Houston Texans, OC George Godsey agree to part ways

Maxman

I admittedly don't know much about this guy. However just briefly looking over his history, hiring him may make more sense than people realize. For starters, he played QB for Chan Gailey at Georgia Tech (Bill O'Brien was an assistant coach at the time). So there may actually be some continuity there.  His system could have some similarities to both Gailey's AND O'Brien's. At this point Petty has had enough time working in Gailey's system, while Hackenberg knows O'Brien's. 

Trying to see the bright side here. :unsure:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he would be a terrible hire-I love how some like to smell hot garbage and say it is so good like warm cookies coming out of oven
-the texans offense was awful and much of it was the play calling-yes they stuck out with brock but they did not use miller or their wr weapons properly and their play calling was terrible throughout

only jet fans would cheer for a guy to be hired that ran a terrible offense-one that got worse as his tenure grew

I understand a real coach would not want to come here and work with bowles although I am sure he would be inspired by his choice to kick a field goal down 40+

Just now, kmnj said:

he would be a terrible hire-I love how some like to smell hot garbage and say it is so good like warm cookies coming out of oven
-the texans offense was awful and much of it was the play calling-yes they stuck out with brock but they did not use miller or their wr weapons properly and their play calling was terrible throughout

only jet fans would cheer for a guy to be hired that ran a terrible offense-one that got worse as his tenure grew

I understand a real coach would not want to come here and work with bowles although I am sure he would be inspired by his choice to kick a field goal down 40+

Godsey had his play calling taken away from him and they still sucked.

10 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I admittedly don't know much about this guy. However just briefly looking over his history, hiring him may make more sense than people realize. For starters, he played QB for Chan Gailey at Georgia Tech (Bill O'Brien was an assistant coach at the time). So there may actually be some continuity there.  His system could have some similarities to both Gailey's AND O'Brien's. At this point Petty has had enough time working in Gailey's system, while Hackenberg knows O'Brien's. 

Very good post, thanks.  Of course he hasn't been hired yet but it's starting to make more and more sense to me now. 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Godsey had his play calling taken away from him and they still sucked.

I would argue obrien sucks as well-he brought in a guy that thinks like him so things did not change much when he took over- he has a great D there though

9 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Good post.

49 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

As far as Godsey leaving Houston, I have to wonder if he was the fall guy there.  Management presumably with O'Brien's input loaded up on Osweiler, and that might go down as the worst NFL move for the whole off season last year.  Is Godsey mostly responsible for what ensued?  I am thinking no.

On the other hand did he make an evident positive contribution?  None that I can see.

As others have noted no top shelf OC is going to be on the Jets' CS for the 17 season.  Get some warm body under contract and start working.  I doubt they do better than this guy.

Agreed...Whoever we hire is almost certainly getting fired after next season (and they know it) So no-one is taking this job unless there's simply nothing better.  At least this guy played QB, was a QB coach and apparently liked Hack.  For those factors alone I think he would be great to get for a year.

48 minutes ago, section314 said:

I honestly believe the problem was that they both had a bum, Osweiller, shoved down their throats by the Owner and GM. It's interesting that all the rumors about O'Brien being fired at the end of the season started when they sent Osweiller to the bench. Houston probably got wind that if that happened, O'Brien would have a job in a matter of hours, and this was a compromise decision to let the OC go. 

O'Brien is going to be a successful head coach in the NFL or college for many years to come. But even the best head coaches will struggle without a franchise QB. Same with an OC. 

We all know how bellichick did in Cleveland without a Brady. O'Brien was a magician in Penn state and has gotten the most out of his roster in Houston. 

Brock was definitely forced down they're throats. You don't pay a guy 72 million after 7 games..period. Texans staff had to play the man after they paid him. It wasn't okay for Bill or the OC to pull him until week 15 and that's plain to see. I'm not saying that means he some Offense guru, but logically speaking Brock was obviously put in that spot to be the franchise QB. I don't know what kind of GM pays a guy 72 million for 7 games....but whatever. Honestly I was baffled when I heard he got that much..that's the only reason he left Denver. Stupid kid. Had a SB ready team just to leave for the money. You'll make plenty enough to survive either way yet you choose the Texans.

25 minutes ago, kmnj said:

three of their star players would not agree with this and have said so publicly that the play calling was not good

Eh, some players always think the play calling sucks if the ball isn't going to them. I'm not saying the play calling was good necessarily, I'm saying the QB was awful and no amount of "good" play calling was going to fix it.

24 minutes ago, kmnj said:

by they way the texans paid brock a boat load of money because their gm and coaches thought he was the guy.....

O'brien didn't want him. That's the crux of where the rumors that he'd quit came from.

I have to laugh at all the comments on Godsey. No one on this board knows anything about him - yet he sucks. Has to since the Texans fired him. Do a little research and you'll find out he was strictly a scapegoat. Godsey has a done a good job with the Texans, the offense has been capable in spite of the complete uncertainty at QB for the past 3 years. Their situation might actually be worse than ours, hard to believe but true. Osweiler was responsible for Godsey getting relieved of his official playcalling duties - O'Brien was no better once he took over. Bottom line, this guy was not the problem in Houston..........a terrible cast of characters acting as QB's was.  

