Cimini: Jets expected to release Brandon Marshall

Mike135

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

he didn't quit.  He had a lot of drops, that's for sure.  Inept playing does not translate into quitting.  Again, your singling Marshall out in this thread when there were far worse divisive personalities in that clubhouse for you to call out speaks volumes about your agenda.

He quit on Petty.  It was clear as day.  Half ass effort on balls he'd go all out for Fitz.  It was very easy to see. 

All good bro.  We disagree.  He's your boo sauce and you want to defend him till the cows come home.

I'm over it frankly.  Let the cards fall as they may.  I'll be a Jets fan either way.

I still <3 yer guts out. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

He quit on Petty.  It was clear as day.  Half ass effort on balls he'd go all out for Fitz.  It was very easy to see. 

All good bro.  We disagree.  He's your boo sauce and you want to defend him till the cows come home.

I'm over it frankly.  Let the cards fall as they may.  I'll be a Jets fan either way.

I still <3 yer guts out. 

There might be something to this .. what explain why Sheldon called him out the way he did

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I still <3 yer guts out. 

Indeed.  I'll be there right with you!  

I like Marshall a lot, but there is no way you bring him and Sheldon back next year. I think Marshall's contract makes sense to bring him back, especially since he will take less. And you should be able to get at least a 3rd for Sheldon in a trade.

That said, if Marshall is the locker room problem, or if the game film tells a story of a different effort when Petty was on the filed like @JiF says, then he has to go.

I think publicly though he has been a very good soldier and I know he has football left in him. So if if is a football decision I bring him back but it isn't always that simple.

18 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I like Marshall a lot, but there is no way you bring him and Sheldon back next year. I think Marshall's contract makes sense to bring him back, especially since he will take less. And you should be able to get at least a 3rd for Sheldon in a trade.

That said, if Marshall is the locker room problem, or if the game film tells a story of a different effort when Petty was on the filed like @JiF says, then he has to go.

I think publicly though he has been a very good soldier and I know he has football left in him. So if if is a football decision I bring him back but it isn't always that simple.

Really depends on how much of a cut he is willing to take, and also how much of a negative impact he actually was in the locker room. I don't think any of us can say for sure, the only people that fully know are the teammates and the coaches. I trust the decision they make in the end. Don't think Mac would cut a guy as talented as Marshall unless he knows he was a real distraction in the end. If he makes the cut...we know he was. Simple as that. Won't hurt me one bit. I love Marshall, but we could use that 7.5 mil and we could also use some peace and stability as well. It's really a "whatever" type situation in my eyes. We have wide outs that can play if asked right now and we have wide outs who will have an opportunity to get even better. I'm all for a hard rest and youth movement. That's how you find starters you didn't even know you had...by ample opportunities.

Jets' Brandon Marshall says he's 'underpaid' at $7.5 million

One of the most compelling storylines this offseason is Brandon Marshall and whether he returns to the New York Jets in 2017. Marshall, for one, doesn't believe his future with the team is tied to his salary.

"People need to get away from me due $7.5 million," the wide receiver said Wednesday morning on WFAN radio's Boomer and Carton Show. "Get away from my salary. That's underpaid. Any team should be happy to have me for $7.5 million."

Marshall is right, the money isn't prohibitive. According to ESPN data, his $7.5 million salary in 2017 is tied for 13th among receivers in terms of actual cash payout.

The players ahead of him are Tavon Austin ($15 million), Dez Bryant ($13 million), Demaryius Thomas ($12.5 million), Julio Jones ($11.5 million), A.J. Green ($10.5 million), Jeremy Maclin ($10 million), Randall Cobb ($9.5 million), Jordy Nelson ($9.25 million), Doug Baldwin ($8.25 million), Torrey Smith ($8 million), T.Y. Hilton ($8 million) and DeAndre Hopkins ($7.9 million).

Marshall's future appears up in the air because he'll be 33 and he's coming off his worst statistical season since his rookie year in 2006 -- 59 catches, 788 yards and three touchdowns. No doubt, his production was hurt by the poor quarterback play, but he also wasn't the same dynamic player he was in 2015, perhaps because of nagging injuries.

He was overpaid in 2016 ($9.5 million) based on his production, but he was underpaid in 2015 ($9 million), when he re-wrote the Jets' record book for receivers. Funny league, the NFL.

Moving forward, money will be a factor because it's always a factor in the NFL, but it won't be the overriding aspect of this decision even though the $7.5 million is non-guaranteed and would be wiped off the books. It'll be about the fit. Do the Jets have enough confidence in their young receivers to move on from Marshall? Does Marshall, who says his only remaining goal is to win a Super Bowl, want to play for a team that probably will be rebuilding?

