Could Alex Smith be a surprising option for the Jets?

joewilly12

Could Alex Smith be a surprising option for the Jets?

Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on January 17, 2017 at 6:30 AM, updated January 17, 2017 at 6:58 AM

File this one under: Make of it what you will. 

A day after the Chiefs' demoralizing, two-point, playoff-eliminating loss to the Steelers, media members pressed coach Andy Reid on the status of starting quarterback Alex Smith. Basically, will Smith be Kansas City's QB 1 in 2017?

Reid was, well, committed in the most uncommitted way possible. 

"Do I still think we can win with Alex?" Reid said, via NFL Network. "Yeah, we were right there."

In all likelihood, this means nothing. Smith will still be with the Chiefs next year. But, it's the offseason. Which means it's time for speculation.

So, if for some strange reason the Chiefs make the former No. 1 overall pick available, should the Jets consider adding him? Some things to consider ... 

It's unlikely he's actually moved. Smith isn't a great quarterback. He's slightly above average. Reid is right: The Chiefs can still win with Smith. Will he ever be the reason they win? Probably not. But he can manage a good team to victories and a playoff run.

Here's the thing, though: Who exactly would Kansas City get to replace him? Trade with the Cowboys for Tony Romo? Mortgage the future to draft Deshaun Watson (Clemson) or Mitch Trubisky (UNC)?

Even if Reid thinks about moving Smith, he'll quickly realize it's not smart. Quarterbacks don't grow on trees. As average as Smith is, he's still an above-average quarterback in the NFL, if that makes sense?

Why is this even being considered? Guesstimating, but Reid does love him some Nick Foles. He drafted Foles when he was coaching the Eagles, had some success with him in 2012, and signed him to be Smith's backup this offseason.

Foles isn't nearly as mobile as Smith, but he does open the playbook more with his arm strength. He played two games for the Chiefs this year while Smith was hurt. He completed 65.5 percent of his passes and threw for 410 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions.

Is it financially possible? It's not financially impossible. If released or traded, Smith will free $9.7 million in cap space, but the Chiefs will still be on the books for $7.2 million. If on Kansas City's roster, he'll have a cap hit of $16.9 million. Hardly killer considering the cap is expected to jump another $10-$15 million. Kansas City is a bit pressed, though, with just over $4 million in projected salary cap space, per OTC.

Next year is when Kansas City can get out from the deal without significant financial ramifications. Releasing Smith would free $17 million with just a $3.6 million penalty.

NFL Draft: Top 10 QBs

NFL Draft: Top 10 QBs

Where does Clemson's DeShaun Watson rank in another weak class of quarterbacks?

Would the Jets want him? He wouldn't be a bad mentor for Christian Hackenberg. He'd certainly be their best quarterback in years. But again, Alex Smith is still just ... Alex Smith.

He's mobile enough and accurate, but his arm strength doesn't allow a team to stretch the field. He's Chad Pennington-like in that regard. This past season, he threw for 3,502 yards with 15 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He had a completion percentage of 67.1, and a quarterback rating of 91.2. In 2015, he threw 20 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Despite playing in the NFL since 2005, Smith has never thrown 30 touchdowns in any one season. He threw a career-high 23 in 2013.

What would it cost the Jets? It depends. Would the Chiefs shop Smith because they want to get rid of him, or are interested in seeing what they can get? If they'd take a a conditional fourth, the deal makes sense. If they want a first, the Jets should laugh.

Again, the Chiefs are likely to keep Smith. It just doesn't make sense to get rid of him. But you never know ...

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connor_J_Hughes. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

Finding a mediocre QB in the NFL is hard. Really hard. So yea, I would take him in a heartbeat. And even though KC knows he probably will never win the big game, they'll never part with him. Because that's how bad the QB market is. Alex Smith is pretty much exactly what a healthy Chad Pennington would've looked like.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Finding a mediocre QB in the NFL is hard. Really hard. So yea, I would take him in a heartbeat. And even though KC knows he probably will never win the big game, they'll never part with him. Because that's how bad the QB market is. Alex Smith is pretty much exactly what a healthy Chad Pennington would've looked like.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If Andy Reid is willing to trade Alex Smith, then that tells you all you need to know about Alex Smith. No one trades away a QB good enough to win a SB. Alex Smith would be just good enough to guarantee we never win a Super Bowl and we're never in position to draft a franchise QB. 

There is zero chance this happens but excuse me that I have to laugh.  People are like, NO!  to Alex Smith who has won 11 games 3 out of the last 4 years but all about Mike Glennon, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jay Cutler, Tony Romo and other bozo's.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

There is zero chance this happens but excuse me that I have to laugh.  People are like, NO!  to Alex Smith who has won 11 games 3 out of the last 4 years but all about Mike Glennon, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jay Cutler, Tony Romo and other bozo's.

Very fair point.

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'd do cartwheels if we could get Alex Smith, no he's not elite but he's in that Eli/Flacco solid starter range which we are lacking.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

i think that's because there's a balance between the fandom accepting a team that might win 9 to 10 games for a fairly long stretch and those that want a qb to keep the seat warm while they get a qb in the draft or wait for the hack attack.  and then there are also the ones who want a young bench warmer to just be the guy.  i don't know enough about alex smith except he's been pretty successful in kc and his lack of arm strength hasn't stopped him from getting the ball to kelce or maclin. he doesn't turn the ball over.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

I think Alex Smith would pay quite a bit to even be considered for that conversation.

he's actually been better than those 2 recently but he;'s the type of QB you can win big with if you have the right team around him like those 2.

Alex Smith? The Chiefs are in massive salary cap trouble and the #'s as stated are not significant enough for them to rid themselves of their starting QB. So no I doubt he goes anywhere. Jamaal Charles will be gone. Some others as well. Smith is going nowhere though.

7 hours ago, JiF said:

What was Alex Smith's winning percentage his first five years in the nfl?

I think it makes sense from the Chiefs perspective to start thinking about the next guy.  That's not to say they should trade their whole draft to move up and draft Watson in the frist rd.  But if one of these guys slip and they like that QB then yes, spend a first rd. pick on him.  Smith is an average QB who will win you 10-12 games a year but I just don't think he's ever going to get them to a Super Bowl and with the Chiefs young dynamic roster they should be "going for it".  On the otherhand Smith makes absolutely no sense for the Jets, with our roster we'd be 8-8 for the next two years we'd be much better going 4-12 but developing a young QB for the future.

1 hour ago, drsamuel84 said:

I think it makes sense from the Chiefs perspective to start thinking about the next guy.  That's not to say they should trade their whole draft to move up and draft Watson in the frist rd.  But if one of these guys slip and they like that QB then yes, spend a first rd. pick on him.  Smith is an average QB who will win you 10-12 games a year but I just don't think he's ever going to get them to a Super Bowl and with the Chiefs young dynamic roster they should be "going for it".  On the otherhand Smith makes absolutely no sense for the Jets, with our roster we'd be 8-8 for the next two years we'd be much better going 4-12 but developing a young QB for the future.

I think Reid is making a mistake if he thinks Foles is the guy

Archived