Whether he can be a good OC for the Jets or not, I don't really know. I get paid to sell enterprise cloud solutions, not provide a definitive commentary on the merits of a relatively unknown OC. But reading the comments here, it's clear that conclusions are being made with little to no supporting evidence either way. Not advocating for Godsey by the way. I just find it interesting how we, as Jets fans, assume the absolute worse in every case and automatically jump on the XYZ sucks bandwagon - regardless of who XYZ is or our lack of insight into them as a coach.  

As a side note, since the specualtion came from Cimini, I certainly would take it with a grain of salt. God knows who the Jets are actually targeting for the OC position. Godsey may not even be on the radar. That's my rant for the year.....peace.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Macc looks at Texans.  Shocking.

It's like when we laugh at the fans thinking the only FA's we're going to sign are from the last team the GM was tied to... but actually happening this time. 

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Brock was definitely forced down they're throats. You don't pay a guy 72 million after 7 games..period. Texans staff had to play the man after they paid him. It wasn't okay for Bill or the OC to pull him until week 15 and that's plain to see. I'm not saying that means he some Offense guru, but logically speaking Brock was obviously put in that spot to be the franchise QB. I don't know what kind of GM pays a guy 72 million for 7 games....but whatever. Honestly I was baffled when I heard he got that much..that's the only reason he left Denver. Stupid kid. Had a SB ready team just to leave for the money. You'll make plenty enough to survive either way yet you choose the Texans.

He made $72M and you're calling him stupid?  That is pretty funny.  

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

He made $72M and you're calling him stupid?  That is pretty funny.  

If you have a dream and a chance at major success, and will make plenty of money with either deal... and you chose the Texans. I know where your dream stands within yourself. Money doesn't make you rich. Not to get philosophical on you, but life and personal achievements make you rich. Money leaves. Super bowl rings and memories don't.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Look.  All I'm saying is why make another questionable move with this guy? If he's the best qualified OC candidate out there (which I doubt), then buy a Magic 8 Ball and let it call the plays.

The Magic 8 Ball knows it's a bad situation here. I heard it turned the job down. 

IMG_0979.GIF

Message board trolls are so ready to defecate on whoever the Jets hire they can't wait until an actual hire is made so they unleash their insipid attacks on any rumored names. I just hope the "smarter" trolls hold some of their best material back for the actual hire 

18 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

If you have a dream and a chance at major success, and will make plenty of money with either deal... and you chose the Texans. I know where your dream stands within yourself. Money doesn't make you rich. Not to get philosophical on you, but life and personal achievements make you rich. Money leaves. Super bowl rings and memories don't.

1. $72M is $72M.  It makes you rich.  Your dreams, my dreams and Brock Osweilers dreams and personal achievements give us dreams and personal achievments.  It is a job.  They do it to get paid.  

2. The Texans D was as good as the Broncos and so were their skill position players.  No reason he couldn't win a super bowl with Lamar Miller and Nuk.

3. Elway basically gave him a vote of no confidence.  I would go where I was wanted and would get the best shot.  

9 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Why is everyone convinced that we will be so horrible next year? Haven't even had the draft or start of free agency yet. 

That's easy to answer. When you wake up every morning or evening depending on your schedule with no hope of success, it's easy to think that way .  Life is what you make of it, and it starts in the mind .

The sacrificial goat of O'Brien who is like Bowles as far as being really in control of his side of the ball.  It is Obrien who should be blamed for the awful Houtson offense, not this dude.

Also this is the type of guy we are going to have to settle for.

21 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

1. $72M is $72M.  It makes you rich.  Your dreams, my dreams and Brock Osweilers dreams and personal achievements give us dreams and personal achievments.  It is a job.  They do it to get paid.  

2. The Texans D was as good as the Broncos and so were their skill position players.  No reason he couldn't win a super bowl with Lamar Miller and Nuk.

3. Elway basically gave him a vote of no confidence.  I would go where I was wanted and would get the best shot.  

It is a job, a job made in heaven where essentially with any QB contract you will be "rich" regardless. You are blind if you think the texans D was "just as good" as the Broncos. They had a historic Defense in 15'. I'll leave it at "to each his own" then. It's a subjective manner on if you believe he is stupid or not based on your own views and perspective on life.

I imagine somewhere out there exists a resource where we could examine his playcalls and style and playbook and such... But I sure as hell don't know of it. I imagine we'll learn a lot about that if (it's still a big if) he comes onboard. 

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Thank you, and same to you  .

Once upon a time, there was this young OC who got his play calling duties stripped by a HOF HC . A few yrs later, that same person became a HC and led his team to a SB calling his own plays .  As a young OC, you're subject to the whims of whatever your HC determines is the best way for his team to win . If your HC was a successful  OC who became a HC, it's probably more than likely that he's more interested in having you  run his scheme than what you truly want to run .

It's quite possible that nobody has seen the real offense that this man envisions .

As Jet fans, why are we always willing to accept concepts on the outer fringes of plausibility?  I still remember folks passionately endorsing Tony Sparano as our OC for the very same reason: "Hey, maybe Sparano has tricks up his sleeve that no one has ever seen before".  Me?  I look at Godsey and see that he failed and was fired.  That's enough of a "resume" to cause me to look elsewhere.

Archived