The Jets have tough decisions to make. They're pressed against the projected $168 million salary cap, and several high-profile veterans are on the bubble.

"I've probably been underpaid the last six years, if we're really about comparing production to receivers across the league and what I've been doing," Marshall said. "Now, when you only catch 50-something balls for over 700 yards and you're 30-something years old, that's when teams come to you like, 'We don't think you're good anymore.'"

You may recall that Marshall said at the end of the season that he'd "play for free" if his bills are paid (they are, he said). Obviously, he wasn't serious, although some took it that way. Based on Wednesday's comments, he would reject a pay cut to stay with the Jets, although it probably won't come to that. It'll be $7.5 million or a parting of ways.

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Jets' Brandon Marshall says he's 'underpaid' at $7.5 million

One of the most compelling storylines this offseason is Brandon Marshall and whether he returns to the New York Jets in 2017. Marshall, for one, doesn't believe his future with the team is tied to his salary.

"People need to get away from me due $7.5 million," the wide receiver said Wednesday morning on WFAN radio's Boomer and Carton Show. "Get away from my salary. That's underpaid. Any team should be happy to have me for $7.5 million."

Marshall is right, the money isn't prohibitive. According to ESPN data, his $7.5 million salary in 2017 is tied for 13th among receivers in terms of actual cash payout.

The players ahead of him are Tavon Austin ($15 million), Dez Bryant ($13 million), Demaryius Thomas ($12.5 million), Julio Jones ($11.5 million), A.J. Green ($10.5 million), Jeremy Maclin ($10 million), Randall Cobb ($9.5 million), Jordy Nelson ($9.25 million), Doug Baldwin ($8.25 million), Torrey Smith ($8 million), T.Y. Hilton ($8 million) and DeAndre Hopkins ($7.9 million).

Marshall's future appears up in the air because he'll be 33 and he's coming off his worst statistical season since his rookie year in 2006 -- 59 catches, 788 yards and three touchdowns. No doubt, his production was hurt by the poor quarterback play, but he also wasn't the same dynamic player he was in 2015, perhaps because of nagging injuries.

He was overpaid in 2016 ($9.5 million) based on his production, but he was underpaid in 2015 ($9 million), when he re-wrote the Jets' record book for receivers. Funny league, the NFL.

Moving forward, money will be a factor because it's always a factor in the NFL, but it won't be the overriding aspect of this decision even though the $7.5 million is non-guaranteed and would be wiped off the books. It'll be about the fit. Do the Jets have enough confidence in their young receivers to move on from Marshall? Does Marshall, who says his only remaining goal is to win a Super Bowl, want to play for a team that probably will be rebuilding?

The Jets have tough decisions to make. They're pressed against the projected $168 million salary cap, and several high-profile veterans are on the bubble.

"I've probably been underpaid the last six years, if we're really about comparing production to receivers across the league and what I've been doing," Marshall said. "Now, when you only catch 50-something balls for over 700 yards and you're 30-something years old, that's when teams come to you like, 'We don't think you're good anymore.'"

You may recall that Marshall said at the end of the season that he'd "play for free" if his bills are paid (they are, he said). Obviously, he wasn't serious, although some took it that way. Based on Wednesday's comments, he would reject a pay cut to stay with the Jets, although it probably won't come to that. It'll be $7.5 million or a parting of ways.

He's living off the name just as Revis is. Marshall'a production last season warrants vet minimum. He says he'll take a pay cut, but then complains about potentially taking a pay cut. 

Yeah he's nuts. Get him tf outta here.

• 2 weeks later...

Mac took a team that was crud in 2014 and won 10 games in 2015 and almost and should have made the playoffs.   

We are all frustrated by 2016 and know the right answer was to start rebuilding a year ago, but that was easier said than done.

So I am going to start with a clean slate.   I will look at what the Jets do in terms of how they are rebuilding the team starting today.   I am over the past.  The coaching hires look decent.   I want them to cut veterans aggressively and look for longer term answers.   I do not want any quickie fixes at QB   

BM does not belong on this team in 2017 for 2 reasons-

he is unstable and a questionable lockerroom presence.

he drops too many balls

let's move on.

Last year wasn't BM's best season but OTOH you can basically say the same for the entire team. If you want Mac to make cuts based on 2016 performance then most of the team is gone or restructuring. Lots of personal conflict and poor performance on the field.

