Cimini: Jets expected to release Brandon Marshall

Mike135

8 hours ago, JiF said:

The value is addition by subtraction.  He's one of the worst in the league at what he does (most drops, one of the worst catch % in the league) and he's a enormous headache that nobody wants around during a rebuild when you're bound to have terrible QB and win maybe 4 games. 

I think the system that we ran hurts his value, which might be why he was so adamant about Fitzpatrick.  Fitz as a QB goes against the system by going rogue with his reads, and forcing passes.  Geno/Petty and any young QB will follow the system more often than not, and that's bad for Marshall.  He's bound to be defended differently than say Robby Anderson, so I think his presence helps the others thrive.  

For example, you see this more often from young WRs entering the league from spread options where QBs go for pre-snap reads, so someone like Josh Gordon or Michael Thomas get better in the NFL than in college.  I think more than anything, Marshall gave up as the season went on and didn't try nearly as hard out there.  That's a valid reason to get rid of him, as I'm not really advocating that he has to be brought back.  I just think that some team has to be willing to move say a 5th round pick to get him.  Say the Chargers?  Even the Bengals? Someone that is close to contending has to see him as an opportunity to elevate their teams for a 5th round pick or so.   

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I think the system that we ran hurts his value, which might be why he was so adamant about Fitzpatrick.  Fitz as a QB goes against the system by going rogue with his reads, and forcing passes.  Geno/Petty and any young QB will follow the system more often than not, and that's bad for Marshall.  He's bound to be defended differently than say Robby Anderson, so I think his presence helps the others thrive.  

For example, you see this more often from young WRs entering the league from spread options where QBs go for pre-snap reads, so someone like Josh Gordon or Michael Thomas get better in the NFL than in college.  I think more than anything, Marshall gave up as the season went on and didn't try nearly as hard out there.  That's a valid reason to get rid of him, as I'm not really advocating that he has to be brought back.  I just think that some team has to be willing to move say a 5th round pick to get him.  Say the Chargers?  Even the Bengals? Someone that is close to contending has to see him as an opportunity to elevate their teams for a 5th round pick or so.   

He had an insane year the year before in this system.  I think it was just a combo of Fitz sucking and him quitting.  Which is all on him in both regards. 

Just now, JiF said:

He had an insane year the year before in this system.  I think it was just a combo of Fitz sucking and him quitting.  Which is all on him in both regards. 

Last year, Fitz pushed him the ball but faced weaker teams so they were more successful.  His stats dropped off about 40% or so as soon as Fitzpatrick was out.  I agree, Fitz sucking played a big part in the beginning.  I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think Sherman had two interceptions in the Seattle game on plays where Marshall actually beat him.  After Fitz, and it was obvious they weren't contending, I think he just gave up.  I remember a couple of times in the Miami game with Petty where I felt like he didn't even try.  

5 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Where has he said this ? Just curious never seen him complain about it and 600 yards and 3 Tds is thriving now ? Seem like his normal yearly production to me . That 1 100 yard game he had this season .  Just screams thriving 

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/q-a-with-jets-eric-decker-i-want-more-deep-patterns-1.12298066

There are other articles where he basically said playing the outside would extend his career. 

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Bottom line the Jets strived playing the weakest schedule in the NFL in 2015,smoke and mirrors that many didnt see through. Marshall can help a rookie inexperienced QB if his head is in the game and if he's healthy. A veteran WR with his abilities is a must keep with the Jets QB situation and WR depth inexperience. 

Ok, he's older and the last season wasn1too perfect!!! I get it!! but I believe if he can make plays WHYYYY Jets will gonna release him??... Truly, I guess:  If he can make plays and grabs some of balls signed a new contract with 1 or 2 years. And the next off-season he still the same in the last, release him!!! But you guys agree with me...WE DON'T HAVE A GOOD QB who make plays for WR corps. That's it!! Laugh at me, but that it is what I though!!! 

Cya!

17 hours ago, JiF said:

This one is for you since you think he played well - lmfao  "I stunk it up" -  lmfao

I love how he doesnt know how to pronounce Q's last name.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/brandon-marshall-stunk-last-210125184.html

You kill Marshall for "diarrhea of the mouth" yet all you post is him saying the "right" things and being a good soldier 

He said very positive things about Petty/Hack even though they both stink.  What's he supposed to say after having his lowest receiving yards in years "my overpriced, overpaid noodle-arm one read qb couldn't handle facing a tougher schedule and every other qb on our roster was as bad or worse"?

16 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

We have plenty depth at WR .. Marshall , Decker, Enunwa, Anderson , Marshall, Peake .. depth wasn't a issue this year..

So we should cut good players for no real reason?  And btw the Decker injury did hurt us Enunwa was dominating going up against the 3rd or 4th CB the first couple games

Bowles is a sensitive moron

So we should cut good players for no real reason?  And btw the Decker injury did hurt us Enunwa was dominating going up against the 3rd or 4th CB the first couple games

Bowles is a sensitive moron

I agree. Its unfair ti relaese good and great players...Enunwa was a good and real replace for Decker. He was amazing out there. I think the Jets WR group is a good one. We should train better our youngs qbs and try to make better play for them. Let's see how gonna be our next season and draft!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using JetNation.com mobile app

10 hours ago, Perrone_Jets said:

Ok, he's older and the last season wasn1too perfect!!! I get it!! but I believe if he can make plays WHYYYY Jets will gonna release him??... Truly, I guess:  If he can make plays and grabs some of balls signed a new contract with 1 or 2 years. And the next off-season he still the same in the last, release him!!! But you guys agree with me...WE DON'T HAVE A GOOD QB who make plays for WR corps. That's it!! Laugh at me, but that it is what I though!!! 

Cya!

