Trade #6 pick to San Diego for Phillip Rivers?

Sarge4Tide

Phillip Rivers for the 6th Pick?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. if San Diego called with an offer to trade Phillip Rivers to the Jets for the 6th pick, I would....

• Take that deal in a damn New York minute!
    • Seriously consider it, probably take it
    • Tough decision......honestly don't know if I'd take it or not
    • Give it some thought, but reject it
    • Laugh out loud and immediately hang up on those damn fools!
  2. 2. What if the deal was Phillip Rivers and San Diego's 2nd Round Pick for the #6 pick?

• Take that deal in a damn New York minute!
    • Seriously consider it, probably take it
    • Tough decision......honestly don't know if I'd take it or not
    • Give it some thought, but reject it
    • Laugh out loud and immediately hang up on those damn fools!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

How is no the popular answer here? 

You got me, who knew we have had such talent behind center all these years that if one of the better qb's in the league was available to us we would turn our noses up in the air because we do not have the perfect situation available at this current time.

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. It'd cost you, like, two ones and another few picks to get Rivers.

2. Rivers would choke himself with his bolo tie before he'd agree to so much as drive into New Jersey.

I was looking to see if anyone else would bring it up. No way Rivers wants to be in or near Gomorrah. Even flying in for a 1-day road game here probably gives him the shivers. 

Oh yeah -- and he's 35, coming off arguably his worst season thus far, is a choke artist, and has never been on the winning side against the Patriots with Brady (0-6 career).

No. He's an obvious upgrade for us, but it'll be both short-lived and not enough. If he was ever going to win anything it would have been years ago in his prime when he had LT, Turner, Sproles, their great defense with a pair of demon OPRs in Phillips & a juiced-up Merriman, a great OL, un-coverable targets like young Gates & VJax... 

He's going to bring a SB victory here now, past his prime, on a bad+barren Jets roster that has none of the above, and one that would also have to do without its next couple of 1st round picks at least?

Yeah, right. No thanks.

If Rivers was 28 maybe. Also if this team was ready to win now, with a championship caliber defense and a competent HC I would lean more toward yes but our defense is a joke and from what I see the players do not respect the coach nor are they prepared to play. This could go deeper but IMHO we need to clean house in a big way.

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

If Rivers was 28 maybe. Also if this team was ready to win now, with a championship caliber defense and a competent HC I would lean more toward yes but our defense is a joke and from what I see the players do not respect the coach nor are they prepared to play. This could go deeper but IMHO we need to clean house in a big way.

San Diego was ready to win now his first 6-7 years, they never got close thanks to him.

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

How is no the popular answer here? 

it should be, he's been one of the most overrated players of his generation.  is he better than what we have? of course but considering picks and $ it would cost to get him it makes no sense just to make our losing more entertaining.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Remember, the audience is a bunch of guys who thought Chad Pennington was a warrior and Mark Sanchez was a bum. 

SAR I

both were very good QBs for us and rookie Mark outplayed vet Rivers w/ half the talent around him that Rivers had on the road in the div rd of the playoffs.

1 hour ago, jdeacon said:

You got me, who knew we have had such talent behind center all these years that if one of the better qb's in the league was available to us we would turn our noses up in the air because we do not have the perfect situation available at this current time.

The problem isn't thumbing our nose to Rivers.  The issue for me would be the following:  Does Rivers instantly make us into a Super Bowl contender in the next three years?  Because that is the window you would have, maybe even shorter.  The guy is 35 years old.  I am not sure he has a Brady lifespan.  That would mean giving up potentially MORE than the #6 pick for a guy who is 4-5 in the playoffs and MAY have about 3 years left in him, without having an o-line, young WR's, no TE, and a porous defense. 

He also has 8 children and is a DEVOUT Catholic.  NY would eat him alive......

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Oh yeah -- and he's 35, coming off arguably his worst season thus far, is a choke artist, and has never been on the winning side against the Patriots with Brady (0-6 career).

No. He's an obvious upgrade for us, but it'll be both short-lived and not enough. If he was ever going to win anything it would have been years ago in his prime when he had LT, Turner, Sproles, their great defense with a pair of demon OPRs in Phillips & a juiced-up Merriman, a great OL, un-coverable targets like young Gates & VJax... 

