Jump to content

Cimini expects Jets to target Glennon


AFJF
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, prime21 said:

How much better is Winston that Glennon?

Tampa choose Winston instead of having Glennon and a boat load of picks and/or players for that #1 spot.

That says a lot right there. 

What????  They had the 2nd overall pick in a draft with good qbs!  It doesnt say anything about glennon. 

Its a no brainer.......... Wahhhhhhh.  Next? 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Huh? That says nothing. When you have the first pick in the draft and there is a consensus #1 QB available, you take that QB and immediately bench the "prospect" you drafted in the 3rd round the year or 2 before. 

The Skins would have done the same thing despite having Cousins a couple of years ago. Does that "say a lot" about Cousins? When the Chargers had a chance to draft Rivers, they didn't care that Brees looked good. 

I am not saying that Glennon is the answer, but he deserves and will eventually get a chance to prove the doubters wrong. Will he be a Cousins or an Osweiller? No one knows, but I'd take my chances with him. Worst case, he is terrible and we end up with a top 2 pick in next years draft and draft one of the studs coming out in next years draft. 

Signing Glennon is a no brainer provided it doesn't cost us "Osweiller" money. Some of you are acting as if we can just pass on Glennon because there are so many potential franchise QBs sitting in free agency or available in trade. 

Nothing against Glennon as I believe he is worth a look if the Jets can clear enough cap space.  But the worst case scenario would be that Glennon signs a multi-year deal at starter money, turns out to be mediocre (not terrible / not great) and the Jets go 8-8 and end up with the 15th pick.  Then going into the 2018 season not knowing what they have with Petty or Hackenberg and end up drafting another QB in a mid to late round to develop behind Glennon, Petty and Hackenberg.  

One positive thing about Glennon is that he did play in a West Coast Offense at NC State under Tom O'Brien so maybe Morton's offense would not be very hard to pick up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On February 1, 2017 at 10:48 AM, rangerous said:

hmmm...drew staton was on the jets for a brief period until he was told he wouldn't get a chance to compete.  he started 8 games for the cards a couple of seasons ago and didn't do too badly.  i wonder if the jets could take another look. he's signed with the cards through next season.

Stanton is better than Petty/Hack but he's still not very good

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

The guy is a NC product.  HES YOUNG and tough..... 

in his 2013 rookie season he took over on week 4. In 13 games he threw for 2608 yards and 19 tds vs 9 picks. 

 

THIS IS AS A ROOKIE. 

In 2014, Lovie Smith comes in as coach and brings in josh mccown.  Glennon is benched for no reason other than lovies love for mccown. TB is offered 6 different trades for Glennon but no dice

Mccown flops.  Glennon only fills in here and there when mccown goes down with reoccuring injuries playing catch up.  Had some great moments and some bad moments.  Still,  hes in his 2nd year. 

THEN,  jameius winston.  End of story. 

He was a 3rd roynd pick in  2013. Geno and another were selected before him. 

 

 

So....... again tell me how he did NOT get a raw deal here and how he is NOT a very interesting option.  Also,  tell me who has better potential/upside

Christian Hacken-

 

Oh God I couldn't type that without laughing

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

If Palmer is not in the Cardinals plans for next year, I would be curious to see what they do. I like Arians he is a good coach, I am not sure they will let Drew go or make him the starter. Who knows though, that would be a bold move. I don't know what his contract situation is.They will have to target a QB in free agency. I agree with the above poster on Romo, I wouldn't  go near him with his injury history. 

stanton is signed through next season at 2.5 million. hard to say whether he would be a better option than glennon.  he's older but glennon has more game experience.  it all comes down to what the jets think they have in hack and whether they want a guy for one season or maybe 3 or 4 seasons. i suspect they want at least 2 seasons since they were ready to give fitz a 3 year deal before he held out.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Huh? That says nothing. When you have the first pick in the draft and there is a consensus #1 QB available, you take that QB and immediately bench the "prospect" you drafted in the 3rd round the year or 2 before. 

The Skins would have done the same thing despite having Cousins a couple of years ago. Does that "say a lot" about Cousins? When the Chargers had a chance to draft Rivers, they didn't care that Brees looked good. 

I am not saying that Glennon is the answer, but he deserves and will eventually get a chance to prove the doubters wrong. Will he be a Cousins or an Osweiller? No one knows, but I'd take my chances with him. Worst case, he is terrible and we end up with a top 2 pick in next years draft and draft one of the studs coming out in next years draft. 