The question for 2017 is whether BM provides valuable improvement to the roster. I don't think we have enough good WRs on the roster otherwise and who knows if Decker can make it a full season without injury taking him out. Whoever our QB will be needs some vet WRs as targets. That said, if he's causing conflict with the QB, or other parts of the roster, then he needs to go. His contract isn't bad for 2017.

3 hours ago, varjet said:

Mac took a team that was crud in 2014 and won 10 games in 2015 and almost and should have made the playoffs.   

We are all frustrated by 2016 and know the right answer was to start rebuilding a year ago, but that was easier said than done.

So I am going to start with a clean slate.   I will look at what the Jets do in terms of how they are rebuilding the team starting today.   I am over the past.  The coaching hires look decent.   I want them to cut veterans aggressively and look for longer term answers.   I do not want any quickie fixes at QB   

he drops too many balls

let's move on.

Marshall did Bowles' job for him and called out overpaid lazy divas like Wilkerson and Revis who mailed in our season

It's not his fault Ryan Fitzgarbage/Geno/Petty are all horrible.  The fact that he got even 800 yards receiving with that clown carnival of Qb's is amazing

On 1/17/2017 at 8:43 PM, BigRy56 said:

Wow. Mac taking no prisoners. Maybe Marshal WAS a problem in the locker room?

as opposed to sheldon? wilk? pryor?  i don't know but the one thing clear is that he likes to win adn once the jets were out of it he wasn't the same player.  he's still very effective and the one player the defenses paid attention to once decker went down.

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

as opposed to sheldon? wilk? pryor?  i don't know but the one thing clear is that he likes to win adn once the jets were out of it he wasn't the same player.  he's still very effective and the one player the defenses paid attention to once decker went down.

No idea where the Marshall hatred comes from.  He's the only veteran on the team who played hard last year

3 hours ago, varjet said:

he drops too many balls

let's move on.

good points.  the thing is most fans would have guessed about 6-10 to 8-8 for the 2015 team.  and then they also figured about the same record or even worse for this year.  well the jets gave them just about exactly what they predicted.  so where's the beef? the team needs to get better players and get better coaching.

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

good points.  the thing is most fans would have guessed about 6-10 to 8-8 for the 2015 team.  and then they also figured about the same record or even worse for this year.  well the jets gave them just about exactly what they predicted.  so where's the beef? the team needs to get better players and get better coaching.

Problem is outside of qb this is or was a win-now team Which is why we were able to go 10-6 in 2015

Maybe Mac has a brilliant draft in him and we nab Glennon but I'm not holding my breath

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

Problem is outside of qb this is or was a win-now team Which is why we were able to go 10-6 in 2015

Maybe Mac has a brilliant draft in him and we nab Glennon but I'm not holding my breath

Again - people that understood this team knew that they were not going to have the same success in 2016 as 2015.  It's the degree of suckitude that the whole coaching staff/team that no one was prepared for.

30 minutes ago, peebag said:

Again - people that understood this team knew that they were not going to have the same success in 2016 as 2015.  It's the degree of suckitude that the whole coaching staff/team that no one was prepared for.

I agree but I thought we would go 9-7 or 8-8 not 5-11

I knew Fitz would get exposed I advocated trading for Glennon last offseason but Bowles looked like an amateur 

33 minutes ago, peebag said:

I look at this another way . In 2015, the players were playing to impress their new coach, and did a decent job. In 2016, the players were playing for their future with the club, and some for their future pay day, and that is what they put forth . Better to find out before you pay them than after . Some will bring up Wilkerson, but I counter that by saying that the guy was playing hurt and it's tough to be an anchor on a bad leg .

Every single contract signed under this regime has a 2 year get out option, and some are at that and others have a prove it year.  IMO, that's what you have to do while you rebuild while tying to win because of the market you play in .

1 hour ago, thadude said:

No idea where the Marshall hatred comes from.  He's the only veteran on the team who played hard last year

Um, unless his arm was broken (multiple times) I didn't see him playing any harder than the other WRs NOT dropping balls.

1 hour ago, thadude said:

I agree but I thought we would go 9-7 or 8-8 not 5-11

I knew Fitz would get exposed I advocated trading for Glennon last offseason but Bowles looked like an amateur 

People really have to get over this love for Glennon. He is going to cost too much money, definitely has question marks about his playing ability and potential he is going to be 28 years old.

We do not need a high priced, unproven QB.... for fücks sake. can this Glennon bullsh!t die already. 

Archived