, both should be given this season to improve

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

I just don't understand how McCagnan gets a pass. The 2 quarterback picks will go down as disastrous. Especially Hackenberg. Darron Lee, to this point , is one of the wort first round selections. The Clady move, which I hated at the time, was a mistake. I could go on.

Both men have made mistakes, both should be given this season to improve

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The NFL is about winning success is measured on wins and losses. 

The NY Jets roster is a mess. 

There are no excuses in football. 

29 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Image result for todd bowles pics

mo·ron
ˈmôrˌän/
noun
informal
  1. a stupid person.
    synonyms: foolidiotassblockheadduncedoltignoramusimbecilecretindullardsimpletonclod;

Image result for mike maccagnan ny jets

id·i·ot
    ˈidēət/
    noun
    informal
    1. a stupid person.

glass houses, joewilly12.  glass houses.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

I believe you are totally correct. After next season Woody will have to make a decision on Bowles and Maccagnan since he wouldn't want them as "lame ducks" in the final year of their respective contracts. Already two potential candidates have backed out or been forbidden to interview. Studsville decided to stay in Denver rather than risk losing out on what he already had. I think if Woody extends each man's contract by one year it would give a better impression of stability.

Thank you sane post...

2 minutes ago, Jets_Win said:

That 10 day search for the HC must have been exhaustive.

Please people here are whining that the OC search is taking a couple of weeks, I don't want hear that they hired a HC to quick. People just love to whine and complain.

43 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Macc carried 4 QB's on the roster none NFL worthy epic fail. 

The worst part about the whole thing is it shows he makes decisions because he's afraid of the outcome. You don't carry 4QBs unless you're afraid you're wrong about 1 or more of them. They carried 4 Qbs because macc was afraid of letting one go and them having success elsewhere. Afraid to risk going into the season without Fitzpatrick. Afraid to let hackenberg play...

Doesn't instill confidence that he'll be able to find a QB. 

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm not surprised to hear that.   I have no idea why the Texans would fire him.  I'm also not unhappy about this because if maybe they'll be stupid enough to fire him after next year (at which point the Jets might have an opening).

He will be available in 2018.  The owner is another difficult person.

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

Maccagnan, yes.

Bowles, no.

Maccagnan has proven himself a good young GM with a strong eye for talent from a scout's point of view.

Bowles is mistake-prone and the way his D laid down this year was disgusting, I don't think I've seen that level of locker room dysfunction since the Kotite days.

SAR I

Macc mismanaged the cap and the roster configuration. He signed Futz when no one else wanted him to more money. He is mistake prone and needs to get some good hits in this draft.

The Jets lack speed on D. He has had two drafts me we still have no speed rusher to force QB's to the teeth of the Jets D. He makes moves like drafting Leo and then does not make the right move to supplant the embedded pieces to make this work. 

This Macc good, Bowles bad stuff is extremely short sighted and wrong. The signing of Futz and then drafting a QB in round two who could not get reps is a reason for termination IMO.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

I like the "park Bill O'Brien" strategy.

Maccagnan convinces O'Brien to take the Jets OC job, parks him there for a year, let's him work with Hackenberg and Petty, makes him HC for the 2018 season.

Next year is a lost cause.  Point the ship towards 2018 with Hackenberg a year older, O'Brien used to New York and having good ideas on which coaches to keep, giving input on two drafts.

SAR I

i like the idea of bill obrien to be the jets hc.  he struck me as being of of the independent thinkers to come out the bellichicken camp. i am also willing to see if bowles can turn things around so i don't necessarily think next season will be the failure a lot of people think.

4 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Macc mismanaged the cap and the roster configuration. He signed Futz when no one else wanted him to more money. He is mistake prone and needs to get some good hits in this draft.

The Jets lack speed on D. He has had two drafts me we still have no speed rusher to force QB's to the teeth of the Jets D. He makes moves like drafting Leo and then does not make the right move to supplant the embedded pieces to make this work. 

This Macc good, Bowles bad stuff is extremely short sighted and wrong. The signing of Futz and then drafting a QB in round two who could not get reps is a reason for termination IMO.

Or his signing of revis.  Or his signing of mo wilk.  Or his signing of buster screen.  or his taking a 3rd dlineman when beasley was the obvioudly pick etc etc etc.

Mac makes Idzik look like ron wolf.

• 4 months later...
On 1/14/2017 at 6:21 AM, varjet said:

Here is a radical concept:

2 Years ago Woody commissioned an exhaustive search to find the GM and HC to take the Jets forward.   His selections were praised, and they received four year contracts.

They were also told to competitively rebuild.  This looked like an OK idea in 2015, but a very bad idea in 2016.  Macc was Executive of the Year in 2015, and Bowles won 10 games.

2016 was marked with some very bad decisions and actions by both Mac and Bowles, but Woody decided to retain them based on the overall picture.  The conclusion of most is that a true rebuild has to happen.

So now since the job has effectively been redefined, and new assistants need to be hired for the next phase, I think the only choices are to extend them (or fire them, which they won't).  Give them an extra year to implement the rebuild.  That way they can attract better assistants and encourage Bowles and Macc to make better decisions.  This last point is important-both Macc and Bowles will be incentivized to make short-term decisions to keep their jobs.

But in a year where we elected a 70 year old President who has filled his cabinet with 70+ year old experienced people, Macc and Bowles need a Coughlin type to guide them.

WIthout that, the Jets are doomed until the team completely hits the bricks.

Was just thinking about this. I agree.

You just can't in good conscious have Bowles playing for his job with this roster. It's just not fair.

They need a year of ramp-up, then it's into phase 1 of a rebuiit team.

I know it doesn't really work that way all the time.

DC

Is it better to max out your salary cap to win 5 games and get the #6 pick, or....