He's going to bring a SB victory here now, past his prime, on a bad+barren Jets roster that has none of the above, and one that would also have to do without its next couple of 1st round picks at least?

Yeah, right. No thanks.

Um, this..........AND he has 8 kids.  Catholic....New York with 8 kids, a Catholic, was born in the deep south and played his whole career in the hot temperatures of the west.  Nope, he would be eaten alive in NY.

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Um, this..........AND he has 8 kids.  Catholic....New York with 8 kids, a Catholic, was born in the deep south and played his whole career in the hot temperatures of the west.  Nope, he would be eaten alive in NY.

I don't know what they teach up in Canadia, but we do have Catholics here in NY (and there's got to be at least a dozen in NJ).

Unless Aaron Rodgers joined the team we are going nowhere with this hackjob O Line wheather people want to admit it or not. 09-10 happened because we had a top 5 offensive to run the ball to set up easy pass plays for Sanchez. Priority number 1 this draft and until its complete is to keep drafting 3 O lineman in each draft. 

The fact that a team far away from competing has no business trading the 6th overall pick for an aging QB with only a few years left is one thing -- it becomes increasingly nonsensical when said QB led the league in interceptions. I was a big Philip Rivers fan -- ten years ago. In 2017 giving up a first round pick for him is insane, let alone the 6th overall.

46 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

even if we had a contending team, why would we waste money and picks on a QB that has never shown he can get the job done in meaningful situations?

And you love Mark Sanchez, miracles never cease.   Oh and Rivers got his team to the AFC title game, should he not be enshrined in Canton for that?

12 hours ago, SR24 said:

If I'm the gm of the jets this offseason im cleaning house and freeing up as much cap as possible. I'm going after Trumaine Johnson AND Stephon Gilmore. Building the Cb position with 2 young studs. Drafting Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker. Taking an OT in the 2nd round and maybe even the 3rd. Signing Brian Hoyer to a 1year deal and having a 100% open qb competition winner gets the spot none of this Hackenberg watching nonsense. Retaining ASJ because he's a 6'6 250lb tight end with good hands and someone who can actually block. We should have enough money to get both of those corners especially with the lack of elite talented OTs via free agency. Wr we are set,Rb is ok for now. As of now drafting an OT at #6 is a bit of a reach but it will be a long offseason if one of them sky rockets up big boards then go with them. Our secondary has more holes in it than osama bin ladens forehead and our oline needs a LT as bas as humanly possible. Fix both of those then be prepared next year to trade up for Darnold.

^love this all EXCEPT Hoyer!

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And you love Mark Sanchez, miracles never cease.   Oh and Rivers got his team to the AFC title game, should he not be enshrined in Canton for that?

I do b/c he proved he could play under the bright lights including when as a rookie he outplayed Rivers at SD in the div rd w/ half the talent around him that Rivers had.

Rivers played in an AFC Championship game- ONE and to get to that ONE title game Rivers got HURT and his backup led the GW TD drive to get them to the title game.

12 hours ago, SR24 said:

If I'm the gm of the jets this offseason im cleaning house and freeing up as much cap as possible. I'm going after Trumaine Johnson AND Stephon Gilmore. Building the Cb position with 2 young studs. Drafting Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker. Taking an OT in the 2nd round and maybe even the 3rd. Signing Brian Hoyer to a 1year deal and having a 100% open qb competition winner gets the spot none of this Hackenberg watching nonsense. Retaining ASJ because he's a 6'6 250lb tight end with good hands and someone who can actually block. We should have enough money to get both of those corners especially with the lack of elite talented OTs via free agency. Wr we are set,Rb is ok for now. As of now drafting an OT at #6 is a bit of a reach but it will be a long offseason if one of them sky rockets up big boards then go with them. Our secondary has more holes in it than osama bin ladens forehead and our oline needs a LT as bas as humanly possible. Fix both of those then be prepared next year to trade up for Darnold.

Bringing in a guy like Hoyer guarantees we will not get Darnold. No team with the first pick will pass on Darnold. Teams with franchise QBs like the Giants, Pats Ravens would likely take Darnold before trading away the first overall, let alone the other 20 teams in the league desperate for a real franchise QB. 

The only way to get Darnold is to tank and finish with the worst record in the NFL. 