Signing Glennon is a no brainer provided it doesn't cost us "Osweiller" money. Some of you are acting as if we can just pass on Glennon because there are so many potential franchise QBs sitting in free agency or available in trade. 

I give up.  The Glennon-haters know so much they even know more than 32 NFL GM's who would all have taken Winston, the best college qb since Luck, at 1 overall 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

Your opinion.  If you have a legitimate source to back up the claim, feel free to link it.  But NFL Coaches, even Lovie, don't generally bench future franchise QB's who perform and produce just to play "their guy" for sh*ts and giggles.

Petty has played far more in recent time than Glennon has.  Glennon's play, it should be reminded, was occuring around the same time we Jets fans were excited to watch Geno Smith's rookie campaign.  That's a long time ago in NFL years. 

You could indeed, true.

Wasn't ready in 2016.  We don't know if he'll be ready in 2017 as yet.  Safe bet is not.

You should try and remember the things you say.  It was not long after a certain Texan signed a certain large contract, and you were using that to talk up Glennon.

Excellent.

Be assured that I will.

Many variables here:  do they Jets think either Petty or Hack will be legit franchise QB's?  If not, then it's smarter to get another potential legit guy in the mix.  Do the jets think one of the two can bridge to another legit guy in a year or two, or while a 2017 draft pick QB sits?  If so, then they don't need a guy in FA.  

I don't think there is an argument that to-date Glennon > Petty/Hack combined.  The question is one of if Glennon is worth 12 million (or more if the market dictates that) when the alternative is a far cheaper draft pick QB, or a team preference for the far cheaper Petty/Hack development duo.

Mop up trash time.  We heard this argument for years about Geno.  Trash time is called trash time for a reason mate.

Just going to tell you, these "if you take this small slice and make it 16 games" projections are always wrong, and a sign of horrible analytical thinking, and far too many are guilty of using it to prop up weak arguments and weak players (we got this alot for Geno if you recall).  

It's akin to the 'Shoulda Been INT's" fake news stat.  Judge what they did, not some silly projection of what you think they could have done if this, that and this other thing might have happened.

Again, it says absolutely nothing about his character.  it says he was either intelligent enough to know talking sh*t would screw him in FA, or that his agent was intelligent enough to tell him that talking sh*t would screw him in FA.  And this is a VERY low vbarrier of intelligence, don;t let the fact Geno Smith was too dumb to understand this color your judgement.  Any vaguely intelligent person would know not to go sperging and causing problems as a young QB who just got benched.

Ok

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a perfect world we could sign Glennon for 1 year.  He gets to bet on himself like Cousins and pursue a mega contract in 2018, and we get a look, compensatory pick and time to develop the others.  

I support cutting the dead weight and making the cap room to pay a premium for that option.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, varjet said:

In a perfect world we could sign Glennon for 1 year.  He gets to bet on himself like Cousins and pursue a mega contract in 2018, and we get a look, compensatory pick and time to develop the others.  

I support cutting the dead weight and making the cap room to pay a premium for that option.  

This isn't the NBA, you can sign him to a multi-year contract and be able to get out of it in a year or two. It's about the money guaranteed. Also, some people are so concerned about 1 year deals like we have anything on this roster that has shown anything on the field. Hack is a wish upon a star and Petty only showed that he wasn't better than Geno Smith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

This isn't the NBA, you can sign him to a multi-year contract and be able to get out of it in a year or two. It's about the money guaranteed. Also, some people are so concerned about 1 year deals like we have anything on this roster that has shown anything on the field. Hack is a wish upon a star and Petty only showed that he wasn't better than Geno Smith.

Whatever contract Glennon gets will have a team option early on

 

i love how Brock Oaweiler is the cautionary tale.  Not only is Glennon a better passer Osweiler's team just got to the second round of the playoffs can my team fail like that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Advance Media's Connor Hughes reports the Jets "seem to have their eyes on" impending free agent QB Mike Glennon.
Spending the money it will take to land Glennon -- Adam Schefter estimated his market at $13-15 million in December -- a year after spending a second-round pick on Christian Hackenberg would be a clear admission of failure, but it has become obvious Hack is not the future. Glennon was competent in 18 starts in 2013 and 14 before Jameis Winston showed up in Tampa Bay, and he should get a shot at a starting job this offseason.
Source: NJ Advance MediaFeb 4 - 10:10 AM
Player Outlook
Game Log
Career Stats
Draft Advice



Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Advance Media's Connor Hughes reports the Jets "seem to have their eyes on" impending free agent QB Mike Glennon.
Spending the money it will take to land Glennon -- Adam Schefter estimated his market at $13-15 million in December -- a year after spending a second-round pick on Christian Hackenberg would be a clear admission of failure, but it has become obvious Hack is not the future. Glennon was competent in 18 starts in 2013 and 14 before Jameis Winston showed up in Tampa Bay, and he should get a shot at a starting job this offseason.
Source: NJ Advance MediaFeb 4 - 10:10 AM
Player Outlook
Game Log
Career Stats
Draft Advice



Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

LOL at "clear admission of failure" when the Jets stated they would totally "redshirt Hackenberg, which means THIS year he's like a rookie QB who would backup and hold a clipboard. Hey, IF this article was written a year from now, sure. By since it wasn't, it's typical hyperbolic BS which might as well have been written by anyone on a football forum anywhere. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

LOL at "clear admission of failure" when the Jets stated they would totally "redshirt Hackenberg, which means THIS year he's like a rookie QB who would backup and hold a clipboard. Hey, IF this article was written a year from now, sure. By since it wasn't, it's typical hyperbolic BS which might as well have been written by anyone on a football forum anywhere. 

Even if it was a clear admission of failure, woud anyone care?  If Idzik was willing to admit he failed with Geno and drafter Carr the next season, would anyone even remember Geno was drafted?

They need a GM who doesn't hang on to guys or refuse to replace guys because of his ego.  If Hack didn't show dramatic improvement over the course  of the season, you can't hesitate to take a QB because he "might get it' at some point.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

LOL at "clear admission of failure" when the Jets stated they would totally "redshirt Hackenberg, which means THIS year he's like a rookie QB who would backup and hold a clipboard. Hey, IF this article was written a year from now, sure. By since it wasn't, it's typical hyperbolic BS which might as well have been written by anyone on a football forum anywhere. 

Having Hack dress in his pajamas in the sidelines all season long and not even playing in a completely meaningless week 17 game wasn't a "total admission of failure?"

  • Thumb Down 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I hope we get Glennon on 2-3 year, cuttable after 2 deal.

This says 0 about Hackeneberg or Petty. When Hackenberg was drafted it was said by every pundit that he needed about 3 years before being ready. Same with Petty.

I think Mac goes after Glennon but we end up with Cutler instead

 

Too many other teams with more talent and better ownership/management will also be interested

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, AFJF said:

Even if it was a clear admission of failure, woud anyone care?  If Idzik was willing to admit he failed with Geno and drafter Carr the next season, would anyone even remember Geno was drafted?

They need a GM who doesn't hang on to guys or refuse to replace guys because of his ego.  If Hack didn't show dramatic improvement over the course  of the season, you can't hesitate to take a QB because he "might get it' at some point.

Same type of dumb logic that led us to draft a JAG safety like Pryor over Carr and Bridgewater 3 years ago

 

Man that Vick signing sure worked wonders

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, thadude said:

Having Hack dress in his pajamas in the sidelines all season long and not even playing in a completely meaningless week 17 game wasn't a "total admission of failure?"

I don't know. It is what they said they were going to do from the jump. It seems a bit unusual, but even the statement they were committed to doing it in the first place seemed unusual. 

I don't even want to get into the usual pissing contest it turns into on here when any QB is mentioned, no less Hack. I'm not even saying if he's good or not, just that the tone of the writer seems off when the Jets did exactly what they said they would do, which was analogous to an NBA team drafting a Euro guy, but letting him stay overseas for a year - a draft and stash. Again, not saying if Hack himself will be a bust or not, just the stance of the article. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

I don't know. It is what they said they were going to do from the jump. It seems a bit unusual, but even the statement they were committed to doing it in the first place seemed unusual. 

I don't even want to get into the usual pissing contest it turns into on here when any QB is mentioned, no less Hack. I'm not even saying if he's good or not, just that the tone of the writer seems off when the Jets did exactly what they said they would do, which was analogous to an NBA team drafting a Euro guy, but letting him stay overseas for a year - a draft and stash. Again, not saying if Hack himself will be a bust or not, just the stance of the article. 