I keep him one more year.   Decker has not shown he can be healthy.

Keep Marshal, then let him be a unrestricted FA and you can get a draft pick back as comp.   Or cut him, lose your #1 WR who is not making huge WR money, and get no compensation back.

4 minutes ago, Perrone_Jets said:

I agree. Its unfair ti relaese good and great players...Enunwa was a good and real replace for Decker. He was amazing out there. I think the Jets WR group is a good one. We should train better our youngs qbs and try to make better play for them. Let's see how gonna be our next season and draft!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using JetNation.com mobile app

Marshall,Decker and Enunwa are good ones the rest are unproven. 

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

I keep him one more year.   Decker has not shown he can be healthy.

Keep Marshal, then let him be a unrestricted FA and you can get a draft pick back as comp.   Or cut him, lose your #1 WR who is not making huge WR money, and get no compensation back.

Let Marshall play hard and try to earn his next contract next year.

The only way this team doesn't go 4-12 or 5-11 next year is if we sign Glennon or Taylor and use spread offense next year with Marshall, Decker, Enunwa and Anderson.  Otherwise cutting our best receiver to make some dumb statement results in us having another disastrous miserable year

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bottom line the Jets strived playing the weakest schedule in the NFL in 2015,smoke and mirrors that many didnt see through. Marshall can help a rookie inexperienced QB if his head is in the game and if he's healthy. A veteran WR with his abilities is a must keep with the Jets QB situation and WR depth inexperience. 

Only reason Mac and Bowles are getting a third year is because we went 10-6 in 2015 and Marshall was our mvp that season

6 minutes ago, thadude said:

Unproven?  Kerley just had a productive season with inept Kaepernick throwing to him

Oh wait I forgot you think Kaepernick is a top 10 qb

Kerley is no longer on the Jets I'm talking about Devin Smith,Jalin Marshall,Robbie Anderson and Charone Peake.....

8 hours ago, thadude said:

Anderson showed a lot of promise last year. I think Peake has potential.  Devin Smith and Jalin Marshall can go away

Jalin Marshall scares the sh*t out of me with the way he carries the ball and drops wayyyy too many passes to be a solid WR. Devin Smith though, he's been hindered by injuries (I think more a matter of bad luck than a poor focus on stretching and conditioning) and poor QB play. Fitz's two biggest weaknesses are locking onto a target and hitting the deep ball. Devin needs to learn how to draw a pass interference call, but he also needs a QB that can throw it in a catchable spot 40+ yards downfield.

14 hours ago, Wolfie2144 said:

Jalin Marshall scares the sh*t out of me with the way he carries the ball and drops wayyyy too many passes to be a solid WR. Devin Smith though, he's been hindered by injuries (I think more a matter of bad luck than a poor focus on stretching and conditioning) and poor QB play. Fitz's two biggest weaknesses are locking onto a target and hitting the deep ball. Devin needs to learn how to draw a pass interference call, but he also needs a QB that can throw it in a catchable spot 40+ yards downfield.

Jalin Marshall stinks and Devin Smith makes Stephen Hill look good

I never again want to see this franchise waste a high draft pick on a WR who can't run a full route tree

3 hours ago, thadude said:

Jalin Marshall stinks and Devin Smith makes Stephen Hill look good

I never again want to see this franchise waste a high draft pick on a WR who can't run a full route tree

In the current day and age of CFB, many WRs (not all) coming out don't run the full route tree. Also, Devin Smith ran the full route tree in the lead up to the draft and showed he has that kind of potential. I think your suggestion that Stephen Hill is in any way better than Devin Smith is very premature. Devin has essentially missed two full training camps and had injuries causing him to miss numerous regular season games. Also, we drafted Devin Smith to be the deep threat in an offense that doesn't take deep shots and doesn't have a QB that can throw downfield. It is a big if, but IF he can stay healthy throughout this offseason and training camp and John Morton implements an offense that extends the field vertically in addition to horizontally, Devin could be the piece we hoped he would be when we drafted him.

On 2/4/2017 at 11:11 AM, joewilly12 said:

Kerley is no longer on the Jets I'm talking about Devin Smith,Jalin Marshall,Robbie Anderson and Charone Peake.....

And yet Anderson put up similar numbers to Kerley this season .. with a much better YPC average ..

On 1/18/2017 at 10:00 AM, Dcat said:

yes I am.  and you are making a mountain of a mole hill with it.  I guess anything to fuel the irrational hate is fine.  Marshall was dinged up all year.  He did not quit as you claim.  Nor was he a locker room cancer type as you claim.  Why not go after the lazy, entitled assholes (like Mo Wilk and multiple others) who truly deserve it?  Carry on with your agenda dude.  But it's pretty much all wrong.

Sorry but he did quite on routes, had poor concentration ; thus the dropped balls.  And frankly he did piss people off in the locker room and it was a "fact" reported by the media.... so sorry dude you wrong. 

5 hours ago, Wolfie2144 said:

In the current day and age of CFB, many WRs (not all) coming out don't run the full route tree. Also, Devin Smith ran the full route tree in the lead up to the draft and showed he has that kind of potential. I think your suggestion that Stephen Hill is in any way better than Devin Smith is very premature. Devin has essentially missed two full training camps and had injuries causing him to miss numerous regular season games. Also, we drafted Devin Smith to be the deep threat in an offense that doesn't take deep shots and doesn't have a QB that can throw downfield. It is a big if, but IF he can stay healthy throughout this offseason and training camp and John Morton implements an offense that extends the field vertically in addition to horizontally, Devin could be the piece we hoped he would be when we drafted him.

Hill was a total bust but he was a way more productive player first couple years of his career that's not even disputable

Colleges using spread formations with quarterbacks making one read don't usually affect route tree. 

Archived