Brian Winters Receives a 4 Year Contract Extension

Maxman

Just now, gEYno said:

You all realize the salary cap, if managed even adequately, barely matters anymore, right?

I disagree with that. You always need to factor in the cap because then you ended playing games like Tannenbaum and the house of cards eventually collapses. With that said, if there are players I am OK paying fair market value for are:

1- Offensive lineman/QBS/Pass Rushers/elite corners

2- Guys that we drafted and eventually developed into legit starters

3 Guys that are 25. 

Would I rather have signed him for 6 mill a year? Of course. I'd rather he play for the league minimum, but no one gives hometown discounts on their first NFL deal after their rookie contract. Only guys like Brady that have already  banking a fortune from the NFL/endorsements cut their teams a break (and he is still likely getting kick backs from Kraft). 

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-this-season/

Of the other starters, the best play from them was pretty average, with RG Brian Winters (77.1 overall grade) at least holding his own, even if he wasn’t consistently winning his blocks.

Correct. They have him rated as one of the best pass blockers in the NFL this year. Would have been coveted.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

The release from NFL Network says he signed a 4 yr deal that's worth nearly 8 mil .  It never said anything about 8 mil per .

we'll have to see what the real number is.  another one of those sources said type reports. winters has had one good season since he was drafted.

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Correct. They have him rated as one of the best pass blockers in the NFL this year. Would have been coveted.

You didn't read. Carpenter was great. Everyone else was average or below. You don't pay average guards 8 million. He would have about the same on the open market, which means it's an overpayment. That's not the point. The point is he was dirt cheap going into last season when he should have been extended. This is a bad move. 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You didn't read. Carpenter was great. Everyone else was average or below. You don't pay average guards 8 million. He would have about the same on the open market, which means it's an overpayment. That's not the point. The point is he was dirt cheap going into last season when he should have been extended. This is a bad move. 

it is the point. 

Unless you supported extending Winters last season when it ACTUALLY WAS last season, you don't really have a leg to stand on. That would be hypocritical. You cant make moves retroactively.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Unless you supported extending Winters last season when it ACTUALLY WAS last season, you don't really have a leg to stand on. That would be hypocritical 

Oh stop. You should always be looking to extend homegrown players before they reach free agency so you don't have your overspend. This is NFL general manager 101. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh stop. You should always be looking to extend homegrown players before they reach free agency so you don't have your overspend. This is NFL general manager 101. 

What do you think this is? He hasn't hit the market yet. What would have been bad is if he was allowed to hit the market and then bid for him

31 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Darryl Slater (@DarrylSlater)

1/16/17, 8:02 PM

Winters' guaranteed $ not known. League sources estimated it'd be about $15.5M, on $7M average annual value deal. nj.com/jets/index.ssf…

That's a great deal for a high end Guard if true.  Good job Macc.

3 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

If we let Winters walk, many of the same people bitching about his salary would be bitching that we let a young starting offensive lineman walk 

That's not even remotely true. Qvale could start at guard or Dozier next season and see very little drop off. Just like the last few weeks of the season. Overpaying guards is bad management. Period. 

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That's not even remotely true. Qvale could start at guard or Dozier next season and see very little drop off. Just like the last few weeks of the season. Overpaying guards is bad management. Period. 

Dude, people are overpaying for backup QBs now. Everybody's getting overpaid.

And I do not want Qvale or Dozier to start, because then we would have to go out and draft more depth, wasting draft picks that could be used on other positions.

I would rather waste dollars than draft picks

Bad guard play is creeping death in the NFL. If it cost them an extra $2 mil per to keep Winters, who cares? They'd just go burn it on another Marcus Gilchrist anyway. 

It's a four year deal that can probably terminate in three without major penalties. Also, lineman are not easy to find and every team needs them. He would have been paid more as a free agent.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Dude, people are overpaying for backup QBs now. Everybody's getting overpaid.

The best lineman on this team far and away is James Carpenter. He signed for 5 million a year as a free agent. Yes the money variables have gone up, but even so, this is a huge overpayment for an average player. It's not a good move. 

21 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I disagree with that. You always need to factor in the cap because then you ended playing games like Tannenbaum and the house of cards eventually collapses. With that said, if there are players I am OK paying fair market value for are:

1- Offensive lineman/QBS/Pass Rushers/elite corners

2- Guys that we drafted and eventually developed into legit starters

3 Guys that are 25. 

Would I rather have signed him for 6 mill a year? Of course. I'd rather he play for the league minimum, but no one gives hometown discounts on their first NFL deal after their rookie contract. Only guys like Brady that have already  banking a fortune from the NFL/endorsements cut their teams a break (and he is still likely getting kick backs from Kraft). 