Hoard cap dollars, win 2 games, and have a shot at drafting a franchise QB...

i mean I love what we're doing right now. I'll enjoy watching some young guys compete with a real sense of hope for future possibilities now 

To the OPs point about how this should be one of the most appealing jobs out there--I think it's still somewhat true. But I think that the jets missed their opportunity to really gain huge widespread appeal when they failed to get their stadium in Manhattan.

Without casting any blame, I think that this particular failure deprived the jets of becoming an NFL "it team". 

On 1/14/2017 at 10:18 AM, rangerous said:

i tend to agree but at the same time if extending bowles helps land a better oc and coaching staff then it should be considered.  And what's the worst thing that can happen?  if bowles gets launched with two years left woody would be out of pocket that money.  at some point he has to determine if he's doing the right thing for the team or for his pocketbook.

How does anyone know how this OC and this CS will do?

This team could and should look bad this year.   The roster is awful.  

But hopefully they can look like the Browns last year.   You can tell they were prepared, coached and tried.   They just lost virtually all their games.  No one is calling for Jackson's head.

Personally I think they are overthinking the roster. 

41 minutes ago, varjet said:

This team could and should look bad this year.   The roster is awful.  

But hopefully they can look like the Browns last year.   You can tell they were prepared, coached and tried.   They just lost virtually all their games.  No one is calling for Jackson's head.

Personally I think they are overthinking the roster. 

The roster now is void of household names, which many of didn't contribute in a positive manner (on and off the field) last season. 

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:50 AM, PCP63 said:

Don't see what the POTUS and his staff have to do with the Jets. 

And don't see why in the hell we should keep coddling these guys and making excuses for them. Bowles' job was never redefined. He made many, many, many poor decisions. Too many to be salvaged at this point. Especially when he continued to trot Fitz out there week after week.

Mac, on the other hand, I'm on the fence, and think he should get another year. Sure, he drafted Williams, but that was an obvious pick. Took no talent or evaluation to determine he was the correct pick. Even then, he wasn't even close to our biggest need, especially with Beasley and Ray on the board (hindsight is 20/20, which is why I mentioned Ray).

Sure, he found Marshall and Anderson, but UDFAs are pretty much luck of the draw. That being said, it's rare to hit that good. We'll have to see with Mac.

This is spot on. WTF have either done to warrant any consideration of extension? Mac has drafted very poorly IMO - Marshall is a fumble machine and Anderson may turn out to be ok, but the Jury is still out. He drafted a QB with a 2nd round pick that the genius HC refused to play last year at 4-11 in week 17. The said HC is in way over his head and in these eyes, does nothing well as a HC. He brings nothing to improve the team, the players, or the organization as a whole.

On 1/14/2017 at 8:21 AM, varjet said:

2 Years ago Woody commissioned an exhaustive search to find the GM and HC to take the Jets forward.   His selections were praised, and they received four year contracts.

They were also told to competitively rebuild.  This looked like an OK idea in 2015, but a very bad idea in 2016.  Macc was Executive of the Year in 2015, and Bowles won 10 games.

2016 was marked with some very bad decisions and actions by both Mac and Bowles, but Woody decided to retain them based on the overall picture.  The conclusion of most is that a true rebuild has to happen.

So now since the job has effectively been redefined, and new assistants need to be hired for the next phase, I think the only choices are to extend them (or fire them, which they won't).  Give them an extra year to implement the rebuild.  That way they can attract better assistants and encourage Bowles and Macc to make better decisions.  This last point is important-both Macc and Bowles will be incentivized to make short-term decisions to keep their jobs.

But in a year where we elected a 70 year old President who has filled his cabinet with 70+ year old experienced people, Macc and Bowles need a Coughlin type to guide them.

77c.jpg

On 1/14/2017 at 6:55 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Or his signing of revis.  Or his signing of mo wilk.  Or his signing of buster screen.  or his taking a 3rd dlineman when beasley was the obvioudly pick etc etc etc.

Mac makes Idzik look like ron wolf.

Forget about Macc's total inability to evaluate the qb position:  LOOK AT OUR OFFENSIVE LINE

On 1/14/2017 at 2:40 PM, Jetdawgg said:

Gave Josh friggin McCown more than twice the money any other team would offer him.  Let Fitz toy with him for an entire offseason.  Wasted two second round picks, three if you count the Calvin Pryor 2.0 we drafted this season.  Gave Revis and Wilkerson asinine contracts.  Wrecked the O-line.  Let Snacks go when he was the best player on our defense. Drafted a 200lb 5'10 ILB whose specialty is coverage but every tight end ate him alive last season.  And now his supposed crowning achievement is creating the worst roster in the NFL.

Need I go on?

19 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

This is spot on. WTF have either done to warrant any consideration of extension? Mac has drafted very poorly IMO - Marshall is a fumble machine and Anderson may turn out to be ok, but the Jury is still out. He drafted a QB with a 2nd round pick that the genius HC refused to play last year at 4-11 in week 17. The said HC is in way over his head and in these eyes, does nothing well as a HC. He brings nothing to improve the team, the players, or the organization as a whole.

Bowles is going to be the fall guy for next year's 4-12 disaster.  Woody thinks now he will keep Macc but the pressure will mount as he endures yet another embarassing sh_tshow in 2017 while the Giants and Patriots compete for  yet another Super Bowl Woody will have FIRE MACAGNAN being flown over the Training Facility.

On 1/14/2017 at 9:21 AM, varjet said:

Liked the idea until politics were for some reason were thrown in.

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Liked the idea until politics were for some reason were thrown in.

So his big solution is to not replace Macagnan and Bowles but hire someone to "guide" them.  Oh okay.

WHY DON"T WE JUST GET ANOTHER HC AND GM?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Archived