Houston Texans, OC George Godsey agree to part ways

Maxman

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Agreed...Whoever we hire is almost certainly getting fired after next season (and they know it) So no-one is taking this job unless there's simply nothing better.  At least this guy played QB, was a QB coach and apparently liked Hack.  For those factors alone I think he would be great to get for a year.

So you know what they know that they even don't know..

JC this place....

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kmnj said:

he would be a terrible hire-I love how some like to smell hot garbage and say it is so good like warm cookies coming out of oven
-the texans offense was awful and much of it was the play calling-yes they stuck out with brock but they did not use miller or their wr weapons properly and their play calling was terrible throughout

only jet fans would cheer for a guy to be hired that ran a terrible offense-one that got worse as his tenure grew

I understand a real coach would not want to come here and work with bowles although I am sure he would be inspired by his choice to kick a field goal down 40+

you do realize he wasn't calling the plays week 4 on?

35 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

As Jet fans, why are we always willing to accept concepts on the outer fringes of plausibility?  I still remember folks passionately endorsing Tony Sparano as our OC for the very same reason: "Hey, maybe Sparano has tricks up his sleeve that no one has ever seen before".  Me?  I look at Godsey and see that he failed and was fired.  That's enough of a "resume" to cause me to look elsewhere.

How can you say he failed when he was basically an OC the way Kacy Rodgers is a DC .  Here's a question, did the Morningwig run the exact offense as Andy Reid ?

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Actually,  it is . If we're going to jump all over Rodgers for the miserable play of his defensive players, then we should do the same with Gailey .  Gailey knew Fitzpatrick better than any Jet coach, and 2 times he got the man fired . He also got Fitzpatrick 2 huge paydays .

But Rogers is still here and I do not blame a QC for a QB who has historically under performed from under performing.

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I admittedly don't know much about this guy. However just briefly looking over his history, hiring him may make more sense than people realize. For starters, he played QB for Chan Gailey at Georgia Tech (Bill O'Brien was an assistant coach at the time). So there may actually be some continuity there.  His system could have some similarities to both Gailey's AND O'Brien's. At this point Petty has had enough time working in Gailey's system, while Hackenberg knows O'Brien's. 

Trying to see the bright side here. :unsure:

Thank you for this post!!

This makes excellent sense and I appreciate this good input!! 

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Why is everyone convinced that we will be so horrible next year? Haven't even had the draft or start of free agency yet. 

I see three objective factors leading to a bad year next year,

• The coaching staff is looking very haphazardly constructed, and the Jets do not appear to have faced their demons on defense and are unlikely to hire a cutting-edge staff on offense.
  • Several of the veterans who have out of the money contracts and need to be cut may not be replaced by younger players who are not necessarily better (but who will be much cheaper.
  • There serious doubts as to whether the Jets can get the right QB next year.

In addition to these objective factors, I have doubts to the overall front office and coaching decision making.  But my point is that even if the front office and coaching staff were flawless and briliant, the objective factors would still lead to a rough season in 2017.  If they are brilliant, maybe the Jets can compete in 2018.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

But Rogers is still here and I do not blame a QC for a QB who has historically under performed from under performing.

Rodgers is still here because Todd Bowles can't and won't fire himself .  I truly believe Gailey was going to retire as the OC after this year, but I also believe he was planning on being a consultant to Patullo who  he believed would be elevated to the position as his prote'ge' . 

Something happened, and it didn't workout . Maybe that was the sacrifice Bowles had to make to keep his job .

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Rodgers is still here because Todd Bowles can't and won't fire himself .  I truly believe Gailey was going to retire as the OC after this year, but I also believe he was planning on being a consultant to Patullo who  he believed would be elevated to the position as his prote'ge' . 

Something happened, and it didn't workout . Maybe that was the sacrifice Bowles had to make to keep his job .

Maybe he was the one to say something about Hack 

10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

These are my feelings as well.

Hence my surprise at Patullo's release .

I have been thinking about this for awhile and remember what Woody said in his end of the year message, which was, that coaches would be judged on the development of the young players and perhaps the organization as a whole was not happy with the development of Hack and Petty.

Hack might not be improving that much since college and that is probably being laid at the feet of the coaching staff. 

That is all I can come up with for Patullo being fired.

3 hours ago, TexJet said:

I have to laugh at all the comments on Godsey. No one on this board knows anything about him - yet he sucks. Has to since the Texans fired him. Do a little research and you'll find out he was strictly a scapegoat. Godsey has a done a good job with the Texans, the offense has been capable in spite of the complete uncertainty at QB for the past 3 years. Their situation might actually be worse than ours, hard to believe but true. Osweiler was responsible for Godsey getting relieved of his official playcalling duties - O'Brien was no better once he took over. Bottom line, this guy was not the problem in Houston..........a terrible cast of characters acting as QB's was.  

Whether he can be a good OC for the Jets or not, I don't really know. I get paid to sell enterprise cloud solutions, not provide a definitive commentary on the merits of a relatively unknown OC. But reading the comments here, it's clear that conclusions are being made with little to no supporting evidence either way. Not advocating for Godsey by the way. I just find it interesting how we, as Jets fans, assume the absolute worse in every case and automatically jump on the XYZ sucks bandwagon - regardless of who XYZ is or our lack of insight into them as a coach.  

