2017 JETS OL Looks Solid

kevinc855

Center and LT are arguably the two most important positions on the OL. Shell panning out would be huge on a couple levels for the Jets. First, they need the help on the OL. Second, and perhaps more importantly, it would make Maccagnan's trade well worthwhile. I'd like to have more confidence in our GM. But that still leaves those two most important positions as question marks. I don't think any LT prospect is going to be worth the #6 overall come April, unfortunately. I think they need to make a free agent splash here somewhere, maybe center? I don't know what's going to be available. Finding a mauler in the run game on the market, then drafting a guy like Fournette wouldn't be the worst move for this team. 

I certainly don't consider the OL to be a strength of the team, but I'll take the OP's point and say that at least it doesn't look like a black hole. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The perhaps long and arduous LT hunt is on.  Guards should be solid, Shell surprised at RT.  I'm not as high on Wesley Johnson at C as most.  He had two bad snap gaffs and the one got our Qb killed.

I agree with you, I think he's not good. What do you think about the center from LSU, Posic, I think?  

11 hours ago, redlichtie said:

I think Mangold is the easiest cut of all this year unless he takes a drastic reduction in salary, barely noticed a drop off with Johnson in there and I thought Dakota Dozier was outstanding(in tandem with Shell) against Buffalo, if Dozier can handle snapping duties(and maybe more importantly the line calls)then there's a very decent competition there.

Really excited by Brandon Shell and both Carp and Winters make for an above average OG tandem, it's all about finding an upper echelon LT as you say but with other priorities in the draft and no obvious FA solution that won't be straightforward

I think the Jets had been trying for 2 years to have Dozier become a center. Never got a shot there, so probably didn't work.

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The Jets need a LT and I'm hoping they draft one in the first few rounds.  No stopgap free agent stiffs.

Stopgap free agent stiff > 2nd or 3rd round rookie LT.  I don't think you guys grasp how uncommon it is to find an LT ready to start day one.  Brick was the exception, not the rule.  Look at Flowers on the Giants.  <shudders>

I know what the original poster is trying to say because we have some real positives on our line.  Carpenter and Winters are solid at guard.  Mangold (if he stays) is a good center and Wesley Johnson is a more than adequate back up.  Right tackle looks potentially good with Brandon Shell.  And most of all, but not mentioned, our OLine coach looks like a good one.  But, when you don't have a LT on your roster, it takes your OLine down a whole bunch.  That is huge need for this team.  And you can't count on grabbing the third best guy at the position in this draft in round 2 or 3 and expect to get a starter.  The LT crop is not that strong.  I think you have to go after Cam Robinson at number 6 and address this huge need.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Stopgap free agent stiff > 2nd or 3rd round rookie LT.  I don't think you guys grasp how uncommon it is to find an LT ready to start day one.  Brick was the exception, not the rule.  Look at Flowers on the Giants.  <shudders>

The Giants offensive line makes ours look like the Cowboys.

23 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Definitely an important building block.  However, I think C and LT (if we have a righty QB, that is) are the 2 most important positions on the OL.  I'm not sure if WJ can replace Mangold (who is a ring of honor type player imo) so easily.  Still it's good to have the other 3 spots (hopefully) solidified.  Usually you can get OL later in the draft though probably not as easily at the premium positions.

If Mangold isn't the next ring of honor  player I'm literally going to track down Woody Johnson and bitch slap him myself. 

21 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You vastly overestimate the talent in GB. Take off Rodgers and the team is a 5 win team at best. They were 4-6 before Rodgers decided turn on his God mode.

Yeah that group of WR's they have suck. So does that O-LINE that gives Rodgers all that time to throw. That team has had numerous injuries to key players AND are in the NFC Championship game. They lost their starting Pro Bowl Caliber RB AND their starting Pro Bowl Caliber WR. Name one team that could do that and go deep in the playoffs. They are deep, talented, and HEAD AND SHOULDERS above the Jets current roster and front office in term's of leadership, talent, and decision making. Rodgers is a great player no doubt. He has led that team to a winning streak that is simply amazing. He has been a force during that winning streak but as any objective person knows ONE MAN DOES NOT MAKE THE TEAM. A QB can make a huge difference as We Jet fans know but that QB is only as good as the talent around him. Rodgers on the Jets with the O-line we have? Either on the IR with some kind of injury or a terrible QB rating that would have the fan base(you included judging by your posts) calling for his head.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah that group of WR's they have suck. So does that O-LINE that gives Rodgers all that time to throw. That team has had numerous injuries to key players AND are in the NFC Championship game. They lost their starting Pro Bowl Caliber RB AND their starting Pro Bowl Caliber WR. Name one team that could do that and go deep in the playoffs. They are deep, talented, and HEAD AND SHOULDERS above the Jets current roster and front office in term's of leadership, talent, and decision making. Rodgers is a great player no doubt. He has led that team to a winning streak that is simply amazing. He has been a force during that winning streak but as any objective person knows ONE MAN DOES NOT MAKE THE TEAM. A QB can make a huge difference as We Jet fans know but that QB is only as good as the talent around him. Rodgers on the Jets with the O-line we have? Either on the IR with some kind of injury or a terrible QB rating that would have the fan base(you included judging by your posts) calling for his head.

