How bad do you guys miss Pennington right now?

tfine

On 1/18/2017 at 11:36 PM, JetPotato said:

Purely a game manager. Couldn't make all the throws. He excelled at the easy stuff, which is what they gave him. Wasn't going to lose the game for you, but wasn't going to come back and win very often either.

Despite that, after we let him go, he took a vastly inferior Dolphins team to the playoffs while we sat in the post season.  He was an excellent game manager which made up to some degree for his depleted physical skills.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Despite that, after we let him go, he took a vastly inferior Dolphins team to the playoffs while we sat in the post season.  He was an excellent game manager which made up to some degree for his depleted physical skills.

Vastly inferior?  I don't know about that plus the phins out coached the hell out of Mangini and Belicheat that year using Ronnie Brown in the wildcat 

5 minutes ago, thadude said:

Vastly inferior?  I don't know about that plus the phins out coached the hell out of Mangini and Belicheat that year using Ronnie Brown in the wildcat 

The Dolphins went from 1 and 15 in 2007 to 11 and 5 and division winner with Chad at the helm in 2008, and that's with Sparano as the HC.  I would say they were vastly inferior before Chad.

On 1/20/2017 at 1:47 PM, SAR I said:

You and I agree on many things, Chad is not one of them.

While Chad '02 looked exciting, the reality is that injuries were a part of his DNA, it's who he was, he simply was not durable enough to be an NFL quarterback.  If Sanchez was defined as a turnover machine, if Favre was defined as a disinterested carpetbagger, if O'Donnell was defined as a one-hit-wonder, then Chad is defined as an injury-prone glass statue. 

Point being, you can't use injuries as an excuse for Chad; injuries are Chad.

SAR I

Just like Favre's hallmark was throwing INTs in big games at the worst times.

2 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

The Dolphins went from 1 and 15 in 2007 to 11 and 5 and division winner with Chad at the helm in 2008, and that's with Sparano as the HC.  I would say they were vastly inferior before Chad.

And the 2007 Jets went 1-8 with Chad and 3-4 with Clemens, so... maybe he doesn't deserve sole credit for any and all improvements to a different team in a different year.  That is unless of course it really was all just about the QB, and perhaps the Phins could have found themselves with another undefeated season with Clemens under center.

5 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

They had the top pick in every round in the draft and got Ricky Williams back

4 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

And the 2007 Jets went 1-8 with Chad and 3-4 with Clemens, so... maybe he doesn't deserve sole credit for any and all improvements to a different team in a different year.  That is unless of course it really was all just about the QB, and perhaps the Phins could have found themselves with another undefeated season with Clemens under center.

The following 2 years with Henne at QB they went 7 and 9.  Not saying Chad should get sole credit , but his game management was a big part of their success in 08.

2 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

The following 2 years with Henne at QB they went 7 and 9.  Not saying Chad should get sole credit , but his game management was a big part of their success in 08.

Henne's first year, they went 0-3 with Ole Penny Boy before finishing 7-9.  That doesn't really help your argument.

On 1/20/2017 at 6:44 PM, Warfish said:

Lol. No.

Probably because I was speaking hypothetically.

Ken O'Brien was drafted i 1983, we had a young team full of talent that just reached the AFC Championship game.  He never won a SINGLE playoff game as a starting QB for the Jets BUT when he was benched in 1986 his BACKUP won a playoff game and I believe left w/ the lead a week later before Ken came in and destroyed our SB dreams.  

On 1/21/2017 at 1:26 PM, gEYno said:

Hmmm... I thought you liked to win.  Here, you seem content to be tied for a while before losing by 21.

I'm not making an excuse for Brett Farve.  I'm not talking about Favre in an evaluative capacity at all.  I'm just pointing out that in the year you're speaking about, two QBs who are historically undoubtedly better than Chad Pennington, were injured.  One played, one did not.  But, this is a fact.  You are using this season to bolster an argument about Chad Pennington being a good Quarterback.  I'm simply pointing out that winning the AFCE that season is not the accomplishment you make it out to be.  Now that we're done with facts, I'd also speculate that if Farve, healthy or not, helped the Jets win the AFC Championship, you'd focus on Tom Brady's injury.  Because, confirmation bias is kind of your thing.

so how come when Chad was injured(w/ a severe injury to his throwing shoulder) he led us to the doorstep of the title game?  I love to win which is why I like Chad and Mark more than Favre(who sabotaged a SB chance) and O'Brien.