As a side note, since the specualtion came from Cimini, I certainly would take it with a grain of salt. God knows who the Jets are actually targeting for the OC position. Godsey may not even be on the radar. That's my rant for the year.....peace.

Well said. I'd guess 98% here never heard of Godsey until last week. 

Regarding Cimini. He did report Hurtt didn't sign. Seems he might be the only beat writer currently that is able to get some leaks. 

15 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I been saying try to get Chad on the staff forever now. I watch a lot of his QB breakdown videos. He had a few on Petty's 4 game audition and I loved how knowledgeable he came off. I think he would make a terrific QB coach or if not that some kind of personal trainer. Hack needs someone.

He's very knowledgeable, and one of the reasons why I wanted to break down film as well because it's so much different than the TV cameras.  I wish they would hire him as a QB coach because he seems extremely knowledgeable when it comes to reading defenses.  

33 minutes ago, win4ever said:

He's very knowledgeable, and one of the reasons why I wanted to break down film as well because it's so much different than the TV cameras.  I wish they would hire him as a QB coach because he seems extremely knowledgeable when it comes to reading defenses.  

Perhaps he doesn't want to commit to the time needed to be a QB coach. Coaching is a huge commitment

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — Two more names have emerged in the Jets’ search for an offensive coordinator.

According to ESPN, the Jets have expressed interest in former Houston Texans offensive coordinator George Godsey. Meanwhile, NJ.com reported that the team interviewed New Orleans Saints wide receivers coach John Morton at the Senior Bowl on Tuesday.

Jets head coach Todd Bowles told NJ.com that he’s “pretty sure” whom he will hire, but did not name the person.

so there's that

18 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Sign me up for Morton! Excited to see what kind of offense he will run. 

I would guess a pro-style offense rooted in the West Coast style.  Ran it at USC under Carroll and Kiffin.  Then under Harbaugh (via Roman) in SF.  Saints' offense is based in the West Coast style too.  All of those places rely on a very discipline, fundamentally sound offensive unit to be successful.

Just now, nyjbuddy said:

I would guess a pro-style offense rooted in the West Coast style.  Ran it at USC under Carroll and Kiffin.  Then under Harbaugh (via Roman) in SF.  Saints' offense is based in the West Coast style too.  All of those places rely on a very discipline, fundamentally sound offensive unit to be successful.

I like the idea of a pro style offense.. but I like more of what Bill O'Brian ran with the Patriots. Last time the West Coast was implemented here...it was less than inspiring to ever bring it back. It's based on timing routes, and I don't know how I feel about that. 

18 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I been saying try to get Chad on the staff forever now. I watch a lot of his QB breakdown videos. He had a few on Petty's 4 game audition and I loved how knowledgeable he came off. I think he would make a terrific QB coach or if not that some kind of personal trainer. Hack needs someone.

I don't know if we are worthy of such a privilege.

11 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Well, that's why they pay Mcc the big bucks.  It's his job (at least until he gets canned after next season) to find one. And if Godsey is his answer? Then fire Mcc today 'cause he's a clueless dick.

I thought Bowles was in charge of finding and hiring his coordinators and assistants. Mac does nothing more than  conduct one of the interviews,  offer his feedback and ultimately sign off on Bowles' choices. Like it or not, it seems to be the way Woody wants to divide hiring and managerial responsibility on the Jets.  Also,  what  in the world makes you think that there are 1st rate coordinators out there for the taking? Even if there were a couple, why in God's name do you think they'd want to  come here and work for what is potentially a lame duck head coach and GM?

11 hours ago, Dcat said:

I thought Bowles was in charge of finding and hiring his coordinators and assistants. Mac does nothing more than  conduct one of the interviews,  offer his feedback and ultimately sign off on Bowles' choices. Like it or not, it seems to be the way Woody wants to divide hiring and managerial responsibility on the Jets.  Also,  what  in the world makes you think that there are 1st rate coordinators out there for the taking? Even if there were a couple, why in God's name do you think they'd want to  come here and work for what is potentially a lame duck head coach and GM?

I don't think any reputable coordinator wants to come play for "Dead Man Walking" Bowles.  My point in that post was to say that we as fans are not the ones who are responsible for finding coaches or players who fit the team's needs.  We just give our OPINIONS.  It is the job of the GM, his assistants, and scouts to accomplish this.  

Sure Bowles should have input in the search for coordinators and assistants.  But, it is the job of the GM to CONSTANTLY identify potential candidates to fill every team job should the need arise.  (I would think any competent GM would have a "wish list" at their disposal.) Especially during the season, the HC should be completely focused on managing the three phases of the assembled team and practice squad.  

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I don't think any reputable coordinator wants to come play for "Dead Man Walking" Bowles.  My point in that post was to say that we as fans are not the ones who are responsible for finding coaches or players who fit the team's needs.  We just give our OPINIONS.  It is the job of the GM, his assistants, and scouts to accomplish this.  

Sure Bowles should have input in the search for coordinators and assistants.  But, it is the job of the GM to CONSTANTLY identify potential candidates to fill every team job should the need arise.  (I would think any competent GM would have a "wish list" at their disposal.) Especially during the season, the HC should be completely focused on managing the three phases of the assembled team and practice squad.  

Doesn't help that we have tweetle dee and tweetle dumb currently as 1 and 2 on our qb depth chart

20 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

too bad that this is not how Woody has the Jets operate.  

Archived