This regime is clueless.  Mac reached for Hack when idiot writers, Twitter trolls and amateur hour draftologists blasted him for passing on El Stiffo Paxton Lynch so he dodged that bullet only to make a self inflicted gunshot wound and reach for another dud Qb in round 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, thadude said:

This regime is clueless.  Mac reached for Hack when idiot writers, Twitter trolls and amateur hour draftologists blasted him for passing on El Stiffo Paxton Lynch so he dodged that bullet only to make a self inflicted gunshot wound and reach for another dud Qb in round 2

I'm not sure if Macc drafting Hack was due to outside pressure from the people you mentioned above but I do know that taking Hack in the 2nd round was truly ridiculous. 

We might as well have given the Bucs that pick for Glennon, Atleast we would have avoided what we ultimately got with Fitz.

Hack would have been there in the 3rd/4th round. We continue to treat 2nd round picks with little value or drafting players that are injury prone

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'm not sure if Macc drafting Hack was due to outside pressure from the people you mentioned above but I do know that taking Hack in the 2nd round was truly ridiculous. 

We might as well have given the Bucs that pick for Glennon, Atleast we would have avoided what we ultimately got with Fitz.

Hack would have been there in the 3rd/4th round. We continue to treat 2nd round picks with little value or drafting players that are injury prone

Looks it's an NFL rule, all Jets second round picks must bust. Although I think we are trying to work on that with 1st round now. AKA the Phantom attacker #TinyLinbacker

To be fair if Macc knew Fitz was going to be that bad, and Hack was the reach of the decade Glennon may be a Jet already.

I'm just going to shack my head in April, as we pass on the Monster Running back, and Wide Receiver. Then Draft another Corner. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, thadude said:

This regime is clueless.  Mac reached for Hack when idiot writers, Twitter trolls and amateur hour draftologists blasted him for passing on El Stiffo Paxton Lynch so he dodged that bullet only to make a self inflicted gunshot wound and reach for another dud Qb in round 2

And given you have absolutely no idea what Hack will or will not be when given the chance you're pretty much talking out of your ass

  • Thumb Down 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2017 at 1:24 PM, Adoni Beast said:

I hope we get Glennon on 2-3 year, cuttable after 2 deal.

This says 0 about Hackeneberg or Petty. When Hackenberg was drafted it was said by every pundit that he needed about 3 years before being ready. Same with Petty.

Not doubting your point, but if  the Jets knew it would take 3 years for him to be ready to get on the field, what was the point of drafting a 2nd round pick, who they only have rights to for 4 years, and not be able to use him for 3?  Develop him for another team?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/5/2017 at 9:21 AM, thadude said:

I think Mac goes after Glennon but we end up with Cutler instead

 

Too many other teams with more talent and better ownership/management will also be interested

I'd rather this happen to be honest.  Glennon may be an upgrade but I don't think he is a super strong starter.  Cutler might be had for less term.  I know most people on here hate Cutler but I'd rather have him than overpay over committ to glennon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'm not sure if Macc drafting Hack was due to outside pressure from the people you mentioned above but I do know that taking Hack in the 2nd round was truly ridiculous. 

We might as well have given the Bucs that pick for Glennon, Atleast we would have avoided what we ultimately got with Fitz.

Hack would have been there in the 3rd/4th round. We continue to treat 2nd round picks with little value or drafting players that are injury prone

People called me crazy for wanting to trade our first for Glennon last year

 

Turns out we coulda traded both our first and second for Glennon and still be in a better position than what we are today

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'd rather this happen to be honest.  Glennon may be an upgrade but I don't think he is a super strong starter.  Cutler might be had for less term.  I know most people on here hate Cutler but I'd rather have him than overpay over committ to glennon.

I see a pro and a con to this:

1)  As a pro, he probably wins us a few games because he can throw the ball deep to Robbie Anderson and maybe Devin Smith.   But then he gets hurt and then we can see one of the others play.

2)  He wins us a handful of games and the Jets are out of the running for Darnold or another franchise QB next year.

A team should either have a franchise QB or is working toward one.  We are working toward one with Hack.  Try and look for another one (don't reach stupidly).  Build the team while you find a messiah.  A Hoyer type is a good fill in the blank guy, but Cutler is an expensive overshoot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, thadude said:

People called me crazy for wanting to trade our first for Glennon last year

 

Turns out we coulda traded both our first and second for Glennon and still be in a better position than what we are today

 

Honestly you are right on this one. We drafted an undersized LB and a practice squad QB. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...