Hence why I said, managed adequately.  Tannenbaum went all-in on a window without a Quarterback.

The best lineman on this team far and away is James Carpenter. He signed for 5 million a year as a free agent. Yes the money variables have gone up, but even so, this is a huge overpayment for an average player. It's not a good move. 

I would rather overpay my own good players than letting them leave and having to redraft talent and waste draft picks which would be better served elsewhere

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

I would rather overpay my own good players than letting them leave and having to redraft talent and waste draft picks which would be better served elsewhere

Of course you would. If Qvale starts and Dozier backs him up then you have 8 million dollars and zero need to draft another guard. You have no leg to stand on here. Plus if you let him go and he signs elsewhere for 8 million you're getting a draft pick back in a compensatory draft pick anyway. Even if that's a 4th in 2018, that's another guard right there and still saving 8 million. It's pretty simple. 

44 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Our line, outside of Shell and Carpenter, was horrendous the last few weeks of the season.  Qvale is Tackle, not a a guard, and Dozier has some serious pass protection issues.  You know what's bad management?  Letting talented young players walk and replacing them with turnstiles.  Rewatch the Steelers-Chiefs game, look at David DeCastro, and tell me that paying good money for a guard is a bad idea.

I'm not even a humongous Winters fan, but at this contract with his play and room to grow, I'm more than happy to have him back.

Of course you would. If Qvale starts and Dozier backs him up then you have 8 million dollars and zero need to draft another guard. You have no leg to stand on here. Plus if you let him go and he signs elsewhere for 8 million you're getting a draft pick back in a compensatory draft pick anyway. Even if that's a 4th in 2018, that's another guard right there and still saving 8 million. It's pretty simple. 

And if they suck ass? You're back with nothing. 

8M per year makes him at top 5-6 paid OG in NFL, at 25 years old and an ascending talent, not surprised had to pay up

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And if they suck ass? You're back with nothing. 

8M per year makes him at top 5-6 paid OG in NFL, at 25 years old and an ascending talent, not surprised had to pay up

Yeah you just don't get it. And quoting a bloggers opinion holds zero water. 

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Carpenter was injury prone and not even close to being this good when he signed that deal.  Factor in the fact that Winters had a better season, only got 2-3 million more, and the variables have gone up since, and it's not even remotely close to being the huge overpayment you think it is.

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yeah, he did sign for 5 mill/yr as a free agent....TWO YEARS AGO.

On the open market today, Carpenter would get 10+ mill/yr.

Just now, T0mShane said:

I think the big surprise here is that we gave $8 million dollars to someone that the Chargers weren't getting ready to cut. 

Show us where the Gilchrist hurt you Th0mas.

(I don't like him either)

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Our line, outside of Shell and Carpenter was horrendous the last few weeks of the season.  Qvale is Tackle, not a a guard, and Dozier has some serious pass protection issues.  You know what's bad management?  Letting talented young players walk and replacing them with turnstiles.  Rewatch the Steelers-Chiefs game, look at David DeCastro, and tell me that paying good money for a guard is a bad idea.

I'm not even a humongous Winters fan, but at this contract with his play and room to grow, I'm more than happy to have him back.

I have no problem bringing Winters back. I have a problem giving you much money to an average player coming off major surgery when he could have been resigned cheaper last offseason. Winters is no DeCastro. 

Paying WInters for OL stability is not the worst thing the Jets could have done.

Basically, the way these contracts work, he gets his guarantee for 2 years, and then the Jets basically have an option for him to play for years 3 and 4 at 2017 money.

With Johnson and Shell at relatively low numbers, and Carpenter on a bargain deal, the Jets OL spend should be ok.  Another way to keep it down would be to find a LT to draft, even in the first round.

I would have been nice to let him walk and save the money, but I am confident that someone would have paid that much for him.  The worse decision here was not to sign Winters, but was to have a roster that required that he be signed.  The issue is more that Macc and Co did not believe Qvale and Dozier were good enough to fill in for Winters.  So Winters gets paid.  Hopefully they get replaced with players who can prevent the Jets from needing to sign someone else for big money.

That is the key-draft well, develop them and coach them up, and get cheap players for the 4-5 years they are under contract.

Archived