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Bringing in a guy like Hoyer guarantees we will not get Darnold. No team with the first pick will pass on Darnold. Teams with franchise QBs like the Giants, Pats Ravens would likely take Darnold before trading away the first overall, let alone the other 20 teams in the league desperate for a real franchise QB. 

The only way to get Darnold is to tank and finish with the worst record in the NFL. 

I dunno I think Hoyer might be worse than Petty and I think Petty is a JAG

Just now, thadude said:

I dunno I think Hoyer might be worse than Petty and I think Petty is a JAG

If you're bringing in Hoyer on the assumption that he will be a disaster and get us the first overall pick, then I am all in. But a guy like Hoyer could get us 4 or 5 wins and then we are watching the next Aaron Rodgers get selected by the Bills while we draft the next Sheldon Richardson. 

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you're bringing in Hoyer on the assumption that he will be a disaster and get us the first overall pick, then I am all in. But a guy like Hoyer could get us 4 or 5 wins and then we are watching the next Aaron Rodgers get selected by the Bills while we draft the next Sheldon Richardson. 

Aaron Rodgers went 24th overall.

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

draft position doesn't really matter

LOL, just because you can hit the lottery once in a while doesn't mean that you can just as easily find a franchise QB at the end of the first round than you can with the first pick in the draft especially when the first pick in the draft is the consensus pick to become a franchise QB. We aren't talking about a Goff type prospect we are talking about an Elway/Peyton/Luck type prospect. 

My comparison to Rodgers was simply to show how important it is to find a QB of his caliber and sometimes that guy is known to the experts in advance. It happened with Luck and it's happening with Darnold. The only question with that kid is whether he comes out or not. 

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

LOL, just because you can hit the lottery once in a while doesn't mean that you can just as easily find a franchise QB at the end of the first round than you can with the first pick in the draft especially when the first pick in the draft is the consensus pick to become a franchise QB. We aren't talking about a Goff type prospect we are talking about an Elway/Peyton/Luck type prospect. 

My comparison to Rodgers was simply to show how important it is to find a QB of his caliber and sometimes that guy is known to the experts in advance. It happened with Luck and it's happening with Darnold. The only question with that kid is whether he comes out or not. 

let's look at top 10 QBs from 1990-2014(give the recent guys a chance before we label them):

1990 #1 overall Jeff george

1990 #7 Andrew Ware

1992 #6 David Klingler

1993 #1 Drew Bledsoe

1993 #2 Rick Mirer

1994 #3 Heath Shuler

1994 #6 Trent Dilfer

1995 #3 Steve McNair

1995 #5 Kerry Collins

1998 #1 Peyton Manning

1998 #2 Ryan Leaf

1999 #1 Tim Couch

1999 #2 Donovan McNabb

1999 #3 Akili Smith

2001 #1 Michael Vick

2002 #1 David Carr

2002 #3 Joey Harrington

2003 #1 Carson palmer

2003 #7 Byron Leftwich

2004 #1 Eli Manning

2004 #4 Philip Rivers

2005 #1 Alex Smith

2006 #3 Vince Young

2006 #10 Matt Leinart

2007 #1 Jamarcus Russell

2008 #3 Matt Ryan

2009 #1 Matt Stafford

2009 #5 Mark Sanchez

2010 #1 Sam Bradford

2011 #1 Cam Newton

2011 #8 Jake Locker

2011 #10 Blaine Gabbert

2012 #1 Andrew Luck

2012 #2 RG III

2012 #8 Ryan Tannehill

2014 #3 Blake Bortles

36 top 10 guys in that time period.  1 lock HOFer, 2 potential HOFers in Luck and Newton, 15 that would classify as at least solid starters, at least 15 total busts.

it's a crapshoot.

5 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

They just moved to LA, they are not trading their highest profile player. They have sell to themselves.

I am still trying to figure out how and why the league approved their playing in a 30,000 seat stadium with minimal amenities like skyboxes when the stated reason they left SD was SD would not build a new stadium and Qualcomm Stadium, which seats 70,000 was not generating enough income. 

It doesn't make sense if you are playing in a stadium that seats 70,000 people and not making enough money to move to a soccer stadium that seats less than half of that with no skyboxes where your revenue stream will be signficantly lower than the revenue stream you abandoned because it wasnt enough.

Archived