Houston Texans, OC George Godsey agree to part ways

Maxman

5 hours ago, win4ever said:

I'm very interested to see who Hackenberg works with this off season for his mechanics, because I think he could make a major leap if he could get his feet to be better.  

That would be Jordan Palmer, brother of Carson Palmer. Hackenberg worked with him before pro day last year.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/01/what_does_chan_gaileys_departure_mean_for_jets_chr.html

"Meanwhile, Hackenberg this offseason plans to repeat part of his pre-draft routine and work out with personal quarterbacks coach Jordan Palmer, younger brother of Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer."

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, JetNation said:

Godsey and O'Brien were close. O'Brien coached him at Georgia Tech. Godsey was the one who pushed O'Brien to get Hackenberg to PSU.

An O'Brien-Hackenberg connection....what could possibly go wrong with that?  

he's worth a look.  the texans are much like the jets in that they don't really have a qb.  didn't they use two or three this season?  yet they made the playoffs.  and the previous season he had to deal with qb injuries.  plus he was qb coach when fitz was on the texans.  fitz may be maligned for this past season but he did pretty well for the texans until he broke his leg.

I am not against the hire per se, but the essential question has to be is Godsey better than Chan Gailey?

And I for one am not convinced that anyone that the Jets have been reported to be interested in is an upgrade.  

I will say it again and again Chan Gailey had flaws but he was hardly the one who was responsible for the poor offensive output this year.  His schemes and play designs had folks open and the QBs either for inept play or inexperience couldn't execute, that isn't on Chan.  

We have to have someone though and Godsey wouldn't be an awful pick IMO. 

Just now, munchmemory said:

"The Texans’ offensive production under Godsey is unlikely get Jets fans all that excited as the Texans went from the 14th ranked scoring offense one year before Godsey took over, to 21st and 28th over the next two seasons respectively."

Yup.

Two factors though.

1. I know Godsey had his playcall duties taken away last year and the Texans still sucked, so I don't know if that was more talent or not.

2. The Texans have gone through a multitude of QBs via injury and FA

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Two factors though.

1. I know Godsey had his playcall duties taken away last year and the Texans still sucked, so I don't know if that was more talent or not.

2. The Texans have gone through a multitude of QBs via injury and FA

Look.  All I'm saying is why make another questionable move with this guy? If he's the best qualified OC candidate out there (which I doubt), then buy a Magic 8 Ball and let it call the plays.

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Look.  All I'm saying is why make another questionable move with this guy? If he's the best qualified OC candidate out there (which I doubt), then buy a Magic 8 Ball and let it call the plays.

So you expect a top notch OC candidate to put his livelihood on the line to coach a qb-less team???

Once we decided to give bowles one more year this is the best we can do. This guy has a pretty good pedigree. O'Brien is a very sharp guy. If he liked him, I trust that this guy is at the very least competent. The problem he and O'Brien had was that the QBs on their roster flat out sucked. But at least their is some connection between him and Hackenburg. I doubt it works but I doubt it would work with any OC.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Outside of Norv, I can't think of one who is currently without a job.

Well, that's why they pay Mcc the big bucks.  It's his job (at least until he gets canned after next season) to find one. And if Godsey is his answer? Then fire Mcc today 'cause he's a clueless dick.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So you expect a top notch OC candidate to put his livelihood on the line to coach a qb-less team???

Once we decided to give bowles one more year this is the best we can do. This guy has a pretty good pedigree. O'Brien is a very sharp guy. If he liked him, I trust that this guy is at the very least competent. The problem he and O'Brien had was that the QBs on their roster flat out sucked. But at least their is some connection between him and Hackenburg. I doubt it works but I doubt it would work with any OC.

I expect better than Godsey.  If you're satisfied with him and what he brings in terms of upgrading our offense?  God bless ya.

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I expect better than Godsey.  If you're satisfied with him and what he brings in terms of upgrading our offense?  God bless ya.

Thank you, and same to you  .

Once upon a time, there was this young OC who got his play calling duties stripped by a HOF HC . A few yrs later, that same person became a HC and led his team to a SB calling his own plays .  As a young OC, you're subject to the whims of whatever your HC determines is the best way for his team to win . If your HC was a successful  OC who became a HC, it's probably more than likely that he's more interested in having you  run his scheme than what you truly want to run .

It's quite possible that nobody has seen the real offense that this man envisions .

So this comes down to who you blame more, basically...

Godsey had his playcalling duties stripped away after a couple bad (BAD) games... They said he "shared" the duties will O'Brien but I think it's ok to assume O'brien did most of it.

So... Do you trust that Bill O'Brien knows what he's doing and couldn't trust Godsey to actually put together a gameplan or work with players?... Or do you not trust O'Brien and think he made a knee jerk reaction that stopped Godsey from having much of a chance?

I have to think the Jets can do better, but maybe they just want a really vanilla OC for a season... Buy low on a guy who has some QB teaching experience. 

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I am not against the hire per se, but the essential question has to be is Godsey better than Chan Gailey?

And I for one am not convinced that anyone that the Jets have been reported to be interested in is an upgrade.  

I will say it again and again Chan Gailey had flaws but he was hardly the one who was responsible for the poor offensive output this year.  His schemes and play designs had folks open and the QBs either for inept play or inexperience couldn't execute, that isn't on Chan.  

We have to have someone though and Godsey wouldn't be an awful pick IMO. 

Actually,  it is . If we're going to jump all over Rodgers for the miserable play of his defensive players, then we should do the same with Gailey .  Gailey knew Fitzpatrick better than any Jet coach, and 2 times he(Fitzpatrick) got the man fired . He also got Fitzpatrick 2 huge paydays .

15 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I honestly believe the problem was that they both had a bum, Osweiller, shoved down their throats by the Owner and GM. It's interesting that all the rumors about O'Brien being fired at the end of the season started when they sent Osweiller to the bench. Houston probably got wind that if that happened, O'Brien would have a job in a matter of hours, and this was a compromise decision to let the OC go. 

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Actually,  it is . If we're going to jump all over Rodgers for the miserable play of his defensive players, then we should do the same with Gailey .  Gailey knew Fitzpatrick better than any Jet coach, and 2 times he got the man fired . He also got Fitzpatrick 2 huge paydays .

Chan Gailey wasn't fired. 

As far as Godsey leaving Houston, I have to wonder if he was the fall guy there.  Management presumably with O'Brien's input loaded up on Osweiler, and that might go down as the worst NFL move for the whole off season last year.  Is Godsey mostly responsible for what ensued?  I am thinking no.

On the other hand did he make an evident positive contribution?  None that I can see.

As others have noted no top shelf OC is going to be on the Jets' CS for the 17 season.  Get some warm body under contract and start working.  I doubt they do better than this guy.

12 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Thank you, and same to you  .

Once upon a time, there was this young OC who got his play calling duties stripped by a HOF HC . A few yrs later, that same person became a HC and led his team to a SB calling his own plays .  As a young OC, you're subject to the whims of whatever your HC determines is the best way for his team to win . If your HC was a successful  OC who became a HC, it's probably more than likely that he's more interested in having you  run his scheme than what you truly want to run .

It's quite possible that nobody has seen the real offense that this man envisions .

I envision the Jets offense averaging 40 points a game. That doesn't mean they should hire me as offensive coordinator. Results matter.

Archived