Nobody here would say that 1 man makes a team (only the NBA could that apply).  However, in today's NFL, a HOF QB (and an upper echelon HOFer at that!) like Rodgers can make a 5-11 team (e.g. if Fitz were their starter) into a very serious Superbowl contender.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Nobody here would say that  man makes a team (only the NBA could that apply).  However, in today's NFL, a HOF QB (and an upper echelon HOFer at that!) like Rodgers can make a 5-11 team (e.g. if Fitz were their starter) into a very serious Superbowl contender.

So you're saying that if the Jets switched QB's with the Packers they would be a Super Bowl contender? We disagree. I am not down playing Rodgers caliber of play. I am doubting the Jets. GB's depth ALONG with Rodgers play has gotten them where they are. Their coaching staff and front office ain't too shabby either. Mac and Bowles are not even in that class. Unfair? Probably. Saying Rodgers alone is responsible for the Packs run? Simply not true.

31 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

So you're saying that if the Jets switched QB's with the Packers they would be a Super Bowl contender? We disagree. I am not down playing Rodgers caliber of play. I am doubting the Jets. GB's depth ALONG with Rodgers play has gotten them where they are. Their coaching staff and front office ain't too shabby either. Mac and Bowles are not even in that class. Unfair? Probably. Saying Rodgers alone is responsible for the Packs run? Simply not true.

Probably not a serious contender but I'd give us a shot.  And we wouldn't be all that far away (e.g. if we fixed the secondary and maybe added some OL and a TE).

I'll reverse the question - if you put Fitz on GB, how many games do you think they win this year?

On 1/17/2017 at 6:09 PM, kevinc855 said:

So heading into the offseason, I heard a lot of yelling about addressing the OLINE and I agreed however as the month of December proved and Winters re-signing we are in a lot better shape on the O Line then initially thought. Lets take a look...

LG - James Carpenter (only 27 former first round pick will be with us the next couple years)

RG - Just re-signed Winters who before injury was rumored to be the hottest G FA on the market.

C - Big question here? Both good outcomes. We keep Mangold or let him go, it seems Wesley Johnson has stepped in and proved he can be a starting Center in the NFL for a a lot cheaper.

LT - Our biggest question. I expect to address this in the draft (guessing 2nd or 3rd round) Would like to see it happen in 2nd round.

RT- BRANDON SHELL is going to be GOOD. Prob was one of the brightest spots in our draft class in the 5th round. He proved himself and should start in 2017 (and young too!)

Bottom line, a Carpenter, Winters, Johnson, 2nd round Rookie and Shell could make a solid offensive line for 17.

I want Mangold to come back. Think they need his size and strength in the middle. Let Wesley keep eating and bench pressing for another year.

And LT in round two is exactly what I am hoping for as well. I agree on the right side of the line and Carpenter.

50 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Probably not a serious contender but I'd give us a shot.  And we wouldn't be all that far away (e.g. if we fixed the secondary and maybe added some OL and a TE).

I'll reverse the question - if you put Fitz on GB, how many games do you think they win this year?

Okay so the Jets would need to add players to make themselves contenders even with Rodgers. In a roundabout way you agree with me. Cool. sh*tz on the Pack? Its hard to say. Would they have their guys at full strength? I would say 7-9 or 8-8. Throwing to that WR core and behind that O-line I think thats possible. Of course we are talking sh*tz here so anything could happen.

Just now, JetFaninMI said:

Okay so the Jets would need to add players to make themselves contenders even with Rodgers. In a roundabout way you agree with me. Cool. sh*tz on the Pack? Its hard to say. Would they have their guys at full strength? I would say 7-9 or 8-8. Throwing to that WR core and behind that O-line I think thats possible. Of course we are talking sh*tz here so anything could happen.

I'd say the Jets would have a chance to win any game but our secondary was pretty atrocious.  Then again, the Packers played with 3rd stringers for a large portion of the year and they're going to the NFC title game.  So maybe the Jets would have a better chance than I gave them credit for.

Archived