On 1/22/2017 at 9:10 AM, long suffering jets fan said:

Chad at his best:

3 minutes ago, peebag said:

Chad at his best:

w/ rookie Ted Ginn(who was terrible at the time) as his #1 WR and Davone Bess as his #2.  by the way, the vaunted Rikcy Williams/Ronnie Brown duo averaged 2.3 YPC but Chad against that D w/ those weapons was supposed to be great that day.  oh Jet fans, we are so dumb.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Ken O'Brien was drafted i 1983, we had a young team full of talent that just reached the AFC Championship game.  He never won a SINGLE playoff game as a starting QB for the Jets BUT when he was benched in 1986 his BACKUP won a playoff game and I believe left w/ the lead a week later before Ken came in and destroyed our SB dreams.  

so how come when Chad was injured(w/ a severe injury to his throwing shoulder) he led us to the doorstep of the title game?  I love to win which is why I like Chad and Mark more than Favre(who sabotaged a SB chance) and O'Brien.

Repeat the bold as much as you like... that's still not a thing.  It's really a whole lot of effort put into to trying to sensationalize a failure.  If you're that impressed with making it to the divisional round then that's totally up to you, and so be it if that makes you happy, but at least call it what it actually is.

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Repeat the bold as much as you like... that's still not a thing.  It's really a whole lot of effort put into to trying to sensationalize a failure.  If you're that impressed with making it to the divisional round then that's totally up to you, and so be it if that makes you happy, but at least call it what it actually is.

we have made 4 AFC Championship Games in our HISTORY, we were a kick away in 2004 despite Chad playing w/a  torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder and putting his career on the line yet jet fans still cannot appreciate that. that's why we deserve 2016.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

we have made 4 AFC Championship Games in our HISTORY, we were a kick away in 2004 despite Chad playing w/a  torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder and putting his career on the line yet jet fans still cannot appreciate that. that's why we deserve 2016.

Pennington had nothing to do with the close score in that game and, in the end, they still lost.  If you really insist on giving credit, perhaps in the future you say how Santana Moss and Reggie Tongue had the Jets on the so-called "doorstep" of the AFC championship.  That would at least be a little more realistic in your attempt to give credit for something that the team ultimately failed to do.

13 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Pennington had nothing to do with the close score in that game and, in the end, they still lost.  If you really insist on giving credit, perhaps in the future you say how Santana Moss and Reggie Tongue had the Jets on the so-called "doorstep" of the AFC championship.  That would at least be a little more realistic in your attempt to give credit for something that the team ultimately failed to do.

he had a lot to do w/ being in that game though. w/o him we aren't a playoff team.

19 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he had a lot to do w/ being in that game though. w/o him we aren't a playoff team.

But you are not crediting him for them simply playing in that game, which would at least be a bit more understandable, regardless of anyone's differing opinions.  Rather, you are attempting to credit him for the loss in that game being a close loss (i.e., "the doorstep"), when in reality he deserves far more blame for that individual game's outcome than he does credit.

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

But you are not crediting him for them simply playing in that game, which would at least be a bit more understandable, regardless of anyone's differing opinions.  Rather, you are attempting to credit him for the loss in that game being a close loss (i.e., "the doorstep"), when in reality he deserves far more blame for that individual game's outcome than he does credit.

I have said a million times chad was not good in that game, what more do I need to say?  I said the D and STs kept us in that game but we were still on the doorstep of playing for the AFC Championship w/ him under C.

So, I took the weekend.  Spent some time with my loved ones.  Had a nice dinner with parents the gf on Saturday night.  Crusher a few episodes of the "The Killing" on Netflix before the Conference Championship games.  Then I watched some great Football (joking, obvi) and really had some solid time to reflect on this thread.

And guess what?  I still dont miss Chadwick Pennington. 

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Exactly.  If we had a real quarterback, we win that game going away.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I have said a million times chad was not good in that game, what more do I need to say?  I said the D and STs kept us in that game but we were still on the doorstep of playing for the AFC Championship w/ him under C.

That's the wrong way to look at it.  The appropriate way:

The D and ST's played well but the QB prevented us from getting to the AFC Championship Game.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

That's the wrong way to look at it.  The appropriate way:

The D and ST's played well but the QB prevented us from getting to the AFC Championship Game.

SAR I

the QB was also a major reason why we got to that game though so would we have been in that game w/o him?  I don't think so.

34 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Hypothetical.

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.  If we had a real quarterback, we win that game going away.

SAR I

Hypothetical.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

maybe? or maybe we had a Brett favre and he throws 3 INts and we get blown out rather than have a chance? who knows.

lmfao, this guy... wow.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

maybe? or maybe we had a Brett favre and he throws 3 INts and we get blown out rather than have a chance? who knows.

Defense holds Steelers to 10 points, holds Roethlisberger a 57.3 QBR.  Defense creates 3 turnovers and scores 7 points.  Special teams scores 7 points.  Team only takes 4 penalties for 35 yards.  Hall Of Fame RB and Co. effectively produce over 100 yards rushing.

Chad Pennington takes 3 sacks and throws a pick, goes 3 for 12 on third down. 

No Jets quarterback is ever handed an easier playoff game to win.  So he loses it the only way he knows how, noodle arm, afraid of playoff pressure, returns the favor to the Dolphins in '08.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Defense holds Steelers to 10 points, holds Roethlisberger a 57.3 QBR.  Defense creates 3 turnovers and scores 7 points.  Special teams scores 7 points.  Team only takes 4 penalties for 35 yards.  Hall Of Fame RB and Co. effectively produce over 100 yards rushing.

Chad Pennington takes 3 sacks and throws a pick, goes 3 for 12 on third down. 

No Jets quarterback is ever handed an easier playoff game to win.  So he loses it the only way he knows how, noodle arm, afraid of playoff pressure, returns the favor to the Dolphins in '08.

SAR I

D didn't hold Steelers to 10 pts, they held them to 17 and let's not forget this was the FIRST postseason game of Ben's career.

so w/ no run game and awful WRs he was supposed to beat Baltimore in 2008?  Please explain that one.

44 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the QB was also a major reason why we got to that game though so would we have been in that game w/o him?  I don't think so.

I agree.  Chad Pennington was a solid regular season quarterback.

But he was terrible in the postseason.  And he couldn't stay healthy.  And he couldn't raise the level of play of those around him.

He was Mark Sanchez without the postseason eye of the tiger and with a better team to lead.  It's what makes him the worst QB in Jets history.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

But he was terrible in the postseason.  And he couldn't stay healthy.  And he couldn't raise the level of play of those around him.

He was Mark Sanchez without the postseason eye of the tiger and with a better team to lead.  It's what makes him the worst QB in Jets history.

SAR I

Difference is Mark Sanchez would have easily beat the Steelers in 2004 with the performance the D and ST provided.  

30 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

D didn't hold Steelers to 10 pts, they held them to 17 and let's not forget this was the FIRST postseason game of Ben's career.

so w/ no run game and awful WRs he was supposed to beat Baltimore in 2008?  Please explain that one.

The D held the Steelers to 10 points until the 4th quarter when they finally buckled.

The Dolphins had a good chance to beat the Ravens, but Pennington's no-show was just abysmal.  4 interceptions, 2 for 10 on third down.  Score tied 3-3 deep in the second quarter before Chad throws a pick-six.  The Dolphins defense only gave up 13 points through three quarters, quite respectable, that's winning playoff football.  Joe Flacco was 9 of 23 with a pathetic 59.1 QBR yet his team won an embarrassing blowout.

Please stop defending Chad.  Unlike Sanchez, the playoff numbers don't make a case for the guy.  He was a marginal regular season quarterback who couldn't stay healthy and was a playoff choker.  A lesser, more injured Andy Dalton.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Difference is Mark Sanchez would have easily beat the Steelers in 2004 with the performance the D and ST provided.  

Precisely.

Chad Pennington is the worst QB in Jets history because he was precisely the type of fraud who could undermine the best core of offensive and defensive players we had in the last 40 years.  If we had a better playoff quarterback, even to the level of Mark Sanchez, we'd have gone to a Super Bowl one of those noodle-arm years.

SAR I

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

if we could have combined mark and Chad we really would have had something special.

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The D held the Steelers to 10 points until the 4th quarter when they finally buckled.

The Dolphins had a good chance to beat the Ravens, but Pennington's no-show was just abysmal.  4 interceptions, 2 for 10 on third down.  Score tied 3-3 deep in the second quarter before Chad throws a pick-six.  The Dolphins defense only gave up 13 points through three quarters, quite respectable, that's winning playoff football.  Joe Flacco was 9 of 23 with a pathetic 59.1 QBR yet his team won an embarrassing blowout.

Please stop defending Chad.  Unlike Sanchez, the playoff numbers don't make a case for the guy.  He was a marginal regular season quarterback who couldn't stay healthy and was a playoff choker.  A lesser, more injured Andy Dalton.

SAR I

finally buckled?  games are 4 qtrs long and Pitt's O had the ball for about 31 mins in regulation, that's not crazy in their favor.  

I don't care about the dolphin game, what I know is they couldn't run it and they had awful weapons to throw to.

he was a very good reg season QB who was a decent playoff QB.

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Precisely.

Chad Pennington is the worst QB in Jets history because he was precisely the type of fraud who could undermine the best core of offensive and defensive players we had in the last 40 years.  If we had a better playoff quarterback, even to the level of Mark Sanchez, we'd have gone to a Super Bowl one of those noodle-arm years.

SAR I

that is such a silly thing to say, worst QB in Jets history.  you are smarter than that.

best core of O and D players? what? BP left us in cap hell, if not for the expansion draft we would have been a team full of UDFAs in 2002.

Archived